PDA

View Full Version : Jerramy Stevens is a Buc

K Train
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Buccaneers.com

After a draft devoted almost solely to defense, the Bucs gave their offense a boost, too: Sixth-year tight end Jerramy Stevens, a former Seahawk with outstanding receiving skills

Something for the Offense: TE Stevens

Former Seahawks TE Jerramy Stevens, who averaged 38 receptions from 2003-05, signed with the Buccaneers as a free agent during the draft on Sunday Jerramy Stevens grew up in the state of Washington, stayed near home to play for the Washington Huskies and was drafted into the pro ranks by the closest NFL team, the Seattle Seahawks.

Upon hitting free agency for the first time, however, Stevens has chosen to leap all the way across the nation. The explosive sixth-year tight end is the newest Buccaneer, having signed as an unrestricted free agent with Tampa Bay on Sunday. The Bucs released that news shortly after the conclusion of the 2007 NFL Draft, in which the team used most of its picks on defense.

Stevens, a first-round pick himself in 2002, became an unrestricted free agent on March 2. He and second-round guard Arron Sears were the most notable draft-weekend additions to the Bucs’ offense after six of the team’s first seven picks were spent on defenders.

The enormously talented Stevens could give the Bucs a lethal two-tight end combination, combining with up-and-coming pass-catcher Alex Smith. At 6-7 and 260 pounds, Stevens has the bulk to provide strong blocking on the line but pairs that with uncommon speed and agility for his size. He caught 22 passes for 231 yards and four touchdowns during an injury-marred 2006 season after averaging 38 receptions for 452 yards and four touchdowns.

"He's a good player," said General Manager Bruce Allen, announcing the move shortly after the conclusion of the draft. "He is a big, powerful, speedy tight end. He has had some off-the-field issues that have hampered him a bit. We had a very serious talk with him today. I think Jerramy Stevens is a good young man. He is focused on doing things right. More importantly, he has to do things right."

The Seahawks selected Stevens in the first round in 2002; at 28th overall he was the earliest drafted tight end in Seattle franchise history. In his five seasons with the Seahawks, he played in 71 games, started 26 and caught 130 passes for 1,458 yards and 15 touchdowns. In five postseason games (one start), Stevens added 12 grabs for 120 yards and two more scores.

Stevens’ best season came during Seattle’s Super Bowl run in 2005. He set career highs that year with 45 receptions, 554 yards, five touchdowns and a 12.3-yard per-catch average. His yardage and TD totals set new Seahawk records for the tight end position. Stevens came up big in the playoffs, too, catching 11 passes for 104 yards and two touchdowns.

The Buccaneers got 55 receptions for 381 yards and four touchdowns out of the tight end spot last year, but 35 of those catches and three of the four scores belonged to Smith, the second-year tight end out of Stanford. The Buccaneers have used extensive two-TE sets over the past two seasons, putting Smith on the field with veteran Anthony Becht, a strong blocker and sure-handed receiver. The team made a trade just before the 2006 season to bring in former Raider and Jet tight end Doug Jolley, but Jolley played sparingly and finished the season with just one reception for seven yards.

Stevens was the third tight end drafted in 2002, following Jeremy Shockey and Daniel Graham. The Seahawks tapped him after he declared as a redshirt junior. Stevens played in 27 games at Washington, catching 74 passes for 953 yards. He was a finalist for the John Mackey Award in 2000 after setting a school record with 43 receptions for 600 yards.

A native of Olympia, Washington, Stevens was a highly-regarded quarterback prospect in high school. He joins Jeff Garcia, Cato June, Luke Petitgout, Kevin Carter, Patrick Chukwurah, Matt Lehr and Sammy Davis as notable players the Bucs have signed since the beginning of the free agency period.

Hes still a pussy lol

SteelerSteve
04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
If you have ever watched any seahawks games you would know he could not catch. The dude drops about 50% of his passes

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Hes still a pussy lol

:iagree: :hilarious:

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 08:24 AM
The Bucs had a decent draft, then turn around and pick this dumb**** up!!! Gruden WTF are you thinking man????????

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Can you say, Overrated ?

Hburg
04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
"Oveerrrraaated."

BuFu

TampaSteelGirl
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I can't stand Gruden and the Bucs..... :whiz: :haha:

Hawk Believer
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I wonder what the terms are. I am curious to see how he does in a new environment. Thing is the guy is incredibly talented and presents a tough match up problem for the D when is on. But he obviously has consistancy problems. The drunk driving arrest this winter was the last straw for the Hawks (they had let him become a free agent before that but a lot of folks thought they might consider a re-sign if they couldn't find a good recieving TE).

Since Stevens obviously has some psych issues that affect his play, I could see it being possible that he could have some monster years if it all comes together for him. Course, it could go the other way when he starts in a new offense. I'll be following that story this season.

Anyone want come work as a TE for the Seahawks? They are hiring.

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Seahawk fans should be happy, after he practically cost them the superbowl. Maybe they can finally get a pass catching TE instead of one that is all mouth.

Hawk Believer
04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Seahawk fans should be happy, after he practically cost them the superbowl. Maybe they can finally get a pass catching TE instead of one that is all mouth.

I think most people are happy. But the thing is, Stevens had the best season for a TE in the franchise history the SuperBowl season. He'd been solid till that game. Last season he was injured and had some good games and some invisible ones.

A good recieving TE on our west coast offense really helps open up other passing and running lanes. We are desperately short on TEs right now. We didn't pick up any in the draft. I don't think there are any big names left on the FA market. This position could be a big issue for the Hawks next season.

But the silver lining of the last week has been that we have gotten rid of the biggest prima donnas on the team. Our GM had been cleaning house of people with attitude issues since he came in. He cut a lot of talented guys who took plays off or were bad in the locker room. The only two that appeared to be left were Stevens and Darrel Jackson. You guys know how Stevens can be a bit of a thug/punk. Jackson was a bit of a prima donna and a bit more concened about himself than the team. He worked hard for sure. But rumors were that he was a bit of a malcontent when the Hawks didn't always get him the ball and when they signed Deion Branch. He was traded to the 49ers for a song this week (a 4th round draft pick).

So it would seem the Hawks have dropped what appeared to be the only linger character issues from the team. And they are a less talented offense as a result. Hopefully its a case of addition by subtraction. I really hope D-Jack doesn't come back to haunt us when we play the 9ers twice next year.

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
He was traded to the 49ers for a song this week (a 4th round draft pick).

Randy Moss went for a 4th round pick as well, so a 4th round pick for Jackson isnt really a song

Hawk Believer
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, here is to hoping that the player they got with that 4th pick has the talent of a Randy Moss and the character of a Steve Largent. Or since this is a Steeler site, you can insert Jerome Bettis's name in the latter slot. :)

But I still think that the 9ers picking up a guy who would be considered a solid #1 WR on a lot of NFL teams is a pretty good deal.

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, here is to hoping that the player they got with that 4th pick has the talent of a Randy Moss and the character of a Steve Largent. Or since this is a Steeler site, you can insert Jerome Bettis's name in the latter slot. :)

But I still think that the 9ers picking up a guy who would be considered a solid #1 WR on a lot of NFL teams is a pretty good deal.

Hey bro....was you pissed that they let Jackson go for a 4th rounder after giving up a 1st rounder to get him just last season? Is there something to his knee injury that ain't quite right? Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

Hawk Believer
04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey bro....was you pissed that they let Jackson go for a 4th rounder after giving up a 1st rounder to get him just last season? Is there something to his knee injury that ain't quite right? Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

It gets a bit confusing to keep track of all the WRs we have. Its probably our deepest position. It was actually Deion Branch who we gave up the 1st round pick for last season. Branch was OK last year but not as good as we'd hope for. We also picked up Nate Burleson from the Viking's last offseason. He has been a big dissapoint as a WR but did step up as a sorely needed consistant returner.

We've got some other WRs that you probably don't know by name but are pretty good. Bobby Engram and DJ Hacket to name a few.

People hav given the franchise and Branch a break so far. But I think we all have high expectations for him to have a more dramitic impact this season. I think people expected D-Jack was going to leave at the end of next season so they were OK with us trying to get something for him. But some people are pissed that we let him go. He was a great target.

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
It gets a bit confusing to keep track of all the WRs we have. Its probably our deepest position. It was actually Deion Branch who we gave up the 1st round pick for last season. Branch was OK last year but not as good as we'd hope for. We also picked up Nate Burleson from the Viking's last offseason. He has been a big dissapoint as a WR but did step up as a sorely needed consistant returner.

We've got some other WRs that you probably don't know by name but are pretty good. Bobby Engram and DJ Hacket to name a few.

People hav given the franchise and Branch a break so far. But I think we all have high expectations for him to have a more dramitic impact this season. I think people expected D-Jack was going to leave at the end of next season so they were OK with us trying to get something for him. But some people are pissed that we let him go. He was a great target.

Branch thats right, what the hell was I thinking, my fault man. Engram is a good posession receiver. You guys did pick up 2 receivers in the draft, Taylor and Kent. Kent looks to be the better of the 2, while Taylor might become a posession receiver himself. Anyway, good luck this season bro.

Hawk Believer
04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Branch thats right, what the hell was I thinking, my fault man. Engram is a good posession receiver. You guys did pick up 2 receivers in the draft, Taylor and Kent. Kent looks to be the better of the 2, while Taylor might become a posession receiver himself. Anyway, good luck this season bro.

:beer4: Like I said, its hard to keep track of all of our WRs. The guys we did pick up look like good prospects. But it just feels a but wierd since we have so much depth at WR. People are happy about a D-line guy we got. But we sure could have used some TE and O-Line prospects...

BTW, does that wishe of good luck apply the week 6 games Diesel?

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
:beer4: Like I said, its hard to keep track of all of our WRs. The guys we did pick up look like good prospects. But it just feels a but wierd since we have so much depth at WR. People are happy about a D-line guy we got. But we sure could have used some TE and O-Line prospects...

BTW, does that wishe of good luck apply the week 6 games Diesel?

You mean week 5 when you guys come to town? well of course, you guys will need all the luck in the world if you're going to beat us :cope: :cope: :cope:

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 09:31 PM
It will be an interesting game at least. And it will be just like the superbowl, with the Steelers walking away with the win.

spent
04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Can you say, Overrated ?

can you say cheap an unemployed?

Hawk Believer
05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
My guess is that they got Stevens in pretty favorable terms. Prolly cheap enough to make it no big deal if he washes out.

DIESELMAN
05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Can you say one more **** up away from a league suspension?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=spent;105476]can you say cheap an unemployed?[/QUOTE

After how many easy passes he dropped in the Super Bowl it's no wonder he came so cheap; the dude has under achieved in a big way.

spent
05-01-2007, 06:30 AM
yeah his character sucks! honestly didn't see this one coming at all and still question the reasoning.........I guess we'll find out soon enough........as a fan of course I am hoping he's had a wake up call and discovered sure-grip!

DIESELMAN
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
yeah his character sucks! honestly didn't see this one coming at all and still question the reasoning.........I guess we'll find out soon enough........as a fan of course I am hoping he's had a wake up call and discovered sure-grip!

Look at the bright side girl.....you guys drafted Gaines Adams and Aaron Sears :bigthumb: You guys still have a Becht and Alex Smith for your real TE's lol......You guys also drafted 2 big S's and someone who will be great at ST's in Quincy Black. Good draft :bigthumb:

spent
05-01-2007, 07:06 AM
yeah I am liking Sabby! thanks dm!

spent
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Stevens' Talent Apparently Justifies Risk
By JOE HENDERSON
The Tampa Tribune

Published: May 1, 2007

Jerramy Stevens has a hard time staying out of trouble, especially when he gets behind the wheel.

His rap sheet of moving violations includes a hit-and-run conviction after driving into a nursing home, and just last month in Arizona he was arrested after cops said he was driving under the influence. They also found marijuana in his car.

There are some other transgressions in his background that - well, let's put it this way: He never will be voted neighbor of the year by his condo association back home in Seattle. The Seattle Times detailed complaints from residents that he had wild all-night parties and set off fireworks from his deck, among other alleged misdeeds.

But he also is a 6-foot-7 tight end who was good enough to start for the Seahawks little more than a year ago in the Super Bowl. I'm guessing you know what's coming next.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, say hello to your newest Tampa Bay Buccaneer.

The Bucs signed him as a free agent.

Curious, huh? New NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been laying down more thou-shalt-nots lately than Moses. He suspended Pacman Jones and Chris Henry for various sins and promised swarms of locusts would descend upon players and teams that don't get the message.

So I mean, why take a chance? Why spend time, as Coach Jon Gruden did Monday, talking up your team's character and then introduce this character into your locker room?

I think we know why.

The guy can play.

Everything else, well, that's why you have public relations staffs.

Take A Chance
This isn't the first time they've done something like this. Remember Darrell Russell? He didn't even make it to training camp before the Bucs released him.

The Bucs have nothing more than a plane ticket invested in this deal. Stevens got no signing bonus, no guarantees, nothing more than one more last chance to salvage his career.

"He's on the cliff," General Manager Bruce Allen said.

He then said the magic words: "Zero tolerance."

Sometimes the view straight down is enough. It certainly seems to have been for Bucs running back Michael Pittman, who was arrested after police said he rammed his Hummer into a car driven by his wife and carrying his 2-year-old son. That was in 2003, and Pittman has stayed out of trouble since.

"[Stevens] has assured us it's all in his past," Allen said. "Sometimes you have to give people a chance."

Especially when they're 6-foot-7 tight ends who have started in the Super Bowl, have 15 touchdown catches in five seasons, and can help lift a team that went 4-12 a season ago.

"He was fearful he had ruined his career," Allen said.

Allen said he got a nice recommendation from Stevens' former coach in Seattle, Mike Holmgren. He said he did his homework. You have to trust your instincts, I guess.

The Bucs' top draft pick Saturday, Gaines Adams, wound up in the news recently for the wrong reasons, too - not as dramatic as Stevens, but enough to make him and a few other people nervous. Word was leaked that while being interviewed by the NFL prior to the draft, Adams admitted smoking dope.

It's tempting to dismiss that with a big "so what?" but obviously these days you can't. It becomes a "character" issue. It could lead to a failed drug test. It becomes something that could get you a one-on-one with Moses Goodell.

Adams was horrified to see this all got out. He says he was only being honest when asked a question. He said he hadn't smoked the stuff since high school.

"My name is a good name. All I want people to know about me is a good name. When that came out, it kind of put a glitch on my name and my family's name," he said. "I was very upset, but there was nothing I could do about it. I was only telling the truth.

"I was hurt that the whole world saw that. Maybe some people might still think that, but I would never know. The only thing people would say is that you were on NFL Network for such and such, and I don't want people to think that."

Thank The Bengals
If first impressions count for much, Gaines Adams will be just fine. He said "sir" so many times Monday while meeting the press, maybe he thought he got drafted by the Marines.

"Although he's a man of few words, he's a class act," Gruden said.

Spend a few minutes talking to him and the dope thing from long ago seems barely worth mentioning.

But we have to mention it because that's the NFL today. Thank the Cincinnati Bengals for that. Thank Pacman Jones. Thank all the others who couldn't handle the money or the attention.

Right now, Jerramy Stevens fits into that category.

Maybe he can change and the Bucs will benefit. Maybe staring into the abyss will shock some sense into the lad. Until we know for sure, however, there will always be doubt. When the phone rings at midnight, there will always be a thought that he's in trouble again.

But the guy can play. The NFL can talk about character all it wants, but as long as guy can perform, there will always be a team ready to give him zero tolerance.

ARKIESTEEL
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Is the state of FLA big enough for him to hide from Joey Porter..."he's soft":stirpot:

SteelerSteve
05-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I know most of the seahawks recievers mostly because I live in WA. I think they did let their most consistent one go, Branch is still fairly young and I think he will be alot better next year. Engram has always seemed to be good. They have a pretty solid, underrated recieving unit. When we play them we should not underestimate them but I doubt that will happen, and I predict a solid win! go steelers:cope: :cope: :cope: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: