PDA

View Full Version : What intimidates Tomlin?

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 08:00 PM
In an interview with ESPN, Mike Tomlin says the thing that intimidates him the most is walking in to the Steelers Offices and walking past the case that holds the 5 Lombardy trophies.

House of Steel
05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I just saw this interview they had on Sportscenter. I loved every minute of this. Tomlin is a fiery coach, very passionate, very inspired, and very intelligent. He is going to make the Steelers a whole lot more diverse and successful. I think we hired the right man for the job. He is going to be very special for us. I can't wait.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
In an interview with ESPN, Mike Tomlin says the thing that intimidates him the most is walking in to the Steelers Offices and walking past the case that holds the 5 Lombardy trophies.

I think that would intimidate just about everybody....I think if I was to stand in front of that case, I would have goosebumps from head to toe.

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
the only thing that bugged me about the piece is h. ward, still seems a bit skeptical. his demenor seems to be of someone who knows they cant change it so might as well try to adapt and go with the flow.

as the mouth of the steelers who the media seeks out first, i wouldve hoped for an attitude adjustment by now. instead he seems like hes thinking "ho hum, hes our leader now. we'll see what happens".

on the flipside was john lynch being interviewed, who seemed totally fired up for tomlin and 100% behind him being able to succeed as a head coach.

at this point, i dont think i want ward or faneca accepting any leadership role left behind by jerome or porter. let them lead by example and let a player who has fully embraced the regime change be the new locker room general.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
i saw the last part of the piece they did on tomlin, i hope they show it again tonight, cause that last part i saw was pretty good........ and i can't blame tomlin for being intimidated by the trophies, but he's gonna had a couple more so it won't after awhile

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
the only thing that bugged me about the piece is h. ward, still seems a bit skeptical. his demenor seems to be of someone who knows they cant change it so might as well try to adapt and go with the flow.

as the mouth of the steelers who the media seeks out first, i wouldve hoped for an attitude adjustment by now. instead he seems like hes thinking "ho hum, hes our leader now. we'll see what happens".

on the flipside was john lynch being interviewed, who seemed totally fired up for tomlin and 100% behind him being able to succeed as a head coach.

at this point, i dont think i want ward or faneca accepting any leadership role left behind by jerome or porter. let them lead by example and let a player who has fully embraced the regime change be the new locker room general.

Well it seems that Ben has embrached Tomlin and I want the QB to be the leader of the team anyway. So hopefully Ben steps it up and becomes the leader of this team.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
they finna show that piece they showed on sportscenter on nfl live.......or at least i think they are :lol:

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 08:44 PM
they finna show that piece they showed on sportscenter on nfl live.......or at least i think they are :lol:thanks for the heads up. i wanna see it again. for those who havent seen it, watch the difference of demeanor in how hines talks about him ("alot of wierdness and uncertainty going on") and how sharper and lynch do.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Damn I missed this, hopefully I'll be able to catch it overnight on the reruns of SC. It's kinda good that Tomlin is alittle intimidated by all the trophies won by his predecessors. It just shows that he's humble and not too full of himself to realize the tradition and history that he is now a part of.

He'll have every opportunity to carve his own niche into Steelers history and we as fans expect nothing less than success and he seems focused and ready to deliver.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 08:51 PM
well Hines was still smiling, maybe he is afraid that Tomlin is going to come and take his job away or something, he did set records for touchdown receptions. Hines just does not show a lot of emotion but he is ad professional, i think he will do just fine and will step up and bring quality leadership to the team

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 08:56 PM
john lynch has played for 3 coaches who have won championships- dungy, gruden, and shanahan. when people like him, dungy, and sharper say he's gonna be fine as a coach, i believe them.

i was skeptical of tomlin just cause i was worried about disruption the change may cause with players like faneca, ward, or porter. but as advertised, i was immediately sold, once the media revealed some of his personality. he was everything as advertised by the rooneys and now i expect all the players to hop on board to that train that was on track to winning another sb a year ago. or the players can just wuss out and hand the 42nd lombardi to the patriots or chargers. im confident tomlin wont make it that easy.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 08:59 PM

I can imagine Ward has his doubts, thats understandable. New coach, new offense, new a lot of things, when Ward sees that Tomlin is more then just talk, he'll be fine. The new leaders of the team will step up in due time, once everybody gets comfortable with system, we'll see them stepping up in camp. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
If any player doesn't get behind Tomlin, then I say ship them out. I liked Mike Tomlin from the start. I know for sure he won't things easy for teams like the Colts, Pats and the rest of the teams in the NFL.

tony hipchest
Damn I missed this, hopefully I'll be able to catch it overnight on the reruns of SC. .the best part of the piece is old footage of tomlin catching 3 different td's as a wr in college.

being that he was an offensive guy 1st who was able to learn the tampa 2, he will have no problem learning using, and helping to modify and expand on lebeaus 3-4 zone blitz.

you gotta love michael smith on espn. he guarantees tomlin will win a couple of sb's. "hes destined for greatness".

he predicts he will stay longer than 15 years.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I just hope that Michael smith is not just another loud mouth, know nothing critic

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 09:02 PM
the best part of the piece is old footage of tomlin catching 3 different td's as a wr in college.

being that he was an offensive guy 1st who was able to learn the tampa 2, he will have no problem learning using, and helping to modify and expand on lebeaus 3-4 zone blitz

I agree Tony...We have coach in Mike Tomlin that can match Xs and Os with Belichick now.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I can imagine Ward has his doubts, thats understandable. New coach, new offense, new a lot of things, when Ward sees that Tomlin is more then just talk, he'll be fine. The new leaders of the team will step up in due time, once everybody gets comfortable with system, we'll see them stepping up in camp. :bigthumb:

:iagree:

It's just like when a company is taken over or when your dept at work gets a new supervisor. There is a lot of uncertainty and questions until everyone gets a feel for the new leader and how things will be run. We can't expect these guys to be robots and not have personalities and feelings so it's natural for them to be a bit apprehensive but from all accounts the team is starting to come together from mini camp and as training camp gets closer we'll see these guys learn more and more about what's expected of them and how everybody's role will change and stay the same. Leaders will step up, followers will follow but overall Im looking forward to this season to see what we can do !

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
From what we've seen of Tomlin already, he can talk the talk and so far so good, he can walk the walk. When all the players see that and believe in him and they are the ones who have to see and believe that. One doubt, in anyones mind will effect everybody, but thats where the leaders step in and erase all doubts. The leaders will be the ones who buy into and understand Tomlin's philosophies and will focus on getting rest of the team on the same page. Man, bring on the camps already lol

kgreen
05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
He does not or should not have to take this team to a Super Bowl his first year. Just establish yourself and your philosophies. Like Cowher and Noll did.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
While Im sure the entire Steeler Nation would love nothing more than another Championship in Tomlin's first year, nobody is going to be down on him if it doesn't happen. The Rooney's expect success from Tomlin, that's part of the reason he was brought in, because he's a winner and he's got the right mentality to work with this team and continue the tradition that's been before him but he's also got a lot on his plate with this group there will be growing pains too.

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
how long does he have to win a championship before the Steeler Nation demands him to be fired, like they were Cowher?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Only time will tell I guess. There's no way to tell really, IMO at least. To say that the Steeler Nation is used to success is an understatement but at the same time any true Steeler fan isn't going to call for his head at the first sign of trouble or a losing streak. He's got the talent around him to get the job done but every new coach has growing pains to some degree so it's going to be interesting to see how the team handles them and how he handles them...and just as importantly as how he handles them is how long those growing pains will last.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 09:45 PM
how long does he have to win a championship before the Steeler Nation demands him to be fired, like they were Cowher?

It wasn't the fact Cowher couldn't win the Super Bowl. It was the fact that Cowher was 1-4 in AFC title games before 2005 that pissed some Steelers fans off. Sorry but a 2-4 record in AFC title games is nothing to brag about. True the players played a role in that as well. But Cowher deserves some of that blame to.

Overall I liked Coach Cowher and I think he was a great coach. But it was time for a change and I think Coach Tomlin will lead us to more Super Bowl wins then Cowher did.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
He'll be given plenty of time to win a SB to satisfy not only the fans but the Roony's as well. First things first, we still have a lot of work to do before we even think about making a SB run. Get the OL established and in sync with each other, that will lead us to establish our running game and protecting Bens butt so he can wheel and deal back there. Get the defense back online, back to "jacking" people up and getting the sacks we're accustomed to.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 11:54 PM
on the thing tony was talking about with hines, i do see that he's a little less up beat....... i think he's taking a wait and see approach to this......... he seems like he's afraid of change being so old (for a football player he's getting to the point that he's pretty old lol) and he's afraid that with this change he might not be in future plans, so he might just be sitting back and waiting to see what happens before he actually starts to come around and except the change fully

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I would hope Tomlin has enough sense to know that Hines is a KEY cog in the Steelers offense. Ward has atleast another 4 good years left in him if not 5. He's got his contract and his money so he should be able to retire a Steeler assuming he stays healthy.

Hines being cautious is ok with me, it's a huge change for this team. We can't expect him to be all happy go lucky right off the bat but if anyone will be able to fit in and make things happen it's Hines. He's as important to the Steelers as Ben is, or Willie, or Polamalu IMO.

Koopa
05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
yes he is, he may not be the fastest and ****, but damn his passion for the game makes up for all that, that's why to me, he's the best in the bizz lol, i know i can say that on a steelers site and not get to much ****, but this dude goes all out every play, a lot of these top wr's take the game for granted and slack off, but not hines, he's a ****ing beast all 60 mins on the field...... i'm sure he's in tomlin's plans, but it looks like hines is just being cautious cause of what happened with joey

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah between what happened with Joey, what's happening with Faneca, half the coaching staff gone, he's just being human. For us to expect Hines to give anything less than 100 percent come training camp and game time would be crazy. When push comes to shove he'll be there and he'll be part of the team. I can't wait to see that trademark Hines smile as he's knocking a defender on their *** :greengrin:

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 12:48 AM
on the thing tony was talking about with hines, i do see that he's a little less up beat....... i think he's taking a wait and see approach to this......... he seems like he's afraid of change being so old (for a football player he's getting to the point that he's pretty old lol) and he's afraid that with this change he might not be in future plans, so he might just be sitting back and waiting to see what happens before he actually starts to come around and except the change fullyi agree.

the thing about tomlin is he's a cool cat, and he understands these veterans reaction is natural. theyre a little more than a year removed from a sb champ and theyve had, practically the only staff theyve known as a pro ripped from them. tomlin has come in as the youngster twice (with tampa and with the vikings) so he knows the ropes.

thats why he isnt getting all butthurt and flexing his muscle, threatenning these guys. hes just gonna let it play out and by the end of the season everybody will realize theyre onto something good (and hopefully faneca and ward will take lesser salaries to be part of it).

hes betting on himself, and its obvious he doesnt do that if he thinks hes gonna lose. and if that cowher flame of emotion had dimmed, tomlin poured gasoline on it last week when he declared "im fired up". its time for ward and others to get fired up like ike and ben and willie.

25MVPKing
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
I missed this interview you guys mentioned. I watched Sportscenter last night from 11-12 and NFL Total Access this morning from 8-9. I'll try to catch tonight's Total Access because they're breaking down the AFC North.
:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Just watching it now, thank God for DVR :lol:

I like what Ben said in the interview, "we just gotta win, that's what it comes down to for this team, you and I just gotta win"

Hell yes you do :tt02: , that's what we need, to get back to taking over the AFCN again and making another run in the post season.

I don't see a problem with what Hines was saying or how he was saying it; he's being honest and you can't fault a guy for that. It's a new situation and unchartered waters for our team and for Tomlin so it's going to take time to get everyone on the same page.

I like what Lynch said about his his football IQ being like a guy who'd been in the league for 30 years. Everything that Tomlin's former players & coaches say about him is very positive.

He seems to have the fire & passion of Gruden combined with the quiet confidence and respect of a Tony Dungy. That's a combination I'll take anyday.

okiesteeler
05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Bring on the other Teams, The new Steelers are going to destroy the league this year.

House of Steel
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Just watching it now, thank God for DVR :lol:

I like what Ben said in the interview, "we just gotta win, that's what it comes down to for this team, you and I just gotta win"

Hell yes you do :tt02: , that's what we need, to get back to taking over the AFCN again and making another run in the post season.

I don't see a problem with what Hines was saying or how he was saying it; he's being honest and you can't fault a guy for that. It's a new situation and unchartered waters for our team and for Tomlin so it's going to take time to get everyone on the same page.

I like what Lynch said about his his football IQ being like a guy who'd been in the league for 30 years. Everything that Tomlin's former players & coaches say about him is very positive.

He seems to have the fire & passion of Gruden combined with the quiet confidence and respect of a Tony Dungy. That's a combination I'll take anyday.

You summed that up better than anyone I've heard, Good Job. Yes, he was full of passion when he was the defensive back coach for Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. Guys in Minnesota were very fond of him, but sad he left only after one season and transforming their defense around to be better. I am very excited for the season to begin.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 06:55 PM
There's every chance in the world that this team will show up in September ready to kick *** and take names; and be the success that we're used to seeing and being a part of...

There's also a chance that this new relationship will take some time to cultivate and grow. It's up to Tomlin the coaches to work with the players (and vice versa) and get everything moving in positive direction that we're accustomed to.

Personally Im not ready to accept another mediocre season. I want to win now and get back to the promised land. This team has just the right mix of veterans and youth so the time to strike is now and we have the talent to do it!

House of Steel
05-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I think you speak for everyone here. I want a winning season and the playoffs. I won't accept another 7-9 or 8-8 season. It is time to kick *** here and now.

BlitzburghNation
05-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Great post :clap:

Hopefully that's motivation enough to get us our 6th :crossfingers:

okiesteeler
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
We need to be the first team to win 6, like we were with 4.

House of Steel
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I was thinking about training camp. I am going to go out of my way and say, I think this year is going to bring the biggest crowd to Latrobe ever. A lot of curious fans will want to see up close and personal how Tomlin running the team and the procedures. I sure hope I have this opportunity in July and August to go and witness the new era of Steelers Football. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
That's a good point, Training Camp should be very interesting. Everybody is going to want to see how the team does in camp this year vs previous years, get Tomlin's autograph and meet him, see how he acts on the field and runs his camp, etc.

I definitely want to try and get up for atleast 1 day of camp this year.