PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 V 4-3??? Defensive roster 2007.

Blitzburghpete
05-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Guys,

There's a lot of talk going on about the defensive scheme we're going to have next year, and how wonderful our defensive draft porspects are, but the matter of fact is the roster is for only 53 men. Some LB's will have to get cut if we need more linemen to play the 4-3 sometimes.

Who do you see making the roster next year on defense?

AZ_Steeler
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM
ah wow!!! I haven't really thought about it yet, but I feel strongly the first 2 picks from the draft will be on the roster and unfortunately someone is going to be pushed out but I'm not sure yet :dunno: I need to see who performing and who's not first :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 12:51 PM
The current roster we have of DL and LB's has been playing the 43 on a regular basis for years now depending on what situation or scheme that Cowher had using. The guys we have and the ones that got drafted should be able to fill the void just fine, in fact last year we were short on depth due to injuries at LB. If we carry 6 DL and 8 LB's that would follow suit generally with the past. Since Tomlin has already mentioned that we'll be a 34 defense mainly but still mixing in other schemes I can't see us making wholesale changes in keeping more or less LB's in favor of more DL or vice versa, at this point.

Steelerlyn
05-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Great question, and it hasn't even crossed my radar screen but I did read some time ago, that tomlin is keeping with the 3-4. Time will tell.:bigthumb:

Blitzburghpete
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
OK here's my point a bit more, I'm assuming we're not going to drop the number of LB's we have on the roster,

So dee line, we had 6 guys last year

LDE A Smith - R Bailey
NT C Hampton - C Hoke
RDE B Keisel - ( other guy name escapes me for the moment )

Anywho,
We drafted deee line men R Mcbean and L Woodley

Who's gonna give? Thats more bodies than roster spots as far as i can see?

Also if we DO play more 4 -3 then we need 2 NT/DT as supose 1 is injured of Hampton / Hoke what then?

What i'm getting at is i can't see the steelers making a transititon to the 4-3 defense full time until we start drafting/signing DT's and cutting some middle LB's ?

I think we're going to play this year exactly as we did last year, a 3 -4 all the way.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
LDE A Smith - R Bailey
NT C Hampton - C Hoke
RDE B Keisel - ( other guy name escapes me for the moment ) - Travis Kirschke

the odd man out of this list at this point would probably be Rodney Bailey unless he really steps up his game. McBean is poised to take his spot at this point IMO.

Anywho,
We drafted deee line men R Mcbean and L Woodley - Woodley will play OLB for us, McBean will be a true DL

Who's gonna give? Thats more bodies than roster spots as far as i can see?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I think Kirschke is a solid backup. But he has a bad back and he is getting up there. Not saying he will be cut but its something to watch. I agree with you Top, about Bailey. He should be looking over his shoulder especially if McBean shows he is ready to contribute as a Rookie in our Dline rotation. Then there was the Browns reject we signed. I see him nothing but training camp fodder.

SteelersWoman
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I think we're going to play this year exactly as we did last year, a 3 -4 all the way.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I would think we have some guys who are good enough to play in either 3-4 or 4-3, and that they might be gettin some reps in mini-camp and training camp this year to be able to help out with their skill and adeptness in both schemes. One or two we have are already familiar with the 4-3 and have played it at some point I believe?

I could be wrong, but I have a feelin that while we'll be seein much more 3-4 than anything, we'll still be seein at least some sort of hybrid during this season. I think Mike will want to give it a shot to see how it goes--if for no other reason than to complicate things for opponents.

As far as who I would think might be gone--I don't think I've ever even heard Rodney's name mentioned during a game, and I can't see us getting rid of someone we just wasted a draft pick on, so I'm goin with Rodney.

okiesteeler
05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I believe that Woodley was taken to help make the transition for 34 to 43 when we need to as he can play either as a lineman or a linebacker. Therefore he will make the team, I think bailey is out and possibly kirschke with his bad back.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
The 34 is our base defense but like we've been doing for years now, we'll mix in the 43 and other various formations to confuse the offense. Although I'd think with Tomlin here now we'll see more of the hybrid type stuff that 32 likes to talk about.

If our guys come together on defense we could be something special !

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
The 34 is our base defense but like we've been doing for years now, we'll mix in the 43 and other various formations to confuse the offense. Although I'd think with Tomlin here now we'll see more of the hybrid type stuff that 32 likes to talk about.

If our guys come together on defense we could be something special !

With players like Timmons and Woodley I think they can now run a hybrid defense at times now. Especially with Woodley. I see him as an Adalius Thomas type player for us. The Steelers could come out and have Smith, Hampton, Keisel along the Dline. Then Timmons, Farrior and Foote at LB. Then Woodley could either flex back and forth from DE to OLB. The "key" to running that style of defense is a flex player like Adalius Thomas so I hope Woodley can do it. Plus Timmons could move back and forth from OLB to ILB. Its going to be fun watching these young players.

25MVPKing
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Like what Black@Gold Forever 32 said,
I think that at some point we'll see both Timmons and Woodley playing Jason Taylor. Opposing quarterbacks will see: 8 in the box and not know whether they all drop back, or if the rusher is Timmons, Woodley, or Polamalu.

If Timmons and Woodley both drop back, Polamalu can easily blitz the socks off a quarterback. If all 3 drop back Farrior, Foote, or Harrison could blitz.

Obviously they won't all be on the field at the same time, but I think you'll see a strong mixing of schemes with players coming in and out a lot. The defense will be well-rested with fresh legs ready to blitz.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Like what Black@Gold Forever 32 said,
I think that at some point we'll see both Timmons and Woodley playing Jason Taylor. Opposing quarterbacks will see: 8 in the box and not know whether they all drop back, or if the rusher is Timmons, Woodley, or Polamalu.

If Timmons and Woodley both drop back, Polamalu can easily blitz the socks off a quarterback. If all 3 drop back Farrior, Foote, or Harrison could blitz.

Obviously they won't all be on the field at the same time, but I think you'll see a strong mixing of schemes with players coming in and out a lot. The defense will be well-rested with fresh legs ready to blitz.

Exactly I was reading how the Steelers feel that Timmons can be the MLB in their dime defense down the road. On third downs with Timmons in there he could either blitz or drop into coverage. Then lets say Polamalu could blitz with Timmons dropping into coverage. Its going to be fun to watch for sure.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
With players like Timmons and Woodley I think they can now run a hybrid defense at times now. Especially with Woodley. I see him as an Adalius Thomas type player for us. The Steelers could come out and have Smith, Hampton, Keisel along the Dline. Then Timmons, Farrior and Foote at LB. Then Woodley could either flex back and forth from DE to OLB. The "key" to running that style of defense is a flex player like Adalius Thomas so I hope Woodley can do it. Plus Timmons could move back and forth from OLB to ILB. Its going to be fun watching these young players.

Woodley has the size and skill to play with his hand down or play with it up so he's got an advantage coming in, much like Timmons also can play both but Wood has the size to go with being able to play more of a 43 and 34 guy so if he's able to really come through with the versatility we think he has it's going to open up so much more for us.

K Train
05-11-2007, 08:34 PM
ok just becasue they mentioned a possibility of 4-3 looks doesnt mean our roster will be effected by it...if we have a few packages of 4-3 then keisel woul pay end, Hampton and Smith would play DT, mcbean and hoke could be there too, Haggans or woodley could play the other end...it wouldnt be effective as a full time thing but thats not what it would be about, it would just be there to **** with the offense lol.

Linbackers could be timmons, farrior and harrison

the idea of 4-3 looks wont effect our roster though