PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Faneca wants out!

BlackGold4vr
05-11-2007, 04:03 PM
According to the article from the Post Gazette, Faneca has voiced his displeasure with his contract negotiations, coaching changes, and the way they have handled other veteran players (Porter). He asked to be traded but his requests seem to have fallen on deaf ears. From the tone of the article it seems like we would have a better chance of the Pope playing left guard for us next year than Alan Faneca! I respect the guy and I wish him all the best but from the team standpoint, an unhappy and disgruntled player can be like a cancer thats eats at the team from within. Let him go (by trade of course)or pay him! Article is on the home page. :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't understand if he is demanding to be traded or cut. Then why in hell are we still holding onto him? Its not like the Rooney's will give him the contract he wants. So it would be best to get rid of Alan Faneca quickly. Talks with Troy's contract are also slow. Thats another situation to keep an eye on.

TampaSteelGirl
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Man! Losing Faneca is bad enough, they better do something great for Troy! He really deserves it! :tt02:

kgreen
05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
F***in dumd***!!!!!! :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

AZ_Steeler
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Somebody show him the door and don't let it hit him in the *** on his way out!

He is replaceable... We all know he's got buddies at the Cardinals who will take him!

MillerTime83
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
could you imagine the Steelers without Troy and Faneca. :(

Koopa
05-11-2007, 04:53 PM
bah, he's only a guard, easily replaced by a second rounder next year, and troy hasn't shown displeasure, all he's said he's taking a wait and see approach to see if tomlin is just talk or if he can actually coach............

faneca is now a bitch in my book, **** the dude, he acts like he's god gift to offense guards, sure he deserves money, but **** him, he's not getting any younger and he can't pass block for ****, so he can go suck on grimms dick in arizona for all i care............

K Train
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
ive said it all along *cough* TG *cough*, **** him...we shouldve traded him to the cards for draft picks...now what can we get for him...i dont even know, the saints need oline.....DEUCE! lol

He can go to AZ and continue his love affair with grimm

Koopa
05-11-2007, 05:07 PM
wtf? deuce?? i doubt he'd want to be a back up to willie............he's happy in new orleans cause he's a starter, and sean is a offensive genius.......... we can get draft picks for 2008, so hopefully he's traded before training camp, we don't need this kind of distraction, cause a scrub at left guard this season will be just as good as a dude that doesn't even want to be here and that will play not to get hurt since he doesn't have the security of a big contract

K Train
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
colon can play guard, mahan, dude from rutgers, kemoeatu....it might screw up the ideas we had before but it will work nonetheless

Hburg
05-11-2007, 05:11 PM
If Faneca is b*tching (which he always has been), then let him go. I'd rather maintain team unity and motivation to perform well than retain a b*tching player like Faneca. At this point, after the lack of unity, motivation, and fire last year any player that expresses this attitude so ferverntly and so openly should get the boot.

I hope to retain Troy, he will be a larger impact on the success of the team than Faneca just by his ability to play and the position he plays. Offensive line can be replaced with the drop of a hat, but a talented safety like Troy is too valuable to give up.

K has a good point, it would be great to have McCallister on the Steelers for this season. But after the success that the Saints had with the two-back tandem of Bush and McCallister last year, I don't see them breaking that apart.

BuFu

K Train
05-11-2007, 05:15 PM
yeah the thing is, deuce and willie wouldnt be fair to other teams lol. Who cares who starts, if duece started it would be because hes better, who can complain about that :dunno:. the saints have a ton of money invested in Bush and Brees, Deuce wont be there much longer

not gonna happen, just a dream of mine lol

Hburg
05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
the saints have a ton of money invested in Bush and Brees, Deuce wont be there much longer

Good point there, still a dream yet, but a good point.

BuFu

K Train
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
to bad we dont need a WR, Bolden and Fitz cant stay in AZ forever either, one will have to go eventually and they got solid backups that could step in....thye should trade them while they can get something for them lol

Koopa
05-11-2007, 05:28 PM
we are not gonna get a big name for an aging guard, the most we can get is a second round draft pick........... i doubt the steelers would be willing to pay deuces contract, or Fitzgerald or boldins.........

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I just saw Faneca on NFL Live on ESPN at 4pm and he was visibly pissed off. He basically said the way they treated Joey, what does that say to him and the rest of the team. He essentially said contract negotiations are dead in the water and he will play this season but not be a Steeler in '08.

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Well Teemont isn't going to like this thread one bit, but he didn't like us bitching about Faneca and his displeasure. Well his true colors came out as K-train pointed out in the first place (I hope I got the source correct!) We should of traded him for the draft picks like K-train pointed out too. I can't understand why he just couldn't shut up and just play the game. WHY are these guys' panties all bunched up cause of Cowher leaving and the in house candidates didn't get picked to succeed Cowher? **** EM!!!

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I just wonder if they even tried to deal him in the draft :scratch:

Like i said earlier,we should've have traded him now and get something for him
instead of hanging onto him & getting nothing next year :scratch:

We all know he's not gonna be here next year & the way it sounds he's gonna be a distraction this year :banging:

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 05:51 PM
time to get rid of him before he does, watch him hold out in Training Camp. Despite the fact, Faneca is practicing with the team during minicamps, is that correct? I am more concerned for Troy's financial stakes than this hoopla. We don't need any more distractions.

K Train
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
trade his ***, if NE can get a first rounder for Branch, we can get one for the top guard..it would be funny if it was seattle to replace hutchinson lol

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I just saw Faneca on NFL Live on ESPN at 4pm and he was visibly pissed off. He basically said the way they treated Joey, what does that say to him and the rest of the team. He essentially said contract negotiations are dead in the water and he will play this season but not be a Steeler in '08.
The link to go with my previous statements.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2867813&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
trade his ***, if NE can get a first rounder for Branch, we can get one for the top guard..it would be funny if it was seattle to replace hutchinson lol

lol @ top guard, that's bs, steeler fans overrate the **** out of faneca....... to be a top guard you should be a good pass blocker too, not just a good run blocker, faneca was great with us cause we ran 99% of the time and he shined there, but he was also big reason ben was on his *** all last year, he was a pro bowler last year just because of his name and his past...... faneca probably won't fit in a more balanced offense we intend to use which is probably why the rooney's don't want him back

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Darn, Koopa said it best. Good Job.

K Train
05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
well hutchinson is a top guard and is primarily a run blocker, he might be overrated abut hes overrated by everyone and i want a first rounder damnit lol

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
My God, I have never seen so much pure idiocy in a thread.

1. K Train, come on man, what are you thinking? NOBODY is going to be dumb enough to give up a guy like Deuce or any good draft picks for a guard that's going to be a free agent after this year!

2. People saying "**** Faneca" or "he's easily replaceable", yeah, just like Justin Strylzyck was. Remember when he left? Hell, Faneca, his eventual replacement, was a rookie at the time, but he wasn't ready to step up and fill Justin's shoes. Our offensive line SUCKED in 98 and 99. That's why our offense sucked, and why our TEAM sucked. People blame Kordell for that, but it's not like he could do anything to overcome the huge hole in our O-line. People who want Faneca gone now must either think a couple horrible years are ok, or are just too stupid to realize that that's exactly what will happen if we don't have the NEXT Faneca ready the moment Faneca leaves.

3. People who downplay Faneca's worth, he's the FOUNDATION our O-line is built around. You don't seem to understand just how huge this is. The guy is THE BEST at his position, possibly the best O-lineman in the league. You don't just replace that with a 2nd round pick next year.

4. Why can't people understand this ISN'T about Tomlin?? Was Faneca pissed when Grimm and Whiz didn't get the job? Sure. Did he voice his disagreement? Yeah, because Faneca speaks his mind. That doesn't mean he hates Tomlin, or doesn't want to play for him. That's just idiotic. This is ALL about the contract. IMO, this is one of the stupidest things the Steelers have ever done. First they get rid of Porter, an immensely popular leader, and now they aren't even offering Faneca a contract? That's insane! I understand that they don't think they'll be able to sign him, but at least MAKE AN EFFORT! Make it look like you actually care, instead of taking your all pro guard who is the best at his position and another immensely popular leader on the team and just ignoring him. WTF are the Steelers doing? Faneca has a point. What the Steelers have done with Porter and Faneca sends a bad message to the players. And it is widely assumed that the Steelers are letting Faneca go so they can sign Troy, but what are they doing with that? Troy's negotiations have been going nowhere! WTF are the Steelers doing?

K Train
05-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Duece was a dream btw, and we definetly can get a good pick for him, that would save a team desperate for oline (AZ) the trouble of a bidding war with other desperate teams to get a guard who if he hits FA will command an amount of money thats out of this world

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
faneca was a big part in what we DID, we are gonna be a different offense, and faneca sucks unless he's bulldozing ppl in run blocking, that's why it's **** faneca.......and ppl having a differing opinion then yours doesn't make us idiots........

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
faneca was a big part in what we DID, we are gonna be a different offense, and faneca sucks unless he's bulldozing ppl in run blocking, that's why it's **** faneca.......and ppl having a differing opinion then yours doesn't make us idiots........

But thinking an all pro guard can be replaced at the drop of a hat does.

So does thinking that Faneca sucks at pass blocking, or that any offensive scheme wouldn't love to have him.

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
i saw ben on his *** all year, and faneca was a part of that, **** faneca, he's being a bitch, he's gonna turn into a lockerroom cancer, so we need to get rid of his old ***, we have more important players to lock up, not an aging overrated out the *** guard........... and it's obvious he can be replaced by what colbert said about getting a good guard on day 2........ faneca is loved cause he wore black and gold, if he was drafted by the browns and was still the same player ppl would talk down on him.......

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Faneca said he's talked to "everyone" in the front office, including Art Rooney, Dan Rooney and Kevin Colbert.

"I've been asking since February, to trade me, to let me go,'' Faneca said in such an emotional interview that at times his left hand was shaking slightly. "I've done my piece, I've done my time, I've done everything I can for this organization.

"I lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years and gave them everything I had, helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... for what I've done for this organization, in my mind is not right."

Im obviously in the minority here, and that's cool :bigthumb: but the dude has a point, regardless of the fact that the NFL is a business or not. You take care of your own in this league until they don't fit into your scheme anymore or you just don't think they are worth what players who are on the same level or worse than them are getting more money.

I'd be pissed off if I was him as well. Just because he bitched now and then during his career doesn't mean he wasn't happy here. Hell Grey Lloyd bitched all the time, so did countless other players on this team over the years. People gripe about contracts or situations all the time. I feel bad for the guy, it's got to be a kick in the gut to him.

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 06:39 PM
But thinking an all pro guard can be replaced at the drop of a hat does.

So does thinking that Faneca sucks at pass blocking, or that any offensive scheme wouldn't love to have him.

Faneca is far from sucking,you don't make all pro if you suck :lol:

We should've traded him during the draft,if he doesn't want to play for us IMO Besides we all know we're not gonna pay him , at least not what he wants,so he's as good as gone next year :popcorn:

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Im obviously in the minority here, and that's cool :bigthumb: but the dude has a point, regardless of the fact that the NFL is a business or not. You take care of your own in this league until they don't fit into your scheme anymore or you just don't think they are worth what players who are on the same level or worse than them are getting more money.

I'd be pissed off if I was him as well. Just because he bitched now and then during his career doesn't mean he wasn't happy here. Hell Grey Lloyd bitched all the time, so did countless other players on this team over the years. People gripe about contracts or situations all the time. I feel bad for the guy, it's got to be a kick in the gut to him.

maybe that's how the rooney's feel, i think i'm gonna side with the rooney's since they've been apart of 5 superbowls not sitting at home...... if they don't want faneca back then it's obvious he's not part of the future, no point in giving him money if he ain't apart of it, troy is far more important to the steelers then an aging guard........

K Train
05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
players come and go, i dont understand why everyone has a stroke when it happens...life goes on and we get better

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
So what happens if Troy wants too much money, then we're really screwed. Granted we'll most likely sign him to an extension but you never know in this day and age.

This is my whole thing and what makes me think this whole scenario stinks...if Faneca says pay me or trade me and the team says no then what's the point. The draft picks or players we could have gotten for him would have made up for him not being here over time...now he stays this year and he's miserable. Everybody on the team knows it and then next year he bolts and that's that.

I feel bad for the dude in every aspect because he's getting screwed over by a team he loved.

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
maybe that's how the rooney's feel, i think i'm gonna side with the rooney's since they've been apart of 5 superbowls not sitting at home...... if they don't want faneca back then it's obvious he's not part of the future, no point in giving him money if he ain't apart of it, troy is far more important to the steelers then an aging guard........

Agreed :bigthumb: We've gotta keep troy or at least i really,really,really,
really,really HOPE WE DO :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Prosdo
05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I say trade him. If he is not happy here then there is nothing that can be done. If he wants to keep throwing a fit let him throw it the whole way to Arizona.

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 06:58 PM
faneca is loved cause he wore black and gold, if he was drafted by the browns and was still the same player ppl would talk down on him.......

No, if Faneca was on the Browns and this was happening, I'd be laughing my *** off at how stupid the Browns are.

I feel bad for the dude in every aspect because he's getting screwed over by a team he loved.
:clap:

Exactly. Faneca played his *** off for the Steelers and is now in a tough situation because the Steelers have basically decided that since they don't think they can afford him, they don't even care anymore.

I mean, God! We're becoming the Patriots only without the big name free agent aquisitions!

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
So what happens if Troy wants too much money, then we're really screwed. Granted we'll most likely sign him to an extension but you never know in this day and age.

This is my whole thing and what makes me think this whole scenario stinks...if Faneca says pay me or trade me and the team says no then what's the point. The draft picks or players we could have gotten for him would have made up for him not being here over time...now he stays this year and he's miserable. Everybody on the team knows it and then next year he bolts and that's that.

we arent screwing him over we are running a team, sometimes the smart thing to do isnt the most popular thing....do the rooneys let you down often? I think we are pretty spoiled fans compared to some. Faneca has always whined, about maddox, about ben, about cowher and grimm and whiz and porter and his contract...hes a whiney dude and dont always look at change in a negative way, this is a step forward not a step back even though it might not seem that way now...its been obvious he was leaving all along imo

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I mean, God! We're becoming the Patriots only without the big name free agent aquisitions!

those may be on there way, not this year but the pats havent always done that, they ran a tight system fo years and were able to splurge a little this year

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 07:04 PM
No, if Faneca was on the Browns and this was happening, I'd be laughing my *** off at how stupid the Browns are.

:clap:

Exactly. Faneca played his *** off for the Steelers and is now in a tough situation because the Steelers have basically decided that since they don't think they can afford him, they don't even care anymore.

Yep, with the main difference between us and them is that they have 3 SB wins during the same timespan that we've had one. :nonod:

----

If we're running a team then why not trade the dude if he's professed to have been wanting out since February. This way he wins because he gets to go a team that will pay him what he wants and we get good compensation. Now all we get for "running the team" is having a disgruntled all pro guard who's going to bolt after 2007 and we get nothing. That's what I mean by he's getting screwed by us.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2007, 07:11 PM
players come and go, i dont understand why everyone has a stroke when it happens...life goes on and we get better

This is a short post but a great post and I totally agree with you Train. I have always stated players/coaches come and they go but the Pittsburgh Steelers will remain.

I grew up in the free agency era and seen many players leave the Burgh in the early/mid 1990s. So I don't care if your Faneca, Polamalu or even Roethlisberger if they want to leave then screw it and leave. I'm not saying I don't want these such players to resign but if they don't then I won't lose any sleep over it.

Ok back on Faneca. I have wanted this tool to be traded for months know ever since he started complaing about Tomlin being hired and Joey Porter being cut. I say good bye Alan Faneca.

He was a top OG in the NFL but he isn't anymore. So **** on him.:lol:

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:11 PM
i think he will get traded after he holds out, which i think he will...ala deion branch

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
we arent screwing him over we are running a team, sometimes the smart thing to do isnt the most popular thing....do the rooneys let you down often? I think we are pretty spoiled fans compared to some. Faneca has always whined, about maddox, about ben, about cowher and grimm and whiz and porter and his contract...hes a whiney dude and dont always look at change in a negative way, this is a step forward not a step back even though it might not seem that way now...its been obvious he was leaving all along imo

You may look at that as whining, I look at it as telling it like it is. Faneca was asked if he was "excited" to have his starting QB get hurt and replaced by a rookie. Obviously nobody would be excited about that, especially since at the time no one could have forseen how successful Ben would be so soon. Faneca was asked a stupid question and responded they way any sane person would.

I mean, there seem to be 2 kinds of players in sports these days: The guys who always say the most PC things possible to avoid controversy, and the guys who speak out and criticize their teams and teammates all the time. Faneca was different, in that he spoke his mind without being a bad teammate. Porter was kind of the same way.

As for this being a step forward, I think it's extremely far from it. You don't take a step forward by letting your best O-lineman go. It would have been a step forward if they had gotten his replacement first, and then let him go.

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
This is a short post but a great post and I totally agree with you Train. I have always stated players/coaches come and they go but the Pittsburgh Steelers will remain.

I grew up in the free agency era and seen many players leave the Burgh in the early/mid 1990s. So I don't care if your Faneca, Polamalu or even Roethlisberger if they want to leave then screw it and leave. I'm not saying I don't want these such players to resign but if they don't then I won't lose any sleep over it.

Ok back on Faneca. I have wanted this tool to be traded for months know ever since he started complaing about Tomlin being hired and Joey Porter being cut. I say good bye Alan Faneca.

He was a top OG in the NFL but he isn't anymore. So **** on him.:lol:

ok i agree with 95% of this post, but i seriously might have a stroke if we dont sign troy... but i think its almost certain at this point, honestly i think troy is what makes our defense so effective, i cant say the same about faneca

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
As for this being a step forward, I think it's extremely far from it. You don't take a step forward by letting your best O-lineman go. It would have been a step forward if they had gotten his replacement first, and then let him go.

we have alot of quality olineman and i think you will all realize that now that cowher is gone and everyone has a shot

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
ok i agree with 95% of this post, but i seriously might have a stroke if we dont sign troy... but i think its almost certain at this point, honestly i think troy is what makes our defense so effective, i cant say the same about faneca

Dude I hope Troy does resign to. Just saying I have seen my share of players leave the Steelers through free agency that I'm just use to it. Now since Heinz has opened up the Rooney's have kept the team intact for the most part. But still I think Troy might be a tough sign. I think he might want Ed Reed type money and who could blame him. I doubt the Rooney's will give him that much money. But we can hope.:bigthumb:

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 07:19 PM
we have alot of quality olineman and i think you will all realize that now that cowher is gone and everyone has a shot

True, we have alot of young linemen. But back when Strylzyck left, we had Faneca on the roster (not sure if we drafted him before or after Justin left) but he wasn't ready to step in and fill Justin's shoes right away. It's a hard transition every time a really great O-lineman leaves.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2007, 07:20 PM
You may look at that as whining, I look at it as telling it like it is. Faneca was asked if he was "excited" to have his starting QB get hurt and replaced by a rookie. Obviously nobody would be excited about that, especially since at the time no one could have forseen how successful Ben would be so soon. Faneca was asked a stupid question and responded they way any sane person would.

I mean, there seem to be 2 kinds of players in sports these days: The guys who always say the most PC things possible to avoid controversy, and the guys who speak out and criticize their teams and teammates all the time. Faneca was different, in that he spoke his mind without being a bad teammate. Porter was kind of the same way.

The Steelers have lost better Olineman in the past and still survived. I think Dermontti Dawson was one of the best centers of alltime and we lost him to retirement. Sure there was an adjustment period without Dawson but look the Steelers signed Jeff Hartings. So Faneca is replaceable is just a freaking OG for Christs sake.:lol: Its not like lossing a franchise LT.

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Im just saying, Starks, Smith, Kemoeatu, Essex, Mahan, Okobi, Simmons, Colon, dude from rutgers, phillips.....now if we cant find 5 guys that can play well together out of that group we dont deserve to be a football team becasue thats why they were brought in...to play eventually

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Im just saying, Starks, Smith, Kemoeatu, Essex, Mahan, Okobi, Simmons, Colon, dude from rutgers, phillips.....now if we cant find 5 guys that can play well together out of that group we dont deserve to be a football team becasue thats why they were brought in...to play eventually

The dude from Rutgers.lol Sorry train I just laugh my *** off when seeing that. His name is Cameron Stephenson. But I agree the Steelers will be alright without Faneca.

If Starks can hold down the RT job then Colon can play one of the OG spots. I think Colon is better suited for OG anyway. Then Simmons or Mahan will be in the mix at the other OG spot. Now if the dude from Rutgers can develop quickly then even better.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I would hope out that group of players we can find 5 starters as well but you never know. Cowher and Colbert may have hit a big fat nothing with all those young guys behind the starters from last year and it's obvious Simmons isn't a fanchise Guard either so it's not like we have a plethora of good OL...what we have a couple good ones and a bunch of unproven commodities and in an era that the Steelers are in right now of change Im not so sure letting Alan go was the best move.

Hawk Believer
05-11-2007, 07:38 PM
We just had a somewhat situation out here last month with our WR Darrell Jackson. One year left on the contract. He was disgruntled. So our GM traded him to a division rival for a 4th round pick. The thinking was that talent doesn't do you any good if its combined with a bad attitude. So they got what they could for him while they could. Its a true dilema. Holmgren disagreed and would have rather kept him.

There are valid arguments either way.

I sure would like to see what Faneca could do in Hutch's old spot. When we lost Hutch, there was a lot of talk by people saying "No big deal, he's just a guard." But our O-line was not the same last year. Granted, our QB and RB were injured much of the season. But I think the loss of Hutch had a gigantic impact on our running game. And he was only the second best guy on our line.

Even though the guard position is considered one of the least important in the offense, I think you'll be surprised to see what an impact the loss of a great one will have.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Even though the guard position is considered one of the least important in the offense, I think you'll be surprised to see what an impact the loss of a great one will have.

That's exactly right, the OL is the most important position on a football. Losing an all pro guard is not going to be easy especially with a bunch of unproven backups behind him.

Alan has a right to be pissed off, if he's been asking to be traded and then we low ball with a **** poor offer then what's he supposed to think. If he wants more money and we aren't willing to pay him, then trade him to someone who will and lets get compensation for him.

Damnit this is pissing me off the more I think about it. :banging: he even admitted in that interview, "hey if you can't pay me my market value that's fine, I understand that, but trade me then"

kgreen
05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
colon can play guard, mahan, dude from rutgers, kemoeatu....it might screw up the ideas we had before but it will work nonetheless

Yeah it is time to get young again at OL. BYE ALLAN!! OG is not a hard position to replace. If it was OT thne I would worry, but think about this: Faneca is going into his 10th or 11th year, a contract year. Would you waste money on a vetern Guard when you could get young and save money + get draft picks/good players.

Koopa
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
We just had a somewhat situation out here last month with our WR Darrell Jackson. One year left on the contract. He was disgruntled. So our GM traded him to a division rival for a 4th round pick. The thinking was that talent doesn't do you any good if its combined with a bad attitude. So they got what they could for him while they could. Its a true dilema. Holmgren disagreed and would have rather kept him.

There are valid arguments either way.

I sure would like to see what Faneca could do in Hutch's old spot. When we lost Hutch, there was a lot of talk by people saying "No big deal, he's just a guard." But our O-line was not the same last year. Granted, our QB and RB were injured much of the season. But I think the loss of Hutch had a gigantic impact on our running game. And he was only the second best guy on our line.

that's cause y'alls line wasn't that good overall, that's why losing him made a little impact, plus you can't judge it yet, alexander was broken, jackson was broken, hasselback was broken........y'all were just lucky to be in the nfc or y'all would've sucked regardless of Hutchison being there or not

Hawk Believer
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
that's cause y'alls line wasn't that good overall, that's why losing him made a little impact, plus you can't judge it yet, alexander was broken, jackson was broken, hasselback was broken........y'all were just lucky to be in the nfc or y'all would've sucked regardless of Hutchison being there or not

It was hard to judge the Seahwks last year because of injuries. But a big part of our problem was injuries on the line. I just think its hard to find lineman who have to tools to hold their own every play of the game. From what I know of Faneca, he seems like one of those rare finds.

K Train
05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
and dont get me wrong he was, but its time to move on

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
That's it, Im going to have to break down and call Tomlin back and accept his offer of me playing Guard for us this year :lol:

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
LOL. This is a great thread and just enjoy reading everyone's views. I am just going to stay out of it and just let it play out. Very good thread, entertaining, and very concised.

okiesteeler
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Even if we made Faneca an offer to be the highest paid OL in the NFL right now, would his mind still be there to be the top? I think it is too far gone right now. We have to trade him now or get nothing for him. And if it hurts our OLine that badly then we do, but to keep him and have him play this last year would not help that OLine any at all. Faneca's time in the Black N' Gold is over and done. So Long and thanks for all the Fish

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 09:45 PM

I couldnt agree with you more. If this was Ben, everyone here would be on their knees in front of the Rooneys, begging for an extension.

Everyone here is saying to trade Faneca to a team with O-line problems......if we do that, then we are a teama with O-line problems. I know Koop thinks LG's are a dime a dozen, but they ain't, and thats why guys like Steinbach and Hutchinson are getting paid better than some QB's (I think).

O-line is the most important part of the any team, offensively. You can **** Faneca all day long, but he's right, he desrves to be treated better. He's not liek the Bus where he is in the obvious twilight of his career, he still has 4-5 Pro Bowls left in him, and not on reputation. Anyone who says he makes it to Hawaii on reputation obviously doesn't watch him play.

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree with Black@Gold Forever 32. How many Steelers that you love have you seen get released or go somewhere else--and usually not be as good:

Just from the defense:
Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Chad Brown, Kendrell Bell, etc. etc. etc.

Mike Vrabel is the only guy I can think of that was more successful with his new team than with the Steelers.

The Rooneys have always had tight pockets and believed that they can reload any spot on the field better than any other organization. I hate that we don't spend a little more change to keep the ones I like, but the Rooneys have enough Lombardis to hold a little respect.

And Polamalu is more vital to the D than Faneca is to the OLine.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I couldnt agree with you more. If this was Ben, everyone here would be on their knees in front of the Rooneys, begging for an extension.

Everyone here is saying to trade Faneca to a team with O-line problems......if we do that, then we are a teama with O-line problems. I know Koop thinks LG's are a dime a dozen, but they ain't, and thats why guys like Steinbach and Hutchinson are getting paid better than some QB's (I think).

O-line is the most important part of the any team, offensively. You can **** Faneca all day long, but he's right, he desrves to be treated better. He's not liek the Bus where he is in the obvious twilight of his career, he still has 4-5 Pro Bowls left in him, and not on reputation. Anyone who says he makes it to Hawaii on reputation obviously doesn't watch him play.

As it stands right now even with Faneca this year we have OL problems. Sure the left side with Smith and Faneca is solid but we have nothing but unproven players in line for the starting jobs at center, RG, and RT. Im hoping our young guys step up but the thought of going through growing pains on the OL when it's so important is never an appealing scenario...now we're doing that regardless... ugh ! :nonod:

Alan has got to be questioning a lot right now and that this point if Im him, I can't wait for 2007 to be over so I can go somewhere where a team wants me.

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Heard him on sirius saying he wants fair market value & he sounded pretty
pissed about the very low offer we offered him :dunno:

What a way to start '08 :cursin: :banging: :cursin: :banging:

Dammit they should've traded him in the draft ,,,,,,,,,:popcorn:

Hawk Believer
05-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Market value would probably be at least 8 mill right now I'd bet for a top tier LG. He'd want something like Hutch's Viking deal.

DIESELMAN
05-11-2007, 10:16 PM
The ESPN interview was done in the locer room, so you know a lot of players heard it. What these players have to realize is the NFL is a business, whether they like it or not. Every team operates different, some pay the big benjamins, some don't. The Rooneys don't, never have and never will. Faneca is one of the best in the business, his pro bowls prove that. With all the other lower talented OL getting mad cash, I don't blame Faneca for wanting his too. BUT he also knows how the Rooneys operate, his agent does too, they should've stayed up alll night to come to terms or get a trade deal. Also with Faneca in his last year, playing without a contract for the coming years, hes also worried about getting hurt and no contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Alan knows the NFL is a business and he understands if the team can't afford to pay him what he feels he's worth..especially when he knows he can go somewhere else and get it. He'd be fine and a lot less unhappy if we'd have just traded him instead of making him play out the last year of a deal and then he bolts and we get nothing and he potentially gets hurt.

I never wanted Alan traded, Ive said that from the start, however if he's been saying since Feb. that he wants traded or pay him a top 10 Guards salary and nobody has then I'd be pissed too.

This whole thing just sux :nonod:

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Just heard on sirius's two minute drill that Faneca will report to traing camp

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

as the world turns,these are the days of steeler fan's lives :lol:

Koopa
05-11-2007, 11:14 PM
he's gonna show, that was never a question, but he's only going cause he has to, not cause he wants to, so **** him, we don't need that **** on this team, get rid of the bitch already, tomlin don't need this distraction in his first training camp

Friday133
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Asked his impression about Tomlin, Faneca said, "I've got no impression."

SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/11/faneca.steelers.ap/index.html)

Alan Faneca can go **** himself. I could give a **** less if he thinks he's worth more money, that's not for me to decide. But when he makes comments like the one above, he becomes a cancer and endangers the team from being successful this year. Get his ****ing *** out of here now, the Steelers have no room for losers.

Friday133
05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
"I think everybody's unsure about the direction of this team," All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu said. "It's a first-year coach. ... He's inherited a team. He didn't build it up from 13 years of being in the league, for example. Obviously, it's going to take time as a natural product of being a new coach."

Polamalu, also unsigned past this season, called Faneca's words "troublesome" because they come from a player widely respected by his teammates.

However, unlike Faneca, Polamalu is optimistic the Steelers will make him an acceptable contract offer by September.

From the same article. I say they sign Troy to a longterm contract tomorrow to spite Faneca.

K Train
05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
that would be pretty awesome lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Top 5 Highest paid Guards in the league:

Faneca - 4 years 14 million - 6 pro bowls
Leonard Davis - 7 years 50 million - 0 Pro Bowls
Eric Steinbach - 7 years 50 million - 0 Pro Bowls
Derrick Dockery - 7 years 49 million - 0 Pro Bowls
Langston Walker - 5 years 25 million - 0 Pro Bowls

Now don't tell me that Alan doesn't deserve atleast some money similar to them when the dude still has atleast 4 good years left in him yet to play at a high level.

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 11:34 PM
SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/11/faneca.steelers.ap/index.html)

Alan Faneca can go **** himself. I could give a **** less if he thinks he's worth more money, that's not for me to decide. But when he makes comments like the one above, he becomes a cancer and endangers the team from being successful this year. Get his ****ing *** out of here now, the Steelers have no room for losers.

I love it. And Tomlin pretty much has no choice but to start him, unless he gets traded.

You guys whine a lot more about Faneca "whining" then Faneca supposedly does.

K Train
05-11-2007, 11:34 PM

Now don't tell me that Alan doesn't deserve atleast some money similar to them when the dude still has atleast 4 good years left in him yet to play at a high level.

hutch has to be on that list somewhere :dunno:

were not saying he doesnt deserve to get paid but if he wants ^ then we cant afford him.

I think all these guys are way overpaid....guards are demanding ridiculous amounts the last 2 years

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM

were not saying he doesnt deserve to get paid but if he wants ^ then we cant afford him.

I think all these guys are way overpaid....guards are demanding ridiculous amounts the last 2 years

It's a lot harder to find a good guard than it is to find a good RB. IMO Guards are worth more than RB's. RB's are overpaid.

K Train
05-11-2007, 11:38 PM
i didnt say they arent important....but come on, they are demanding tackle money when they are inferior to tackles in importance imo

Koopa
05-11-2007, 11:45 PM

exactly, we ain't saying he doesn't deserve to be paid, but the way he's handling it is so damn unprofessional, he's a white t.o. now, just bitching.......... i think faneca is one hell of a player, but he's a player not worth overpaying, troy comes first cause he's an impact player, faneca isn't really, when he plays great we our line still somewhat sucks, when troy plays great the defesne is great and we win............

Koopa
05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
It's a lot harder to find a good guard than it is to find a good RB. IMO Guards are worth more than RB's. RB's are overpaid.

you just want him to get paid so you can continue to wear your jersey :lol:

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
i didnt say they arent important....but come on, they are demanding tackle money when they are inferior to tackles in importance imo

Eh, I dunno, I'm probably being a little bit biased bc I played C and Faneca has been my favorite player since he ws number 65 and he messed my hair up at his first training camp, but I think the interior is a little more important and tougher to play.

When I was in college (only 2 years and at a NAIA school) I played center at 275 and was still able to move a lot better than the 5 year Senior at LT who weighed 270. I just think tackles are overated, most teams base their O on what is goin on in the interior of the line, much like we hve for the last, well forever. Why do you think we always have badass guards and centers, and just so so tackles......not that Marvel Smith is so so, he coculd be a LOT better though.

I just think losing Faneca is going to hurt us a lot more than everyone thinks it will. People think that guards should just shut up and play, and he shouldnt "whine" about his pay....yada yada yada. The interior line is the most dangerous place to play in the league, O or D. He desrves his payday, and I hope he gets it, plays us, and makes us hate ourselves for letting him go ( I dont want his team to win, just wouldnt mind seeing him pancake Big Casey a few times to shut all of the haters up).

Faneca has always been responsible for his play and conduct off and on the field, and has been a model captain for us for a while, its awesome to see how the most spoiled fans in sports repay him.

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
you just want him to get paid so you can continue to wear your jersey :lol:

lol....its my favorite jersey ever....not too many people wear a Faneca jersey. I already hve to figure out what to do with my Porter Authentic.

All truth being told, Alan is a great player, and has a right to be ******. Should he have taken it public...? Probably not, but he did, and the team and most fans are giving him a raw deal here. He wont bring the locker room down, he stepped down as Capt, he has been a model Steeler, but come on, he has to get paid.

K Train
05-11-2007, 11:55 PM
lol casey isnt getting pancked by faneca

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 11:57 PM
lol casey isnt getting pancked by faneca

yeah I know...but it would dmake me feel better....how bout Faneca blows him off the ball 5 yards......

Koopa
05-11-2007, 11:59 PM
lol....its my favorite jersey ever....not too many people wear a Faneca jersey. I already hve to figure out what to do with my Porter Authentic.

All truth being told, Alan is a great player, and has a right to be ******. Should he have taken it public...? Probably not, but he did, and the team and most fans are giving him a raw deal here. He wont bring the locker room down, he stepped down as Capt, he has been a model Steeler, but come on, he has to get paid.

while he deserves to be paid, he doesn't deserve to be overpaid, he's getting to old to overpay, the steelers have younger more important players to pay, troy should be first on the list of getting paid.......... he has been totally unprofessional about this who ordeal, and needs to be traded, and i'm sure he will now, cause he's gone to far, he's being to much of a dick today....... whining like this to the media will not get you paid, he should've went wards route and just hold out and stay postive........he's burning bridges right now, the rooney's should have tomlin send his *** home

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Well I def dont want tosee him over paid. No use in me getting butt hurt anymore I guess though. He said it himself, that thi si shis last year in Pittsburgh. Tomlin better be good.

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 12:22 AM
:popcorn:

Hawk Believer
05-12-2007, 12:24 AM

If I remember correctly Hutch got 49 mil over 7 years (and a poison pill for the Seahawks). At the time that was supposed to be the highest guard contract ever. But I know that drove FA guard contracts since then up.

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
I think we should give him a Contract to make him one of the top paid, however we can not do that and sign Troy in the same year and Troy is more important to the team. If he would take a one year contract extension, with the understanding that we would redo his contract next year then maybe we could pay him what he is worth.

Steelerlyn
05-12-2007, 12:44 AM
I think we should show him the door

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-12-2007, 12:55 AM
"I lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years and gave them everything I had, helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... "

He's playing with no security???... He's getting paid 3.5 million this year !! He sure as hell didn't mind signing the contract that made him the highest paid guard in football, what was it for what 30 million ?? When his time was right the STEELERS made the decision and signed him, guess his time isn't right now. He says he wants to be paid top ten money... he is according to that list in this thread, it may not be the top of the list but he is in it. Nobody made him sign the contract, he knows how it was structured.

He needs to play out his contract!! I don't think anybody expected this tirade of his, I'll admit,I didn't. He has all the incentive in the world to play this season to make sure he gets his upcoming HUGE signing bonus !! Take the opportunity that has been given to other STEELERS, Porter for example, and go get your money!! Also take a note of how Porter,while disappointed, knew it was a business decision and walked away with his head held high and mouth SHUT !! :tt02: :2cents:

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Well said :clap:

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes it was well said, he needs to just go. If he is scared of getting hurt, then i say that he ride the pine this season, if we cant get a trade for him. wonder what he would think of that

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Yes it was well said, he needs to just go. If he is scared of getting hurt, then i say that he ride the pine this season, if we cant get a trade for him. wonder what he would think of that

I'm sure he would love to get paid 3.7 to do nothing, I know I would. He'll play his final season, and he will play his *** off, and he will make the Pro-Bowl.

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm sure he would love to get paid 3.7 to do nothing, I know I would. He'll play his final season, and hopefully he will play his *** off, and he will make the Pro-Bowl.

Just do it with some style .... We'll have to wait and see if it effects his play this year. He's got a few more years but is he worth the signing bonus that is being given guards these days?? I just hope they use the money to sign someone on the upside of their career !!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm sure he would love to get paid 3.7 to do nothing, I know I would. He'll play his final season, and he will play his *** off, and he will make the Pro-Bowl.

:iagree: Alan is not one to go out and play half assed. He's played his heart out his whole career and he'll do the same this year, make the pro bowl and then go get the dollars from another team since we won't give them to him.

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Just do it with some style .... We'll have to wait and see if it effects his play this year. He's got a few more years but is he worth the signing bonus that is being given guards these days?? I just hope they use the money to sign someone on the upside of their career !!

What short memories we Steeler fans have.....fo it with some style? He has been for 9 years, and now he gets **** on by the FO and the fans.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
What short memories we Steeler fans have.....fo it with some style? He has been for 9 years, and now he gets **** on by the FO and the fans.

Dude you're just mad since Alan's your boy. He is getting **** on by the FO. Please and just stop there. He has made millions oh cry me a river Alan Faneca.:lol: My pay has been cut 4 times in the past 1 year and I can't complain about it or stage hold outs like Hines did in 2005.

I'm sorry I won't feel bad for million dollar athletes and how they feel the Steelers are not giving them fair value. I'm a fan of the Steelers first and not certain players. If Big Ben does the same things when his contract is up or even Troy, I will have the same opinion.

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
:iagree: Alan is not one to go out and play half assed. He's played his heart out his whole career and he'll do the same this year, make the pro bowl and then go get the dollars from another team since we won't give them to him.

If we don't trade him,,,,,Alan will do what TG said :popcorn:

Friday133
05-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Faneca no-show at morning practice

Saturday, May 12, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Alan Faneca, who complained bitterly about his contract status on the first day of Steelers minicamp yesterday, was not on the practice field for the morning session today.

Attendance is required for each of the three days the Steelers hold minicamp through Sunday. Mr.Faneca said on Friday that he would attend all sessions because they are required, then leave Pittsburgh Sunday night and not return until training camp starts July 23.

The Steelers declined to comment until coach Mike Tomlin speaks to the media later this afternoon, but some of his teammates said that Mr.Faneca remains in Pittsburgh and may still be at the team's facility.

Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785639-100.stm)

If this is true, something needs done about Faneca ASAP. He's turning into a cancer of this team.

TEEMONT
05-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Dude you're just mad since Alan's your boy. He is getting **** on by the FO. Please and just stop there. He has made millions oh cry me a river Alan Faneca.:lol: My pay has been cut 4 times in the past 1 year and I can't complain about it or stage hold outs like Hines did in 2005.

I'm sorry I won't feel bad for million dollar athletes and how they feel the Steelers are not giving them fair value. I'm a fan of the Steelers first and not certain players. If Big Ben does the same things when his contract is up or even Troy, I will have the same opinion.

Yeah i'm not in the position to do what he is doing either, but he is. He is the best at what he does, in a muti-million dollar position. He gets paid a ton, yes, but he wants his MARKET VALUE, which he isn't getting.

Friday133
05-12-2007, 02:32 PM
STEELERS OFFERED FANECA $19 MILLION OVER FIRST THREE YEARS

A source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers extended an opening offer to guard Alan Faneca for a contract extension that would have paid him $19 million over the first three years of the deal.

Per the source, Faneca wants $24 million over the first three seasons, and isn't budging.

As we explained on Friday, Faneca's anger regarding the gap between his demand and the team's offer is misplaced. The team has no obligation to pay him more money than the team believes that the 30-year-old offensive lineman deserves. And by publicly crying about the situation, Faneca is no different than Pacman Jones or Chris Henry or T.O. or any other selfish ******* who puts his own interests above a system that has made many men with few if any other marketable skills rich beyond their wildest dreams.

But, hey, at least Faneca showed up for a mandatory minicamp.

"[H]e's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up," said receiver Hines Ward.

Hines, he showed up because, under the new CBA, he could have lost 25 percent of the prorated bonus amount for 2007, the final year of his current contract. The potential price tag would have been $400,000.

And how can Faneca be described as "a professional" in light of his Friday rant? Panthers receiver Steve Smith wanted a new contract for more than a year, and never said a word about it publicly. Sure, there were rumors that he was milking a hamstring injury last year in quiet protest to the lack of a new deal. But Smith never ran his mouth.

The irony here is that, in identical situations, the receiver acted like an offensive lineman usually does, and the offensive lineman is acting like a receiver usually behaves.

So, in our view, there's nothing professional about what Faneca is doing. And it could be that Faneca and Ward and anyone of their mindset will have to go before new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can communicate his message to the guys who still get it.

From PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm), but I do agree with them. Really how different is Faneca's temper tantrum different from TO or Chad Johnson?

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 02:44 PM
"WOW" 101 posts,,,,we all must really love Faneca :lol: :lol: :lol:

Koopa
05-12-2007, 02:45 PM
From PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm), but I do agree with them. Really how different is Faneca's temper tantrum different from TO or Chad Johnson?

it isn't different, that's why i called him the white t.o., but i'm gonna call him the fat **** white t.o.

and tg, how do you know he's gonna go all out?? he doesn't even want to be here, what makes you think he'll want to play and risk getting hurt and not getting that fat contract??? he's in a selfish mode right now, while he deserves to get paid, he doesn't deserve to act the way he is, no player in this league deserves to act like this.......... i hope faneca blows an acl and doesn't get his money now cause he's acting like a complete bitch, hell i don't even remember t.o. acting like this over money

kgreen
05-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Not much different which is what disturbs me. Faneca has NEVER been very outspoken but now he is crying over money? Yeah, sounds more like he wants out and in Arizona. It also is ma ybe sending a message to the Ronneys that he is unhappy Cowher resigning. He hasn't even given Tomlin a chance to show what he has. This is not the way a savy vet would really handle it. A guy like Aaron Smith would not be crying they would just play and get a fair deal done. I would not hesitate to cut his whiny a**. His whining could hurt this team's chances of a playoff run. Let him go to Arizona.

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Only thing Faneca's doing that pisses me off,,,,,,,is talking to the media !

Can't blame him for wanting fair market value,hell there's other gaurd's out there not as good as him and there making alot of cabbage,but he's going about it in the wrong way :popcorn:

I absolutley,,,,without a doubt believe Faneca will go all out and play like the pro he is,,,,,,,,besides he doesn't want to hurt his chance's for that big payday!

Unlike some other people on here,,,,I sure don't want to see him get hurt
far as that goes i don't want to see any players get hurt,no matter who they play for :popcorn:

SteelerFan87
05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
1. PFT can go **** themselves. What do they know? Comparing Faneca to TO? Are you kidding me? TO bitches even when he has a nice contract, right after he signed it. TO bitches just for the sake of bitching. TO is a selfish attention whore who doesn't care about his teammates. Alan Faneca clearly does care about his teammates, and has been the consumate Steeler his entire career. The only reason he's bitching about his contract now, is because it's ALMOST UP! He only has this year, and then nothing. No security. And people say "what do you mean no security? He has a ton of money", but that's not what I mean, or what he means, by security. He means security as in, the knowledge that no matter what happens this year, he'll still be able to play football. The way it is now, if he gets hurt, he could be done. Teams might not want to "take a chance" on him if he's coming off an injury. Whereas, if he has a new contract and he gets hurt, the team will just wait for him to recover and he'll still have a job. Faneca is pissed now, not because he's greedy, not because he isn't happy with the contract he signed, but because he wants the extension that he has been promised. And if the Steelers don't want him, as they are making it obvious to him that they don't, he would like to be traded to a team that DOES want him. It's that simple. How can you begrudge a guy the right to be upset about that?

2. People say he shouldn't make it so public, but what's he going to do? He's being asked these questions by the media. He's going to answer them. Faneca has never been one to refuse to answer questions, certainly not on something so emotionally important for him. And it's easy for us to say stuff about him, label him selfish, or an *******, or a whiner, or whatever. But we don't know him. We've never met him. Let's look at the people who have met him, and see what they think. Hines obviously is supporting him. I've talked to 2 people who have met Faneca, and they both said he is a good guy. My cousin used to work at a restaurant and some of the Steelers used to go there. She was telling me one day about how Ben was an ******* when he came, but Faneca was a nice guy. He'd bring his family, and he never expected to be treated any differently than any of the other customers. So, before we jump to conclusions based on things we've heard through the media, let's look at it in the context of a good guy who, rightfully so, is trying to look after his business in the best way he can. He's going to play as hard as he can, that much should not be questioned, and he has every right to be unhappy about the way that the Steelers have pretty much turned their backs on him now.

3. And then there's the whole idea that Faneca isn't as important as a Tackle. Ok, sure, maybe the average guard isn't as important as the average Tackle. But Faneca is far above the average guard. Anyone who thinks Marvel Smith deserves more money than him is an idiot. Smith is a pretty good Tackle, Faneca is an all-pro guard. Faneca is more important to the Steelers than any Tackle could be.

4. I thought of a potential solution to this problem. I think the Steelers should talk to the Cardinals to see what they'd be willing to pay him. Then, offer Faneca that kind of a contract, let him play out this year, maybe even next year if possible, and then trade him to the Cards. That way, the Steelers are happy because they got 1 more year out of their best guard without him being disgruntled and a distraction and without getting into cap trouble, and Faneca is happy because he has a long term contract that will pay him at least close to what he wants and he'll get to go to a team that wants him.

Steelrane
05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
It's time to break the cycle of letting GREAT Players leave because of low pay. We need to pay Faneca fair market price. He works so hard for the team it would be another great loss for us.:banging:

BBC
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
we are not gonna get a big name for an aging guard, the most we can get is a second round draft pick........... i doubt the steelers would be willing to pay deuces contract, or Fitzgerald or boldins.........

We probably couldn't even get that now. Teams aren't going to deal much for a disgruntled player, because they know that his team has their backs against the wall and are desperate for a deal. The Steelers should have made this trade before any of this stuff was made public, now we'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him (or a player of equivalent talent).

BBC
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Four guards being vastly overpaid does not mean the rest of the league needs to overpay for their guards, but I digress.

Nineteen million over three years equates to 6.3 million a year. Walker is sitting at 5 a year, while the rest are around seven. How did they not offer him similar money?

House of Steel
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Intresting statistics, very interesting. Thanks for the Numbers.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I've made my points about Alan ... Im quite frankly tired of talking about it at this point because it's frustrating :lol:. Im sure there will be more news in the future about him but for right now I've made my point of view on it so I'll just leave at that, and talk about all the other Steelers stuff... :)

I'll jump back in on this issue when we get more news of the situation in the future....

BlackGold4vr
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
It's time to break the cycle of letting GREAT Players leave because of low pay. We need to pay Faneca fair market price. He works so hard for the team it would be another great loss for us.:banging:

The facts are that we cannot afford to pay every player what their market value would be. No way that a good team (18 months removed from a superbowl) can keep ALL their good players. Every good team must prioritize which players that they can afford to pay market value for and which ones they can't. Yeah, I know that it's a ****** thing to do to players who have played their guts out for you but those are some of the tough business decisions that must be made. If you have paid attention to the Patriots over the last 6 or 7 years since they have become one of the elite franchises they have also parted ways with some really good players. Even Tom Brady has voiced his displeasure with some of the players that they have parted ways with. When you look at what our salary cap looks like we are not a cheap team. We are paying our players and paying some of them a lot. But you can only spread it out so far and then you have to make some tough choices. It's the nature of the beast!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
I've made my points about Alan ... Im quite frankly tired of talking about it at this point because it's frustrating :lol:. Im sure there will be more news in the future about him but for right now I've made my point of view on it so I'll just leave at that, and talk about all the other Steelers stuff... :)

I'll jump back in on this issue when we get more news of the situation in the future....

I agree Top,:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm so tired of the Alan Faneca topic. No more negative vibes only positive ones.:lol: I just want to hold hands and sing we are the world.:lol:

DIESELMAN
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I agree Top,:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm so tired of the Alan Faneca topic. No more negative vibes only positive ones.:lol: I just want to hold hands and sing we are the world.:lol:

LMAO!!! NO!! NO!! NO!! :lol: I agree, this whole Faneca thing has worn out a lot of people, we'll find out more in July.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
LMAO!!! NO!! NO!! NO!! :lol: I agree, this whole Faneca thing has worn out a lot of people, we'll find out more in July.

lol Come on Diesel whats wrong with We Are The World?:lol:

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
There is 2 players that I believe we don't have to worry aout losing at the moment, Troy and Ben.