PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 5th Round Selection - 2007 - William Gay - CB - Louisville

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gay_william00.html

There's the CB depth that we can use. Maybe he'll surprise us. 5'11 182lbs so he has OK size but not great.

BBC
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Good. We're going after actual needs now.

I like the pick. A Cover 2 corner, he'll do fine in our system.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah that what Im hoping, that he works out well for us because he has experience being this type of corner. I wish he'd be a bit taller but hopefully his athletic ability will work well for him against some of the big WR's he'll be facing.

BB2W
04-29-2007, 02:46 PM
This kid had a lot of interceptions as a senior, but was prolly hurt by his 40 times... kinda like Anthony Smith.

Prosdo
04-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Added some more depth to the CB position. Good pick up.

BBC
04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
yeah that what Im hoping, that he works out well for us because he has experience being this type of corner. I wish he'd be a bit taller but hopefully his athletic ability will work well for him against some of the big WR's he'll be facing.

He's not as tall, but he makes up for it with how physical of a player he is. He seems like a "Pittsburgh guy" (with the exception of his last name ;)), I think he'll develop into a solid corner.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 03:02 PM
This kid had a lot of interceptions as a senior, but was prolly hurt by his 40 times... kinda like Anthony Smith.

Good points man. Exactly 40 times hurt players but we know that 40 times can be over-rated especially since they run the 40 in their underwear at the combine. Its all about football speed and instincts. With Anthony Smith that showed last year and while he was at Syracuse.

So I'm happy with the Gay pick and hopefully he can show more then Ricardo Colclough. I'm still not giving up on Ricardo but its nice having another young talent at corner.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
He's not as tall, but he makes up for it with how physical of a player he is. He seems like a "Pittsburgh guy" (with the exception of his last name ;)), I think he'll develop into a solid corner.

That's what we need, to play CB in the the AFCN you have to be physical because we know the WR's in our division will put a hurting on you if you can't dish it out too.

BB2W
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
He was second in the Big-East with six interceptions.

Penn State has two of the fastest and most highly recruited corners in the nation and they didn't come close to getting their hands on six INT's... I think the dude can play. We'll see...

DIESELMAN
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
he also had 2 sacks, hes got good hands and instincts.