PDA

View Full Version : Spaeth

RckyMtnStlrFan
05-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Last time I was on SA was during the draft. Everyone,including myself was pretty pissed about drafting Spaeth. After having a week to mull it over I'm not quite as pissed as I was when it first happened. There were a couple of good points made about him opening things up for Miller. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about it a week later.

Koopa
05-05-2007, 01:02 AM
i pretty much changed my opinion about it after a day, i read all the interviews and stuff, and it seems like we might have a steal here, arians says he likes 3 tight end sets, and the dude is 6'7, so there's that big redzone target ben needs, and this will give heath the chance to spread out more to get him the ball and spread the field out, so after my knee jerk reaction, i've come to like the pick and can't wait to see our new offense next year, should be exciting, tomlin is finally doing the right thing and getting weapons for ben.......

K Train
05-05-2007, 01:05 AM
lol i was full of rage for about 3 minutes, then i read about him and thought about it....turned out i was ok and i cooled down and i think i helped a few members cool down too....i like the direction were going in and the dude is huge and a dominate blocker

Koopa
05-05-2007, 01:11 AM
lol i was full of rage for about 3 minutes, then i read about him and thought about it....turned out i was ok and i cooled down and i think i helped a few members cool down too....i like the direction were going in and the dude is huge and a dominate blocker

lol, you're lucky you had a computer to read up on him, i was depressed for awhile cause i was at my friends and didn't know squat about this guy.........

DIESELMAN
05-05-2007, 01:29 AM
I think for the most part everybody has dealt with and come to terms with it. When he first got drafted, cuz everyone had their hearts set on a RB or whoever, we were all sayin WTF. Now looking back, I'm glad we drafted him, he will fit into our plans for offense pretty good.

K Train
05-05-2007, 01:34 AM
yeah then we got sep in the next round and mission was accomplished

:markit:

RckyMtnStlrFan
05-05-2007, 02:03 AM
i pretty much changed my opinion about it after a day, i read all the interviews and stuff, and it seems like we might have a steal here, arians says he likes 3 tight end sets, and the dude is 6'7, so there's that big redzone target ben needs, and this will give heath the chance to spread out more to get him the ball and spread the field out, so after my knee jerk reaction, i've come to like the pick and can't wait to see our new offense next year, should be exciting, tomlin is finally doing the right thing and getting weapons for ben.......

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm hoping that with more redzone targets Ben will make better redzone decisions. There was nothing more frustrating last year then driving all the way down the field and throwing a INT in the endzone! I think Tomlin is on the right track with the offense. :cope: Here's to seeing how it plays out.

DIESELMAN
05-05-2007, 02:34 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm hoping that with more redzone targets Ben will make better redzone decisions. There was nothing more frustrating last year then driving all the way down the field and throwing a INT in the endzone! I think Tomlin is on the right track with the offense. :cope: Here's to seeing how it plays out.
Not trying to make excuses for Ben, but with everything he went through last year...his head wasn't right, not an excuse, just part of the problem. Now that his head is hopefully good to go, a simpler playbook and bigger redzone targets, Ben should be more then ready to prove last year was a fluke. Like you said here's to seeing how it plays out.....:cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 09:49 AM
These were my exact words when the pick was made. What The **** We Don't Even Use ****ing Heath Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then reading how Bruce Arians likes to use alot of multi TEs and that he will keep 3 TEs calmed me down. Plus reading how Spaeth could be used for blocking and that could free up Heath Miller in the passing instead of using Miller as an extra OT like he was last year. With all of that it changed my mind with the pick.

On third and short this year and with two TEs out there like Spaeth/Miller. We can keep teams guessing if we're going to run or pass on third and short. If we pass on those type of downs with Spaeths size I could see him as a 3rd converting machine.lol

SteelersWoman
05-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I think MOST of us tend to go on past history, and to forget that we have someone new at the helm, who won't be doin things the way Bill did.

Initially, I was like everyone else--What the heck??? But then I got to readin up on him, and liked what I read.

I have a couple pics that show when he has the ball, he HAS the ball. Look how he holds it--no holdin it like a loaf of bread even when he runs! So I can't foresee him droppin it too often, or even gettin it knocked loose very often...and you'll notice (if you look closely) there are THREE opponents on him in that first pic.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4936/mattspaethmu5.jpg http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/455/mattvp2.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
He was a very good player at Minn. I live in Big 10 country so I do see alot of Big 10 players. Plus I bet on college football all the time and that gives me extra reasons to watch as much college football as I can.lol So I knew who Spaeth was and from what I saw he was solid all around TE.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 11:24 AM
This is all assuming that we actually follow through and finally use the TE the way it was meant to be used in today's offenses. We'll see how much of Cowher, Arians still has in him and if he follows through with using the TE more. Ben has more than enough targets right now on offense to be an effective QB, so once the OL works itself out in training camp we should be able to get a better idea of what type of O we'll be looking at this year.

Im hoping that all this time Arians has had these types of plays and offenses ready to go but just wasn't able to use them till now so we'll finally get to see how we do firing on all cylinders and actually using every weapon we have.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
This is all assuming that we actually follow through and finally use the TE the way it was meant to be used in today's offenses. We'll see how much of Cowher, Arians still has in him and if he follows through with using the TE more. Ben has more than enough targets right now on offense to be an effective QB, so once the OL works itself out in training camp we should be able to get a better idea of what type of O we'll be looking at this year.

Im hoping that all this time Arians has had these types of plays and offenses ready to go but just wasn't able to use them till now so we'll finally get to see how we do firing on all cylinders and actually using every weapon we have.

I don't think we're going to keep 3 TEs on the roster not to use them. I'm just hoping Heath Miller has a bigger role in the passing game. As for Spaeth, he can be the extra OT now and have a limited role in the passing game. Not saying he can't be a weapon. But with Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller probably being the first three options in the passing game. Plus Nate Washington and Cedric Wilson will get theirs as well. That will leave Spaeth not having many chances. Where I see Spaeth being effective is on 3rd and shorts...in the red zone as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't think we're going to keep 3 TEs on the roster not to use them. I'm just hoping Heath Miller has a bigger role in the passing game. As for Spaeth, he can be the extra OT now and have a limited role in the passing game. Not saying he can't be a weapon. But with Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller probably being the first three options in the passing game. Plus Nate Washington and Cedric Wilson will get theirs as well. That will leave Spaeth not having many chances. Where I see Spaeth being effective is on 3rd and shorts...in the red zone as well.

That would be the ideal scenario IMO :plus1: Using Spaeth as almost a Tackle eligible type of play near the goal line would be a cool idea as well because most will be expecting him to remain a blocker so he could easily slip into the flat or in the back corner of the endzone undetected with most of the defenders flowing to Heath's side.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
That would be the ideal scenario IMO :plus1: Using Spaeth as almost a Tackle eligible type of play near the goal line would be a cool idea as well because most will be expecting him to remain a blocker so he could easily slip into the flat or in the back corner of the endzone undetected with most of the defenders flowing to Heath's side.

Yep....I like on 3rd and shorts as well throwing two TEs out there. Keep defenses guessing will we run or pass. With Spaeths size he could be a 3rd down converting machine on 3rd and short.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
With his size he could take out 2 defenders and just let Willie run right behind him :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
With his size he could take out 2 defenders and just let Willie run right behind him :lol:

Dude that would be awesome.:bigthumb: Hey Willie is going to 2,000 yards this year mark it down.:tt02:

K Train
05-05-2007, 12:22 PM
willie doesnt need alot of blocks to go all the way....

:markit:

Koopa
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
if arians picked anything up from cowher we might as well just not play the season cause we'll suck ***, cause unless you win it all, the season is a failure, well not this year cause it's a new coach, but cowher was a huge failure, winning it once in all these years, he's a complete failure of a coach :lol: he was easily out coached by the shittiest of coaches, so i hope arians forgets everything cowher might have taught him and just be himself

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
if arians picked anything up from cowher we might as well just not play the season cause we'll suck ***, cause unless you win it all, the season is a failure, well not this year cause it's a new coach, but cowher was a huge failure, winning it once in all these years, he's a complete failure of a coach :lol: he was easily out coached by the shittiest of coaches, so i hope arians forgets everything cowher might have taught him and just be himself

Ok I agree that Bill Cowher's overall record in AFC title games isn't impressive. His 2-4 recoerd in AFC title games speaks for itself. His 1-1 Super Bowl record isn't terrible but he should have went to more Super Bowls with some of the teams he did coach though.

But Bill Cowher wasn't a complete failure as a HC. Come on Koopa, thats taken it alittle to far.:lol:

I think he was a better HC his first part of his Steelers career. You became a Steelers fan later in his Cowher's career. So you probably don't rememeber Cowher's early years. But the Steelers made the play-offs his first six years. Plus three AFC title games and 1 Super Bowl appearance.

Now I'm totally glad he is gone. I think it was time for a change. But overall I liked Coach Cowher and I don't think he was a complete failure as a HC. But you're right he did get out coached at times in big games. But some of the blame should be put on the players as well. It wasn't Cowhers fault for Neil O'Donnell throwing away Super Bowl XXX.

MillerTime83
05-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Have him and heath plow/carry the whole team lol

Koopa
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
i don't know, i just think if you have superbowl caliber teams and you only win one, then you failed, when you are expected to win superbowls and don't, that means you are a failure, sure he had a nice regular season record and all, but all that **** don't matter if you are at home every superbowl sunday, i know you can't win them all, but damn we should have at least 4 more superbowls, he was severely out coached on the reg, and it was sickening to watch, i almost felt bad for him cause he isn't a good coach, he's a good motivator and all, but lets face it, if we couldn't out muscle the other team and had to play a chess game with the other team you could pretty much chalk up an L, cause cowher was not a good x' and o's coach at all............. i respect what he did for us, but i hate how overrated he is as a coach

MillerTime83
05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
I have to say the reaction to our TE pick was like a sour patch commercial.
First there sour then there sweet.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 03:38 PM
i don't know, i just think if you have superbowl caliber teams and you only win one, then you failed, when you are expected to win superbowls and don't, that means you are a failure, sure he had a nice regular season record and all, but all that **** don't matter if you are at home every superbowl sunday, i know you can't win them all, but damn we should have at least 4 more superbowls, he was severely out coached on the reg, and it was sickening to watch, i almost felt bad for him cause he isn't a good coach, he's a good motivator and all, but lets face it, if we couldn't out muscle the other team and had to play a chess game with the other team you could pretty much chalk up an L, cause cowher was not a good x' and o's coach at all............. i respect what he did for us, but i hate how overrated he is as a coach

I agree with alot you say about Coach Cowher. Yes the Steelers should have made more Super Bowls and should have at least 2 or 3 Super Bowl wins under him. I don't think he was the greatest Xs and Os coach either. But I don' think he was a failure as a HC. Look at Marty, he has never even coached in a Super Bowl.:lol: To me thats a failure.

The worst loss to me was in 1994 when the Steelers lost to the Chargers. The Steelers were the better team then the Chargers and I really think the Steelers could have gave the 49ers a game in the Super Bowl.

K Train
05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I have to say the reaction to our TE pick was like a sour patch commercial.
First there sour then there sweet.

lol poor guy trying to get this thread back on topic lol

BB2W
05-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I was suprised by the pick because we have Heath... at first I thought it meant Tuman was gone. Then I read the article where Arians says he want to use three tight ends.

I knew Spaeth was a heck of a player... I watch a lot of Big Ten football.

BlitzburghNation
05-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I was :scratch: Then a little :cursin: Pretty much like everyone else !

But i started reading posts about him and came around like everyone else!

Really came around this week after hearing pat kirwin & solomon wilcots
breakdown his attributes to "Blitzburgh Nation" :tt02:

He's a TE in an O-Linemans body & he can catch the ball :tt02: :tt02:

I don't care how they do it,I definetly want Miller more involved in our passing game :popcorn:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
If Starks or Colon don't work out we can just plug Spaeth in there :lol:

K Train
05-05-2007, 11:45 PM
it has happened before