PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-championship team?

kgreen
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Just wondering, but what is ya'lls favorite (or best) Steeler team never to win a Championship? Since I was born after the 80's I have to say my favorite is the 2004. Although I think the best teams are:

1. The 76 Steelers: I think this team had the nastiest defense EVER. Had it not been for some fluke injuries in the playoffs this team would have destroyed Minnesota in the Super Bowl, again.

2. 1995 Steelers: Poor Bill Cowher. He put together one hell of a game plan against the Cowboys. Super Bowl XXX would have been won by the Steelers if not for.......Well you get the picture. This team was loaded on both sides of the ball. Especially on defense. I mean they had Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Greg "Avoid" Lloyd and the best secondary Cowher ever assembled.

3. 1994 Steelers: Same as above. This team was just awesome. Just 3 more yards.............could have sparked another dynasty.

4. Any of the 70's teams: Those teams were so good they could have won 5 or 6 Super Bowls in a row, maybe more. They had everything. I dare you to try and come up with a better dynasty or more dominate team to match up them up with because they already disposed of the 70's Cryboys.

That is just my opinion. Now I want to see yours.

Dako
05-05-2007, 03:01 PM
2004 Steelers.....

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 03:11 PM
This is easy for me. The 1994 Pittsburgh Steelers. The 94 Blitzburgh defense is the best defense that I have ever seen. I wasn't alive for the Steel Curtain days.

That defense was just awesome. You had Ray Seals, Joel Steed and Brentson Buckner on the Dline. The LB's were Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland and Kevin Greene. In the secondary there was Rod Woodson, Darren Perry, Carnell Lake and Deon Figures.

This team should have went to the Super Bowl to face the 49ers that year.

K Train
05-05-2007, 03:47 PM
04....15-1 with a rookie QB...absolutely amazing

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
This is easy for me. The 1994 Pittsburgh Steelers. The 94 Blitzburgh defense is the best defense that I have ever seen. I wasn't alive for the Steel Curtain days.

That defense was just awesome. You had Ray Seals, Joel Steed and Brentson Buckner on the Dline. The LB's were Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland and Kevin Greene. In the secondary there was Rod Woodson, Darren Perry, Carnell Lake and Deon Figures.

This team should have went to the Super Bowl to face the 49ers that year.

Damn that team was awesome weren't they !! Ray Seals and the 60 minute men ! :tt02:

I'd have to give props to the 2004 Steelers as well, I mean 15-1 that is just outstanding !

Steelerlyn
05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I would have to say the '76 Steelers, had it not been for the huge amount of injuries, they would have won that Superbowl. The 1976 Steelers struggled to a 1-4 start before reeling off nine straight victories including five shutouts to win the division with a 10-4 mark. They defeated Baltimore 40-14 in the playoffs, but lost to Oakland, 24-7, after both starting running backs, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, were injured. :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Damn that team was awesome weren't they !! Ray Seals and the 60 minute men ! :tt02:

I'd have to give props to the 2004 Steelers as well, I mean 15-1 that is just outstanding !

The 15-1 team is a close 2nd trust me. But I loved that 94 team...Especially the Blitzburgh defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Im not sure we'll ever see a better LB corps in Pittsburgh than those guys. Not since the Steel Curtain has a group of 4 LB's put so much fear into the opposition.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Im not sure we'll ever see a better LB corps in Pittsburgh than those guys. Not since the Steel Curtain has a group of 4 LB's put so much fear into the opposition.

I agree we will never see another 3-4 LB core like that again. As for the Steel Curtain you can't compare any players to them. They were just legends of the game and leave it at that.:tt02:

BB2W
05-05-2007, 05:10 PM
2004 for me... :yesnod:

BlitzburghNation
05-05-2007, 10:28 PM
"94 :tt02: and "95 :tt02:

That superbowl loss had me pissed for quit a while :banging:

Can take losing,but beating yourself with them dam interception's "Killed Me"

Our "D" played great and i thought for sure at the end we were going to OT
or gonna get a TD and win it :scratch: Then Friggin "oooooh---Mcdonnels"
:cursin: :banging: :cursin: :banging: :cursin: :banging: :cursin: :banging:

I'm all better now,,,,,,,Can't you tell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
http://www.proexotics.com/football_pics/steelers%20linebackers.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Sweet picture.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2007, 12:30 AM
They look pretty happy there but damn when they got on the field it was all business and you better look the hell out because they were coming after you.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2007, 12:33 AM
They look pretty happy there but damn when they got on the field it was all business and you better look the hell out because they were coming after you.

Oh I remember trust me.:lol: I was only in my early teenage years when the Blitzburgh defense was dominating the NFL.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2007, 12:34 AM
It was something to behold in the 90's that's for sure when those guys were here and in their prime, that was Blitzburgh was all about.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2007, 12:37 AM
It was something to behold in the 90's that's for sure when those guys were here and in their prime, that was Blitzburgh was all about.

Hell yea it was.:tt02:

Prosdo
05-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Ditto!

Stlrs4Life
05-06-2007, 10:11 AM
2004 hands down.

SteelerFan87
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
In terms of favorites, I really liked the 97 and 01 teams. In terms of best not to win, I'd say definitely 04 (15-1! And total obliteration of the Pats and Eagles in consecutive weeks), and of course 95.

And then I got over 95, but then I realized we passed up Dan Marino. If we'd had Marino in 94 and 95, with that defense, we'd be going for at least our 8th ring right now.

BR7
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Id say '76. Bar none. As Lyn said, too many injuries. I think even Bradshaw was out for the beginning of the season. Had this team won the SB, it would have been argued to no end the greatest SB team EVER. Allowing a total of 138 points on D, after starting 1 - 4, allowing a total of 28 points in their final 9 games (3.11 avg), shutting out 5 teams (3 in a row, and the final 2 of the season).

The close second would be the '94 team. The D was stacked. Dunno how well we woulda faired aginst the 49ers (they were loaded), but surely would have played a better game than the Chargers. But you never know. A good D beats a good O every time.

'04 was nice to see 15 - 1 and for their record, was nice to witness that. But IMO, the other 2 teams were better than the '04 team. A couple of breaks or non-errant tosses by Ben, definatley would have won the SB.

strong D
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I must go with the 04 team that was amazing

ARKIESTEEL
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
The 95 AFC champ game always has stuck out in my mind. I thought Jim was dead

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
76 easily if not for the injuries to Franco and Rocky... The way those guys played defense in the seventies, the NFL had to change the rules to give the other teams a chance !!

94 --did have great LB's and DB's but that line didn't play together for us long enough to leave a lasting impression, Steed was a rock, immovable. Buckner just didn't stay around long enough, I'm sure he considers himself a Panther. Seals ,please, vastly overrated...:2cents:

Blitzburgh55
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
2004 for me 2

Callax
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
1) 1976 team easy best defense period, would have won 3 straight superbowls if not for our running backs all being injured was just stout "D"

2) 1994 team excellent defense, LB, CB and DL all Good offensive line that would take the air out of the ball the last 7-8 minutes of the game and run, run, run the ball except for a few gimmick plays involving Kordell Stewart and a good wr in yancey thigpen they just needed another player... a thinner eric green with less attitude... would have done a hell of a lot better against SF than that joke of a SD team they deserved to be anal raped on the field that night they had natron means.... and that's it

3) 2004 team, if ben would have played a little better, would have made super bowl very interesting but cannot argue with 15-1 played well enough ben

4) 2001 team If Kordell would'nt thrown 4 feet over hines head and the game ending INT, would have made a real nice comeback

steelers4life66
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Gotta say the 76 team. They had five shutouts that year.

Zachintosh66
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
id have to go with the 95 guys... lloyd and the other LB's, woodson coming back in the super bowl

$teelersRule
02-28-2009, 11:23 PM
2004, they would have won the superbowl that year if the Pats did not cheat. thats one of the games they admitted to.

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2009, 12:47 AM
76 Steelers, hands down. Best Defense ever also.

Steel Trap86
03-01-2009, 02:59 AM

no ****!!! that was ****ing incredible!!! i thought they were going all the way that season. that beating we layed on new england, im pretty sure, was the first real **** slap we layed down on those patriot queers since then!!! **** brady and cory dillon can suck a ****ing ****.:cope:

04 Stee's

Dean Denton
03-02-2009, 02:13 PM
My favorite team is the 2004 team. 15-1 with a rookie QB. That was nice. That was also my biggest heart break out of all these seasons.

The best team to not win a championship though is the 1976 team. Even John Madden feels that was the best Steeler team ever. Had they not had key injuries John thinks we would have beat the Raiders and walked away with the SB.....

Sir Blitzelot
03-02-2009, 02:28 PM
It's definetely the 2004 Steelers for me, I dont think I will ever get over that AFC championship game LOL

TampaSteelGirl
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
It's definetely the 2004 Steelers for me, I dont think I will ever get over that AFC championship game LOL

Me too!! I cried for 3 days till my husband told me to stop it!! :grin1:

Dean Denton
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Me too!! I cried for 3 days till my husband told me to stop it!! :grin1: I cried for a few days too. then my wife slapped me, and said, "what happen, your balls drop off or something?" "Be a man, and stop this BS, theres no crying in football." She has always been so direct with me...lol

TampaSteelGirl
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I cried for a few days too. then my wife slapped me, and said, "what happen, your balls drop off or something?" "Be a man, and stop this BS, theres no crying in football." She has always been so direct with me...lol

:hilarious::hilarious: I love your wife!!! :grin1:

Dean Denton
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
:hilarious::hilarious: I love your wife!!! :grin1: Thats when I really started to love her too. She's so tough and sexy at the same time. You would never think someone 5'8, 115 pounds could be scary, but she pulls it off when she wants too.

Troyisabeast_43
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree with a lot of you guys when you say the 1994 and 2004 teams both of them should have made it to the Super Bowl for sure. But I'm going to say that 1989 Steelers team that snuck in the playoffs the last week of the season at 9-7 when they were I believe 5-7 after 12 games, and needed 6 other teams to lose the last week of the season on Christmas Eve that year just to get in. It was the last Steelers team that the great Chuck Noll had the pleasure of taking to the playoffs in his tenure as the Steelers head coach. I also think the game they had to win that final weekend of the season was in Tampa Bay and it was 32 degrees and snowing that day there. It was just a really really odd bizzare season. The ridiculous thing about that team lead by guys like Bubby Brister,Lipps,and Hoge is they almost made a miraculous run in the playoffs beating the Houston Oilers in the playoffs in overtime in the wildcard round, and were a Tim Worley fumble away late in the 4th quarter from upsetting the number 1 seeded Denver Broncos that year in Denver and playing for the AFC Championship in Cleveland the following week. I dont know how many of you remember how whacky and insane that season was but it definitely was one of my favorite years to watch a mediocre Steelers team that barely snuck in the playoffs and needed all kinds of things to go their way got in the playoffs and were this close to playing for the AFC Championship that season.

Scorp
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Gotta be the 94 and 95 steelers. And the 2010 steelers.

steelersbabex25
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I was also not alive to see the great teams of the 70s, and seeing as I didn't really understand football when I was one year old, by default I would have to say the 2004 Steelers.

MDSteel15
08-29-2011, 02:47 PM
1976, 1994, 2004 and 1989!!! The 89' team wasn't suposed to be any good and they almost made the Super Bowl!!!

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Any one of the Cowher teams that should have won the AFC and SB but didn't.

Thisoneguy555
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
1976. One of the best defenses ever and great run offense as Harris and Bleier had double duty, both having over 1000 yards rushing while Bradshaw was injured. Harris and Bleier both go down in the playoffs and the defense just couldn't carry the load by itself.

That team would have been the only team to have a 3 peat if Harris and Bleier didn't get injured.

harpo
08-29-2011, 05:04 PM
94 Blitzburgh Team....:yellowthumb::tt02:

LarryNJ
08-29-2011, 05:48 PM
#1- 76, 2-2004

Stairwayto7
08-29-2011, 06:21 PM
95 Woodson, Llyodd , Lake,Dawson, Greene and the other deserved a Steelers Ring,

steelchamp204
08-29-2011, 06:33 PM
2004 FOR ME, that defense was just nasty, and Ben used to ALWAYS run for 1st downs. Very exciting tm to watch

MattyVfromCT
08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
one of my favorite topics to talk about.

before my time:

1976. wasn't alive to see that team but i've watched a lot of footage and researched a lot on that team. hands down the greatest defense of all time. 138 points allowed over 14 games, and the final 9 games of the season was by far the greatest defensive stretch in history. 28 points allowed, 35 sacks, 28 turnovers, 5 shutouts, 3 of them in a row. no other defense comes close. bradshaw started only 8 games but franco and rocky both had 1000 yd seasons. and not only were the both of them injured for the afc championship game but frenchy fuqua was too and our o-line was banged up as well

favorites of my time:

1) 2004. 15-1 with a rookie qb, #1 defense in the league, great running game, beatdowns of new england and philly back to back, the comebacks on the road against dallas, jacksonville, etc. AWESOME team and STILL pissed about losing to new england in the afccg. i lost it after that game, NO, not crying but by beating the **** out of my pos 91 ford explorer i was driving then lol. bunch of dents and a broken handle. living in new england made that game so much worse (as well as any other time we've lost to them)

2) 1994. a very close second. that defense was amazing, my 2nd favorite defense i've ever seen behind 2008 and a very close 2nd at that. ehh, it's a coin toss. woodson, lloyd, green, kirkland, lake, brown, perry, steed, buckner, seals, figures. NUFF SAID. that afccg loss was probably the worst loss ive experienced. its between that and super bowl xxx. to get beat by stan f-ing humphries of all qb's. the pupunu td was bad enough biting hard on the play action but the martin td.....i still have nightmares about that one. the ugliest, most wobbly heave you'll ever see and tim f-ing mckyer got burned so bad. ughhhhhhh!

3) 2010. i loved last year's team. especially with everyone and their brother, including some steeler fans, writing us off before training camp started because of ben's suspension, tone getting traded to ny and what happened in 09. defense playing lights out during ben's absence. some really memorable classic games, week 1 vs atlanta, week 13 in baltimore and the divisional playoffs vs baltimore, my 2nd favorite steeler game ever behind only super bowl 43. ben had a great year despite missing 4 games, mendy ran well, wallace was incredible, d was dominant as ever on the front 7, ike allowed only 2 td's all year and of course troy winning dpoy.

4) 1995. the 60 minute men, lake moving to corner and making all pro after woodson went down, thigpen's breakout season, slash, starting out 3-4 and having the "every game is a playoff game" mentality to win the division at 11-5. classic games against the bears, the domination of the bills in the playoffs, the classic afc championship game vs indy, still one of my all time favorites. then of course a certain stiff named o'dumbass for some reason forgot he was playing quarterback in the super bowl and thought he was santa claus on christmas eve and mistook larry f-ing brown and the cryboys for well behaved children and decided to spoil em with 2 big *** gifts!

5) 2001. very underrated team. 13-3, #1 seed, #1 defense, #1 running game, and if i remember correctly, one of the best run offense to run defense ratios in history. bus was the nfl's leading rusher before being injured. first year in heinz and the resurgence of the steelers after 3 straight seasons missing the playoffs. then of course the f-ing pats. this one bothers me more than 04. at least in 04 the pats were an established team, 14-2 and coming off 2 sb wins in 3 years. in 01 they came out of nowhere, our special teams were atrocious, peezy drops a bledsoe pass that would have been a td, and despite all that, we had so many opportunities to come back and win that game but kordell stunk up the joint time and time again. what could have been.....

honorable mention

1997. a lot of people expected us to suck that year with kordell as our starting qb and all the free agency losses: woodson, brown, buckner, mills, hastings, figures, etc. a lot of great performances, bettis 1600 yds, kordell 32 td's passing and rushing combined, yancey's 2nd 1000 yd season, dawson, kirkland and lake all pro as usual. some really great come from behind wins at baltimore, the ot flip from kordell to bus vs jacksonvilleone of my favs, at new england kevin henry with the most improbable pick ever another one of my favs, etc. brutal afccg loss.....

ah well can't win em all. win, lose or draw, steelers for life!

Root4Stlrs
08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Well, we have lived through all of them. I tried to answer this question about which one was best and couldn't so I asked my husband, who is totally mr. objective = I get too emotionally involved. I said it totally off the cuff, out of the blue, with no embellishment whatsoever and he didn't even skip a beat or hesitate for a second - the 76 team "who lost to Oakland in the playoffs when the running backs were hurt." He thinks they were better than the two teams before them and would have been greatest team ever.