PDA

View Full Version : Pick your starting defense

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
So now that the draft is here and done, who do you want to see be the starting 11 on defense :redcool:

Defensive Line:

Keisel
Hampton
Aaron Smith

Linebackers:

Harrison
Farrior
Foote
Timmons

Defensive Backs:

Taylor
Polamalu
Anthony Smith
McFadden

I like how Lebeau and Tomlin have talked about using rotation more this year and keeping the starters fresh, it's going to allow everyone the chance to play and contribute.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I still think Haggans will be a starter. So thats the only spot I would change from yours Top. But I do expect to see both Timmons and Woodley in games and spelling Haggans/Harrison at times. Plus I think we will see both in sub packages....especially on 3rd down.

Now it would be great if Timmons or both Timmons/Woodley learn the defense quick and just dominate from the jump. But I'm taking it slow with both since they're rookies.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I think Haggans will be the starter going into the season but Im hoping as time goes on this year that Timmons really steps up to the plate and takes over that role from him. No matter what these young guys are going to push everyone else for time and that's always good.

BlackGold4vr
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I still think Haggans will be a starter. So thats the only spot I would change from yours Top. But I do expect to see both Timmons and Woodley in games and spelling Haggans/Harrison at times. Plus I think we will see both in sub packages....especially on 3rd down.

Now it would be great if Timmons or both Timmons/Woodley learn the defense quick and just dominate from the jump. But I'm taking it slow with both since they're rookies.

Once those rookies start playing it won't be long before they play themselves into the starting lineup. I think Harrison will keep his job if he can stay healthy but I believe Haggans days as starter are already on a countdown. The more playing time the rooks get and the more big plays they involve themselves in eventually they will make it hard for Tomlin to take them out of the game. Cowher is gone and the new rigime is going to play whoever makes the team the best it can be. IMO

K Train
05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
i think timmons has a good chance of punking haggans out of his spot if he comes into training camp ready to go

introyitrust
05-01-2007, 04:27 PM

I agree. Although neither rookie may start on opening day. They will see plenty of field time and they will contribute as much as any of our other LBs.

Damn I am getting excited about our defense this year. With all the versatility, playmakers, Tomlin's mindset, and with Lebeau at the controls we should be a force!

K Train
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
NT...Chris Hoke
DE-Ryan Mcbeam
DE-Clint Kriedwalt

CB-Ricardo Cocface
CB-Chidi Iwuoma
SS-Mike Logan
FS-Casey Hampton

OLB- Daniel Sepulveda
OLB- Dick Lebeau (makes the transition from DB)
MLB- Jeff reed
MLB- Lee Mays

kgreen
05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Defensive Line:

Keisel
Hampton
Aaron Smith

Linebackers:

Harrison/Woodley
Farrior
Foote
Haggans/Timmons

Defensive Backs:

Taylor
Polamalu
Anthony Smith
McFadden

I think Haggans has another good year in him. I think they will sub in Woodley and Timmons.

BlitzburghNation
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
NT...Chris Hoke
DE-Ryan Mcbeam
DE-Clint Kriedwalt

CB-Ricardo Cocface
CB-Chidi Iwuoma
SS-Mike Logan
FS-Casey Hampton

OLB- Daniel Sepulveda
MLB- Jeff reed
MLB- Lee Mays

"WOW",,,,,,,,,what a lineup :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree more with TG's lineup though :popcorn:

K Train
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
cant go wrong with big casey at FS and D-sep at OLB lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Im surprised you didn't put yourself in there somewhere :bluelol:

WeRideinCOx5
05-02-2007, 11:41 AM
NT...Chris Hoke
DE-Ryan Mcbeam
DE-Clint Kriedwalt

CB-Ricardo Cocface
CB-Chidi Iwuoma
SS-Mike Logan
FS-Casey Hampton

OLB- Daniel Sepulveda
MLB- Jeff reed
MLB- Lee Mays

Gotta love it!! He prolly could fill this spot the way he tackles. J/K. He's not your average punter, though.

steelcurtaingal
05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Im surprised you didn't put yourself in there somewhere :bluelol:

now that you said that, he will prob just be a one man defense team on his own.:bluelol:

BlackGold4vr
05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
So now that the draft is here and done, who do you want to see be the starting 11 on defense :redcool:

Defensive Line:

Keisel
Hampton
Aaron Smith

Linebackers:

Harrison
Farrior
Foote
Timmons

Defensive Backs:

Taylor
Polamalu
Anthony Smith
McFadden

I like how Lebeau and Tomlin have talked about using rotation more this year and keeping the starters fresh, it's going to allow everyone the chance to play and contribute.

I like your line-up Top, that's what I would have gone with as well. I noticed that you boldened the operative word "want" because I don't think its realisticly going to go down that way. Haggan's is set to make 4.1 mil this year with his roster bonus and that makes him hard to sit. Also it's not a certainty that Anthony Smith beats out Ryan Clark at FS. I would like to see Anthony Smith win the starting job but it's not a done deal and Ryan Clark did a decent job there IMO. The good thing is that we now have depth at almost every position with quality players. If Tomlin is going to employ some kind of rotational system to keep fresh players on the field that could only make us better. Bring on the season because I can't wait to see the Steeler defense start "jacking people up" ! :hilarious:

okiesteeler
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I have to agree with your selections Top. I would like to see Woodley in there, but with Tomlin wanting to rotate players, he will get his playing time.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I like your line-up Top, that's what I would have gone with as well. I noticed that you boldened the operative word "want" because I don't think its realisticly going to go down that way. Haggan's is set to make 4.1 mil this year with his roster bonus and that makes him hard to sit. Also it's not a certainty that Anthony Smith beats out Ryan Clark at FS. I would like to see Anthony Smith win the starting job but it's not a done deal and Ryan Clark did a decent job there IMO. The good thing is that we now have depth at almost every position with quality players. If Tomlin is going to employ some kind of rotational system to keep fresh players on the field that could only make us better. Bring on the season because I can't wait to see the Steeler defense start "jacking people up" ! :hilarious:

Well I would agree that Ryan Clark has a shot for the FS spot. But he doesn't have the ballhawk skills that Anthony Smith showed last year in his rookie season. They both can hit but Smith is a ballhawk and thats why I think he will start unless Clark has a great camp and Smith struggles during camp. Anyway the Steelers have great safety depth since Clark or Smith will be the number 3 safety and we still have Tyrone Carter as the fourth safety.:bigthumb:

As for the Steelers defense jacking people up. Oh hell yea, Smith,Harrison and Timmons will be jacking people up for sure.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah that's why I made sure that the "want" was clear because that would be who I want but I certainly realize that Haggans will most likely be the incumbent due to his experience and will get the start at the beginning of the year but I do hope that Timmons & Woodley can get some significant playing time as well. I think it's really a toss up between Ryan and Anthony with Ryan having the slight edge because of his experience. The X factor is what 32 mentioned, about his ballhawking skills and his nose for the football. If he can improve on what he did last year he'll either get the start this year or else he'll be starting by the midway point of the season :crossfingers:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah that's why I made sure that the "want" was clear because that would be who I want but I certainly realize that Haggans will most likely be the incumbent due to his experience and will get the start at the beginning of the year but I do hope that Timmons & Woodley can get some significant playing time as well. I think it's really a toss up between Ryan and Anthony with Ryan having the slight edge because of his experience. The X factor is what 32 mentioned, about his ballhawking skills and his nose for the football. If he can improve on what he did last year he'll either get the start this year or else he'll be starting by the midway point of the season :crossfingers:

Well the good thing is Top, even if Haggans starts. We will see Timmons and Woodley on the field since Tomlin, wants give Harrison/Haggans a breather during games. So no matter what we will see these young LBs on field no matter what.

I want James Harrison to start no matter what. But it would be great if Timmons and Woodley can show enough by mid-season if they're ready to start. The sooner Clark Haggans is out of the lineup the better the defense will be in my opinion. Overall I though Clark Haggans is a good player but he doesn't make enough game changing plays for an OLB in a 3-4 defense.

K Train
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
i like haggans, and 2 years ago he was a solid OLB, i think his days are numbered....but if he came out and proved me wrong good for him....maybe the youth will push him to perform at a high level

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
i like haggans, and 2 years ago he was a solid OLB, i think his days are numbered....but if he came out and proved me wrong good for him....maybe the youth will push him to perform at a high level

Yes I think Clark Haggans was a solid player best suited for a backup role as his 6.5 sacks during the 2002 season indicated when he was backup player. The problem was after Jason Gildon slowed down there was no young stud to take his place and that forced Clark Haggans to the starters role. Which he was good but not great. We all know OLBs in a 3-4 have to be great and make game changing plays. For the most part Clark didn't do that.

To follow up on your point Ktrain about the young OLBs. I think no matter what these youngs guys will both help Haggans/Harrison this year. They will keep both Haggans/Harrison fresher during games which is nothing but a plus in my mind.:tt02:

Poonugget
05-03-2007, 01:49 AM
I believe Tomlin and Lebaeu are going to move the 2 rookie LB's around a lot. They have already talked about how both players will see time at OLB as well as ILB.

Defensive Line

Smith
Hampton
Keisel

Linebackers

Haggans
Foote
Farrior
Harrison

Defensive Backs

Taylor
Polo
Smith
McFadden

On 3rd downs and throughout the games on passing situations I would expect to see Timmons and Woodley brought into the game to get after the QB. I would also not be surprised to see Timmons and Woodley used more and more toward the end of the season especially if a LB gets hurt. However to start of the year I think it is unrealistic to expect Timmons or Woodley to pick up the 3-4 defense and start.

3rd down defense

D-Line

Woodley
Smith
Hampton
Keisel

LB's

Timmons
Foote
Farrior

DB's

Taylor
Polo
Smith
McFadden

I am sure the D will change depending on the situation but in a base 4-3 on 3rd down that is what I think the defense would look like. It will really be a fun year to watch this defense though because of the versatility that Timmons and Woodley bring to the table. Also don't sleep on McBean because he has the ability to play DE in the 3-4 and DT in the 4-3.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-03-2007, 09:50 AM
3-4

DL:
Diesel
Big Hamp
Smith

LB:

TIMMONS/Haggans
Farrior
Foote
Silverback/Woodley

DB's
Ike/Townsend
A-Smith
Troy
McFadden/Townsend

I think no matter who starts at OLB you're gonna see alot of rotation, which is good cause except Woodley all these guys can cover and rush.

3rd Down/ Situational-Zone Blitz:

DL/LB's

Timmons/Harrison/Woodley/Haggans
Diesel/McBean
Casey
Smith/McBean
Woodley/Harrison/Timmons

LB's:
Farrior
Foote

DB's:
Ike
A-smith
Troy
McFadden

This is where the can get creative Line up in 4-3 b4 the snap then move back to our normal 3rd down Form. where the OLB's line up at rush end, or vise-versa<-(spell check) Either way i think our D can be VASTLY improved!!!

ARKIESTEEL
05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I think we should put Ben and Batch in at OLB

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
3-4

DL:
Diesel
Big Hamp
Smith

LB:

TIMMONS/Haggans
Farrior
Foote
Silverback/Woodley

DB's
Ike/Townsend
A-Smith
Troy
McFadden/Townsend

I think no matter who starts at OLB you're gonna see alot of rotation, which is good cause except Woodley all these guys can cover and rush.

3rd Down/ Situational-Zone Blitz:

DL/LB's

Timmons/Harrison/Woodley/Haggans
Diesel/McBean
Casey
Smith/McBean
Woodley/Harrison/Timmons

LB's:
Farrior
Foote

DB's:
Ike
A-smith
Troy
McFadden

This is where the can get creative Line up in 4-3 b4 the snap then move back to our normal 3rd down Form. where the OLB's line up at rush end, or vise-versa<-(spell check) Either way i think our D can be VASTLY improved!!!

Oh, you're so right about Tomlin/LeBeau getting creative with these new young OLBs. I bet right now Tomlin/LeBeau are coming up with ways to use these guys. Let the chess match begin.:bigthumb: