PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign 11 free agents...

BB2W
04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Monday, April 30, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed 11 rookie free agents, including two running backs, a fullback and three wide receivers and a player from IUP.

Minnesota's Gary Russell heads the list of backs that includes Baylor's Paul Mosley and fullback Gijon Robinson of Missouri Western State.

IUP's 6-9, 315-pound left tackle Jason Capizzi joined guard-center Darnell Stapleton as rookie offensive linemen signed after the draft.

Three rookie wide receivers -- Eric Deslauriers of Eastern Michigan, Eric Fowler of Grand Valley State and Chris Jackson of Millsaps -- were added as was tight end Cody Boyd of Washington State. Defensive lineman Derrick Jones of Grand Valley State and long snapper Jared Retkofsky of TCU round out the list of free agent rookies who came to terms with the Steelers after the draft.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07120/782226-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Well we should definitely find some good RB depth from that group plus who we already have signed. Most of these players don't usually make the team, a few will make the PS, but occasionally you'll find a gem like Willie Parker, in the midst of all the Rookie FA's.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Gary Russell was a badass at onetime. Plus Minnesota has a good track record of sending RB's to the NFL lately. I think Marion Barber III and Maroney prove that. I just hope Russell shows something and makes the team as a backup. I'm not expecting much but he did have a bright future at onetime.

SteelersWoman
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow--BOTH RBs sound like they could be real difference makers....

http://www.baylor.edu/Lariat/news.php?action=story&story=41656

By WILL PARCHMAN http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7392/33535ur6.jpg
Sports writer

It's no secret that behind every good passing game is an effective rushing attack. Running back Paul Mosley has provided the Bears with some legitimate muscle at the position.
Mosley, a 235-pound senior from Austin, will share the starting running back position with junior speedster Brandon Whitaker, and Mosley is the hammer of the duo. The two split time at running back last season, and the move paid dividends in the form of more rushing lanes for both backs and more room to pass for Bell.
The offensive line is a variable in the equation, but even if the big guys up front aren't at their best, Mosley will still grind out positive yardage and inevitably fall forward. His seven touchdowns in 2005 attest to his ability to bulldoze defenders in the end zone, which was a quality the Baylor offense lacked for many years.
Mosley has never missed a game due to injury in his Baylor career, playing in 34 games over his first three seasons. Reliability is a chief concern among coaches when running backs are the topic, and Mosley has this quality in spades. Even in an offense that stresses the pass, Mosley is a constant threat to pound out those few necessary yards.
Mosley rushed 21 times for 64 yards and a touchdown and also caught two passes for 15 yards in a 23-13 win over Iowa State
Rushed 22 times for 133 yards in Baylor's 16-13 overtime loss to Texas A&M.
He has shown some explosiveness this season, running for over five yards 23 times this season and going over 10 yards 11 times.
Mosely played in just one series, gaining 24 yards on four chances.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20060712-1228-fbc-minnesota-russell.html
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/459/269267eq4.jpg

Russell ran for 1,130 yards on 186 carries with 19 touchdowns as a sophomore.
Russell rushed 164 times for 1,045 yards (6.4 yards per carry) and 18 rushing touchdowns in 2005.

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Here is a link that breaks down all the steelers picks plus talks about all of the 11 undrafted free agents.

http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/04/30/07/2007_Final_Draft_Release_76088.doc

I will also post this as a seperate topic, to make it easier to find

BB2W
04-30-2007, 08:38 PM
I just heard on the NFLN that there are 12 UDFA's in the Hall of Fame...

BB2W
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
The NFLN is doing the All-UDFA Team (current players) and Willie was the runningback... :redcool:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I just heard on the NFLN that there are 12 UDFA's in the Hall of Fame...

I think Donnie Shell was undrafted as well and he is third alltime on the Steelers career INT list. He should be in the Hall as well.

House of Steel
04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
This sounds very exciting. This makes up for the draft and all the question marks. I say we had a excellent draft. I give it a B+ now. I can't wait to get this season started. I am sure all of you are anxious too.

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm hoping for RB depth also and hopefully Capizzi can show something as well.

Koopa
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
gary russell

Strengths:
Good size and bulk...A natural runner with great vision, patience and instincts...Is more quick than fast and has a burst...Runs hard and doesn't go down easily...He knows how to get in the endzone...Was very productive...Does not have a lot of mileage on his tires..Can return kicks and help on special teams...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is well below average...His intelligence and work ethic are question marks...Is not very strong...Limited as a receiver...Has not played in a year...He never carried the load in college...Overweight and out of shape at the Combine.

Notes:
Backed up Laurence Maroney in 2005 and was set for a breakout season as the Gophers feature back in 2006 until he was forced to leave school due to his poor academics...Opted to go pro instead of getting his grades in order and applying for reinstatement...Was on pace to be a Day One pick and follow in the footsteps of Marion Barber and Maroney until he was sidetracked...Good player who could be a steal if he gets his head on straight...Terrific fit for a zone blocking scheme.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I watched Gary Russell alot in college and I liked the guy. But his acedemic troubles and being out of football for yea are big question marks. But the guy produced in the Big 10 and its worth a shot to bring him in.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Perhaps that year of being has done him some good and given him time to get his act together.... we shall see :redcool:

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm hoping for RB depth also and hopefully Capizzi can show something as well.

Thats the guy im excited about, a UDFA RB is gonna take time to develope (like Parker did) But if you look at our O-line situation, and Max Starxx only having 1 year left, Capizzi could end up being a Diamond in the rough. He's bigger than Max who's only good quality is, well his size, so i've pretty much already penciled Capizzi on the 53-man roster!!!!

ARKIESTEEL
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Dont alot of these guy end up as meat for practice???

Prosdo
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Most of the time, but sometime you can find a gem.

DIESELMAN
05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
FB Gijon Robinson has been replaced by DE Aaron Robbins of Wyoming.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Yeah they do, but look at a few players on the steelers roster right now were undrafted and have made contributions when guys like omar jacobs and most of our other 5-7 round draft picks last year never saw the field or made the team. Not saying all these guys will make the team bit i think at 6'9 and the lackluster season Max had last year puts this guy in a good position...

steelcurtaingal
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM

they normally do, but you can get a really good one like prosdo said every once in a while.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
The Undrafted free agents will be swapped in and out all off season and camp till we find the ones that will be able to potentially help us the most.

SteelerSteve
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Im excited about the 6'9 lineman, he just sounds like a beast!:tt02:

K Train
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
no he really doesnt, he sounds like a scrub and a failure of massive proportions....there is a reason he went undrafted, i hope he can turn out to be something special but dont hold your breath

Koopa
05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
all 11 of these guys will be cut, if a 6'9 lineman can't even draw 7th round consideration, then he's just a bum and will go through life just a big *** dude

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Most times those HUGE lineman are heavy on their feet which is a big reason why they don't get drafted; because they are too easily beat by a speed rusher. Obviously there are exceptions to that rule but overall being that big can be more of a hindrance in most cases.

SteelerSteve
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
well I guess we will find out, hope he does, you guys probably know more about him than me, with some good coaching he may develop. I guess I just believe in giving guys a chance.:2cents:

MillerTime83
05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
all 11 of these guys will be cut, if a 6'9 lineman can't even draw 7th round consideration, then he's just a bum and will go through life just a big *** dude

I dont think all 11 will be cut. I think one of the two backs will do enough to earn a spot. I look for Mosley to turn a couple of heads and earn a spot. It all depends on how hard they work out.

Koopa
05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
i don't think one of the backs will make it, kuhn will probably be the one that makes it, or haynes..........

steelcitysfinestXL
05-03-2007, 09:57 AM
with some good coaching he may develop. :

Thats what i said about Starx, they said when we drafted him that he was a bit raw with his mechanics and with his size / sometimes lazy pass blocking he may not be able to adjust. So i dont see why this guy shouldnt be given a chance, we given Max his shot!

SteelersWoman
05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
If nothing else, he could be good for clogging up a lane or two!