PDA

View Full Version : Okobi or Mahan at Center ?

Koopa
05-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the Coaches and Front office might disagree with you on that whole Guard thing with Mahan; from all the interviews and talk when he was brought in it was to play Center for us so don't be surprised to see Mahan at Center, Okobi gone, and Simmons or Kemoeatu at RG with Philip being the primary backup to Mahan. I can't wait for training camp :cope:

that's why chukwun was the starting center and stayed the starting center in our mini camps.......... mahan will not start at center, and he'll be a back up guard.........damn i can't wait till all the chukwun doubters are proven wrong

so to all the doubters, chukwun has something to say

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/lucmclend20/925619729_l.jpg

K Train
05-03-2007, 05:48 PM
i think okobi is good enough to win it, i might not like him as much as koop (lol) but i like him and think he will win it because in my mind he wasnt brought in and kept around for nothing....if his back is 100% like weve been told then i expect him to start jmo

K Train
05-03-2007, 05:49 PM
that's why chukwun was the starting center and stayed the starting center in our mini camps.......... mahan will not start at center, and he'll be a back up guard.........damn i can't wait till all the chukwun doubters are proven wrong

lol is that pic the background on your computer lol

whats "chukwun" im not sure i follow that lol

Koopa
05-03-2007, 05:50 PM
i think okobi is good enough to win it, i might not like him as much as koop (lol) but i like him and think he will win it because in my mind he wasnt brought in and kept around for nothing....if his back is 100% like weve been told then i expect him to start jmo

lol, i don't like him that much, but someone has to back him up with all the doubters on this site......

plus, this picture kicks complete ***

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I dont care who plays center or who wears whose numbers (as long as 58 is not given out to ANYONE). What i care about is big numbers in the W column. And if for that to happen, we have to cut chukki and mahan both and put Dan Kreider at C, and all the steelers wear number 69. I dont care, Just Win Baby

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Care to put your money where your mouth is, tough guy? Okobi's cap number is too big and Mahan is not going to be a backup anything, if he's not a starter at guard he'll be one at center but from all indications to this point he's going to be the starting Center.

Maybe Okobi still makes the team, maybe not but the fact that he's the only lineman that can only play 1 position does not bode well for his chances.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
how are all the indications that mahan starts??? he didn't even start at mini camp, and who says the cap is to high?? to you yeah it may seem like a lot, but if that was an issue it would've been taken care of a long time ago........ mahan was brought in to bring competition to the center spot, and that's what he's gonna do, he's gonna compete but lose out to chukwun, chukwun hasn't proven he can't play, he did pretty good this year when he started or at least i didn't hear no complaints from anyone......... mahan sucked at center when he played for tampa, i doubt a guard that is making the switch will beat out a guy that has been playing center since his last year in college.......

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Okobi may have been playing Center since college but it's not like he's played more than a handful of games total for us other than preseason so he's hardly got a lock down on the position. His camp number isn't too high that we couldn't handle it but Mahan is a versatile lineman who can play guard and Center, just like Hartings was and like Dawson was. Okobi only plays Center so Im telling ya don't be surprised if he becomes a cap casualty or just is the odd man out after it's all said and done in camp.

Personally I don't care who plays Center as long as they kick ***, I just think Okobi even though he's the incumbent has a lot to prove before he'll get the job over Mahan who got a nice fat contract, but we'll see :greengrin:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Koopa, you just don't want Okobi to be cut so you can keep posting that picture of him.lol

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
mahan may be versatile enough to play both, but he's proven that he's 10 times better at guard, and guard will be a need next year when faneca runs to his daddy in arizona...... okobi has shown he can be good, that's why he was drafted and kept making the team cause they thought he'd be the starter by now but hartings wouldn't give up everytime he got broke........ okobi is the reason we passed on mangold and the reason we passed on kalil and every other straight up center........ mahan was just brought in as the back up plan just in case chukwun gets broken

Koopa, you just don't Okobi to be cut so you can keep posting that picture of him.lol

shhhhhhhhhhhh, i'm making valid points here, don't ruin it by bringing out the true reason i keep arguing with tg or any other doubter :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Steelers signed OL Sean Mahan to a five-year, $17 million contract. The deal includes a signing bonus of roughly $4 million.
Mahan was viewed as a guard by Seattle and Cleveland, but the dollars given him by Pittsburgh indicate he'll replace Jeff Hartings at center. Chukki Okobi and/or Kendall Simmons' roster spots may be in jeopardy.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
mahan may be versatile enough to play both, but he's proven that he's 10 times better at guard, and guard will be a need next year when faneca runs to his daddy in arizona...... okobi has shown he can be good, that's why he was drafted and kept making the team cause they thought he'd be the starter by now but hartings wouldn't give up everytime he got broke........ okobi is the reason we passed on mangold and the reason we passed on kalil and every other straight up center........ mahan was just brought in as the back up plan just in case chukwun gets broken

shhhhhhhhhhhh, i'm making valid points here, don't ruin it by bringing out the true reason i keep arguing with tg or any other doubter :lol:

You always make valid points. I never doubt that. You're a fun person to argue with.:bigthumb:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
that's just the opinion of a pittsburgh media, not from any inside source.........

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Now 32, didn't you think I knew the real reason Koopa keeps arguing with me :lol: Koopa's man crush on chuckwuhn has been growing stronger every day ever since he found his myspace page :lol:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Now 32, didn't you think I knew the real reason Koopa keeps arguing with me :lol: Koopa's man crush on chuckwuhn has been growing stronger every day ever since he found his myspace page :lol:

:lol: it's just that pic, it ****ing rules all, if ricardo cocwhatevertherestis had a pic like that, i'd be arguing for him :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
that's just the opinion of a pittsburgh media, not from any inside source.........

Actually Coach Tomlin called me and told me to type that.:lol:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Actually Coach Tomlin called me and told me to type that.:lol:

well he's an idiot he drafted a te :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
:lol: it's just that pic, it ****ing rules all, if ricardo cocwhatevertherestis had a pic like that, i'd be arguing for him :lol:

It is a bad *** pic I'll give you that :yesnod:

oh btw 32, Tomlin just called he said to tell you Hi :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:34 PM
On a more serious note. Does Okobi have a shot to win the starting centers spot. Hell yes he does....But like Top Gun already has stated the fact that Okobi can only play center could be a factor if he makes the roster with his camp number. Basically in training camp Okobi has to have a great camp and prove he is the starting center. If not he will be cut. He won't make the team as a backup since so many can play both guard and center.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:37 PM
It is a bad *** pic I'll give you that :yesnod:

oh btw 32, Tomlin just called he said to tell you Hi :lol:

Thanks for the message. I'm flying to Pittsburgh this weekend and talking pigskin with coach.:lol:

K Train
05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
ok lets be serious, any player that is actually labeled to multiple postions.....its because they arent great at either or.

There is very few T/Gs or G/C that actually can play at a high level at both. Just like there are few S/CBs....if your labeled to two postitions its probably because you play them both well but neither great...just saying that a versatile player isnt all its cracked up to be

Koopa
05-03-2007, 06:44 PM
lol It wasn't Tomlin's pick. He was taking a **** when that pick was made. All the blame goes to Colbert and Ariens for that pick.:lol:

actually i thought they had a special guest picker, and i thought it was cowher coming in to waste yet another late draft pick........ but after awhile, after reading everything i could on this guy, and the interview with arians, it was obvious that it was a good value pick, and that it wasn't cowher cause it if it was, we would've traded up, giving that a 4th and a 6th for d-sep lol

On a more serious note. Does Okobi have a shot to win the starting centers spot. Hell yes he does....But like Top Gun already has stated the fact that Okobi can only play center could be a factor if he makes the roster with his camp number. Basically in training camp Okobi has to have a great camp and prove he is the starting center. If not he will be cut. He won't make the team as a backup since so many can play both guard and center.

just cause you can play multiple positions doesn't make you better, it just means you ain't good enough to play on spot on a full time bases

ok lets be serious, any player that is actually labeled to multiple postions.....its because they arent great at either or.

There is very few T/Gs or G/C that actually can play at a high level at both. Just like there are few S/CBs....if your labeled to two postitions its probably because you play them both well but neither great...just saying that a versatile player isnt all its cracked up to be

ding ding ding, we got a winner here, k train comes through in the clutch with a very good post :lol:

btw, this multi quote thing rules all

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:46 PM

What I'm saying is Okobi has to have a great camp to prove he is the starting center. If not he will be cut. He won't the make the team as backup since he can only play center.

Call me crazy but I think Marvin Phillip has shot at this thing as well. He was a top rated center in college football before he went on his Morman Mission for two years.:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:52 PM
actually i thought they had a special guest picker, and i thought it was cowher coming in to waste yet another late draft pick........ but after awhile, after reading everything i could on this guy, and the interview with arians, it was obvious that it was a good value pick, and that it wasn't cowher cause it if it was, we would've traded up, giving that a 4th and a 6th for d-sep lol

I liked the TE pick but at first I was like what the ****.:lol:

just cause you can play multiple positions doesn't make you better, it just means you ain't good enough to play on spot on a full time bases

You think Okobi will make the team as a backup again? I don't and thats why I said he has to have a great camp to prove he is the starting center in training camp if not he will be cut since he can only play center. Most of the time you want your backup Olineman to be able to play multi positions along the Oline since you have limit on the players you can dress on gamedays.

ding ding ding, we got a winner here, k train comes through in the clutch with a very good post :lol:

We have a winner. I know Top and I already won this round.:lol:

btw, this multi quote thing rules all

I should use it.lol

K Train
05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
What I'm saying is Okobi has to have a great camp to prove he is the starting center. If not he will be cut. He won't the make the team as backup since he can only play center.

Call me crazy but I think Marvin Phillip has shot at this thing as well. He was a top rated center in college football before he went on his Morman Mission for two years.:lol:

where have you been for 3 years lol.

Ok **** you guys, our stephenson guy from rutgers is gonna start lol

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:59 PM
where have you been for 3 years lol.

Ok **** you guys, our stephenson guy from rutgers is gonna start lol

Ok, since I have to spell it out for you. For the last 3 ****ing years Jeff Hartings didn't know if he was going to play or not. So Okobi was the future at center just incase Hartings did retire. If Okobi doesn't have a great camp and does lose to Sean Mahan or even Marvin Phillip. Then he has proven he isn't the future at center and then he won't make the team as a backup again. You understand now?:lol:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
if mahan wins the job that means chukky just didn't want it, and if mahan is the starter i think we will have a very down season, cause from what i've heard from tampa fans is he sucks *** at center

SteelersfaninPhilly
05-03-2007, 07:05 PM
if mahan wins the job that means chukky just didn't want it, and if mahan is the starter i think we will have a very down season, cause from what i've heard from tampa fans is he sucks *** at center

From what I understand Mahan is in the doghouse. He apparently has not endeared himself to the coaching staff.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
It does not really matter who starts at center, if our Oline is as bad as it was last year they all need to be cut

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 07:08 PM

I swear you guys drive me nuts at times. Dude I think Okobi is good enough to win the starting center spot. All I'm doing is bringing up what if scenarios and if Mahan/Phillip do beat him out then I don't see him making the team since he can only play center. The only reason he kept making the team as a backup since the coaches felt he could take over anytime if Jeff Hartings did retire. So this is Okobi's chance to prove he is the man. If he doesn't win the centers spot then I don't see him making the team yet again as a backup. Whats so hard to understand about this?:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Koopa just can't keep his manhood under control when we start talking about Chukki so he has to break out the big trash talk :lol:

Really though I do think that Okobi is on the hot seat. He's been the backup and makes a good paycheck but the fact that Mahan got so much money to come here tells me that he's going to eventually take over the job and win the roster spot based on his performance, versatility, and yes his paycheck will have something to do with it too.

I'd love to see Okobi take over and be the next great Center for us, Im just not sure the coaching staff feels he's up to it hence the reason for bringing Simmons into the mix, and bringing on Mahan.

K Train
05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
it doesn not matter at all what kind of contract he got....if he comes in and sucks *** then hes not playing, this league doenst work like that....just because you get a big contract and are expected to play doesnt mean its gonna happen. His contract wasnt even "big"....if he sucks he wont play nufced

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
it doesn not matter at all what kind of contract he got....if he comes in and sucks *** then hes not playing, this league doenst work like that....just because you get a big contract and are expected to play doesnt mean its gonna happen. His contract wasnt even "big"....if he sucks he wont play nufced

Whats the point of keeping Okobi then if he proves he can't be a starter? We have been holding onto him for years hoping he is the future starter at center. With his cap number being high for a backup then it would be stupid to hold onto him. Especially since a certain safety that wears 43 will be a free agent. We're going to need all the cap room in the world to resign Troy.

K Train
05-03-2007, 08:03 PM
i didnt say okobi...i was talking about mahan, if okobi cant be the starter...cut his ***...i dont think that would happen but i agree with you.

TG was saying Mahan will start based on his salary which isnt true...he has to play and prove himself...if he cant do that then we have a "versatile" lineman on the bench

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
i didnt say okobi...i was talking about mahan, if okobi cant be the starter...cut his ***...i dont think that would happen but i agree with you.

TG was saying Mahan will start based on his salary which isnt true...he has to play and prove himself...if he cant do that then we have a "versatile" lineman on the bench

Well to be honest I hope we didn't give Mahan a 4 million dollar signing bonus to sit on the bench.lol I think that would suck ***. True it would give us a versatile lineman to come off the bench. But it would be an expensive one at that.

As for Okobi. This is his chance to shine. This is the moment he has been waiting for and this is reason we kept bringing him back year after year. To replace Jeff Hartings. For some reason I think Marvin Phillip has a shot also. He is the darkhorse thats for sure. But don't count him out.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Whoa there turbo, I never said he'd start based on his salary I said
based on his performance, versatility, and yes his paycheck will have something to do with it too. which is the truth. Based on the fact that they gave him a big paycheck tells me that they aren't confident in Okobi to do the job, and his interviews with the coaches and staff were mainly talking about him playing center. They thought enough of him to pursue him and he felt comfortable enough to come here based on the chance to start for us.

He will have to prove himself yes that is true, everybody on this team will, but make no mistake about it he was brought in to start and his contract reflects that so unless he totally bombs he'll more than likely take over.

K Train
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
well i hope he comes in and is the next great steeler center...i just think he is a better guard...........................

EDIT: i had a big post but ive decided....who the **** knows lol

Phillips will win the job because you know he was a top rated center in college before going on his morman mission....or so ive heard a billion times from 32 :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 09:22 PM
well i hope he comes in and is the next great steeler center...i just think he is a better guard...........................

EDIT: i had a big post but ive decided....who the **** knows lol

Phillips will win the job because you know he was a top rated center in college before going on his morman mission....or so ive heard a billion times from 32 :lol:

I'm just saying don't count out Phillips. I know I keep hammering it home about his Morman Mission. Just find that funny and I don't know why.:lol:

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
lol is that pic the background on your computer lol

whats "chukwun" im not sure i follow that lol i was kinda wondering if he meant chuckwan okolbi (like obiwan kenobi).

anyways, this whole conversation would be moot if they wouldve just drafted. kalil. OB1 could be cut. mahan could be traded. $5-6 million could be saved and we would be well on our way to resigning troy and faneca next year. the best center in this years draft is only gonna cost $1 mil/year.

not that i dont think okolbi or mahan can get the job done. theres just others out there who can do the same job longer and cheaper.

here we are discussing the possibilty of cutting okolbi and he couldve been traded to the browns last year for atleast this years 4th round pick. instead OB1 nearly lost his career in camp, played a little more than staley, and doesnt even have a secure hold on the job now.

he is the man though, and noone can look more like forrest whitaker flipping the bird like him. :lol:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
chukwun is part of his real name, his real name is chukwunweze, he uses chukwun as his rap name, and chukky as his football name

why would we want to get a soft center in kalil?? he belongs with a team like denver, not a team that likes to blow ppl up

btw, no that pic isn't my background, i have a custom made background from some dude at tsz, it's tony parker (i didn't ask for him they just used him) willie parker, limas sweed from ut, and lance berkman from the astros

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
why would we want to get a soft center in kalil?? he belongs with a team like denver, not a team that likes to blow ppl up
is that what mel kiper or some other over rated talking head said? maybe it was mark schlereth? we sure were blowing people up last year huh? lol.

why would we wanna keep 2 career back ups for 5X as much money a 10 year starter will cost? if OB1 were the real deal, hartings and his aching knees, contemplating retirement, and high paid contract, woulda been given their walking papers 2-3 years ago.

TEEMONT
05-03-2007, 11:59 PM

I think thats the point though. If Mahan beats out Okobi at C, and Kendall is a decent back-up at C pluys a starter at G, wouldn't it make sense to get rid of Okobi? I like Okobi, and if he sticks around and Faneca leaves....well he is my new favorite player. But continuing to keep him around as a back-up doesn't make any sense.I want him to win, but he has to work his *** off. Mahan and Simmons are getting paid a lot of money to just be back-ups, so is Chukki for that matter.

Poonugget
05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
To be perfectly honest I don't care who it is as long as they play well. I do think their will be a spot open at RG so it could make sense to have Mahan play RG if he is one of the best 5 lineman. Do you think it is possible to see this O-line though... LT Smith LG Faneca OC Okobi/Mahan RG Colon RT Starks?

Koopa
05-04-2007, 12:53 AM
is that what mel kiper or some other over rated talking head said? maybe it was mark schlereth? we sure were blowing people up last year huh? lol.

why would we wanna keep 2 career back ups for 5X as much money a 10 year starter will cost? if OB1 were the real deal, hartings and his aching knees, contemplating retirement, and high paid contract, woulda been given their walking papers 2-3 years ago.

no, it's what i've seen from him from actually playing, usc is soft, they all are, just look at the conference they play in, of course he was gonna look like a good center

and calling okobi a career back up isn't fair, he's been here from the start, but always had hartings in front of him, and cowher would never play a younger player over a proven veteran

Poonugget
05-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Okobi can play but it will come down to a numbers game. If Mahan proves to be better and they feel someone like Marvin Phillip or Stapelton the UDFA we signed can do a good job as a backup center then the #'s roster and cap wise won't be on Okobis side.

Koopa
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
i understand what y'all are saying if chukwun doesn't prove to be the better starter, that he'll be cut, and i won't mind that...... but the money factor will not be a factor when it comes to deciding who the starter is

Poonugget
05-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Koopa I agree with that. They will pick the best center based on ability but if it is not Okobi then he could be cut.