PDA

View Full Version : Timmons wasn't their 1st choice

Captcoolhand
04-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Colbert said that, unlike Porter, Timmons is a man of few words, and he showed that in a conference call yesterday when, for example, he was asked to describe his strength.
"My versatility."
Two defensive ends the Steelers might have wanted to take with their first-round pick were gone before they had a chance.
Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas was selected by the Atlanta Falcons with the eighth pick and Adam Carriker of Nebraska went 13th to the St. Louis Rams.
The Steelers were foiled somewhat when the New York Jets made a trade with Carolina to slip into the No. 14 slot and draft Pitt cornerback Darrelle Revis. The Jaguars wanted Revis and were ready to offer the Steelers a high draft choice to switch with them at No. 17, where Timmons most likely still would be available. The Jets' move killed that
I wonder what Jags would of traded us to move up 2 spots:dunno:
Whatever it would of been,I'm sure it would of been worth it,IMO. :yesnod:

Stlrs4Life
04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
That's for sure.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
The Steelers had to know that Carriker was being heavily recruited by St. Louis..Hell we all knew that. If they wanted him that bad they should have traded up to get him. I didn't think Jamaal Anderson would fall to us and there was no way we were trading up to 8 to get him.

House of Steel
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Didn't know Jaguars was interested in trading up to us to get Revis, hmmmmm, how interesting that would of been. This draft sure gotten very weird yesterday.

Captcoolhand
04-29-2007, 10:38 AM
ya you're right but i wouldn't have minded entertaining the trade down:yesnod:

House of Steel
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I called that in the first round contest yesterday. Philly even told me this too and explained in a good enough detail to take that advice to heed. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. I wonder.

BB2W
04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I always thought it would have been Carriker if he was there...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
NFLN and all the papers said that we were coveting Revis in a big way, yet when you talk to the FO they say he wasn't as big of a priority that everyone else thinks. Sounds like a BS line to me to cover up the fact that we got had in the 1st round.

AZ_Steeler
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
It kind of sucks when your first 2 choices are taken by the time it's your turn to draft. Makes you wonder if it might have thrown them off their game yesterday which lead to the taking of a TE in the 3rd round :dunno:

Puhlahmahlu
04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
For the draft i was hoping to get leon hall with our 1st pick, trade our 2nd 3rd and 4th pick to the bears for lance briggs. that way we got a cornerback that we need because ike got burnt alot during the season. and i like lance briggs he could lead our d like porter did.

K Train
04-29-2007, 08:50 PM
For the draft i was hoping to get leon hall with our 1st pick, trade our 2nd 3rd and 4th pick to the bears for lance briggs. that way we got a cornerback that we need because ike got burnt alot during the season. and i like lance briggs he could lead our d like porter did.

please dont make us beat poor barbaro any more on the corner topic

:deadhorse:

oh and trading your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks for an overpaid linebacker is nuts.....we wouldve kept porter if we wanted to go through all that trouble

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok, I have watched and followed Michigan football since the Elvis Grbac days at Michigan. I like Leon Hall but he is so over-rated. He will be a good pro but wasn't worth the 15th pick. Hell Ginn and Jarrett ate him up.

As for Lance Briggs. Do you really think the Steeler would give Briggs the contract that Drew Rosenhaus is looking for? So hell no on Lance Briggs. I like Briggs but not for the price tag Rosenhaus is looking for. If they are going to spend that type of coin they better use it on Troy Polamalu since he will be a free agent next year.

BBG7
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
please dont make us beat poor barbaro any more on the corner topic

:deadhorse:

oh and trading your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks for an overpaid linebacker is nuts.....we wouldve kept porter if we wanted to go through all that trouble

I agree....2nd, 3rd, and 4th round....that's just ridiculous. Tomlin seems to have a lot of faith in Ike....he just needs to build up his confidence again....something BC destroyed.

Koopa
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
jags??? they traded up into the 20's to get their man, what makes you think they would've traded to number 15 to get the same guy they wanted???

if the steelers were series about revis i'm sure they could've struck a deal with carolina.........and colbert said from the start if they traded, it would be somewhere in the 20's not up in the draft..... so i doubt they wanted carriker that bad

and hall is gonna be a bust, if you get torn apart by dwayne jarrett that just shows you suck *** cause jarrett is a soft piece of ****

Puhlahmahlu
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
oo i forgot troys contracts up next year.if we dont resign him i will be so mad.

K Train
04-29-2007, 09:01 PM
i really hate the thought of carriker.....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 09:43 PM
If we'd have traded away all those early picks I'd be more mad than I was seeing us take Spaeth in the 3rd round. Putting a bunch of day 2 picks together to move up is one thing but....

SteelerSteve
04-30-2007, 12:54 AM
oo i forgot troys contracts up next year.if we dont resign him i will be so mad.
We better resign him. If the steelers dont think he deserves a fat contract, then they must think nobody does. I highly doubt they would just let him go anyway.

DIESELMAN
04-30-2007, 01:17 AM
NFLN and all the papers said that we were coveting Revis in a big way, yet when you talk to the FO they say he wasn't as big of a priority that everyone else thinks. Sounds like a BS line to me to cover up the fact that we got had in the 1st round.

How many mocks have we seen in the past few months that had us taking a CB. I think its a lot of BS started by the papers to make themselves look good in case we did draft a CB. It don't matter anyways, shoulda, woulda, coulda, we had a damn good draft. We got 2 top notch OLB's, a kickass punter and the versatility to make our offense even more potent. With Spaeth lined up, Miller will be free to actually concentrate on running routes instead of pass blocking. We didn't get had by any means, if Tomlin and Colbert actually valued someone that much they would've worked something out. If we did it for a punter, we could've done it for anyone. :2cents:

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 02:35 AM
i look for troy to have a new deal by the start of the season

steelcurtaingal
04-30-2007, 08:09 AM
We can say how we wish we would have goten this player and that, but in the end, we didnt. so we have to move on from who we wanted to get, and lookat the guys we have.

tony hipchest
04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I wonder what Jags would of traded us to move up 2 spots:dunno:
Whatever it would of been,I'm sure it would of been worth it,IMO. :yesnod:this article isnt saying the steelers coveted, carriker, anderson or revis per say.

what the thinking was is that it took atleast one of these 3 to fall to the steelers at #15 to have any significant trade value. the steelers definitely woulda considered drafting any of the 3 but they DEFINITELY woulda considered trading out of the spot for latter picks and "settle" for timmons.

the value chart says it would cost the jags a 4th and a 5th to move up 2 spots into 15. we may have even settled for a 4th alone, or we may have been able to squeeze out a 3rd. either way we woulda still got timmons at 17. i dont know why the jets would deal with carolina instead of us. probably cause were more of an immediate threat being in the afc but trading up to 15 instead of 14 may have been slightly cheaper.

i would gladly take beason and kalil/or jarrett over timmons alone, any day.

tony hipchest
04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
jags??? they traded up into the 20's to get their man, what makes you think they would've traded to number 15 to get the same guy they wanted???

if the steelers were series about revis i'm sure they could've struck a deal with carolina.........and colbert said from the start if they traded, it would be somewhere in the 20's not up in the draft..... so i doubt they wanted carriker that bad

the jags "man" was revis, and they were prepared to strike a deal to move UP to get him. the jets beat them to the punch and struck a deal with the panthers. when their "man" was off the board they decided to get the most value for their pick, and trade down.

thats how these draft day trades work for smart teams who know how to work it. the steelers accurately guaged the market and knew the 15 pick had hidden value AS LONG AS carriker, revis, or anderson were still on the board. once they were gone the steelers lost that value and had to take the highest rated player they had (assuming it wasnt a TE or QB who they said they would not draft in round #1)

kudos to the steelers for knowing the market, trying to work it, and carrying on when plan A didnt work out.

Koopa
04-30-2007, 11:39 PM
this article isnt saying the steelers coveted, carriker, anderson or revis per say.

what the thinking was is that it took atleast one of these 3 to fall to the steelers at #15 to have any significant trade value. the steelers definitely woulda considered drafting any of the 3 but they DEFINITELY woulda considered trading out of the spot for latter picks and "settle" for timmons.

the value chart says it would cost the jags a 4th and a 5th to move up 2 spots into 15. we may have even settled for a 4th alone, or we may have been able to squeeze out a 3rd. either way we woulda still got timmons at 17. i dont know why the jets would deal with carolina instead of us. probably cause were more of an immediate threat being in the afc but trading up to 15 instead of 14 may have been slightly cheaper.

alright, you are no longer allowed to talk :lol:

jarrett is a soft wr that isn't gonna do anything

kalil is just a bitch, he's a center in the wac 10, he is not a steeler football type, just a soft faggot that looked tough cause he played against softer teams

beason i wouldn't have mind.......

tony hipchest
04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
alright, you are no longer allowed to talk :lol:

jarrett is a soft wr that isn't gonna do anything

kalil is just a bitch, he's a center in the wac 10, he is not a steeler football type, just a soft faggot that looked tough cause he played against softer teams

beason i wouldn't have mind.......well, since you put it that way, and since i really care about either teams who played in the champ game TWO years ago....

i dont know who i'd rather have on the steelers roster. a coupla beachcombing homos or some goat herding, sheep f*(king, aggie wannabes.

:lol: actually this is easy. ive lived in cali, but only step into texas to fly the hell out of there via the el paso airport or because traveling 20 miles through that shithole is the quickest path to juarez mexico. :hilarious: i'll go with one of the 2 usc players (assuming blaylock was off the board)

Koopa
05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
taking a center over a play maker is just ****ing stupid, you can get a good center anywhere, timmons is a play maker, wanting kalil over him is just stupid, and wanting a bum in jarrett is even dumber, jarrett is mike williams part 2, just a product of a system, he won't make an impact in the nfl, and kalil will just be another center that starts cause they probably have no one better.......

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I will say that taking a Center when we have a roster full of them already wouldn't have been an ideal situation for us no matter who it was. Between Mahan, Okobi, Philip, & Simmons, who can all play Center I think we're pretty set.

:2cents:

DIESELMAN
05-01-2007, 01:43 AM
jarrett is mike williams part 2, just a product of a system, he won't make an impact in the nfl

You got that right, I'd rather have Timmons over Jarrett any day of the week, especially when Timmons upgrades our defense.

I will say that taking a Center when we have a roster full of them already wouldn't have been an ideal situation for us no matter who it was. Between Mahan, Okobi, Philip, & Simmons, who can all play Center I think we're pretty set.

Our OL situation is better then most of us think, with Mahan in there, the drafting of Stephenson and hopefully UDFA Capizzi (these last 2 guys are still projects but they have the physical tools) making somewhat of an impact, competition in camp will bring the best out of everybody and give us a solid OL.

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 02:10 AM
taking a center over a play maker is just ****ing stupid, you can get a good center anywhere, timmons is a play maker, wanting kalil over him is just stupid, and wanting a bum in jarrett is even dumber, jarrett is mike williams part 2, just a product of a system, he won't make an impact in the nfl, and kalil will just be another center that starts cause they probably have no one better.......1st off - timmons is a 1st rounder. kalil was a 2nd.

2nd - webster, dawson, hartings. i dont know where you been for the past 30 years or so (but "on earth" isnt the answer). steelers passed on mangold last year and coulda helped make up for that pass with kalil for nothing more than trading down in the 1st and still landing the same player (timmons).

i understand youre a hater and all, but im more inclined to side with actual pros who know their **** such as brant and kirwan et al. rather than relying of the hatitude of a wannabe aggie.

thanks though :bigthumb:

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 02:21 AM

:2cents:thats all fine and dandy but, simmons is on record as wanting to keep his current job plus he will be a free agent. mahan was brought in cause tomlin knows him and he was a relatively cheap alternative for faneca who is also a free agent. starks is a free agent, and after 07 smith will be in the final year of his contract.

i believe in okolbi, but if you think mahan and simmons are the answer, then okolbi might not be. and philip? is he better at his position than essex, colon, starks, and kemoeatu are at theirs? other than starks they are all back ups, drafted to be back ups.

i believe they are all capable of being starters, but like starks has proven, steelerfans are fickle and the second any starters production drops off, they start calling for the back up despite their capability.

Koopa
05-01-2007, 02:29 AM
1st off - timmons is a 1st rounder. kalil was a 2nd.

2nd - webster, dawson, hartings. i dont know where you been for the past 30 years or so (but "on earth" isnt the answer). steelers passed on mangold last year and coulda helped make up for that pass with kalil for nothing more than trading down in the 1st and still landing the same player (timmons).

i understand youre a hater and all, but im more inclined to side with actual pros who know their **** such as brant and kirwan et al. rather than relying of the hatitude of a wannabe aggie.

thanks though :bigthumb:

why do you keep calling me an aggie??? that's pretty retarded calling me that....... what the **** does where i live have to do with anything??? i see you are trying to bring that fever style over here, where you can't have a simple debate without calling someone a name.........

why do you say timmons is a first rounder and kalil is a second rounder?? you said you would take kalil over timmons anyday so i don't get why you put that, cause it has nothing to do with anything

**** mangold, you don't pass up on a playmaker for a center, mangold wouldn't have made a game winning touchdown, we got good depth at center, okobi will do fine......and kalil is soft, he isn't gonna be good...... or he ain't gonna be any better then what we already have....

what's the point of bringing up those 3 centers?? i know we've had great centers, but you are acting like they are so hard to find....... and hartings helps my point that you can plug anyone there and they'll be great, he wasn't even a center before coming here

but go ahead, you follow "experts" opinions, i'll base my opinion on what the steelers do since they seem to know more about what's going on then your so called experts........

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
why do you say timmons is a first rounder and kalil is a second rounder?? you said you would take kalil over timmons anyday so i don't get why you put that, cause it has nothing to do with anything

but go ahead, you follow "experts" opinions, i'll base my opinion on what the steelers do since they seem to know more about what's going on then your so called experts........you know "hateritis" can lead to an increased lack of judgement and decreased reading comprehension, right? if you would have actually read my post instead of immediately flying off the handle in an anti usc tirade you would see nobody said they would take kalil (or jarrett) over timmons.
i dont know why the jets would deal with carolina instead of us. probably cause were more of an immediate threat being in the afc but trading up to 15 instead of 14 may have been slightly cheaper.

i even said we could still land timmons in the spot carolina traded to and got beason PLUS one of the other players carolina landed. fact is, if you can get and additional player in the 2nd round with 1st round grades AND has the potential to be a 10 year starter in the league, with minimal risk of losing the player you initially have targeted you do it, regardless if one fan thinks said players are fags or "soft little bitches". im sure thats exactly what the steelers had on them in their scouting reports :lol: (i'll stick with the knowledge of "my experts", one of whom happens to be kevin colbert who said the steelers were looking to trade down and acquire additional picks. - thanks)

and dont catch feelings like somebodys calling you names.:nono: i simply implied that you were posting like you drank the haterade like the typical aggie fan has for the longhorns. you should be able to understand that.

so again, its quite simple. the jets shoulda traded with us cause chances are we wouldve been able to most likely still land timmons with their pick, and worst case scenario take Beason (just like carolina did), plus we woulda had an additional 2nd rounder to take another player with a 1st round grade. i used carolinas picks of 2 usc guys cause that is the perfect example of how the trade went down, not cause i got a hard on for usc players.

Koopa
05-01-2007, 06:28 PM
you keep calling me a hater, but yet i wanted steve smith in the later rounds, and yet i wanted lendale white last year before i knew he was a fat slob, and last i checked them two guys played for USC, so i don't get where you are calling me a hater...... now if we were talking about osu then i would say ok i'm a hater, but i can't hate on a team that is no competition to my longhorns.......

and the trade you are talking about isn't so easy, if you would think with logic, you would probably come up with that they didn't want to trade with a conference rival, and maybe the steelers did have revis above timmons on their draft board so they probably wouldn't have done it in the first place

and why you do you want a center so bad??? you act like it's a huge need, but the ppl that actually run the team don't feel it's a big need if they did they would've drafted kalil before woodley if it was such a huge need........

colbert said those were options that they would explore, but it's easier said then done...... not every team is as stupid as the eagles that will trade with threats to them

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 06:58 PM
you keep calling me a hater, but yet i wanted steve smith in the later rounds, and yet i wanted lendale white last year before i knew he was a fat slob, and last i checked them two guys played for USC, so i don't get where you are calling me a hater...... now if we were talking about osu then i would say ok i'm a hater, but i can't hate on a team that is no competition to my longhorns.......

and the trade you are talking about isn't so easy, if you would think with logic, you would probably come up with that they didn't want to trade with a conference rival, and maybe the steelers did have revis above timmons on their draft board so they probably wouldn't have done it in the first place

and why you do you want a center so bad??? you act like it's a huge need, but the ppl that actually run the team don't feel it's a big need if they did they would've drafted kalil before woodley if it was such a huge need........

colbert said those were options that they would explore, but it's easier said then done...... not every team is as stupid as the eagles that will trade with threats to themmaking a trade on draft day isnt that hard. you just gotta have the balls to pull the trigger and colbert has those balls.

i never said i wanted a center so bad. i'll say it for a THIRD time. i used jarrett/kalil because they were the players carolina had available to them in the 2nd round. they are the players who were picked within the parameters of the trade we are discussing.

you wouldnt take kalil for next to nothing? thats exactly what carolina did. he was a free player for carolinas trouble of moving down and drafting a player many thought they would take with the 14th pick anyways. dallass did the EXACT same thing with anthony spencer. they had spencers name written on the card to turn into the commish with the 22nd pick. for their troubles they acquired a free 1st rounder next year and still turned in the same card for spencer with the pick they acquired from philly (read p. kings mmqb for this week).

so we're at a crossroads. you wouldnt take kalil for free and i would (hell i wouldnt even bitch if we used a free 2nd rounder to gamble on a player like m. bush! its free! no risk= no reward. no balls = no glory)

what is the upside of kalil? just like n. mangold, they are gonna come in and be capable of starting from day 1 and be permanent fixtures for their team for the next 10-12 years. what would i do if i got kalil? cut okolbi to save his $2 mil cap hit (money that could potentially be used for free agents such as troy or faneca). i can see why people are so in love with okolbi, but his money could be much better served elsewhere if we got a 10 year starter for free. okolbi has been a career back up to this point. guaranteed you wont see that with kalil.

Koopa
05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
it's not fair to call chuk wun that cause he came here in a bad situation, they drafted him to replace someone that everyone thought was done, but hartings kept fighting and coming back, i'm sure if hartings would've given up a while back chuk wun would be our permanent starter until he retired with no complaints from fans

i understand what you are saying about getting kalil or jarrett for pretty much nothing, but what if the article is telling the truth and we really wanted revis?? that's probably one of the big reasons it wasn't so easy for us to trade with the jets because if the article is right they had to jump in front of us.....and after revis, there was no player left on the board worth it for other teams to trade to the 15th spot, for us to get extra picks and i seriously doubt the browns would've traded with us to get quinn........

but after this year, this man will have all of us saying mangold and kalil who??
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/lucmclend20/925619729_l.jpg

okiesteeler
05-01-2007, 07:27 PM
koopa you make great arguments except for the part where you substitute the word my for the appropriate word (worthless) in regards to the Longhorns. :D

K Train
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
I dont think we "coveted" Revis or Carriker as much as they make you think. We move up to get our guys when we need to. I think had carriker been there we wouldve taken him because of his value at the 15th spot, i still think hes a scrub and i would hate tomlin for drafting him but if we wanted him we would have him right now because we are aggressive drafters.

Kalil sucks, he really isnt that great...Mangold was great, kalil is garbage compared to mangold.

Why would you want jarrett so much? hes weak....couldnt see him goin over the middle or throwing a block....he has obvious skill but he shouldve stayed at school.

Beason is WAY to small to fit in with us...he is a permanent cover 2 linebacker who would suck *** in a 3-4.

I think timmons was our guy all along

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I dont think we "coveted" Revis or Carriker as much as they make you think. We move up to get our guys when we need to. I think had carriker been there we wouldve taken him because of his value at the 15th spot, i still think hes a scrub and i would hate tomlin for drafting him but if we wanted him we would have him right now because we are aggressive drafters.

Kalil sucks, he really isnt that great...Mangold was great, kalil is garbage compared to mangold.

Why would you want jarrett so much? hes weak....couldnt see him goin over the middle or throwing a block....he has obvious skill but he shouldve stayed at school.

Beason is WAY to small to fit in with us...he is a permanent cover 2 linebacker who would suck *** in a 3-4.

I think timmons was our guy all along

I'm with you on Beason. I really didn't want Beason at all. I think he is a good player but he wouldn't fit in our defense at all. Were Timmons can play OLB or ILB. Plus overtime become the MLB in our Dime Defense just like Greg Lloyd used to be.

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 08:04 PM
it's not fair to call chuk wun that cause he came here in a bad situation, they drafted him to replace someone that everyone thought was done, but hartings kept fighting and coming back, i'm sure if hartings would've given up a while back chuk wun would be our permanent starter until he retired with no complaints from fans

i understand what you are saying about getting kalil or jarrett for pretty much nothing, but what if the article is telling the truth and we really wanted revis?? that's probably one of the big reasons it wasn't so easy for us to trade with the jets because if the article is right they had to jump in front of us.....and after revis, there was no player left on the board worth it for other teams to trade to the 15th spot, for us to get extra picks and i seriously doubt the browns would've traded with us to get quinn........

but after this year, this man will have all of us saying mangold and kalil who??
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/lucmclend20/925619729_l.jpgkeep in mind that free pick coulda also been used for blaylock who i really wanted. if the steelers has such a hard on for revis it is a shame, cause going by my same premise, i would much rather trade revis to the jets if it would land us, timmons/beason and blaylock with the free 2nd.

steelers mgmt. realizes this is much better value and are too smart to be married to 1 pick before the draft even starts. unfortunatley their bluff didnt work. it was designed to have teams such as the jets, saints, jags, possibly try to outbid eachother for revis. jets one upped us and struck a deal with carolina.

i mean i like revis but not as much as 2 potential starters who help our cap situation and take care of future cap problems down the road. i have all the faith in okolbi, but i know the steelers cant leave any stone unturned when we are faced with losing high priced veterans, whereas teams like the patriots have multiple 1st round picks and can sighn high priced free agents at will.

K Train
05-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Beason is a good player, he just would fail in our system...timmons was the obvious choice....any with getting timmons we dont have a transisition time a college DE would have (most of the time, sometimes they fit right in).....what i mean is hes accustomed to rushing the passer, stuffing the run, covering backs and LBers....i think he could be great with us...not to mention hes a vicious hitter.

I would probably take willis over timmons, but im real happy with the pick, hes very versitile

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Beason is a good player, he just would fail in our system...timmons was the obvious choice....any with getting timmons we dont have a transisition time a college DE would have (most of the time, sometimes they fit right in).....what i mean is hes accustomed to rushing the passer, stuffing the run, covering backs and LBers....i think he could be great with us...not to mention hes a vicious hitter.

I would probably take willis over timmons, but im real happy with the pick, hes very versitile

Before the draft I would have said Willis over Timmons for sure. Since I like Willis alot and I still think he is going to be a very good LB. But the more I read about Lawrence Timmons the more I like him. So right now I don't know who I rather have. Both are going to be good players and make plays all over the field.