PDA

View Full Version : Woodley, ready to make change....

Stlrs4Life
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
From the Official Site:

Woodley ready to make the change
Thursday, May 3, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Making the jump from college football to the NFL means plenty of transitions for the players, and for LaMarr Woodley, there will be a big one he is going to have to make.

But he is ready for it.

Woodley, the team's second-round pick from Michigan, will be making the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker when he joins the Steelers in mini-camp beginning on May 11.

"It's no big deal at all," said Woodley. "I have the linebacking blood in me. It's just something that I know I can do. Going from my freshman year into my sophomore year I changed positions, and I got into it right away. I don't think it's a big deal at all."

One thing that will help Woodley is the fact that he played in a defense at Michigan that was patterned after the Steelers defense in some ways.

"Some of the schemes that we used with our defense were similar to Pittsburgh," said Woodley. "I was mainly down at end, but I had the opportunity to learn some of the linebacking position. At our school, we ran those schemes."

Woodley should fit right in with the Steelers linebacking corp. He has the tough, aggressive attitude that the defense is known for and he is a player who will give his all to win, because losing is not an option for him.

"I bring attitude to the game. I bring attitude and I bring a lot of leadership to the game," said Woodley. "That's what you're going to get out of me. You're going to get a hard-working guy who's going to come out there and compete every playŚa guy who hates to lose. When a guy hates to loseŚlike meŚhe definitely has an attitude."

Woodley, who had 25 sacks at Michigan including 12 his senior season, compared the way he plays to the Chargers Shawne Merriman, who lines up at defensive end and outside linebacker.

"I'm constantly getting after the quarterback, constantly making plays behind the line of scrimmage," said Woodley. "You have to know where I am at all times."

There is one transition that Woodley won't have to worry about by joining the Steelers. He won't have to change his loyalties.

"I was a Steelers fan growing up," said Woodley. "I have always rooted for the Steelers. The Steelers were my favorite team.

"When I was playing when I was younger, I decided to put on number 36, and I called myself "The Bus," and ever since then, I've been rolling."

25MVPKing
05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a great attitude.

And it's great that he gets to play for his favorite team--I'm sure only a small percentage of players get drafted by their favorite team.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Does he have an attitude or an ego?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM

I follow Michigan and Pitt in college football. So I have go insight on Woodley and from what I know he doesn't have an ego. But he does have a LB's attitude which is good a thing.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
it just seems to me that a rookie coming into the talented defense of the Steelers, saying things like you have to know where I am at, is a little egotistical. After all most offenses are going to be more worried with where Troy is at all times, and forget about woodley, which could be to their demise

Stlrs4Life
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging:

Wrong forum, can a moderator please move this thread? Thanx.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
I'll move it for ya :)

I like his attitude, he's got big time potential I can't wait to see what he can do. It's good to be confident in your abilities,especially at such a high profile position on the Steelers like linebacker is. He'll have a lot to learn but he seems up for the challenge.

K Train
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
i love every ****ing word he said.....confidence is such a crucial part of being a rookie in the pros....hes gonna walk in there like owns the place without being a dick...i ****ing love it, im fired up to see him play...he is a big, fast man

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
i love every ****ing word he said.....confidence is such a crucial part of being a rookie in the pros....hes gonna walk in there like owns the place without being a dick...i ****ing love it, im fired up to see him play...he is a big, fast man

nice post Train.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:I agree with you.:bigthumb: He has confindence and thats going to be huge. I know I don't want a rookie being scared or intimidated by playing in the NFL.

Koopa
05-04-2007, 12:29 AM
yeah that's not having an ego, i'm glad he's not talking like a timid bitch........ if he's half as good as shawn merriman we will have one hell of a player there.....by year two, i'm gonna be saying **** harrison just start timmons and woodley lol

Poonugget
05-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I agree with whoever said he shows confidence. You need to have confidence in yourself in this league. It also does not hurt to have some attitude or swagger as I like to call it on defense. I really like the way he carries himself and am liking the pick more and more every day.

DIESELMAN
05-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Woodley has been hitting people since he was in HS. Its in his blood to be a hitter, he could be the next intimidator. Thats something nobody can take away and from what I've been reading, its something he WON'T let anyone take away. He's ready to make an impact, lets hope he makes his presence known in training camp, then when the season starts hes out there quite a bit making people pay.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 07:20 AM
This is exactly what you want to hear from a Steelers linebacker..

"I bring attitude to the game. I bring attitude and I bring a lot of leadership to the game," said Woodley. "That's what you're going to get out of me. You're going to get a hard-working guy who's going to come out there and compete every play—a guy who hates to lose. When a guy hates to lose—like me—he definitely has an attitude."

DIESELMAN
05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
"I bring attitude to the game. I bring attitude and I bring a lot of leadership to the game," said Woodley. "That's what you're going to get out of me. You're going to get a hard-working guy who's going to come out there and compete every play—a guy who hates to lose. When a guy hates to lose—like me—he definitely has an attitude."

The next mean and nasty mother ****er!!! If Timmons shows up with any kind of attitude even remotely resembling Woodley's......Look out NFL!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Harrison is already one mean, nasty SOB and now adding these 2 young stud LB's into the mix and we're going to be back to the tough, kick *** linebacking Steelers tradition in no time !

okiesteeler
05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I hope we can go back to the linebacker corp like we had with (most recently) Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and company. That was a good defense

BlitzburghNation
05-04-2007, 07:14 PM

He's got an attitude,,,,,,,,That's gonna be put into any offensive players that
get's in his way :lol: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Heard him on sirius thursday and I like what he was saying :clap:

He also said his favorite steeler LB was levon kirkland :popcorn:

Can't wait to see Lamar bring the "WOOD" on all our opponents :tt02:

okiesteeler
05-04-2007, 07:32 PM
It will definently be refreshing to see opposing players being destroyed by our hard hitting linebackers (and for K-Train) our punter

BB2W
05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Nice read... I like to hear he plans on bringing some attitude and some leadership to the defense. The leadership part will have to come over time and be earned.

Hey Koopa... he's gonna be "the next" Joey Porter. :poke:

:lol: