PDA

View Full Version : Rosenhaus promises Timmons won't hold out

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2007, 12:34 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_506368.html

Wildly successful agent Drew Rosenhaus has never experienced a player holdout he didn't enjoy.

But he has good news for Steelers fans who are concerned about his bad-guy reputation for holding teams hostage during contract negotiations.

Rosenhaus guaranteed that first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons will be signed in time for the start of training camp in July at Saint Vincent College.

"We have all confidence that Lawrence will be signed before camp starts," Rosenhaus said.

Timmons, the Florida State linebacker who was the 15th overall player selected in this year's draft, will participate in his first official team function -- a mandatory minicamp Friday-Sunday at the Steelers' South Side facility.

"He's going to be at every minicamp, every workout -- everything," Rosenhaus said. "He'll operate as if he's under contract right now."

Rosenhaus said NFL teams traditionally don't begin serious contract talks with rookies until a couple of weeks before training camp.

With Timmons being drafted in the middle of the first round, both sides may decide to wait for players taken earlier in the draft to sign, so that their contracts can be slotted according to their position.

"About a week before training camp, there's a process in the negotiations where you'll see a flurry of signings, and a vast majority of players will report on time," Rosenhaus said. "That's just the way it goes."

Here's how negotiations typically go for the controversial Rosenhaus:

Sometimes, in order to speed up negotiations, he instructs his clients to boycott minicamp or training camp -- sometimes both.

A partial list of holdouts represented by Rosenhaus in recent years includes Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin, Carolina Panthers linebacker Dan Morgan, Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker (who was a holdout with Green Bay), New Orleans Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie (then with Green Bay), New York Giants running back Reuben Droughns (then with Cleveland), Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens (then with Philadelphia) and Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs.

How do the Steelers know Rosenhaus won't utilize the same strategy with Timmons?

"That's such a misconception," said Rosenhaus, a workaholic who represents more than 90 clients. "Since March 2, we've negotiated over $300 million worth of NFL contracts. We know how to get guys signed.

"Occasionally, once in a blue moon, we'll have a proverbial guy that has a contract-related issue. But we haven't had a rookie hold out of training camp in years."

AZ_Steeler
05-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I really can't stand that agent I hope he doesn't F this up! :smh:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I think I'd be more worried if Timmons were a top 5 pick because then Drew would be gunning for top dollar; but at 15 it's a bit more reasonable **knock on wood**

we shall see though; once numbers start flying around and how quickly others around him get signed will be a big key.

K Train
05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
i think hes a good guy with a bad rep cause of TO, you guys were worried cause he was timmons agent.....i dont think there will be a problem

DIESELMAN
05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Like the article said, it might be different if we had (or ever will have..:bigthumb:) a top 5 pick. Theres a process, I'm sure everything will go as planned to get him and everybody else signed.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
We've dealt with Drew in the past and he knows how the Steelers operate and how much he can realistically push for when it comes right down to it. We don't exactly throw money around like the Redskins do for example where Drew would be licking his chops at the dollars flying around there.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats cool and good to hear...You have to understand that I live near Chicago and Rosenhaus is the agent of disgruntled Bears OLB Lance Briggs. So I hear this whole tug of war with Rosenhaus and the Bears on a dailey basis.:lol: But it seems the Steelers have a good relationship with Drew so I don't worry anymore about Timmons holding out. Hell Timmons might hold out a day or two. The Steelers have had some of their first round picks do that in the past few years. But a lengthy hold out would suckass.lol

I'm confident that Drew will keep his word.:tt02:

25MVPKing
05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Hopefully Drew's smart enough to know who the Steelers are and who they aren't. The Steelers are not the Yankees.

BB2W
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
This is great to hear... if he's telling the truth. I never liked the fact Drew was his agent.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
This is great to hear... if he's telling the truth. I never liked the fact Drew was his agent.

Trust me I didn't either. But Drew and Steelers seem to be on good terms with each other. So thats a plus.:bigthumb:

Koopa
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
i knew there wouldn't be a problem, and i know it won't be, because like he said, it's been awhile for his actual rookie clients to actually hold out, just cause his big name guys hold out, he gets this bad image that every client holds out.......... he's the best agent in the bizz and cares about his clients and their money so i never have not liked him, cause he's only doing his job, which is to get whatever he can for his clients cause in football, nothing is guaranteed, one injury and you're cut never to be heard from again, so drew just looking out for his clients, which pisses off fans, but we don't matter to him lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
i knew there wouldn't be a problem, and i know it won't be, because like he said, it's been awhile for his actual rookie clients to actually hold out, just cause his big name guys hold out, he gets this bad image that every client holds out.......... he's the best agent in the bizz and cares about his clients and their money so i never have not liked him, cause he's only doing his job, which is to get whatever he can for his clients cause in football, nothing is guaranteed, one injury and you're cut never to be heard from again, so drew just looking out for his clients, which pisses off fans, but we don't matter to him lol

Dude you have to look at from my perspective. Since I live close to Chicago I hear all the B.S. going on between Briggs and the Bears on a dailey basis.:lol: My damn friends that are Bears fans bitch about Briggs/Rosenhaus 24/7. So hearing that will give you doubts about Rosenhaus also and along with his rep. Plus when you look at the Rooney's old school ways they wouldn't go hand to hand with the way Rosenhaus conducts business.

Now everything sounds good between Drew and the Steelers so that has to be a plus in my mind. We won't hear any next question out of Drew.:lol:

As for him being the best agent in the business. Hell yes he is and I never said otherwise. I have no worries anymore about a lengthy hold out from Timmons. So I can't wait until he is signed and kicking *** on the field.:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Also, don't forget that rookie contracts pretty much follow a formula. Picks outside the top 10 tend to follow a specific formula each year, so both sides basically know what the contract will be for.

SteelerFan87
05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I was thinking about this since the day after we drafted him. I was reading the article in the Post-Gazette about Timmons, and then I looked down and saw a picture of Timmons and his family celebrating when he was drafted by the Steelers, and there right next to him was Drew Rosenhaus. While I agree there probably won't be a problem getting that rookie contract, it's potential problems down the line that I'm worried about. Hopefully Drew knows the Rooneys won't put up with that kind of ****.

Koopa
05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Dude you have to look at from my perspective. Since I live close to Chicago I hear all the B.S. going on between Briggs and the Bears on a dailey basis.:lol: My damn friends that are Bears fans bitch about Briggs/Rosenhaus 24/7. So hearing that will give you doubts about Rosenhaus also and along with his rep. Plus when you look at the Rooney's old school ways they wouldn't go hand to hand with the way Rosenhaus conducts business.

Now everything sounds good between Drew and the Steelers so that has to be a plus in my mind. We won't hear any next question out of Drew.:lol:

As for him being the best agent in the business. Hell yes he is and I never said otherwise. I have no worries anymore about a lengthy hold out from Timmons. So I can't wait until he is signed and kicking *** on the field.:tt02:

i live in texas with nothing but cowboy fans, i heard all the same **** about him when t.o. hired him, and it didn't worry me once.........