PDA

View Full Version : Steelers meet with running back Kevan Barlow

Friday133
05-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Steelers meet with running back Kevan Barlow
Friday, May 04, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Free agent running back Kevan Barlow visited the Steelers at their South Side headquarters today.

Barlow, a star at Pitt, has played with the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Jets in the NFL. His best season was 2003 with the 49ers, when he rushed for 1,024 yards on 201 carries, a 5.1 yard average. Last year for the Jets, he gained 370 yards on 131 carries, an average of 2.8 yards. The Jets cut him in February.

Barlow, a graduate of Peabody High School, is seventh on Pitt's career rushing list, with 2,438 yards. He scored the final touchdown at Pitt Stadium Nov. 13, 1999, when the Panthers upset Notre Dame, 37-27.

The Steelers have said they need more depth at running back. They did not select one in last weekend's draft, but signed two rookie free agent running backs later.

Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07124/783436-100.stm)

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
This makes sense if we can get him at a cheap price, he's got experience and would definitely add some depth to our stable of backs. If he's healthy I'd be up for giving him a shot.

Friday133
05-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah I agree TG, especially if the price is right, and I think it could be. Its always nice getting a hometown kid.

SteelerSal
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I know that Barlow is listed at 6'1" and 234lbs but by no means is he a powerback alot of you have been hoping for. He is close to the same style of running as Davenport.
He avg. under 3 yds per carry last season with the Jets. Barlow never impressed me much as a pro.

kgreen
05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Nice I hope we get him.

Byrd120780
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
The Steelers need another RB, so if the price is right bring him in. If Willie went down with serious injury the Steelers would be screwed.lol So depth would be nice.

AZ_Steeler
05-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm all for this pick-up I think it would be good and compliment what we already have :bigthumb:

Captcoolhand
05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
If you can't see pass Duce Staley the second there's problems. We had the chance to have him like 3 yrs ago and he decided to sign(again)w/49'ers. Played 1 yr and was gone. didn't last more than a year w/jets.
I like Barlow but his days are soon over,so i can't see him doing too much more to help us other than a fillin until the next guy. But if the price is right "Come on down." :2cents:

SteelersfaninPhilly
05-04-2007, 05:24 PM
My dog has more talent then Kevin Barlow. Someone smack some sense into Tomlin and Colbert.

okiesteeler
05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I am not sure about Barlow, he used to have some talent, not sure what happened though. If the price is right, it might be worth taking a shot on him. Are there no other free agent running backs that want to play for the future super bowl champs?

Byrd120780
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
There isn't really alot of FA RB's out there at the moment. There is Chris Brown, Corey Dillion and Kevan Barlow. Those are the best off the top of my head that is still out there.

House of Steel
05-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think Corey Dillion would ever don a Black n Gold Jersey. I think he still has some gas left. Chris Brown is too injury prone and Kevan Barlow, I have to say, I am not too gung ho on him either. Although, if we sign him for depth, great, but in my opinion, Najeh is better than Kevan.

(By the way Byrd, :welcome: :sup: I got your message but can't page back for now.)

BlitzburghNation
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Don't really like Barlow much :nono:

Especially when he's on the back side of his injury prone career :scratch:

Need a pounder not an older version of Davenport , just my :2cents:

DIESELMAN
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Definitely keep Barlow far far away from Pittsburgh. He is injury prone, thats why the 9ers got rid of him and then he goes to the Jets and does the same thing. Another Staley if you ask me.

K Train
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
i dont like him

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM
If the price is right he could add some depth. He has to realize coming here that his role is backup,other wise he has been known to cause trouble in locker room. We don't need any troublemakers in there!

K Train
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
not to mention...he sucks

Black@Gold Forever32
05-04-2007, 09:14 PM
not to mention...he sucks

Train, Barlow or Haynes?lol

K Train
05-04-2007, 09:30 PM
McCalister lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-04-2007, 09:36 PM
McCalister lol

I agree Deuce Mac would look sweet in Black@Gold. To bad thats a pipe dream.:lol: **** could you imagine the Steelers offense with Deuce Mac/Parker? Then factor in the potential of the passing game.lol **** we might never see D-Sep in action.:lol:

K Train
05-04-2007, 09:38 PM
deuce and willie wouldnt even be fair lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
It's not like we're asking Barlow to come in and start, he'd just be a role player and depth guy who we could use if injuries happen or if the starters need a break.

K Train
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
hes a bitch though, i would rather have najeh carry the load than barlow

RckyMtnStlrFan
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I know that Barlow is listed at 6'1" and 234lbs but by no means is he a powerback alot of you have been hoping for. He is close to the same style of running as Davenport.
He avg. under 3 yds per carry last season with the Jets. Barlow never impressed me much as a pro.

I agree. At a good price, I'm not opposed to giving him a shot, but I'm not all that impressed with what he's done in the NFL so far.

DIESELMAN
05-04-2007, 11:32 PM
It's not like we're asking Barlow to come in and start, he'd just be a role player and depth guy who we could use if injuries happen or if the starters need a break.

Shot that theory all to hell, Barlow will be the one injured. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 07:45 AM
hes a bitch though, i would rather have najeh carry the load than barlow

I would too, I think Najeh can be a good back for us now that he's had some time in our system and he'll get the whole offseason and training camp to work on his game.

If Barlow is cheap enough he'd be decent veteran insurance if nothing else. If he works out then Great !, if not then just cut him and no harm done.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I would too, I think Najeh can be a good back for us now that he's had some time in our system and he'll get the whole offseason and training camp to work on his game.

If Barlow is cheap enough he'd be decent veteran insurance if nothing else. If he works out then Great !, if not then just cut him and no harm done.

I'm agree with you Top. The fact remains the Steelers need another RB. There isn't a whole lot of other options out there. If the Steelers don't sign a vet RB then we have to hope for Gary Russell or Mosley to make the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Im still surprised they didn't go for one in the draft when it's obvious they know we need depth because we grabbed a couple RB's after the draft and now we're looking at Barlow. I like the picks we got but overall I wished we'd have used 1 on a quality back too.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Im still surprised they didn't go for one in the draft when it's obvious they know we need depth because we grabbed a couple RB's after the draft and now we're looking at Barlow. I like the picks we got but overall I wished we'd have used 1 on a quality back too.

The only thing that I keep thinking why Tomlin/Colbert didn't draft a RB is maybe they were not impressed with this years RB class. I think they had Bush on their radars but with the steel rod in his leg scared them off.

I read somewhere the reason they passed on Tony Hunt was his speed. Don't know if its true but thats what I read. So to me it seems they didn't like the RBs in this draft.

Now next year they better get another young RB in here and focus more on the Oline next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
That's all I can think of as well. I really thought they might tried to pursue Hunt more, we don't usually worry about speed so much with RB's as we do with durability and stamina so that's what kind of confused me about us not going after Hunt more but :dunno:

I thought for awhile that maybe there were content with Willie & Najeh so they weren't putting a high priority on another back in the draft and maybe were looking more towards one in FA or a UDFA as well, which would concern me just a bit to only have 2 RB's in our stable that have any experience.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
That's all I can think of as well. I really thought they might tried to pursue Hunt more, we don't usually worry about speed so much with RB's as we do with durability and stamina so that's what kind of confused me about us not going after Hunt more but :dunno:

I thought for awhile that maybe there were content with Willie & Najeh so they weren't putting a high priority on another back in the draft and maybe were looking more towards one in FA or a UDFA as well, which would concern me just a bit to only have 2 RB's in our stable that have any experience.

I hear you about Tony Hunt, I agree about the speed issue. But what sucks we don't know what Tomlin/Colbert thinks about Tony Hunt. If he was truely on the Steelers radar then I think he would have been a Steeler.

I'm totally nervous about the depth at RB. With only Willie Parker and Dookie as the two main RBs. Plus Dookie, has had a history of injury problems as well when he was with the Packers. I think its taking a big risk relying on one of these retread vet RBs or one of the undrafted FAs. I'm hoping Gary Russell, can regain his form and at least make the team. I don't think he will be anything special. But I do think he could be a role player in RB rotation. I like Mosley's size so I will keep my eye on him as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 11:04 AM
That's normally what you get with these older veteran guys, ones that had some good years but have also had some injuries. If Willie went down and we had to rely on Najeh to carry the load with nobody behind him with any experience we'd be in some deep shiat. With the Steelers there's 2 things that come to mind right off the bat and that's RB's and LB's. If we don't have quality starters and depth it's potentially a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree about the size of Mosely so that's one good thing Im waiting to see about him; how well he uses it to his advantage in running in the NFL. I like the potential of young backs in our system I just prefer to not rely on them solely if push comes to shove because it's a 50-50 shot if they'll do well or not. In an ideal world I'd prefer 3 backs who could carry the load if need be with experience and then have 1 or 2 young guys to groom for the future. Carrying 4 RB's and 1 FB is really what we need. It worked out well the last several years because Verron could play FB & TB so we didn't need to worry about depth there.

K Train
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
i think maybe we might be underrating najehs ability...he had some good years in green bay, i think that this year will be better for him, he'll get a full camp in and be in game shape right from the start....he might come out and tear it up for us, he is a productive back despite what we may think and i REALLY like the way the offense is goin and he might thrive in this new system...who knows, tomlin seems to like him and is content with what we have :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 11:24 AM
i think maybe we might be underrating najehs ability...he had some good years in green bay, i think that this year will be better for him, he'll get a full camp in and be in game shape right from the start....he might come out and tear it up for us, he is a productive back despite what we may think and i REALLY like the way the offense is goin and he might thrive in this new system...who knows, tomlin seems to like him and is content with what we have :dunno:

Its not that I don't doubt Dookie's talent. My problem with him he has always been soft for his size and had nagging injuries in his days with the Packers. Even if Tomlin is content with Parker and Dookie. The need is still there for another RB. You can't just have two RBs. You have to at least carry 3 and it would be nice to have 4. Since RB is such a demanding position from a physical stand point. Its ok though Gary Russell, will regain his form and prove he is at least smart enough to learn an NFL playbook. So he will make the team and fit into the RB rotation.:bigthumb:

K Train
05-05-2007, 11:29 AM
lol i know, but trust me....barlow isnt the answer lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 11:37 AM
lol i know, but trust me....barlow isnt the answer lol

Well at least Barlow has proven he can start in the NFL. He gained over 1,000 on a very bad 49ers team.lol Not saying thats great but at least he could fit into a RB rotation. He is a role player and nothing more at this point. Thats all we really need since Fast Willie is a top five NFL RB and Dookie is the main backup at this point. If he at least can be signed cheap why not take a chance on him? Thats all I'm saying it and the Steelers can't lose in my mind. If Barlow sucks in camp then just cut him since it didn't cost much to sign him.

But I'll say it again.lol Gary Russell will make the team.:lol: Or at least I'm hoping for that. I think if Russell can at least prove he can learn an NFL play-book then he can be a good fit in a RB rotation system.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Im all for Najeh taking this opportunity he's got and running with it. He's got the size and talent to be a good productive back for us. He needs some polishing and learning how to run with alittle more power so I hope he works out well for us. Ive always been a supporter of his since he came here last year but he didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff because he didn't play till half way through the season basically and he was running behind an OL that sucked all of last year so Im ready to see what he can do this year.

I agree though at this point Barlow isn't the answer but he might be cheap stop gap till we see what these rookies can do.

K Train
05-05-2007, 11:46 AM
lol gary russle will make the team, and Marvin Phillips will block for him, because you know, he was a top rated center before he went on his morman mission lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 11:55 AM
lol gary russle will make the team, and Marvin Phillips will block for him, because you know, he was a top rated center before he went on his morman mission lol

Well Phillips did go on a Morman mission.:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Hey Barlow has almost 4,000 yards rushing and 30 rushing TDs in his NFL career. So he could be a solid backup for the Black@Gold.

BlackGold4vr
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM

I would also love to see Russell make the team. Seeing how he is a dumb son-of-a-b**ch who doesn't have a lot of options outside of football (to earn mad $$$) he should be one of the hardest working backs in camp. If he can bring his 40 time down into the 4.4 to 4.5 range he might have a shot. The 4.7's and 4.8 will not cut it. Supposedly that is the reason Hunt wasn't drafted by us because he was too slow. The speed of the game doesn't allow for slow tailbacks, a fullback might get away with being slow. Russell was a great back just 2 years ago when he shared the backfield with Lawrence Maroney. Hopefully he can return to that kind of form.

:tt02:

K Train
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
lol wtf? links work better for that type of thing lol

DIESELMAN
05-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Davenport (I hate the name Dookie) needs to improve his game quite a bit, especially if hes going to be #2. He can't pass block to save Bens life (Ben got sacked 46 times last year), he gets scared when theres no hole to hit and he needs to tighten up. Hopefully Russell gets a playbook with a lot of pictures :lol: As far as Barlow goes, I don't like him as a back (3.9avg.) but if hes all we can get for depth then **** it, we need depth, 2 backs ain't going to cut it. Heres a link for ya K..........http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235019

K Train
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
ben also got sacked because he would hang on to the ball FOREVER lol....**** barlow, give russel the playbook with pictures lol

okiesteeler
05-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Held onto the ball to long? Half the time he was sacked before he could complete a 3 step drop. Our Oline had holes big enough to drive a semi through.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Ben got sacked because the OL was tin foil, because he forgot to throw the ball away, and he could never remember that he had 2 legs to run away from the pressure or scramble for a first down.

As Diesel mentioned, it's imperative that our RB's be able to pass block effectively or they'll never make the cut.

Ambridge
05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
The Steelers have no business talking with Kevin Barlow.
He's everything that the organization has traditionally avoided like the plague.

Reports on him about his year with the New York Jets is that he quickly became a locker-room problem and remained one for most of the season.
He found a home right away in Eric Mangini's "Doghouse" and could never find his way out.

BlackGold4vr
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
ben also got sacked because he would hang on to the ball FOREVER lol....**** barlow, give russel the playbook with pictures lol

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

You a funny guy! Better make them cartoon pictures.....

steelcitysfinestXL
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
ben also got sacked because he would hang on to the ball FOREVER lol....**** barlow

True That!!! Its like he only knew the paterns of 1 maybe 2 WR's at a time. Davenport will be a good #2 Kuhn will be a solid #3 let Barlow alone... if RB was that big of an issue we shoulda drafted one... plenty of time to pick up a unsigned free agent if it looks like russel wont work out during mini camps!