PDA

View Full Version : Faneca, Polamalu to practice with team

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:05 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785177-66.stm

Friday, May 11, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New coach Mike Tomlin should see two vital components of the Steelers' Super Bowl team on the practice field when his second minicamp starts today.

Guard Alan Faneca and safety Troy Polamalu, who did not attend minicamp three weeks ago, have told club officials they will join their teammates for three days of required practices this weekend.

Between them, Faneca and Polamalu have made nine Pro Bowls. They also enter the final year of their contracts and no progress has been reported in contract talks with either player.

While the players were not required to attend the first minicamp April 20-22, all but Faneca, Polamalu and linebacker Clark Haggans participated. Haggans and Polamalu provided Tomlin with excuses; Faneca did not. Haggans was at a team meeting last night and also will be at this camp.

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, however, promised to turn out as the new draft class and free agent rookies join the veterans on the field for the first time.

Faneca, a nine-year starter, expressed disappointment shortly after the Steelers hired Tomlin in February and that they did not instead hire Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt, two former members of Bill Cowher's staff, to become the next head coach.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them," Faneca said from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

However, it is not so much who is coach but lagging contract talks that Faneca and his agent, Rick Smith, seem most unhappy about. Faneca was paid a $1 million roster bonus in March and is due a $3,375,000 salary at a time when free-agent guards who have never been to a Pro Bowl have signed contracts guaranteeing $17 million.

"It's between Alan and the front-office people," receiver Hines Ward said after talking to Faneca before the first minicamp. "We as players support Alan and whatever decision he makes."

Said fellow starting guard Kendall Simmons during the first minicamp, "The whole thing that is going on is all business and is part of it, and every guy is going to go through it eventually."

Tomlin talked with Faneca when the player turned up at the team's South Side training center the day before the first minicamp.

"I know I have no personal issues with him," Tomlin said at the time.

We all knew Troy would be there at this camp so that's not a concern. We all figured Alan would be there as well and here he is. You know the press will be all over him to issue a statement and talk about what's been going on so this weekend should be pretty interesting if he actually talks about it. I don't think he'll end up saying too much though until it gets closer to camp if a deal doesn't get done for him.

steelcurtaingal
05-11-2007, 10:41 AM
thi sis good news. i expected polamalu to be there, but wasnt sure about faneca. We'll just have to wait and see if faneca issues any statement about his.. um.... long absense.

PsychoWard
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
that is good news!! it is also nice to practices are starting that just means the season is getting closer!!!!!

AZ_Steeler
05-11-2007, 11:37 AM
When I first read the subject I thought you said they were sent to the practice squad... Completely misread that one!

Troy will be taken care of but I could really care less about Faneca... IMO he is replaceable!

TEEMONT
05-11-2007, 12:06 PM
come on haters....lets hear what you gotta say....

told you he would be there.

BR7
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I say screw Fanaca.. he's a cry baby. But Troy, front office people better get their collective heads outta their asses and ink Troy to a mulit-year deal so he can retire a Steeler.

K Train
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
If faneca plays with us this year, which i still have doubts about, he wont be back next year imo....i hope troys demands arent outrageous though...he doesnt seem to be the type imo

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 05:00 PM
come on haters....lets hear what you gotta say....

told you he would be there.lol. he showed up just to avoid being fined and has a flight back the **** out of there sunday night. thanks alan. and to show what a "team guy" he is he handed in his "team co-captain duties" and said someone else needs to do it. :bigthumb:

maybe alan should do the whole team a favor and just skip out until week 10.

his audio interview on postgazette was great. :cursin: hes pissed!!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785306-66.stm

K Train
05-11-2007, 05:01 PM
i wanna hear this interview...

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TIme to ship the stupid *** out of here. We don't need this distraction. I say trade him now while we can get value for him. SIGH!!! I am extremely disappointed in him.

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 05:07 PM
TIme to ship the stupid *** out of here. We don't need this distraction. I say trade him now while we can get value for him. SIGH!!! I am extremely disappointed in him.
Trade him to Whiz and Grimm for Edge and a draft pick in '08.

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
There is no way Edge would be traded for Faneca, are you kidding me? I would say maybe Boldin or Fitzgerald and a Second Round Draft Pick in 2008. Edge would be dreaming a bit too high.

SteelerFan87
05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
BR7, look at it this way. Say you worked your *** off at you job. You are considered by many to be the best at what you do. You have 1 year left on your contract. Are you telling me you wouldn't be at all pissed if the company didn't even offer you a new contract?

maybe alan should do the whole team a favor and just skip out until week 10.

:eek: :eyecrazy: :crazy: :jawdrop: WTF? Do you LIKE losing? How would it be a favor to the Steelers for us to be without our best O-lineman for 9 weeks, while still having him on the roster and paying him for nothing? I mean, it's one thing to say trade him, or let him play this year and let him go, but to say we keep him but not have him play?? Please tell me that was a joke. (But even then, it still doesn't make sense)

And HOS, the Steelers made this distraction by not even trying to resign him. They've handled this situation horribly, and made it obvious from the start they didn't even want to talk to him about an extension.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
BR7, look at it this way. Say you worked your *** off at you job. You are considered by many to be the best at what you do. You have 1 year left on your contract. Are you telling me you wouldn't be at all pissed if the company didn't even offer you a new contract?

:eek: :eyecrazy: :crazy: :jawdrop: WTF? Do you LIKE losing? How would it be a favor to the Steelers for us to be without our best O-lineman for 9 weeks, while still having him on the roster and paying him for nothing? I mean, it's one thing to say trade him, or let him play this year and let him go, but to say we keep him but not have him play?? Please tell me that was a joke. (But even then, it still doesn't make sense)

And HOS, the Steelers made this distraction by not even trying to resign him. They've handled this situation horribly, and made it obvious from the start they didn't even want to talk to him about an extension.it was a fecetious comment. listen to the interview. he hasnt even though about whether he will sit out the season or not, but didnt rule it out. if it worked for deion branch it could work for him. it is becomming a trend in todays nfl. players like him, briggs, porter, a. samuel, moss... threatenning to throw a fit and not be productive unless their employers give them what they want.

do you like losing? how does 8-8 with faneca on the roster taste? how bout faneca telling the team to go find a new team captain cause he aint gonna be there anyways.

yeah, thats the mindset of a winner, whose got his mind on the team. if faneca is the key to the steelers winning, then we are in much more deeper **** than i initially suspected.

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
him sitting out will be the same as he's playing, he's gonna be playing not to get hurt, he's gonna slow down the development of a new player and cause problems with chemistry, it would be better for him to just sit out cause no point in playing not to get hurt.........and like tony said we were 8-8 with him, hell we were 6-10 with him a few years ago, he is not what makes us win, it's our playmakers in ward, willie, ben.....it's our defense which is gonna be pretty good next year since everyone is on the same page and no one is acting like a bitch...........so again, faneca is not as important as some may think, i'd love him back, but if he's gonna be a bitch about it then **** him, it's not like he's a tackle where it's tough to get a good one, he's only a guard, mahan can feel in for that......

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:42 PM
the whole team was losing last year when Alan was here. It's not like him being on his game or off would have made a difference last year alone when the whole team stunk..but he was a big reason for our success over the years. His dedication was second to none !

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
we go as our playmakers go, not our one guard, he doesn't make the line, a good line has good chemistry, he's obviously ruining that by being a bitch, mahan can fit in just fine and the hunger to win will go up.......faneca wants to be with his daddy so ship him there..........no point in being bummed out about this, he don't want to be here then i don't want him here either..........the rooney's no more then us, and they feel he's not worth the big bucks, so i applaud them for refusing to overpay............

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
He said he never asked to be traded to Arizona. The dude doesn't make our line but he certainly isn't the reason we sucked last year so to think anything remotely close to that would be wrong IMO.

You give your all and get the shaft then offer an alternative that's a win-win situation and you still get the shaft, don't tell me every one of you wouldn't be pissed off too.

The Rooney's aren't blameless in all of this, don't think they don't have a hidden agenda too. It's a business for them just like everyone else. They may be the most respected owners in the league but to think they tell us the "whole story" in situations like this would be unwise too.

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
all we need is a shake up, and get ppl that want to be here to build chemistry, you can tell he wants to be with his lover in arizona......... even when he was at his best he we weren't all that great, and he wasn't all that good last year, sure he had some good games, but he had some ****** ones........ that's why he's not worth the big bucks, and not worth getting all pissy about him leaving........ it was obvious he doesn't make the line better, the line is at it's best when they are hungry, well coached, and the chemistry is good........... this year they will be hungry, they will actually have good coaching, not a bitch that had no passion this past year, and the chemistry will be good just as long as faneca doesn't **** it up like he seems to be doing cause he's a hoe bag and not gonna give it his all cause he's gonna be afraid to get hurt

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Just because the coaches may or not have had passion last year doesn't make Alan expendable because he and the whole line stunk up the joint. Don't forget just 2 years ago this was the same OL that helped take us to a super bowl. You don't suddenly start to suck 1 year removed from a championship no matter what your coaches were like.

I'll miss him but I'll never stop bleeding black n gold :towelwave: :cope:

Koopa
05-11-2007, 06:58 PM
when they were all good was because they were all hungry and on a mission, faneca didn't make them better, he was just one of the good players on the line, as soon as the mission was complete, the coaching went to ****, the hunger and passion was lost........... now they are hungry again and on a new mission, all except faneca, he deserves to get paid but not overpaid...... and again i applaud the rooney's for sticking to their guns and refusing to overpay talent........ it's not that big of a deal, we have lost better players the faneca and still contended............

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Well of course Faneca didn't make the whole line, no one player does. Who's to say he wouldn't be or isn't hungry with the rest of them. I don't doubt his dedication to the game and to winning more championships but what I do doubt are the reasons behind the front office either not paying him or not trading him and getting him into a situation where he's happy and we get some good draft picks for him.

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:04 PM
i think having blalock right now would be great and make alot of you feel better...but we dont and life must go on, someone will fill the void....someone always does. We might end up trading him for some quality picks next year to draft some oline...but that doesnt mean 1 year without him is completely shot. I think hes a great player but i agree with koop on this one, your really overrating his ability...this is joey porter all over again and i hope you guys have gotten over that by now

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
TG is making a whole lot of sense. I can see where Faneca is coming from as far as his agenda is concerned, but then again, I can see where the Rooneys and the Steelers' agenda is concerned also. It seems to be a halt in the process cause neither one of the parties want to agree on some agendas. I think it would be best if Alan moved on with another team and try and instill some values in the future while we can. Of course, I will miss Faneca cause he was a bonafide guard for us, but after hearing the interview, my tempo has changed for the worse regarding my respect for Faneca. He sounds down right pissed off and livid with the Steelers. I wouldn't be at least surprised to see him hold out at the start of training camp. I mean anything is possible, look at what Hines Ward did to the Steelers when we all least suspected it. Yes, I am a bit livid with him for making a decision to hold out like he did, but he got what he wanted in the end. Would it work for Faneca? I highly doubt it, reason being, I feel Polamalu is more of value to the Rooneys and it seems as if that is where there minds are. I know nothing has been said or done to spark the thought out of me, but I feel it in my thought that is where we are about to see. I hope.

87, it is a good point you brought up, I won't disagree with you on what you said. I respect your point and give you your dues.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Well of course I still think Faneca is in the wrong for demanding that much money. Although atleast he's not wanting to be the highest paid guard in the league but he did want to be paid like a top 10 and I don't think that's asking to much at this point.

Life will always go on as a Steeler fan, we will survive like we always do but that doesn't mean that we all have to be happy that he's leaving or atleast apathetic about it. He was a hard working, true Steeler and gave a lot to us over the years. He wasn't the reason we were successful all be himself but he certainly contributed.

Mark my words this team will go through changes this year and we will have some growing pains in the leadership area will become painfully evident when the game is on the line and everybody in the huddle looks for someone to turn too for inspiration.

Long live the Steelers no matter who is playing ! :lol:

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
There is no way Edge would be traded for Faneca, are you kidding me? I would say maybe Boldin or Fitzgerald and a Second Round Draft Pick in 2008. Edge would be dreaming a bit too high.
Faneca for Edge straight up or Edge plus a pick is not unreasonable. The reason it's a pie-in-the-sky idea is because the Cardinals don't have a decent replacement for Edge. Just because it's out of the question doesn't mean it's unfair.

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I get your point, but that is a highly unlikely scenario, but yes, we can dream. :lol: How this would tick off Arizona fans to see this happen though.

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
edge? are you ****ing kidding me? he signed a 32 million dollar deal and he sucks ***, hes lucky hes been on 2 pass happy teams because he couldnt handle anything less.

why would we get edge?? just that thought makes me sad lol

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
edge? are you ****ing kidding me? he signed a 32 million dollar deal and he sucks ***, hes lucky hes been on 2 pass happy teams because he couldnt handle anything less.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Faneca for a 1st rouder or a 2 & 3 IMO :popcorn:

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I said, Highly unlikely scenario. We could bring in Bolden or Fitzergerald for a trade and drop Wilson, that right there would upgrade our receiving corps, but we really don't need an upgrade as we have plenty of weapons at WR, with Ward, Holmes, Reid (I hope), Washington (I know he can be good), and Miller the TE which I know we will get him involved more this year. I would just say trade Faneca for a Second, Third, and Fourth Rounder for Next year's draft. :dunno:

K Train
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
ok hows this....faneca and wilson for bolden or fitzy lol

House of Steel
05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
interesting. Very. Hmmmmm.....I think we got something here.

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
YEAH,,,,,,,,,!

okiesteeler
05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I hope the steelers sign Troy before they talk to Faneca. You can replace a Guard much easier than you can a Safety.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
We could get a 2nd and a 3rd for Faneca very easily..perhaps a 2nd & 3rd in 2008 and a 3rd in 2009.

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM

He did well in Indianapolis because he can be used in pass protection situations. I wouldn't want him to start, but I would feel better about Edge than Davenport (who I support) or Barlow or Kuhn.

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 09:02 PM
He did well in Indianapolis because he can be used in pass protection situations. I wouldn't want him to start, but I would feel better about Edge than Davenport (who I support) or Barlow or Kuhn.

Edge backing up willie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we had money to sign edge,why wouldn't we sign faneca :scratch:
Nice to dream though :lol:

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Edge backing up willie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we had money to sign edge,why wouldn't we sign faneca :scratch:
Nice to dream though :lol:
Cause Faneca doesn't want to stay! :duh: :rofl:

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Cause Faneca doesn't want to stay! :duh: :rofl:

He would for the price it would cost to get edge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

25MVPKing
05-11-2007, 09:09 PM
He would for the price it would cost to get edge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And yet, he's willing to sell his enshrinement to the Hall of Fame for that price! He can have what he wants, he can go where he wants. He might not be able to do both.

...how fitting this is my 66th post...

BlitzburghNation
05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
And yet, he's willing to sell his enshrinement to the Hall of Fame for that price! He can have what he wants, he can go where he wants. He might not be able to do both.

...how fitting this is my 66th post...

Wherever he goes will not change his play on the field & he will more then likely go to hall o fame :popcorn:

My point is we will not be giving that kind of money to edge,faneca or whoever :popcorn:
Like i've said b4 we should've traded him in the draft :popcorn:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Faneca has what 6 pro bowls I think it is, the dude is definitely headed to the HOF.... IF he keeps up that pace for another few years. :imho:

K Train
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
i could live with a few picks next year though...especially first rounders, lots of good players next year

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2007, 10:08 PM
At this point I'd take that because there's no way he's coming back. I think a few 1st rounders might be pushing it for him but I'd be happy with a couple 2nd rounders or a 2nd and 3rd next year.