PDA

View Full Version : CNN/SI Season Predictions

Hawk Believer
08-29-2006, 07:40 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/scout.report/index.html

They've got your Steelers going 12-4, getting a bye, and losing their first playoff game. My Seahawks share the same playoff fate. The Panthers take the Dolphins in the SB.

Can't say I agree. But these are always fun to look at right now. And again in January.

AZ_Steeler
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Are you kidding me... The Dolphins? I could see the Panthers but not the Dolphins... they haven't improved that much!

Seahawks and Steelers will both make it to their Conference Championship Game (CCG)... IMO

Anybody see who's on the cover of SI NFL Preview??? SI Curse heading Porter's and the Steelers way...

SteelerDan43
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Havent they said the Panthers would win for like the last 3 years in a row?

Hawk Believer
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Havent they said the Panthers would win for like the last 3 years in a row?
They did pick the Panthers last year. I think SI figures that there will always be a surprise team that makes a deep playoff run. Which is true. So they tend to pic a non-sequitor team to do well. But the trouble with picking those surprise teams is that they are by their very nature hard to pick (that was about the most obvious statement I have written in a long time). I think eash year SI throws a dart and picks out an OK team to be this years sleeper. And they are almost always wrong.

But one of these years they are going to get a surprise prediction right and they are never going to let us forget....

shimmysteelerfan
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
if dante couldnt do it with the vikings what makes them think he has a better chance with dolphins.....pure garbage!

suitanim
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll tell you exactly why this is all wrong. Except for the AFC East, which is still the weakest conference in the AFC, they have this all broken down as "Have's and have nots". The exception that shows the foolishness is the NFC East. All 4 teams go 9-7? Nonsense!

The Pats won't win 11.
The Jets won't win 5
The Bengals will finish higher than the Rats
The Giants and Cowboys will have at least 10 wins a piece
The Cards will win at least 8 games

I do think the Seahawks will break "The curse", but it's finally time to believe the hype about the Panthers.

House of Steel
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Steelers and the Panthers for Super Bowl XLI.

THE STEELERS WILL REPEAT!!!

Sport Illustrated is ran by a bunch of Chimps.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
I could most definately see a Steelers / Panthers SB. The thing that worries me about the panthers is their lack of depth at RB. Deshaun Foster is as injury prone as they come. Their defense is top notch and now they have someone to help take the heat off Steve, by picking up Keshawn.

The dolphins don't have the complete package yet, sorry but there's no way you'll see them in the SB in 2006. They're starting to put some pieces of the puzzle together but it'll take some time.

Hawk Believer
08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
I could most definately see a Steelers / Panthers SB. The thing that worries me about the panthers is their lack of depth at RB. Deshaun Foster is as injury prone as they come. Their defense is top notch and now they have someone to help take the heat off Steve, by picking up Keshawn.

The dolphins don't have the complete package yet, sorry but there's no way you'll see them in the SB in 2006. They're starting to put some pieces of the puzzle together but it'll take some time.
I have a really hard time judging the Panthers after the NFC championship. Delhome just wilted and Smith was AWOL. But they of course were playing with their 3rd and 4th string running back. What I don't get is how they lit up the vaunted Bear defense the week before (I suspect that game said more about the Bears being a little overated than it did about the Panther's offense).

Having a healthy RB and adding Keyshawn will make them a very different team than the one that came to Seattle. But I do question Delhome's ability to sustain his A-game through the whole playoffs. I agree that RB durability is a big questionmark. And I wonder how Smith and Johnson will be able to keep their egos in check while in the same sandbox. I think they will be fine while they are winning. But guys like that can be cancerous when a team faces adversity. And its rare for an NFL team to go through a season without hitting some adverse situations.
And that is why the Panthers will definately be a team I will follow closely this season.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Good post :yesnod:

Steve Smith has an ego the size of Keyshawn's, I agree, so it will be interesting to see which one starts complaining first. Whichever gets the double team constantly Im sure will start griping. If Foster can stay healthy this team will be very dangerous; if he can't, they'll make it to the playoffs and then falter again because they can't run the ball.

House of Steel
08-30-2006, 12:49 AM
You both kind of forgotten, The Panthers drafted a major Touchdown machine out of college football, DeAngelo Williams. I guarantee you, this boy is going to be the new starting running back and LOOK OUT!!! I often wonder how Keyshawn and Steve are going to get along.

Hawk Believer
08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
You both kind of forgotten, The Panthers drafted a major Touchdown machine out of college football, DeAngelo Williams. I guarantee you, this boy is going to be the new starting running back and LOOK OUT!!! I often wonder how Keyshawn and Steve are going to get along.
Good point. What's the report on DeAngelo? Is he expected to get touches in the opener?

EDIT:I just googled him. Funny, two articles from a Carolina newspaper showed up on one link. The headline from Aug 20 was "Williams fails to Turn Heads So Far." Then on Aug 24th, the article was boout how he had secured the return job after a 98 yard return in a preseason game. I guess he has turned some heads.

I wonder if he is a sharp enough guy to know the offense well enough to take over on RB if needed this season. I don't know much about the man.

House of Steel
08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Just in the last pre-season game, he returned a kickoff 98 yards. He is about to become the new Kick Returner for the Panthers. He suppose to share the backfield with Foster. I think he is going to swing into the starting grid since Foster is so injury prone.

Steelersfan
08-30-2006, 01:22 AM
The Panthers get picked every year because they have a very good team. problem is they haven't been healthy. They will be a force in the NFC "if" they stay injury free.

I love them picking the whole NFC East to go 9-7!! I keep telling a friend of mine who likes the Redskins that the NFC East teams will all be 8-8!

I do think the Vikings will be far better than 6-10 and the Jaguars should get at least 10 wins with the D they have.

Prosdo
08-30-2006, 04:46 AM
I have to agree I just don't see the Dolphins making it to the Super Bowl. I think they need some more time to get everything together.

House of Steel
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
The Redskins??? I don't think they will manage 8-8. Maybe, 7-9. They have too many egos on that teams along with bulging ego sitting on top of the team with a fat wallet of his. I am telling you, I love to sucker punch Dan Synder for all he is. He has no business being in the NFL. I can't wait to see the Salary Cap Hell unfold for them. It is going to get real ugly in Washingto real quick. Antwann is an idiot for going there. WAY OVERPAID!!!

AZ_Steeler
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
The Redskins??? I don't think they will manage 8-8. Maybe, 7-9. They have too many egos on that teams along with bulging ego sitting on top of the team with a fat wallet of his. I am telling you, I love to sucker punch Dan Synder for all he is. He has no business being in the NFL. I can't wait to see the Salary Cap Hell unfold for them. It is going to get real ugly in Washingto real quick. Antwann is an idiot for going there. WAY OVERPAID!!!

Very well stated Maniac! Brunell had a pretty good year last year, but all these old timers seem to have one last heroic gasp at then end that makes you think they still have some left in the tank. Brunell hasn't done a thing this year and probably won't be starter just after mid season.

House of Steel
08-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I think if John Fox was wise, he would start DeAngelo Williams at RB since Foster is so injury prone, I guarantee you, he would be the difference maker along with Keyshawn to push this team into the NFC Championship. Arizona is going to be the surprising team of the NFL this season with a loaded arsenal on offense, but their defense is suspecting and mysterious, but the NFC is weak compared to the AFC. I am running my hopes into the NFC North's Chicago Bears, a great defense, but their offense is a question mark pending the health of Rex Grossman. They got a reliable backup in Brian Griese.

Cincinnati is going to give us a run for our money, I will be honest, they could make a wild card appearance again.

Miami is another team on the bubble, either 9-7. 8-8, or 7-9 is the possible record.

New England is history on the playoff runs.

San Diego might make the AFC West Title
Miami might make the AFC East Title
Pittsburgh with the AFC North Title
Indianapolis with the AFC South Title

NFC EAST is a wide open race--I am going with Philadelphia on this one
NFC NORTH--Chicago Bears
NFC WEST-- Arizona Cardinals, why? Larry Fitzgerald and Aquain Bolden for one thing, and then the new acquistion, Edgerrin James.
NFC South--Carolina Panthers

AFC:
1. Pittsburgh
2. Indianapolis
3. San Diego
4. Miami

Wild Cards:
5. Cincinnati
6. Denver

NFC:
1. Carolina
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Arizona

Wild Cards:
5. Seattle
6. Tampa Bay

Wild Card Playoffs:
AFC: Cincinnati over San Diego
Denver over Miami

NFC: Chicago over Seattle
Arizona over Tampa Bay

Divisional Playoffs:
AFC: Pittsburgh over Cincinnati
Indianapolis over Denver

NFC: Carolina over Chicago (very close game by a FG)
Philadelphia over Arizona

Championship Games:

AFC: Pittsburgh over Indianapolis
NFC: Carolina over Philadelphia

Super Bowl XLI:
Pittsburgh over Carolina 27-13