PDA

View Full Version : Rookie numbers assigned.....

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 01:00 AM
LB-Lawrence Timmons-#94
LB-Lamarr Woodley-#55?????
TE-Matt Spaeth-#89
P-Daniel Sepulveda-#9
DE-Ryan McBean-#69
OG-Cameron Stephenson-#65
CB-Wiiliam Gay-#22
WR-Dallas Baker-#81
C-Darnell Stapleton-#61
RB-Gary Russell-#33
FB-Aaron Robbins-#46
RB-Paul Mosley-#40
WR-Chris Jackson-#14
WR-Eric Fowler-#82
OT-Jason Capizzi-#67
TE-Cody Boyd-#48
LS-Jared Retkofsky-#64
DL-Derrick Jones-#67
WR-Eric Deslauriers-#13

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 01:05 AM
i figured as big as Capazzi is, that he would have 2 numbers as they would have to put two jerseys together to fit him. i know he is not fat, but he is so tall it still takes a lot of material to cover him, unless he wears a 1/2 jersey

Koopa
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
lol, they didn't waste no time giving that number to someone........

i just seriously hope, ppl don't expect these guys to be porter, porter is in a class of his own....... i think these two guys will be awesome but i hope they are allowed to grow into their own........ i can see fans turning on them by week 4 if they don't have 10 sacks lol

okiesteeler
05-03-2007, 01:08 AM
maybe by giving #55 away so soon, they are hoping to keep teams confused and make them think that Porter is still there.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2007, 01:25 AM
maybe by giving #55 away so soon, they are hoping to keep teams confused and make them think that Porter is still there.

:lol: That would probably work when we play the Brownies and Bungholes. :greengrin: :rofl:

Poonugget
05-03-2007, 01:42 AM
My best guess is that if the team does infact let Okobi go because of numbers and his contract then Woodley would then take the #56 jersey. If you are going to get a jersey I would do so with caution because after cuts are made the players might select a different jersey. If you remember Porter had #95 to start off his career and then by training camp switched to #55.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
why would they cut our best center on the roster???

Poonugget
05-03-2007, 01:55 AM
A lot of people feel that Mahan will prove to be the best center on the roster. We have about 4 or 5 centers on the roster right now and unless Okobi outplays them to be the starter then with his high cap number he could be cut.

Koopa
05-03-2007, 01:58 AM
well from tampa fans, mahan was best at guard, i think he's gonna suck at center, and chukwun will make everyone forget about him minimal cap hit

Poonugget
05-03-2007, 03:30 AM
I really hope you're right because I like Okobi. I have heard that Mahan is better at center rather then gaurd though.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:04 AM
WR-Dallas Baker-#81 - oh no it's the Troy Edwards curse :lol:

As far as giving out Porters number, that's a slap in the face if you ask me ! I know we never retire jersey numbers and we only have so many numbers available for linebackers as it is but damn that's just not right IMO.

Mahan was brought in to play center, he was told that in his interviews and he mentioned it in his press conferences. It's a plus that he can play guard for us too since we always like those versatile type of players when we're looking for lineman but when it comes right down to it Mahan will be the center on this team. Okobi is the likely odd man out right now because his high cap number and lets face it, why would you bring in a guy to primarlily play center and give him all that money if you expect him to be a backup. Simmons & Kemoeatu will fight it out at guard, Simmons will stay on the team because he can play Center & Guard so his versatility will again win out, as opposed to Okobi who can really only play center.

steelcurtaingal
05-03-2007, 08:03 AM

As far as giving out Porters number, that's a slap in the face if you ask me ! I know we never retire jersey numbers and we only have so many numbers available for linebackers as it is but damn that's just not right IMO.

Mahan was brought in to play center, he was told that in his interviews and he mentioned it in his press conferences. It's a plus that he can play guard for us too since we always like those versatile type of players when we're looking for lineman but when it comes right down to it Mahan will be the center on this team. Okobi is the likely odd man out right now because his high cap number and lets face it, why would you bring in a guy to primarlily play center and give him all that money if you expect him to be a backup. Simmons & Kemoeatu will fight it out at guard, Simmons will stay on the team because he can play Center & Guard so his versatility will again win out, as opposed to Okobi who can really only play center.

ah, the loyalty to porter. many teams wish they had taht kind of fan loyalty to a player. but its a number. its not meant to be offensive, its just their way of saying, lets move on past this. and i for one cant blame them. Porter was a great player, but he is not with us anymore, so lets dust off our feet and move on IMO.

Friday133
05-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't know why everyone is fired up about these numbers being given out. They most likely will change once the regular season starts. And i could give a rats *** about giving #55 out. He's no HOFmer or anything. They gave out Lloyds jersey after he left too.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
There is no player loyalty any more in sports at all, nor is there team loyalty to any degree that it was once before. Sure Porter may not be a HOF player but that doesn't discount what he's done for us and what he meant to us.

Yes most of those numbers will most likely change depending on who is kept and who is let go so it's not like anything is set in stone...I just prefer that Porter's jersey not be handed out so soon same as I was upset when Lloyd's number was handed out again soon after he was gone, but that's my opinion on it and my reason to gripe because Im still a big Joey supporter :greengrin:

Im certainly not niave enough to think they'd never hand it out again, nor that they wouldn't issue it the following year after he's gone, it's just how sports is today and how the previous teams employer feels about the player.

ARKIESTEEL
05-03-2007, 10:06 AM

Might be to put water under the bridge

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok, but they have given out Rod Woodson's number. I'm sorry but when you list alltime great Steelers, Rod Is God would be ahead of Joey Porter on that list. Its just a number so no big deal in my mind.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 12:33 PM
lol, they didn't waste no time giving that number to someone........

i just seriously hope, ppl don't expect these guys to be porter, porter is in a class of his own....... i think these two guys will be awesome but i hope they are allowed to grow into their own........ i can see fans turning on them by week 4 if they don't have 10 sacks lol

I agree Koopa I don't want Lawrence Timmons or LaMar Woodley to be the next Joey Porter. I want Timmons and Woodley to be their own type of player. Plus you can't compare Timmons with the tradtional OLBs in our 3-4 defense since most of the time we turn former DE in college to OLB. With Timmons, he is more of true OLB with different skills then Joey Porter.

I'll make a bet right now if Timmons doesn't have a sack by mid-season I know for sure some Steelers fans will say it was a bad pick. Some Steelers fans have already said Timmons is the next Alonzo Jackson.lol Again you can't compare the two since Jackson was a DE turned OLB.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
He better not turn out like Zo Jackson or Tomlin's first draft choice is going to go down in history as a bomb :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 01:12 PM
He better not turn out like Zo Jackson or Tomlin's first draft choice is going to go down in history as a bomb :lol:

Oh, Timmons won't be the next Zo Jackson. I don't think anybody can be that bad.lol Talk about wasting a 2nd round pick.:lol:

K Train
05-03-2007, 05:04 PM
mahan is a WAY better guard from what i hear, my friend said it was more like having 4 lineman when he was at center.

lol porter didnt want to be compared to lloyd so he demanded a new number, its not like he has to fill porters shoes immediately now...its just a number.

I know that im gonna have to go pick up a #9 jersey though lol

K Train
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
OT-Jason Capizzi-#67

DL-Derrick Jones-#67

OH NO!!!! they gave out Kimos number.....

TWICE! :lol:

Blitzburgh55
05-03-2007, 05:14 PM
People put way too much into numbers 55 is a number its all about the name on the back

25MVPKing
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
K Train, Good catch!

Stlrs4Life
05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
As long as they never give out #58, I don't care! LOL!

PsychoWard
05-03-2007, 05:27 PM

lmao :hilarious: :hilarious:

Koopa
05-03-2007, 05:40 PM

actually, he was brought in for his versatility, chukwun is the one that was the starting center at our mini camps we just had........ they just told him that was the job he had the best chance of being a starter at pretty much, but he won't win it, coming from ppl that actually watched him play say he sucks as a center, and i believe them, he'll be better off playing guard........ i can't wait till chukwun proves all you doubters wrong...... and **** a cap hit, y'all act like it's so much, if it was a lot, he would've been cut or asked to take a pay cut by now, i seriously doubt that's a problem to the steelers.......

There is no player loyalty any more in sports at all, nor is there team loyalty to any degree that it was once before. Sure Porter may not be a HOF player but that doesn't discount what he's done for us and what he meant to us.

Yes most of those numbers will most likely change depending on who is kept and who is let go so it's not like anything is set in stone...I just prefer that Porter's jersey not be handed out so soon same as I was upset when Lloyd's number was handed out again soon after he was gone, but that's my opinion on it and my reason to gripe because Im still a big Joey supporter :greengrin:

Im certainly not niave enough to think they'd never hand it out again, nor that they wouldn't issue it the following year after he's gone, it's just how sports is today and how the previous teams employer feels about the player.

**** loyalty, where was porters when he singed with an afc team?? he should have signed with an nfc team if he had any loyalty :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
mahan is a WAY better guard from what i hear, my friend said it was more like having 4 lineman when he was at center.

lol porter didnt want to be compared to lloyd so he demanded a new number, its not like he has to fill porters shoes immediately now...its just a number.

I know that im gonna have to go pick up a #9 jersey though lol

I think the Coaches and Front office might disagree with you on that whole Guard thing with Mahan; from all the interviews and talk when he was brought in it was to play Center for us so don't be surprised to see Mahan at Center, Okobi gone, and Simmons or Kemoeatu at RG with Philip being the primary backup to Mahan. I can't wait for training camp :cope:

TEEMONT
05-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I hope Woodley keeps 55, that way I can change the name on the back of my authentic jersey. I will only need 5 letters

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
well he's an idiot he drafted a te :lol:

lol It wasn't Tomlin's pick. He was taking a **** when that pick was made. All the blame goes to Colbert and Ariens for that pick.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
all Okobi vs Mahan chat is now in this new thread at Koopa's request :lol:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6301

tony hipchest
05-03-2007, 07:38 PM

Im certainly not niave enough to think they'd never hand it out again, nor that they wouldn't issue it the following year after he's gone, it's just how sports is today and how the previous teams employer feels about the player.i hear what youre saying, but we now have 89 players and theres only 99 numbers between 0 and 100. we cant give timmons numbers such as 01 or 70-something, as per league rules. timmons got one of the few numbers available for his position. theres no psychology or dis behind it.

DIESELMAN
05-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Its not a typo.....:rofl:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2007, 06:09 AM
It's a conspiracy that Tomlin is working on to confuse the opposition into thinking we don't know how to count :lol:

steelcurtaingal
05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Might be to put water under the bridge

:yesnod: good point