PDA

View Full Version : Blitzs Thoughts on the Day One 1

Blitzburgh55
04-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Round One- Lawrence Timmons
From Reading Things and Hearing things on the TV I saw that the steelers was getting reday to take Revis with 15 pick but then the jets traded up and took him at 14. I feel Timmons can be a quailty player. It looks he will be great at rushing the passer. But anyone remember the last FSU linesbacker we took on the first day? Its Alonzo Jackson.

Round Two- LaMarr Woodley
This is IMO the best pick of the day. If you win Defensive Player of the Year in the Big Ten you have to be pretty good. I think he can be a star at DE/OLB. Even though he is only 6'1" it dosent matter how tall you are to tackle the man with the ball. And he is very quick off the ball

Round Three- Matt Spaeth
WHO? Thats what everyone was think when he was drafted. But was a 1st Team All-American so he cant be that bad. My though is that he is 6'7" and in the goal line put him out as a WR and he is getting covered by a guy that only 6'0". Even though we didnt need a TE, he could still be a nice player

Ambridge
04-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Timmons wasn't a shocker but Woodley and Spaeth. :scratch:
The Day 2 picks are looking just as questionable from Tomlin and Colbert.

I wonder how many picks don't actually make the roster this year as well??

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Round One- Lawrence Timmons
From Reading Things and Hearing things on the TV I saw that the steelers was getting reday to take Revis with 15 pick but then the jets traded up and took him at 14. I feel Timmons can be a quailty player. It looks he will be great at rushing the passer. But anyone remember the last FSU linesbacker we took on the first day? Its Alonzo Jackson.

Round Two- LaMarr Woodley
This is IMO the best pick of the day. If you win Defensive Player of the Year in the Big Ten you have to be pretty good. I think he can be a star at DE/OLB. Even though he is only 6'1" it dosent matter how tall you are to tackle the man with the ball. And he is very quick off the ball

Round Three- Matt Spaeth
WHO? Thats what everyone was think when he was drafted. But was a 1st Team All-American so he cant be that bad. My though is that he is 6'7" and in the goal line put him out as a WR and he is getting covered by a guy that only 6'0". Even though we didnt need a TE, he could still be a nice player

Ok Alonzo Jackson wasn't a true LB. He was DE turned OLB. With Timmons he is more of pure/true OLB so now worries about that for me. Hey Mike Tomlin loves the guy so he has better judgement then me.

K Train
04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
no way spaeth was drafted to catch passes....he was drafted to be a dominate blocker

Ambridge
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
no way spaeth was drafted to catch passes....he was drafted to be a dominate blocker

Basically another TE to eat-up a valuable roster spot.:greengrin:

K Train
04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
no, tuman is gone

BB2W
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
It sounds like they will keep Tuman and use some three tight end sets...

Spaeth can catch... He tore up Penn State last year and had many good games receiving.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Both top 2 picks can play OLB for us and should fit in very nicely. They will give us some fresh blood at the LB spot and push everyone to be even better. Haggans and Harrison may be the tagged starters for right now but Timmons & Woodley won't sit back and just be content for ST very long. They're going to push for more and more playing time and competition breeds success.

I still don't like the Spaeth pick in the 3rd, we could have easily gotten him in the 4th round IMO.

DIESELMAN
04-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Miller and Spaeth in the game at the same time sounds impressive, if Spaeth can come out and prove hes a pass threat as well as a dozer, then defenses will be slow to react to both being on the field, we already know what Miller brings to the table. I say good pick :bigthumb:

K Train
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Both top 2 picks can play OLB for us and should fit in very nicely. They will give us some fresh blood at the LB spot and push everyone to be even better. Haggans and Harrison may be the tagged starters for right now but Timmons & Woodley won't sit back and just be content for ST very long. They're going to push for more and more playing time and competition breeds success.

I still don't like the Spaeth pick in the 3rd, we could have easily gotten him in the 4th round IMO.

no we couldnt have....weve had plans for that pick for months lol

Iron City South
04-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Did this draft surprise me in some ways .... Yes.
Were these the guys that I would have targeted? ..... NO
Do I think the Steelers have a plan and know exactly how they envision using these guys? .... Yes

So, that said ... This is why I liked this draft .....

I think it has more to do with the overall talent in this draft being mostly 2nd and 3rd round type of talent. Steelers were solid and methodical at every pick and have not reached more than a few spots then where they were supposed to go.

Fact: They have improved what has been a terrible pass rush
Fact: They have improved their special teams
Fact: They have improved at TE . Especially knowing they want to go with a lot more 2 TE sets.
Fact: The offense is going to be different this year, waaaaay different than any of us without internal information can even fathom at this point.
Fact: We drafted better than a lot of other teams
Fact: Some teams appear to have drafted better
Fact: The Steelers are one of the franchises with the most draft success... so I think we can trust them.

So, relax .... everything will be fine. :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Did this draft surprise me in some ways .... Yes.
Were these the guys that I would have targeted? ..... NO
Do I think the Steelers have a plan and know exactly how they envision using these guys? .... Yes

So, that said ... This is why I liked this draft .....

I think it has more to do with the overall talent in this draft being mostly 2nd and 3rd round type of talent. Steelers were solid and methodical at every pick and have not reached more than a few spots then where they were supposed to go.

Fact: They have improved what has been a terrible pass rush
Fact: They have improved their special teams
Fact: They have improved at TE . Especially knowing they want to go with a lot more 2 TE sets.
Fact: The offense is going to be different this year, waaaaay different than any of us without internal information can even fathom at this point.
Fact: We drafted better than a lot of other teams
Fact: Some teams appear to have drafted better
Fact: The Steelers are one of the franchises with the most draft success... so I think we can trust them.

So, relax .... everything will be fine. :tt02:

Thank you thank you....Great post my friend.:tt02:

SteelerFan87
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, our needs were to replace Peezy, get a power back, get some O-line help, and maybe a WR or CB. Our 1st 2 picks were both used to try to find Peezy's replacement, and our third.... WTF??? TE??? We BETTER start using the TE then, or I'm really going to be pissed at this pick. We already have Miller and Tuman. If they REALLY utilize this new guy, ok. But if it's the usual way the Steelers use the TE, then what a waste of a 3rd rounder.