PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if Cavlin Johnson is disappointed....

TampaSteelGirl
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I wondered if he was disappointed to be drafted by the Lions...has anyone heard?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
He seemed pretty upbeat and excited in his interview on NFL and front Ive read so far, of course that just might be the dollar signs talking :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I wondered if he was disappointed to be drafted by the Lions...has anyone heard?

Well I'm sure he is excited since he will have millions of dollars now but then he is like **** I got drafted by the ****ing Lions.:lol: So I'm sure its kind of bitter sweet.lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Atleast he'll get to play in a new stadium...although since he's got this all star cast to throw him the ball how could he not be excited ? :lol:

Stanton, Drew
Kitna, Jon
Orlovsky, Dan

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Atleast he'll get to play in a new stadium...although since he's got this all star cast to throw him the ball how could he not be excited ? :lol:

Stanton, Drew
Kitna, Jon
Orlovsky, Dan

Hey Jon Kitna had some good years.lol So why wouldn't any young WRs be nothing but excited catching the pigskin from the great Jon Kitna?:lol: Ok, back to being serious but I like Drew Stanton. I watch alot of Big 10 football and his WRs didn't help him out at all. Now I'm not saying Stanton, is going to be the next Bobby Layne for the Detroit Lions. But the kid has some upside/talent. With Mad Mike and his track record of developing QBs you just never know. Then we comeback to the fact its the ****ing Detroit Lions.lol Ok I'm just retarded and I'm going to leave it at that.lol

25MVPKing
05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Something tells me he's not as happy as Anthony Gonzalez (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070430/SPORTS03/704300361).

Then again, who would be happy with the Lions?

Barry Sanders is in the HOF and how many playoff games did he win?

I feel bad for Calvin Johnson....

spent
05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
ummm...yes he was.........he wanted to play in Ray-Jay and be by me! ROFL

SteelerSal
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Stanton, Drew
Kitna, Jon
Orlovsky, Dan

I think the Lions are gonna be competitive this season.
I also think that Stanton was the best QB coming out of this draft. If the O-Line plays better and Stanton starts, they are gonna have a heck of an offense.IMO

Ambridge
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Stanton, Drew
Kitna, Jon
Orlovsky, Dan

The Lions are closing in on being the Biggest Baffoons in the NFL since the "Glory Days" of the old Cincy Bungles.

I guess no one has clued them in that you get the Franchise QB before you get the Franchise WR.
Once they let Blowy Harrington leave town a Franchise QB should have been number one on the Lions player radar but instead the "Deadly Triple "M" Trio" of Marinelli, Millen and Martz have some how have been delusioned with the likes of a half-assed/never was QB in Jon Kitna to lead Detroit into the future.

Prediction: The Lions will suck once again!!

okiesteeler
05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
if the lions can get a decent QB, with their receiving core and jones running the ball, they could be a contender in their weak division and weak conference, but would not be able to beat any AFC team, especially in the Superbowl, if they should some how be able to stumble that far.

BlitzburghNation
05-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd say he's very happy :popcorn:

Bigggest reason of all,he didn't fall to the brown stains :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelerSteve
05-02-2007, 12:47 AM
he should be happy hes in the NFL!! though hes on a ****** team he is still making the big bucks! As for the lions being contenders, well only time will tell. I guess I could see them maybe compete for the third spot in their division. :yesnod:

Steelerlyn
05-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Calvin Johnson's career can well be over. That is because I have seen some great players on the college level never make it in the NFL because they were drafted by the Lions. I always thought when one was "rebuilding" they started at the O-line, not the Lions. No matter how good a quarterback is (I will use Charlie Batch as an example), if they have no protection, they will not be able to throw the ball to the WR, more recently, Mike Williams or Charles Rogers. Batch was drafted by the Detroit Lions (over Brian Griese) in the second round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He was the Lions' starter through most of the 1998-2001 seasons, he became "injured" and played most of his Lion's career out in a horizonal position on the football field because he never had an O-line. He just never impressed me so when the Steelers took him I thought, "no, no, please no." However, much to my surprise and because the Steelers had/have an OL, Batch was a completely different player.
The "best player available" approach has pretty much done nada for the Lions. Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams were all "best player available" picks, not picks that address the greatest areas of need for the team. Calvin Johnson is the same thing, he might be an all world talent but it is not what this team needs so Calvin Johnson may go no where, he may end up the same as way too many others, even giving up his career to get away from the Lions like Barry Sanders did.
Any GOOD GM will tell you that if you don't have a good O-line all the talent at the skilled positions is going to be worthless. Millen has shown time and time again he is in love with the skilled players and ignores the line and he, of all people, should know how vital an O line is.
I'm not saying Johnson will be a bust. For all I know he might turn out to be the best WR in NFL history.

But if there's one thing the NFL has taught us, it doesn't matter how talented in college or how impressive the numbers at the combine, once a player gets into a game at that level all bets are off until he proves himself.
I can clearly remember when the Lions organization was saying Charles Rogers would be the next Randy Moss. You can toss Mike Williams in the same discussion.
Johnson will be a very good player - even the Lions can't ruin him. The question people should be asking themselves, though - is how is another WR going to help this team win more than 4-5 games next year? The Lions can only get incrementally better at that position - they already had a very talented player in Roy Williams, who is a borderline Top 10 WR in the league, and another guy who led the conference in receptions. How many times can a third WR touch the ball? Can those extra 4-5 touches per game turn you into a playoff team? Just not a good fit. IMO.

NFL history has shown us that the way to build a successful franchise is to use your top picks on WRs every year. Good job, Millen

DIESELMAN
05-02-2007, 04:48 AM
If a player is really talented, then it shouldn't matter where he goes. Granted hes a WR and someone else still has to get him the ball. Once he does get the ball, he can make things happen. When things start to happen for the good, then it pumps up the rest of the team. Even teams with mediocre talent have risen to become good teams, all it takes is that one spark to set it off. Once a team of losers and wannabees start believing in themselves, anything is possible. I'm not saying the Lions will be great or even good this year but if Calvin gets in there and continues his college career in the NFL, then the Lions do have a shot of being more competitive then last season.

okiesteeler
05-02-2007, 04:50 AM
If a player is really talented, then it shouldn't matter where he goes. Granted hes a WR and someone else still has to get him the ball. Once he does get the ball, he can make things happen. When things start to happen for the good, then it pumps up the rest of the team. Even teams with mediocre talent have risen to become good teams, all it takes is that one spark to set it off. Once a team of losers and wannabees start believing in themselves, anything is possible. I'm not saying the Lions will be great or even good this year but if Calvin gets in there and continues his college career in the NFL, then the Lions do have a shot of being more competitive then last season.

That does not take much

Steelerlyn
05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
That does not take much

LOL I think they won 3-4 games so you are right anything would be an improvement and that just may be CJ.......if he gets the ball.

25MVPKing
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Steelerlyn is completely right. You can't do squat without an offensive line.

I mentioned Barry Sanders before and really he's a great example. He was good enough to be a HOFer without a good O-line. But because his O-line sucked, the QB never had a chance to throw the ball successfully.

The Lions won 1 playoff in 10 years with Barry Sanders. How many playoff games did Jerome Bettis win?

Steelerlyn
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM

I mentioned Barry Sanders before and really he's a great example. He was good enough to be a HOFer without a good O-line. But because his O-line sucked, the QB never had a chance to throw the ball successfully.

The Lions won 1 playoff in 10 years with Barry Sanders. How many playoff games did Jerome Bettis win?

and that playoff game was their first playoff win since 1957 or so maybe 1951 In the 50's the Lions won what today would be the Superbowl, but we didn't have a superbowl then.

steelcurtaingal
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM

you are right. that is the problem t he browns have. it would not matter if peyton manning was their qb, the would still lose with their o-line. CJ is a good player, but on a bad team.

okiesteeler
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
They ought to have a LoserBowl to determine number 1 pick. The team that wins the game (played by the team in each conference with the worst record) gets #1

SteelerFan87
05-02-2007, 09:43 PM
No no no, I think this is a great move. Johnson is a special player. He's not just "a franchise WR", they already had one of those in Roy Williams. But with Johnson, they have one of the best young WR tandems in the NFL. And even without Johnson, Kitna threw for 4000 yards. Johnson will have an excellent year. Whether the Lions do... well, they still need an O-line and a defense, but they will be a better team this year.