PDA

View Full Version : Grade The Steelers 2007 Draft

Prosdo
04-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Okay, it's time to grade the Steelers 2007 Draft? So how do you think they did?

Blitzburgh55
04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Too early to tell

Prosdo
04-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I gave the Steelers a B+. I really like all the defensive picks. The TE troubled me a bit at first, but again have to remember this is no longer the Cowher Era. The TE is 6'7! Picked up an OG. Added some nice depth. Like the Dallas Baker pick. Seems like he could battle for a spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Way to early to tell. But I think the Steelers went in this draft with their pass rush being their biggest need. They have improved that with their first two picks.

As for the rest of the draft. We added Punter which was a need. One of the best punters in this draft no doubt so that was a good move. I like the fact a DE/DT was added to the rotation on the Dline. Its nice having another young corner in the mix. Plus the guy seems to be alittle bit of a ball hawk.

I like the addition of another TE and WR. Especially Baker in the 7th round. I think the Steelers had a solid draft but time will tell on how good or bad this draft was.

K Train
04-29-2007, 06:43 PM
im so happy, i know im probably alone but i think it was great draft....timmons was my guy at the end...woodley was one of my guys if god forbid we took a corner in the first. The TE through me off but im happy....then theres d-sep....nufced

I like all the day 2 picks....good depth and Baker was a steal

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 06:46 PM
im so happy, i know im probably alone but i think it was great draft....timmons was my guy at the end...woodley was one of my guys if god forbid we took a corner in the first. The TE through me off but im happy....then theres d-sep....nufced

I like all the day 2 picks....good depth and Baker was a steal

Every draft has the potential to be a great draft. Its just to early to tell. I think there is alot of potential in Timmons, Woodley, Sepulveda. I think those guys could have Pro Bowl potential at their respective positions.

Then guys like Gay and Baker are real sleepers in my mind. Then Spaeth, McBean and the OG are players that provide depth. Plus who knows maybe those guys turn out to be very good players as well. Overall I like this draft alot and I can't wait to see the new Steelers in action.

DIESELMAN
04-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I was looking for a OLB in rd 1, wasn't expecting back to back OLB's but I'm stoked about that. We got the best punter in the draft and for years to come..bye bye Gar****i. We got OL and CB depth and to add some competition in camp. We also got a big, tall receiver to do the same thing. A DT who can possibly play DE and a BIG TE who can help stretch the other receivers on the field....Miller and Spaeth in the game at the same time sounds impressive, if Spaeth can come out and prove hes a pass threat as well as a dozer, then defenses will be slow to react to both being on the field, we already know what Miller brings to the table. I say good picks all around :bigthumb:

BB2W
04-29-2007, 07:06 PM
I gave it a "B"...

I like the draft... I like Timmons, and Woodley is really growing on me I just didn't think we would address the same need so early and close together.

The Spaeth selection is a suprise to everyone but if they want to run three tight end sets it was a good pick. He can block and will get up the seam and make some nice catches... he killed Penn State as a senior.

I don't like the idea of taking a punter in the fourth let alone trading up for one... but after the Andy Lee deal fell through and Poldesh was selected Sepulveda was the last viable option at punter or it was another year of Gardoki... or they would gamble on a civilin Matt Barr. I guess I like the pick.

The next couple picks aren't going to impress anyone... but the addition of a recognized award winning lineman and an award winning corner are substantial this late in the draft. I think Gay may turn out to be a player.

Finally we get to the last selection of Baker... I think it's a great pick and value this late in the draft. He is a physical receiver who who lacks seperation but creates for himself. I think he might make the team.

I would have really liked to see a stud gaurd selected early or Jacoby Jones fall to us in the third, but the cards didn't fall that way.

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
I gave it a "B"...

I like the draft... I like Timmons, and Woodley is really growing on me I just didn't think we would address the same need so early and close together.

The Spaeth selection is a suprise to everyone but if they want to run three tight end sets it was a good pick. He can block and will get up the seam and make some nice catches... he killed Penn State as a senior.

I don't like the idea of taking a punter in the fourth let alone trading up for one... but after the Andy Lee deal fell through and Poldesh was selected Sepulveda was the last viable option at punter or it was another year of Gardoki... or they would gamble on a civilin Matt Barr. I guess I like the pick.

The next couple picks aren't going to impress anyone... but the addition of a recognized award winning lineman and an award winning corner are substantial this late in the draft. I think Gay may turn out to be a player.

Finally we get to the last selection of Baker... I think it's a great pick and value this late in the draft. He is a physical receiver who who lacks seperation but creates for himself. I think he might make the team.

I would have really liked to see a stud gaurd selected early or Jacoby Jones fall to us in the third, but the cards didn't fall that way.

lol did you think i was joking? lol

BB2W
04-29-2007, 07:14 PM
lol did you think i was joking? lolI hope Poldesh wins Rookie of the Year... :lol:

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
lol, hes a joke

TEEMONT
04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I give this draft a B-, right now anyways.

I like the Timmons pick, I still feel we could have traded down, and got him a few picks later.

Woodley was a nice pick up, and it kind of surprised me to be honest, I seriously thought Tony Hunt was a lock right here, but I was right 3-4 months ago, we didn't take a RB.

Spaeth seems to have a ton of potential, but I don't know why would takee another TE, unless we are actually planning on using them. Plus Tumane has got to be shitting his pants right now. Is he still in the teams plans? I just don't see us taking 5-6 WR's and 3 TE's in the gamedy roster.

The rest of the guys were all good depth picks and Sepulveda is going to be pretty good I think.

So....B- for now.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I give this draft a B-, right now anyways.

I like the Timmons pick, I still feel we could have traded down, and got him a few picks later.

Woodley was a nice pick up, and it kind of surprised me to be honest, I seriously thought Tony Hunt was a lock right here, but I was right 3-4 months ago, we didn't take a RB.

Spaeth seems to have a ton of potential, but I don't know why would takee another TE, unless we are actually planning on using them. Plus Tumane has got to be shitting his pants right now. Is he still in the teams plans? I just don't see us taking 5-6 WR's and 3 TE's in the gamedy roster.

The rest of the guys were all good depth picks and Sepulveda is going to be pretty good I think.

So....B- for now.

Yes you were right the Steelers didn't draft a RB. But right now there is only two on the roster. I'm alittle concerned about the depth. So they better bring a RB or two to training camp. Not unless the Steelers bring back Verron Haynes or they bring back Jon Kuhn.

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:29 PM
im willing to give kuhn a chance

Koopa
04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
that's cheating not to grade it now, you can't wait lol.........

i give it an b+

timmons- great pick at 15, there was no one else that would've been more value there, and there was no one there worth it for other teams to trade with us for them to move up and us move down, so it was a good pick

woodley- very good pick, will help on special teams right away, then he's a player we can groom to take over for haggans in 08......

that te, i don't know his name- at first i was bummed out with it, i thought they might have let bill cowher come on as a special picker......cause this had cowher wasted pick written all over it.....and i couldn't even enjoy my spurs win over the nuggets, mainly cause i was at my friends and i didn't have the luxury of having a computer lol, but then i came home, vented a little, and then finally started reading up on him, he seems kinda like a bum, but i guess the coaching staff likes him, he can be a nice target for ben in short range, while heath will be spread out more which will be good, and arians said he loves using 3 te's and he will use 3 te's....... i guess we better get used to this new era, no longer will we waste talent like cowher did on the regular

d-sep- great pick, we fill a huge need, we finally get value for our 4th round pick, if cowher was picking we would've probably picked a long snapper or some bs player, but this was great, good moving up to get him too, i guess they knew something we didn't cause i guess he would've been gone if we waited......

mcbean- adds good depth, gives us some flexibility if we want to play a little 4-3 every now and then

5th round picks- adds good depth on the line, and in the secondary

7th round pick- brings competition to the wring core, and could be a nice sleeper for us..........

tomlin did good in his first draft, i can't wait till next season, i doubt we win it all, but it should be a nice first season for tomlin

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
im willing to give kuhn a chance

**** at this point i'm willing to give you a chance. The fact remains the Steelers need another body at RB since Willie and Dookie are the only two on the roster.

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
i love how "d-sep" has caught on...i gave him a hardcore gangster nickname lol

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Grade = B

they needed pass rush and now secured it. and secured the LB postion for a good while.

If Speath has 3rd round talent and become a good or great TE and with his size and potiential he could be a great TE then we might be the only team with two great TE's and that can open alot of doors I hope Arians knows what he's doing.

Sepulvdeda I really didn't think the Steelers were going to pick him I was very impressed by Tomlin/Colbert and K-TRAIN. he will be the best punter we ever had, he might be the best punter in the NFL mabye make the HOF. But he will be the toughest punter and best tackling punter. He has Pittsburgh Steelers written al over him. Everyone will fall in love with him

McBean adds nice depth and he's a good player

Stephensen also nice depth and could start down the road

Gay will only make the Corners push even harder to start and he could be a decent #3 for us

Baker FINALLY we have a tall WR again since Burress. Washington is 6'1 and he will compete with Baker. Washington does play taller than his height but Baker could very well get a spot. He could be a giant steal like Mickeal Bush.

We didn't draft a RB like I hoped but we might pick one up in free agency and everyone forgot we have Davenport. Speath could have been picked a round later so we could have gotten RB CB OLINE but Speath could very well be a great asset to our team but we do have MILLER?

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
by no means was spaeth brought in to push miller out....skill level wise spaeth has nothing on heath...he was brought in to block and open things up for heath

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Steelers are talking with Haynes, also some undrafted free agents.

BB2W
04-29-2007, 08:13 PM
he will be the best punter we ever had, he might be the best punter in the NFL mabye make the HOF.Wow... I wouldn't go that far. There are no punters in the Hall of Fame. Not even Ray Guy...

K Train
04-29-2007, 08:16 PM
lol D-Sep....future hall of famer lol

all jokes aside....im happy we got him (obviously) lol

Steelerlyn
04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Impossible to grade the draft at this point, check out these past drafts, they can be graded because we now know what these guys can or cannot do on a pro level. Naturally, only time will tell, but this draft seems kind of the opposite of previous Colbert drafts. The last few, I felt we always hit perfect strikes on Rd 1 and then they got progressively more iffy & with a lot of misses. This year I don't have the same strong Rd 1 feeling as say Ben or Troy or Heath, but I really like our Rd 2 + picks.

1997 Steelers Draft Picks
Round Pick Player Selected School Pos
1 24 Chad Scott Maryland CB
2 23 Will Blackwell San Diego St. WR
3 22 Paul Wiggins Oregon OL
3* 31 Mike Vrable Ohio St. DL
5 24 George Jones San Diego St. RB
6 23 Daryl Porter Boston College CB
6* 36 Rod Manuel Oklahoma DE
7 22 Michael Adams Texas WR

1998 Steelers Draft Picks
Rd Pick Player Selected School Pos
1 26 Alan Faneca LSU OG
2 11*** Jeremy Staat Arizona St. DL
3 5** Chris Conrad Fresno St. OT
3 31* Hines Ward Georgia WR
4 25 DeShea Townsend Alabama CB
4 31* Carlos King N.C. State FB
5 14**** Jason Simmons Arizona St. CB
6 25 Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala Utah RB
6 33* Ryan Olson Colorado DL/LB
7 32* Angel Rubio SE Missouri St. DL

Steelers 1999 Draft Picks
1 13 Troy Edwards Louisiana Tech WR
2 28****Scott Shields Weber St. DB
3 12**** Joey Porter Colorado St. DL/LB
3 13 Kris Farris UCLA OT
3 34* Amos Zereoue West Virginia RB
4 14 Aaron Smith Northern Colorado DL
5 3** Jerame Tuman Michigan TE
5 33* Malcolm Johnson Notre Dame WR
7 8*** Antonio Dingle Virginia DL
7 13 Chad Kelsay Nebraska LB
7 22**** Kris Brown Nebraska PK

Steelers 2000 Draft Board
1 8 Plaxico Burress Michigan St. WR
2 7 Marvel Smith Arizona St. OT
3 10 Kendrick Clancy Mississippi DT
3 15 Hank Poteat Pittsburgh CB
4 9 Danny Farmer UCLA WR
5 8 Clark Haggans Colorado State DL
5 34 Tee Martin Tennessee QB
6 7 Chris Combs Duke DL
6 38 Jason Gavadza Kent TE

Steelers 2001 Draft Board
1 19* Casey Hampton Texas DT
2 8** Kendrell Bell Georgia LB
4 16* Mathias Nkwenti Temple OT
5 15 Chukky Okobi Purdue C
6 18* Rodney Bailey Ohio State DL
6 19 Roger Knight Wisconsin LB
7 18 Chris Taylor Texas A&M WR

Steelers 2002 Draft Board
1 30 Kendall Simmons Auburn OL
2 30 Antwaan Randle El Indiana WR/QB
3 29 Chris Hope Florida State S
4 30 Larry Foote Michigan LB
5 31 Verron Haynes Georgia RB
6 30 Lee Mays UTEP WR
7 1* Lavar Glover Cincinnati CB
7 31 Bret Keisel BYU DE

Steelers 2003 Draft Board
1 16 Troy Polamalu USC SS
2 27 Alonzo Jackson Florida State DE/LB
4 28 Ike Taylor Louisiana-Lafayette CB
5 28 Brian St. Pierre Boston College QB
7 28 J.T. Wall Georgia FB

Steelers 2004 Draft Board
1 11 Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH) QB
2 6 Ricardo Colclough Tusculum CB
3 12 Max Starks Florida OT
5 13 Nathaniel Adibi Virginia Tech DE
6 12 Bo Lacy Arkansas OT
6 29 Matt Kranchick Penn State sucks TE
6 32 Drew Caylor Stanford C/DL
7 11 Eric Taylor Memphis DT

Steelers 2005 Draft Board
1 30 Heath Miller Virginia TE
2 30 Bryant McFadden Florida State CB
3 29 Trai Essex Northwestern OT
4 30 Fred Gibson Georgia WR
5 30 Rain Wallace Temple ILB
6 30 Chris Kemoeatu Utah OG
7 14 Shaun Nua BYU DE
7 30 Noah Herron Northwestern RB

Steelers 2006 Draft Board
1 32 Santonio Holmes Ohio St WR
3 19 Anthony Smith Syracuse S
3 31 Willie Reid Florida St WR
4 34 Willie Colon Hofstra OG
4 36 Orien Harris Miami DT
5 31 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green QB
5 34 Charles Davis Purdue TE
6 32 Marvin Philip California C
7 32 Cedric Humes Virginia Tech RB

BlackGold4vr
04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Not that they need my approval in any way to validate their results.

I admit that the TE pick to end day 1 had me in a tail spin and I went to bed last night a little sick about the strategy that was playing out (mainly with their lack of movement to grab some of the better players that I had personally hoped would wear the black and Gold like Blalock and Hunt).

I missed most of the picks today but after reviewing the whole draft I believe they filled every need except for RB and I'm sure they can still address that need with an unsigned free agent (Willie was one so you never know when the Rooney's have that ace in the hole that they are waiting to play). It wouldn't shock me if they pull some rabbit out of the hat and sign some beast that we never heard of.

I think we did pretty good overall. If we had gotten Bush or Hunt I would have given us an - A -

Initially I wasn't real happy with the first two picks being utilized on LB's but I think that was a good move and like I have said before I really like Woodley. I believe he is an old fashioned physical style of player who brings some nastiness to our linebacking corps. He will look good in black and gold!

You never really know how well you did until you see how they play together against real competition, especially our division rivals. I DO NOT WANT TO BE SWEPT BY THE FOUL SMELLING RATBIRDS AGAIN. That will be the true test. We already know we can beat the other two teams on any given Sunday but those Ratbirds dominated us twice last year. We weren't in either game from the opening kickoff.

You are off to a good start Coach Tomlin........good draft! My apologies for doubting!

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

K Train
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
we like FSU players dont we lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
we like FSU players dont we lol

Alonzo Jackson, Byrant McFadden, Willie Reid and now Lawrence Timmons. I would say yes we do.:lol:

BlackGold4vr
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Alonzo Jackson, Byrant McFadden, Willie Reid and now Lawrence Timmons. I would say yes we do.:lol:

Lets not forget about Marcello Church :hilarious:

DIESELMAN
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Not that they need my approval in any way to validate their results.

I admit that the TE pick to end day 1 had me in a tail spin and I went to bed last night a little sick about the strategy that was playing out (mainly with their lack of movement to grab some of the better players that I had personally hoped would wear the black and Gold like Blalock and Hunt).

I missed most of the picks today but after reviewing the whole draft I believe they filled every need except for RB and I'm sure they can still address that need with an unsigned free agent (Willie was one so you never know when the Rooney's have that ace in the hole that they are waiting to play). It wouldn't shock me if they pull some rabbit out of the hat and sign some beast that we never heard of.

I think we did pretty good overall. If we had gotten Bush or Hunt I would have given us an - A -

Initially I wasn't real happy with the first two picks being utilized on LB's but I think that was a good move and like I have said before I really like Woodley. I believe he is an old fashioned physical style of player who brings some nastiness to our linebacking corps. He will look good in black and gold!

You never really know how well you did until you see how they play together against real competition, especially our division rivals. I DO NOT WANT TO BE SWEPT BY THE FOUL SMELLING RATBIRDS AGAIN. That will be the true test. We already know we can beat the other two teams on any given Sunday but those Ratbirds dominated us twice last year. We weren't in either game from the opening kickoff.

You are off to a good start Coach Tomlin........good draft! My apologies for doubting!

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I think we all had a knee jerk reaction to Spaeth being picked. :lol: I got good feelings on the 1-4 picks. If the rest can give reasons to be on the roster, we're in good shape.

K Train
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I think we could all agree the draft could have been ALOT worse

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Damn how could I forget about Marcello Church?:lol:

K Train
04-29-2007, 09:31 PM
watch him become a perennial pro bowler and all we do is make fun of him lol

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 10:30 PM
I gave it a solid B. It started out great with Timmons and Woodley then took a nose dive with Spaeth in the 3rd round. I still feel he could have been drafted in the 4th easily and we maybe could have went RB in the 3rd, all 3 of our guys were still on the board then.

I never like taking a kicker anytime before the 6th round, maybe the 5th at the earliest but given our situation with Gardocki's leg basically being jello and seeing how much it costs us last year we had to take him so Im cool with it, I think Sep will be a beast.

I think the steal of the draft for us will be McBean and Baker. McBean is a beast from what Ive read and while he's a bit raw and needs to work on his conditioning he could be something really special for us in a year or 2. Dallas Baker is a good WR and Im surprised he fell to us in the 7th, he'll give players like Walter YOung on our squad a run for their money.

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:31 PM
baker should push out young this year

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I like Young, he seems like a guy just waiting to show us what he's got. He's the ideal size for a big WR so I was hoping for big things from him but your right that Baker could push him for his spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Dude Walter Young is in his late 20s its either time for him to put up or shut up.lol I think Dallas Baker makes the team and will be one of the steals of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Koopa
04-29-2007, 10:59 PM
i laugh everytime i read someone talk about a tall wr, they are so overrated...... i hope baker can make it just so tomlin can have a good first draft....... but being tall is the most overrated thing in the history of the world :lol:

K Train
04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
i laugh everytime i read someone talk about a tall wr, they are so overrated...... i hope baker can make it just so tomlin can have a good first draft....... but being tall is the most overrated thing in the history of the world :lol:

you know how i feel on it.....so overrated, some of the tallest WRs are the biggest bitches in the league, and the shortest are the best.

We have a tall WR and his name is Heath Miller

Koopa
04-29-2007, 11:08 PM
you know how i feel on it.....so overrated, some of the tallest WRs are the biggest bitches in the league, and the shortest are the best.

We have a tall WR and his name is Heath Miller

actually we have a tall receiver, not a wr because he's a te lol....... miller is gonna be beastly this year the way arians is talking, he's gonna be spread out more while that new dude and tuman do the blocking....... i can't wait, finally coaches that know how to coach

K Train
04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
actually we have a tall receiver, not a wr because he's a te lol....... miller is gonna be beastly this year the way arians is talking, he's gonna be spread out more while that new dude and tuman do the blocking....... i can't wait, finally coaches that know how to coach

dude....do you read any of my posts lol

Koopa
04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
dude....do you read any of my posts lol

yeah, you called him a tall wr, wr means wide receiver, he isn't that, he's a te which means tight end, so that means he's just a tall receiver :lol:

K Train
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
ok getting a little technical lol....i was calling him a WR in a metaphorical sense :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes size is over-rated the same could be said for speed as well. But I don't think Dallas Baker is soft like Fred Gibson was or even Plax when he was with the Steelers. Now Plax played like his 6-5 frame at times but he also played like he was 5-11 since he was soft.

**** Dallas Baker played at a top program and played in some big games. Plus produced. As a 7th round pick I think it was great value. If he doesn't pan out then oh well.lol

K Train
04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
exactly, great value...what else can you ask for in a 7th round choice

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Like said it's early. B-.

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 03:14 AM
I gave the draft a B. I hope by the end of the year it can be upgraded to an A+, but for now, my feeling is a solid B with a chance of it rising or falling throughout the season