PDA

View Full Version : "Spaeth Motion"

BlackGold4vr
05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Exerpt from a Q&A with Mitch Browning who was formerly the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Golden Gophers and before that the tight-end coach.

Q. What was your favorite moment with Matt?

A. The thing that sticks out in most people's minds about Matt Spaeth is when we lined him up at wide receiver and brought him in motion to crack defensive ends, and those defensive ends - Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin - he'd flat KO them. And you'd see that they would stand up and start looking for him the next time around, or in the next game they'd game plan for that specific formation when they knew he was out there. We actually called it "Spaeth motion" when defensive ends would actually stand up and start looking for him in that particular formation. Guys on the sideline would just be laughing because, man, they knew what he was capable of doing. He's wipe them out! This year, I mean, he was devastating.

Q. The Steelers think the injury caused his stock to fall and that they got a steal. Could Matt have been a higher draft pick had he been healthy his senior year?

A. I don't think there is any question about it. I tend to agree with them. Here's a guy that, considering he was injured, played exceptionally well. He won the John Mackey award. That says something. That's the kind of competitor he is. Nobody put a gun to his head to make him play. He played. He'll play through pain and he'll play injured. I guarantee you that's unheard of in this day and age.

Reading this article from SteelCityInsider made me laugh when I thought about some of the conversations that musta took place between Lamar Woodley and Matt Spaeth at the rookie mini-camp. :hilarious:

25MVPKing
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, you're right....

They're on the same team now and going through it all together, so I hope they can both be successful! We really had a solid draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope he comes through for us like his coaches rave about how good he was in college. I'll probably never get over the fact of taking a TE in the 3rd round :lol: but hopefully he'll be able to contribute and help us out in multiple receiver sets and power formations too; especially at the goal line :cope:

Stlrs4Life
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope he comes through for us like his coaches rave about how good he was in college. I'll probably never get over the fact of taking a TE in the 3rd round :lol: but hopefully he'll be able to contribute and help us out in multiple receiver sets and power formations too; especially at the goal line :cope:

I hear ya Top Gun, I hope all of our draft picks work ,as all these coaches seem to say very good things about them.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Just don't think about Spaeth being drafted in the 3rd round and you will be alright.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick...Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick...Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick

Ok that's better :lolsign:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick...Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick....Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick...Spaeth = 5th round Draft pick

Ok that's better :lolsign:

Glad I can help you bro.:lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
This " Spaeth Motion" sounds like the play the STEELERS used in SB against Vikings ! They brought TE in motion and had him hit the "hole" on a trap play, boy did they kill that guy every time !!