PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to sign Barlow tommorrow.

Stlrs4Life
05-08-2007, 11:25 PM
A PITTSBURGH HOMECOMING

Pittsburgh failed to draft a running back last month. But it's on the verge of signing a veteran one to bolster its roster.
By Wednesday, the Steelers are expected to sign former Jets and 49ers running back Kevan Barlow (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235019) to a one-year contract. Barlow is scheduled to fly to Pittsburgh on Thursday morning to be in attendance for Friday's mandatory minicamp.
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img10172452.jpg Kevan Barlow wants to revive his career and the Steelers might be the perfect fit. The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Barlow could be the big back that the Steelers lacked last season without Jerome Bettis. Pittsburgh will give Barlow a chance to win playing time and carries behind Willie Parker (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494527).
And Barlow will be doing it in the environment he knows. Barlow grew up in Pittsburgh, attended college there and idolized former Steelers running back Franco Harris. Now Barlow has all conditions working in his favor -- a team in need of another back, in a place he wants to be.
Maybe this can help revert Barlow into the back he was in 2003, when he gained 1,024 yards for the 49ers.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I can't imagine he'll come at a big price, and since it's only a 1 yr deal if he flops we just let him go but if he works out and we find that he's got a few good years left in him then we got him at a cheap price now and the chance to resign him before he hits the market again. There's no guarantee he'll make the roster just yet but it looks like he's got his chance to prove himself.

K Train
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
well the jets isnt/wasnt the place to revive your career...no one respects the little talent Pennington has lol.

im not thrilled about the signing, but i got my linebacker and punter....who am i to bitch? lol

Prosdo
05-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Should be interesting to see how this goes. I hope he can provide some help for the running game.

TEEMONT
05-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I have always liked Barlow....this is a pretty good signing IMO. He has a lot of talent, and I don't think he can make us any worse.

House of Steel
05-09-2007, 01:14 AM
It would be something to see Barlow help us in a big way. I would be very highly pleased. I am going to give him a chance to prove himself to us.

DIESELMAN
05-09-2007, 01:23 AM
The Jets signed him and they thought they hit paydirt, I'll wait and see if he gets his head out of his *** and quits making the injury report.

Koopa
05-09-2007, 01:32 AM
bah, he's being brought in just for depth, not to make an impact, so who cares if he produces or not........

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I have always liked Barlow....this is a pretty good signing IMO. He has a lot of talent, and I don't think he can make us any worse.

That's the main thing about this signing; at this point it neither helps us nor hurts us really. It's up to Kevin to produce and sway the pendelum in the favor of producing and making an impact for us. The potential is there but the injuries have curtailed his production so we'll see what he can do.

ARKIESTEEL
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
bah, he's being brought in just for depth, not to make an impact, so who cares if he produces or not........

This is more than likely right.............but I hope he is the next coming of Barry Foster..................one can only hope:crossfingers:

kgreen
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I always liked Kevan Barlow. I hope he doesn't pull a Duce!

steelcurtaingal
05-09-2007, 09:31 AM
if he comes out hungry, i think this will prove to be a good signing. he could be the perfect compliment to parker.

BlackGold4vr
05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm still pulling for dumb-*** Gary Russell to make the team. If he can just get his *** in shape I think he still has a shot. Just hope the cartoon illustrated playbook isn't too much of a intellectual strain on him. :lol: He has the younger fresher legs IMO.

DIESELMAN
05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I'd rather pull for Russell, then Barlow. What if Barlow does just enough in camp to make the team and then folds like he did in SF and NY? That would be a waste of a roster spot that could go to someone else in spite of the fact we need RB depth.Don't just add someone cuz we need depth if he ain't going to help when we need him.

BlackGold4vr
05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd rather pull for Russell, then Barlow. What if Barlow does just enough in camp to make the team and then folds like he did in SF and NY? That would be a waste of a roster spot that could go to someone else in spite of the fact we need RB depth.Don't just add someone cuz we need depth if he ain't going to help when we need him.

:iagree:

Just because someone can still fog a mirror doesn't mean you should pay them for it.

:rofl:

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Barlow is an interesting pickup, sorta like Duce when he came...he's a good back with ALOT to prove, if the fire to play is still burning this could be a good place for him... just have to wait and see...

AZ_Steeler
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM

:imho: I don't see this happening because everyone wants to play for the Steelers! When they strap on that black n gold something runs through their veins that re-engerizes them and makes them feel like a kid again and just want to go out and hit somebody! I think he'll be fine, unless of course he gets fat and lazy and always has his nose up the coaches *** to keep his roster spot and get paid ;)

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Anybody heard anything on this yet?

25MVPKing
05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I still have the sour taste of Staley in my mouth. I like what I saw out of Davenport last year and hope he just didn't get as much action because he was signed late.

At this point, Barlow or Russell... I could care less. I want whoever will contribute the most.

However, the one thing that escaped everyone else was the most important news of the post:

Friday's mandatory minicamp.

It's about to start! :towel:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I would like to see Gary Russell but I'm not counting on him. As for Barlow. I can't see how the Steelers lose in at least bringing him in and giving him a chance.

K Train
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
quit being so hard on russel lol, not everyone is college material and great athletes go to college to play sports, not hit the books....i doubt hes stupid cause he failed a few college courses lol....athletes dont have to be book smart lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
quit being so hard on russel lol, not everyone is college material and great athletes go to college to play sports, not hit the books....i doubt hes stupid cause he failed a few college courses lol....athletes dont have to be book smart lol

Who is being hard on Gary Russell? No kidding athletes don't have to be book smart but still he is a undrafted FA that hasn't played since 2005.lol So counting on him to make the team is foolish.

Now if Russell can regain his form and at least show that he can understand an NFL playbook then we might have something. But he is a long shot as of right now.

At onetime Russell was a badass. Its to bad that he missed all of 2006. If not he would have been drafted in the first three rounds. So I do hope he regains his form.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
His best bet right now is probably to try and make the PS for us and get some experience in camp and practice this year and then try to make the team in the future.

I'd be all for him showing up and kicking *** but at this point he's a long shot, but still it's a shot nonetheless !

PsychoWard
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
not to excited about this but we do need debth and we are only singing him for a year so i guess it is a good pick up!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Nothing on this yet? Perhaps he didn't pass his team physical ?

Koopa
05-10-2007, 01:19 AM
here's this from the post gazette

Barlow gets second visit

Thursday, May 10, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Free-agent running back Kevan Barlow will have a second visit today with the Steelers, who hope to sign him to a contract. If Barlow accepts their offer, he'll attend minicamp, which starts tomorrow at the Steelers' South Side complex.

Barlow, who played for Peabody High School and Pitt, has played with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets in six NFL seasons

okiesteeler
05-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Hell if they want to go out on a limb to sign someone for depth, my calendar is free for the next however long, they want me in the black n gold, I would be a big bruiser back, but slower than a little old lady with her walker.

However I think Barlow will be a good pickup, and I think he will return to form and show people that he is not through in the NFL

Wednesday, May 9
Former Jets and 49ers running back Kevan Barlow has reached agreement with the Pittsburgh Steelers on a one-year contract. Barlow is scheduled to fly to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning and take part in team's minicamp this weekend

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Another source...

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18322113&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

By: Chris Harlan
05/10/2007
The Steelers and running back Kevan Barlow reached an agreement on a one-year contract that would bring the former Pitt standout back to Pittsburgh, according to an NFL Network report.

Adam Schefter, an analyst for the network, reported on the NFL Web site that the unrestricted free agent was to fly to Pittsburgh this morning to take part in this weekend's team minicamp. Barlow, who played last season for the New York Jets, would join running backs Willie Parker and Najah Davenport on the Steelers' roster.

The 6-foot-1, 234-pound Barlow has rushed for 3,984 yards and 30 touchdowns in six NFL seasons. The first five seasons were with the San Francisco 49ers.

Barlow, a graduate of Peabody High School in Pittsburgh, was in town earlier this week to meet with team officials.

- Chris Harlan

25MVPKing
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Who is being hard on Gary Russell? No kidding athletes don't have to be book smart but still he is a undrafted FA that hasn't played since 2005.lol So counting on him to make the team is foolish.

Now if Russell can regain his form and at least show that he can understand an NFL playbook then we might have something. But he is a long shot as of right now.

At onetime Russell was a badass. Its to bad that he missed all of 2006. If not he would have been drafted in the first three rounds. So I do hope he regains his form.
Yeah, let's hope he doesn't end up being Maurice Clarrett.

If had to choose which I'd rather have... all things being equal, i.e. if both would average the same yards per rush and stay healthy, I'd prefer Russell over Barlow since he's younger and we could keep him longer.

kgreen
05-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Some of the best teams in the NFL have really smart players. The Colts and Patriots are a few that stick out. Noll's Steelers of the 70's had really, really smart players. So, I don't think we need this kid.

SteelersWoman
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't really know how to weigh in on this any different than all the rest of the posts I've read...I just know that of this moment, I've read that his stats have been going down consistently since his peak in '03, so that certainly doesn't sound good.

I'm sure he'll be an "ok" depth player, but I truly don't expect him to come in like a house-a-fire...sounds like he's kinda worn out--unless the black and gold uniform TRULY works miracles lol

jasonbay
05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
We needed depth and this adds it , I just think we could have went other places for it .

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Hopefully these young guys we have will step up and make it a fight for the other backup spots on the roster.

TEEMONT
05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
have they actually signed him yet?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2007, 07:07 PM
have they actually signed him yet?

On the Fever there is a thread stating Barlow was signed. But I don't know for sure. I'm sure Stan Savarn on Sports Beat will have something if Barlow did indeed sign.

25MVPKing
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Since no one has clarified this yet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2865754&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers

If you hadn't seen it yet, there you go and if you have, I just wanted to make sure you got it because no one appeared to answer your question.

I posted this earlier this morning in the other Barlow thread. ...hope that helps.