PDA

View Full Version : Ward: "You can't put a value on leadership"

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 07:02 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785478-66.stm

Receiver Hines Ward, who went through his own protracted contract talks in 2005 and held out 10 days at the start of training camp, does not like the way things are shaping up in the Steelers' locker room for 2007.

"It sets a precedent," Ward said, "because other guys look at Alan as 'Wow, this guy is a great citizen, he does a lot for the city of Pittsburgh, he's obviously a Pro Bowl player. He's done everything you ask him to do.' The younger guys just sit back and look at that situation.

"It's different now; there's no question this locker room is totally different. You lose a locker-room favorite like Joey -- not having Joey on that field is different. It's a different feel. God forbid if Alan's not out there.

"You can't put a value on leadership and being a veteran. Alan is the first guy to get here, the last guy to leave. He's worked just as hard as anybody on this team," Ward said.

"He paid his dues, he put in his time and he's a productive ballplayer. ... If he's upset, Wow! But, at the same time, he's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up."

This is what I've been saying all along, ever since Joey left, since Cowher left, and now with the problems that Alan is having and Hines is speaking from his heart here just like he should. We can't expect him to not say what's on his mind when he cares about this team so much and he's been here as long as he has.

This team is different now, totally different regardless of how many faces are still there from last year. It's a different feel in the locker room. In the past this team knew who to look too and they felt like the organization would take care of their own when it comes down to the big time core players like Joey, Alan, and now players like Ben, Troy, etc. Right now this team is in a state of flux. It doesn't matter if we're still in the offseason. It's all well and good to come out in mini camps and say "hey we're excited, things are going good" etc. but when it comes down to a game situation on the field with the outcome in the balance who are they going to rally around? I've said it all along that I like the makeup of our team and we have the talent to get back into the playoff race in 2007, but that we could also very well struggle in 2007 especially early on. These players are human beings with emotions regardless of who is the coach, how much money they make, or what attitude we as fans think they should have.

Having said all that it's still very possible for us to come out like gang busters in 2007 and blow the doors off the competition just like we did in 1992 when Cowher took over. Tomlin has inherited a team full of talent and has a good coaching staff around him. He's got all the potential to be a great coach and us to have a solid 2007 year filled with hope for a return to glory....but he's got a lot of issues right now on this team in the locker room that he needs to get a handle on before it gets out of control. The players will still show up and play but when things like this go down with guys that you've been teammates with for years, it always sticks in the back of your mind as a person so we'll see how the team responds and how Tomlin deals with it all.

:towelwave:

Aunkster
05-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I think youll have these problems no matter what team it is ,whenever there is a new coach that comes into the system,it will just take a little time to get all this worked out

these are just my thoughts

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 07:21 AM
No doubt, every new coach that comes in has issues that he'll deal with and it's good that all this stuff is happening now rather than in the middle of a season like it does for other teams. He's still got time to work with this team and get everything ironed out and we as fans can only hope that he does and support him 100% .... but at the same time there's more questions about this team than I've seen in a long time. We let players go all the time just like anyone else but we've never seen a Steeler locker room being questioned and that's what's been happening all offseason long from players like Joey, Alan, Hines, Troy, some of the leaders on this team so let's hope it all gets straightened out :tt02:

Here is what some other teammates are saying about the situation.. just look for the media links in the middle of the page.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_507237.html

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Hines just needs to shut the **** up. What ever happen to the no comment. If its so bad playing for the Steelers then retire. I'm so sick of hearing about all these million dollar players whining about their value.lol

**** my pay constantly gets cut at work. You know what I can't whine or threaten to hold out. I have to take it like man.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah but if someone will pay you 30 million and your currently employer who've spent the last 10 years with only offers you 14 million when you know they could pay you if they wanted too but they chose not too because they don't think your worth it or that you can't do it anymore. You'd be pissed too, and your coworkers who were also up for a similar raise soon see how you're being treated then yes they are going to gripe too.

That's life in the NFL, it sucks :bluelol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah but if someone will pay you 30 million and your currently employer who've spent the last 10 years with only offers you 14 million when you know they could pay you if they wanted too but they chose not too because they don't think your worth it or that you can't do it anymore. You'd be pissed too, and your coworkers who were also up for a similar raise soon see how you're being treated then yes they are going to gripe too.

I just read that Faneca wants 24 million over the first three years of new deal. The Rooney's only want to give him 19. But still whining about through the media isn't good Top. Plus Hines adding his :2cents: when its none of his business isn't good either. This locker room is going to be divided and thats really unfair to Coach Tomlin. So I think the Steelers would be smart to rid all players that could be problems for Tomlin. I don't care who you are. Like I said I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan not a fan of a certain player. Players/Coaches come and they go.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Now you know there's no way we're going to start getting rid of players like Hines or Troy because they voice displeasure with how their teammate were treated when it comes to contracts. Niether of those players are distractions in general but they are allowed to voice their concerns. Sure you'd rather them do it behind closed doors and sure they have but to ask them to not say what's on their mind if it's the truth, then so be it.

You're right this locker room being divided is not a good thing, it's not something we're used to seeing as fans. Our team has always been tight and stuck together but in these uncertain times it's natural for them to be worried about their future when they see how their long time teammates are treated after all the good things they've done.

I don't like where this is going either, it worries me, but to say it's not fair to Tomlin though you have to see the players side too.

Either way this all sucks :bigthumb:

25MVPKing
05-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I just read that Faneca wants 24 million over the first three years of new deal. The Rooney's only want to give him 19. But still whining about through the media isn't good Top. Plus Hines adding his :2cents: when its none of his business isn't good either. This locker room is going to be divided and thats really unfair to Coach Tomlin. So I think the Steelers would be smart to rid all players that could be problems for Tomlin. I don't care who you are. Like I said I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan not a fan of a certain player. Players/Coaches come and they go.
If the Steelers offer 19 and Faneca wants 24, I see that as being close enough to play ball... not a "non-offer" as Faneca says. 19 is about 20% less than 24 and as Solomon Wilcots said on NFL Total Access, the Steelers are a 3/4ths teir team. They won't pay top dollar.

The problem isn't that the Rooneys are only offering 19--it's that moronic owners are signing other guards--who don't have probowls--to insanely large contracts.

As far as Hines, you'd think that after going through a similar situation he would know that's how the team works. If Ward or Faneca aren't happy, they can leave... but they want to be Steelers.

They just aren't willing to sacrifice as much to be Steelers. They shouldn't be upset at the Steelers, they should move on with their lives.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Now you know there's no way we're going to start getting rid of players like Hines or Troy because they voice displeasure with how their teammate were treated when it comes to contracts. Niether of those players are distractions in general but they are allowed to voice their concerns. Sure you'd rather them do it behind closed doors and sure they have but to ask them to not say what's on their mind if it's the truth, then so be it.

You're right this locker room being divided is not a good thing, it's not something we're used to seeing as fans. Our team has always been tight and stuck together but in these uncertain times it's natural for them to be worried about their future when they see how their long time teammates are treated after all the good things they've done.

I don't like where this is going either, it worries me, but to say it's not fair to Tomlin though you have to see the players side too.

Either way this all sucks :bigthumb:

Well what makes this whole Faneca saga even stranger is...What are the Steelers doing with him? Lets see you won't meet his contract demands and then you won't trade him when he demands to be traded. So the Rooneys/Front office could have avoided this situation no doubt.

I just don't like when these players bring their battles out in the open and especially with the media. The media loves this type of garbage since it makes a good story.

I'm going to put this topic to bed. But the Steelers need to either give him his money or trade him. Keeping him for just this season makes no sense.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 12:40 PM
You're right dude, it does make no sense :lol:

I was all for not trading Faneca all along because I wanted him to stay but since there's no way he's going to stay and he's been saying that since February then it makes no sense to not trade him and get some value for him. Should have been done during the draft IMO.

oh well, such is life being a Steeler fan ;)

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 12:44 PM
They just aren't willing to sacrifice as much to be Steelers. They shouldn't be upset at the Steelers, they should move on with their lives.

Sounds like Faneca is trying to do just that. The Steelers won't let him move on.

strong D
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
well ward might not be a steeler next year either with his roster bonus near 9 million dollars so maybe he is displaying his displeasure now:dunno:

25MVPKing
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Sounds like Faneca is trying to do just that. The Steelers won't let him move on.
Actually it appears as though Faneca doesn't want to move on with his life, finish his legally binding contract and then find a team to pay him the big buck$. He wants a trade. The Steelers don't have to give him what he wants.

And hopefully the Steelers will trade him so he takes his piehole somewhere else and both benefit. Faneca by getting a new team that will pay him and the Steelers by getting someone who wants to be there.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 01:00 PM
All I know if Ben was pulling what Faneca is then Teemont would be all over him.lol

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
All I know if Ben was pulling what Faneca is then Teemont would be all over him.lol

B/c Ben has no leverage.....he has been in the league for what three years? let Ben make a Pro-Bowl or an All-Pro team, then maybe I will have a reason to get his back...lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 01:24 PM
B/c Ben has no leverage.....he has been in the league for what three years? let Ben make a Pro-Bowl or an All-Pro team, then maybe I will have a reason to get his back...lol.

I'm just messing with you buddy.:lol: All I know the Steelers better do something with Faneca. It makes no sense to let him just play out his contract. Either give him the cash he wants or trade him.lol Even if its just for a 7th rounder and a bum OG. It would be better then nothing.lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm just messing with you buddy.:lol: All I know the Steelers better do something with Faneca. It makes no sense to let him just play out his contract. Either give him the cash he wants or trade him.lol Even if its just for a 7th rounder and a bum OG. It would be better then nothing.lol

If all we can get for Faneca is a 7th rounder than we're worse off than I thought we were. :lol:

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Thats why it is so frustrating. It's like the FO doesn't give a ****. I know these guys get paid a lot, but the owners are getting paid a LOT more, and making all of their money off of the players. Just give him a backloaded contract and cut him before the money gets too big.....

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 01:36 PM
If all we can get for Faneca is a 7th rounder than we're worse off than I thought we were. :lol:

I would take a bag of chips and 6pack of beer just for Faneca. It would be better then nothing.lol For real though anything in return would be better then nothing.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Thats why it is so frustrating. It's like the FO doesn't give a ****. I know these guys get paid a lot, but the owners are getting paid a LOT more, and making all of their money off of the players. Just give him a backloaded contract and cut him before the money gets too big.....

I know the owners are getting paid alot more then the players and I agree they should reward their players. But Teemont, I don't like when players use the media to voice their displeasure with the organization. Keep all that stuff inhouse and then I wouldn't voice anything negative about a player. Just like when Hines held out. I thought it was wrong for him to do that.

25MVPKing
05-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Just give him a backloaded contract and cut him before the money gets too big.....

:hail: Now there's an idea I can get down on. :bigthumb: Sign him to 5 years - $42 million. Trade him or cut him after year 3.

1st - $5
2nd - $6
3rd - $7
4th - $10
5th - $15

:hilarious:

edit: actually, he wants more than that it would have to be

7-8-9-12-15, 5 years - $51 million

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Always loved Mr. wards hard work & leadership on & off the field :tt02:

Remember when Cowher pissed me off one year,when he benched hines
for edwards :cursin:

But we all seen the true steeler work his way back into the starting roll
and the other get his *** cut :tt02:

Any rookie's want to know the meaning of being a steeler,,,,all they have to
do is look at hines IMO

Koopa
05-12-2007, 02:55 PM

i can't believe you are justifying what faneca is doing, faneca is a bitch, and does not deserve to act the way he's acting, sure he has the right to be upset, but not the right to cause a problem, like he's doing now

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Im just looking at it from the players point of view and not from the fans point of view. Of course I want Faneca here, and to shut up and play just like everyone else. At the same time if you look it from the other side, where he's coming from and where his teammates know he's coming from you can get a different perspective on it.

Im not saying that I agree with everything Faneca is doing or saying but I am saying that I can see where he's coming from and he has a right to be upset is all :bigthumb:

Koopa
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
no player has the right to do what he doing, no matter how great they are, **** their side of the view.....he is becoming a cancer to this team, and we need to get rid of his fat ***, cause even if he does come and play all out, he still not gonna care, and some of the younger guys are gonna look at him and say, if this fat **** don't care why should we care.......... he's on a different mission then everyone else, everyone wants to get back to the superbowl, he wants to get his bank as fat as he is......... he needs to be traded ASAP, no player that acts like he's acting deserves to wear black and gold

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 03:35 PM
:popcorn:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 03:38 PM
no player has the right to do what he doing, no matter how great they are, **** their side of the view.....he is becoming a cancer to this team, and we need to get rid of his fat ***, cause even if he does come and play all out, he still not gonna care, and some of the younger guys are gonna look at him and say, if this fat **** don't care why should we care.......... he's on a different mission then everyone else, everyone wants to get back to the superbowl, he wants to get his bank as fat as he is......... he needs to be traded ASAP, no player that acts like he's acting deserves to wear black and gold

Everyone wants to get back to the Super Bowl? I don't know about that and I question alot of the vets desire for another Super Bowl. To me Hines Ward is another one thats ego needs to get in check since winning the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP. His need to be the team spokesman and commenting on the Faneca situation when its no business of his is telling me that he also doesn't like the new direction of the team...plus on the way the Rooney's handle Faneca's contract. So that could be another problem. I swear I never seen a team let a Super Bowl win go to their heads like this team.:lol:

I think Hines should just say no comment and go about his business.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 03:43 PM
That's just it Koop, you're looking at from a perspective of the fans, just like you and me. We'll never see in a lifetime the kind of money these people get. No one in the world who plays a game is worth the amount of money these NFL teams throw at them but the fact is somebody will pay him and he feels he wants atleast top 10 guard money to stay in Pittsburgh and he's not getting it so at this point he should have been/should be traded so we can atleast get something out of him.

I can't say I blame him for wanting paid..BUT as I said I don't condone how he's going about it completely or what he's saying, just that I can see where he's coming from. I wish he'd go about it different but at the same time it's his burden to handle.

I don't think Alan would become a locker room cancer, once the season starts he'll shut up and play. He'll play hard because he's trying to get a payday next year somewhere else. We shall see :bigthumb:

Steelerlyn
05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Everyone wants to get back to the Super Bowl? I don't know about that and I question alot of the vets desire for another Super Bowl. To me Hines Ward is another one thats ego needs to get in check since winning the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP. His need to be the team spokesman and commenting on the Faneca situation when its no business of his is telling me that he also doesn't like the new direction of the team...plus on the way the Rooney's handle Faneca's contract. So that could be another problem. I swear I never seen a team let a Super Bowl win go to their heads like this team.:lol:

I think Hines should just say no comment and go about his business.

If any of them were just for winning, they would say "no comment " and go about their business.

Koopa
05-12-2007, 03:48 PM
That's just it Koop, you're looking at from a perspective of the fans, just like you and me. We'll never see in a lifetime the kind of money these people get. No one in the world who plays a game is worth the amount of money these NFL teams throw at them but the fact is somebody will pay him and he feels he wants atleast top 10 guard money to stay in Pittsburgh and he's not getting it so at this point he should have been/should be traded so we can atleast get something out of him.

I can't say I blame him for wanting paid..BUT as I said I don't condone how he's going about it completely or what he's saying, just that I can see where he's coming from. I wish he'd go about it different but at the same time it's his burden to handle.

I don't think Alan would become a locker room cancer, once the season starts he'll shut up and play. He'll play hard because he's trying to get a payday next year somewhere else. We shall see :bigthumb:

you think that cause you are a fan, but he won't play hard, he's gonna play not to get hurt, he's even said why should he play with no insurance for next year, that's a sign of not going out full force...........i hope they don't let him play and i hope he gets fined huge for not showing up, at this point **** a trade just cut him and **** all over his belongings......... he can go to another team and go to your pro bowls, but he'll never play in another superbowl i guarantee you that

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
If any of them were just for winning, they would say "no comment " and go about their business.

Best thing said all day on this thread :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I want to think he'll play hard and tough like always based on his past work ethic on the field and in camp. I can't say that for sure though of course, 100 % that he will or won't, I can only hope because yes Im a fan. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Yeah b/c being a lemming is the way Champions act.......

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I will play Guard free just to be a Steeler. To suit up in the Black N' Gold and step out on Heinz Field, that would be all that I needed.

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I will play Guard free just to be a Steeler. To suit up in the Black N' Gold and step out on Heinz Field, that would be all that I needed.

then your *** would get racked by some 335 LBS DT for 3 str8 plays, and you would be askin for more money since you arms, legs, and spine would never be the same again.

Stlrs4Life
05-12-2007, 06:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Hines can leave also. It'll save us even more money. Hines is definately not a leader of this team. He doesn't act like one.

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Nope I could be paralyzed for the rest of my life and never have a happier memory than those moments that I got to wear the Black N Gold

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Nope I could be paralyzed for the rest of my life and never have a happier memory than those moments that I got to wear the Black N Gold

Well thats fine for you. But seeing as you would be hypothetically paralyzed, how would you earn money for your familly? Chances are, Alan is not going to be working after he is done with football, so he wants to secure his future and the future of his family, if he has the oppurtunity to do that, then goo don him. I know I sure would.

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
He just finished making millions of dollars, why would he ever need to work again? Why would anyone need to make 50 million dollars in their lifetime let alone 4 or 5 years? He should already be set for life (as well as the rest of his family) and playing more for the love of the game.

BlackGold4vr
05-12-2007, 07:09 PM
you think that cause you are a fan, but he won't play hard, he's gonna play not to get hurt, he's even said why should he play with no insurance for next year, that's a sign of not going out full force...........i hope they don't let him play and i hope he gets fined huge for not showing up, at this point **** a trade just cut him and **** all over his belongings......... he can go to another team and go to your pro bowls, but he'll never play in another superbowl i guarantee you that

:markit:

Koop's right on the money here. Teams that spend 7-8-9 million on an offensive guard have nothing left to offer the real skilled position players. Hence no shot at another ring!

SteelersWoman
05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
He just finished making millions of dollars, why would he ever need to work again? Why would anyone need to make 50 million dollars in their lifetime let alone 4 or 5 years? He should already be set for life (as well as the rest of his family) and playing more for the love of the game.

Well said, and (pardon the pun) right on the money!
:clap:

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 07:55 PM

So if you have an oppurtunity to earn 50 million more dollars you are just going to turn i tdown for 20 million? Granted 20 mil is a lot of money, but you ar elosing 30 mil right there. Thats not even the point, this is about MARKET VALUE, don't blame Faneca for wanting what guys who are no where near as good as him are getting.

You all make it seem so easy to say, "Oh I'm already a millionre, I don't need any more money, so I'll just turn ndown 30 million dollars that I could make." Show me one person who would not take an oppurtunity to earn 30 mil extra, and I'll show you an idiot.

Koopa
05-12-2007, 08:23 PM
So if you have an oppurtunity to earn 50 million more dollars you are just going to turn i tdown for 20 million? Granted 20 mil is a lot of money, but you ar elosing 30 mil right there. Thats not even the point, this is about MARKET VALUE, don't blame Faneca for wanting what guys who are no where near as good as him are getting.

You all make it seem so easy to say, "Oh I'm already a millionre, I don't need any more money, so I'll just turn ndown 30 million dollars that I could make." Show me one person who would not take an oppurtunity to earn 30 mil extra, and I'll show you an idiot.

no one isn't really saying he shouldn't get paid, must of the beef is with him being so damn unprofessional about the situation.....while he does deserve that money......the steelers shouldn't give it to him, we got way more important players coming up to pay, a guard can be replaced in next years draft with a first or second round pick.................faneca shines when we run 90% of the time, we ain't a that kind of team no more, so the rooneys feel if we pay him market value it will be overpaying for someone that doesn't shine unless you just run the ball down ppls throats............. we need to trade him, get a first rounder out of him, cause if the pats can get a first rounder for branch, we should have no problem getting a first rounder for him, hell maybe even a 2nd or 3rd rounder if the rooneys don't want to pay first round talent

so all in all, faneca is just another me me player that would rather go the t.o. route with the media then keep it between him and the management and just let it play out........he's a hoe bag for that

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Plus keep in mind when you're talking about millions of dollars here it's a whole different lifestyle than what most of us are accustomed too. The NFL throws around millions like most of us throw around 100's :lol:

I just want this situation to chill out for awhile, and it will once this minicamp is over then Faneca will be back for training camp and we can get on with life and finding out how good our backups are going to be.

Steelerlyn
05-12-2007, 09:07 PM
no one isn't really saying he shouldn't get paid, must of the beef is with him being so damn unprofessional about the situation.....while he does deserve that money......the steelers shouldn't give it to him, we got way more important players coming up to pay, a guard can be replaced in next years draft with a first or second round pick.................faneca shines when we run 90% of the time, we ain't a that kind of team no more, so the rooneys feel if we pay him market value it will be overpaying for someone that doesn't shine unless you just run the ball down ppls throats............. we need to trade him, get a first rounder out of him, cause if the pats can get a first rounder for branch, we should have no problem getting a first rounder for him, hell maybe even a 2nd or 3rd rounder if the rooneys don't want to pay first round talent

so all in all, faneca is just another me me player that would rather go the t.o. route with the media then keep it between him and the management and just let it play out........he's a hoe bag for that

Koop, I never thought I would say this about anything you have written, but, buddy, that was
very well said!~

Blitzburghpete
05-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Here's my 2 p's worth.
Guys, how about backing the FO in what they are doing and trusting them?

Yeah Faneca is a great guard but is he the guard he once was, or is his name bigger than the actual play these days? Think about it, eventually he will go but for now we get one more year of him playing well, and he'd then be in the league 10-11 years, his play is bound to start to decline soon after that, so why THEN at that point pay out huge $'s for someone you know will start to get a little slower and less powerful? Business wise i would trade him next year to get what i could from his NAME.

Besides maybe the Steelers have ear marked a FA guard for next year / draft pick they like the look of? ( Anyone think of a great guard that is going to be a FA next year apart from Faneca? ) D Rooney doesn't want his team to be crap does he, so i'm sure the boys know what they are doing, just we're on the side of the wall where we can't see.

Knowing the steelers for the last 26 years I trust the front office is being smart, and as much as i love Faneca, someone said it earlier i support the Steelers not some Guard.

Go steelers:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :helmet: :helmet: