PDA

View Full Version : Will Timmons push Haggans out of the starting role ?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Now that we have our LB in the 1st round, even though it's not Spencer ;) Is Haggans job in trouble now, or will Timmons sit and wait for a bit before he really gets significant playing time.

At this point Haggans / Harrison will be our 2 starting LB's this season IMO, but if Timmons does well in camp and Im sure he'll play in ST some as well he could work his way onto the field more and maybe push for more playing time. :crossfingers:

House of Steel
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
This is going to make for an intresting training camp for sure. I think your right, Matt. You got some very good valid points. :bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
It will start in camp but even if he doesn't start right away, he'll work his way in early in the season and that will be that.

BlackGold4vr
04-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Does a bear **** in the woods?

If Timmons shows up to camp Haggans job should be his to take.......:lol:

BBC
04-28-2007, 05:53 PM
It's Haggans job to lose at this point, but I'm sure Timmons will eventually take the starting job, maybe not this season though.

BB2W
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I hope so... Haggans never impressed me. A lot of his sacks are slop... rarely because he beat his man clean. I think I have more faith in Harrison at this point.

When he first broke the line-up he made some plays, but never been big on Haggans... :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Now that we have our LB in the 1st round, even though it's not Spencer ;) Is Haggans job in trouble now, or will Timmons sit and wait for a bit before he really gets significant playing time.

At this point Haggans / Harrison will be our 2 starting LB's this season IMO, but if Timmons does well in camp and Im sure he'll play in ST some as well he could work his way onto the field more and maybe push for more playing time. :crossfingers:

No but I think he will keep both Haggans and Harrison fresher. He can be the backup to both and give them some rest from time to time. Hopefully he learns the playbook quick and we see him on the field early on in the season.

House of Steel
04-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Harrison and Timmons at outside would make a scary vision for some QBs. That is nice to see and think about. :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 06:48 PM
He and Arnold Harrison are the prime backups now so atleast we're working on getting some of that depth back. I'd like to see us take 1 more LB in this draft, preferably before round 5 when players become more projects.

House of Steel
04-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Round 4 should garner another LB I hope. We need to pick up a RB in the Second or Third and a OL.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
He and Arnold Harrison are the prime backups now so atleast we're working on getting some of that depth back. I'd like to see us take 1 more LB in this draft, preferably before round 5 when players become more projects.

Another ILB would be nice. Not much depth behind Farrior and Foote. Only Rian Wallace really and we don't know to much about him.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I think if Arnold Harrison gets healthy he can be a force as a backup, and I agree we need some more depth in the middle because Kreidwalt is a beast ST but lacks on the base defense.

Stlrs4Life
04-28-2007, 11:38 PM
More than likely. Just not right away.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Since we drafted Woodley becoming an OLB where's he going to fit in?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Woodley and Timmons will both play OLB for us. We now have 5 viable options to play that position with those 2, James Harrison, Arnold Harrison, and Haggans. We'll only keep 4 at that position so someone will be the odd man out most likely.

The good thing is both draft picks can also play a rush end in the 43 too if we want them too.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
do you think Timmons and Woodley will both start on the field next year I think Timmons will over Haggans but I'm sure about Woodley over Harrison I would like to see how Harrison does but I want to see how Woodley does.

Koopa
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
do you think Timmons and Woodley will both start on the field next year I think Timmons will over Haggans but I'm sure about Woodley over Harrison I would like to see how Harrison does but I want to see how Woodley does.

woodley was drafted to play on haggans side of the ball.......... harrison will start, haggans will start at the beginning............ timmons and woodley will play a lot on special teams..........

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
i didnt like what A. Harrison showed last year....dont bet on him making the roster

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
woodley was drafted to play on haggans side of the ball.......... harrison will start, haggans will start at the beginning............ timmons and woodley will play a lot on special teams..........

timmons might start....maybe, but i expect both of them to get alot of playing time this year

Koopa
04-29-2007, 10:06 PM
timmons might start....maybe, but i expect both of them to get alot of playing time this year

i don't think so, i think james harrison is gonna come out ****ing ppl up, and timmons is going to be his back up, and woodley is gonna be haggans back up, they'll both get plenty of playing time, because tomlin wants to keep the starters fresh....... but that's how it's gonna go........ just read the interviews :lol:

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:08 PM
yeah but tomlin loves timmons....just dont be surprised, tomlin wont be afraid to start these guys if they are better than our older guys....he isnt cowher.

Linebackers come in and tear it up every year, dont be surprised

Koopa
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
i understand he won't be afraid to start them, however, i think james is gonna come out ****ing ppl up and that won't give timmons that chance to start over him, and haggans might just get it cause woodely ain't ready to start, he was brought in to play special teams and back up haggans on the left side because he's bigger then timmons..........

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
i understand he won't be afraid to start them, however, i think james is gonna come out ****ing ppl up and that won't give timmons that chance to start over him, and haggans might just get it cause woodely ain't ready to start, he was brought in to play special teams and back up haggans on the left side because he's bigger then timmons..........

why would that matter?

Koopa
04-29-2007, 10:15 PM
why would that matter?

because apparently that's the strong side, and you have to bigger on the side, just read the interviews from yesterday, i'm just telling exactly what tomlin and colbert said.........

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Well if thats the strong side we should let sep get some reps at LOLB lol

but i still expect them both to play....one of them to start eventually this year especially is haggans is still a bum.

I think harrison will be a beast, and i already know timmons is gonna be an animal....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2007, 11:51 PM
If you're the ROLB then you're facing the LT which is normally the strong side because that's the one that protects the QB's blind side. LaMarr is very adept at playing with his hand down and flat out rushing the passer so he'll do well to take over for Haggans when he gets the chance.

I think James is going to come out on fire too, which will put Timmons in the backup role atleast for now but overall it's going to be an all out war in out LB corp.

K Train
04-30-2007, 12:00 AM
If you're the ROLB then you're facing the LT which is normally the strong side because that's the one that protects the QB's blind side. LaMarr is very adept at playing with his hand down and flat out rushing the passer so he'll do well to take over for Haggans when he gets the chance.

I think James is going to come out on fire too, which will put Timmons in the backup role atleast for now but overall it's going to be an all out war in out LB corp.

ok i know the ROLB goes against the LT, Porter was our ROLB....ok i get that, but koopa was saying woodley will play on the left which is haggans side because hes bigger which doesnt make sense unless your anticipating a TE there all the time...to be honest, all of our LBs are interchangeable except maybe foote so it doenst matter lol

Koopa
04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
ok i know the ROLB goes against the LT, Porter was our ROLB....ok i get that, but koopa was saying woodley will play on the left which is haggans side because hes bigger which doesnt make sense unless your anticipating a TE there all the time...to be honest, all of our LBs are interchangeable except maybe foote so it doenst matter lol

again, i'm not saying it, tomlin and colbert are saying it, go to steelers.com and read the interviews............

K Train
04-30-2007, 12:14 AM
again, i'm not saying it, tomlin and colbert are saying it, go to steelers.com and read the interviews............

lol i know, **** steelers.com that why i have you guys

im just trying to figure out why, or if they are just talking out there asses lol

steelcurtaingal
04-30-2007, 08:01 AM
i think haggans and harrison will start, but i see timmons getting alot of starting time too. i thhink training camp will really determine who gets the starting job.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I read somewhere that Haggans and Harrison may switch sides this year, but I can't remember where that freekin link is :scratch:

Koopa
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I read somewhere that Haggans and Harrison may switch sides this year, but I can't remember where that freekin link is :scratch:

yeah, that's what's gonna happen, i would've said it last night, but i couldn't keep my eyes open and i felt like **** so i just gave up and went to sleep lol...... in that interview they said haggans will be playing on the right side.......

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I just cant wait to see how this season plays out. I found a link to Timmons on CBS Sportsline that talks about him and I found this rather interesting

Timmons earned all-state first-team accolades in 2004 after amassing more than 150 tackles and two sacks on defense, and also caught 47 passes for more than 800 yards and five touchdowns as a senior tight end. He added all-state honors as a junior tight end with 42 catches for 680 yards and 14 touchdowns while also recording 95 tackles and four sacks.

Timmons used to be a TE? Could he possibly (even though we have several already) be used in that role. Possibly as a pass receiving lineman on a trick play or something?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/520021

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
No starting jobs is set on D short of the inside backers, the Front 3 and Troy!!! I think when we get to camp you're gonna see Tomlin be put between a rock and hard place when it comes to the depth chart. Which is a GREAT thing. As far as the linebackers go Timmons is accustomed to playing exactly where porter was. Haggans is going to have to play his *** off in the early going to keep his starting job. Woodley lives in the backfield on RUN and PASS plays. Unlike Haggans who really only excels when he is trying to be blocked by a RB on 3rd and a mile. I think Woodley will have better success against T's and will dominate RB's off the edge. I wouldnt be suprised if Woodley came in and played the majority of the 3rd downs, with his hand down instead of the roles Haggans and Peezy played in the Dime/Nickle packages. I think you will see ALOT of Silverback, Woodley and Timmons this year and dont be suprised if Woodley has the most success!!!

MY FIRST JERSEY THIS YEAR LaMarr Woodley!!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah, that's what's gonna happen, i would've said it last night, but i couldn't keep my eyes open and i felt like **** so i just gave up and went to sleep lol...... in that interview they said haggans will be playing on the right side.......

If thats the case i think that they are REALLY trying to phase Haggans out and work Timmons in EARLY, then Silverback and Woodley will be spelling each other while they get more experienced!!! I LOVE it!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Haggans did pretty well in his first year as a starter but after that he was mediocre at best. Occasionally he'd have a big day but overall he seemed to get lost all to often.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Haggans did pretty well in his first year as a starter but after that he was mediocre at best. Occasionally he'd have a big day but overall he seemed to get lost all to often.

Agreed, like i said he has VERY little success against Tackles, he makes his money when a subpar blocking rb trys to block him, but if you're gonna be a STEELER OLB you should ALLWAYS dominate ANY Back trying to pick you up on a blitz, and Haggans is about 50/50!!! I think his time is limited here!!!

ARKIESTEEL
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
One thing for sure is the young guys will push the older guys to do better and try harder.:cope:

steelcurtaingal
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
One thing for sure is the young guys will push the older guys to do better and try harder.:cope:

competition is always a good thing. it will dirve our older players to play all the harder.

BlackGold4vr
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Agreed, like i said he has VERY little success against Tackles, he makes his money when a subpar blocking rb trys to block him, but if you're gonna be a STEELER OLB you should ALLWAYS dominate ANY Back trying to pick you up on a blitz, and Haggans is about 50/50!!! I think his time is limited here!!!

:plus1:

When you couple the average performance with the large salary cap hit you can be sure that this will be Haggans last year in black and gold. Unless he has an enormous year and becomes a beast like we have not seen from him in the past......I don't see it happening. He is a 4 mil cap hit. Enjoy your last year in Pittsburgh Clarke!

It's not personal, it's economics! If we could resign Faneca for 4 mil that would already be a done deal. The contribution must be equal to or better than the cost to the team, in Clarke's case it's not.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I was happy when we originally resigned Clarke to a new deal because all indications were that he was going to be a beast working with Joey..just didn't happen though :nonod: He's got all the physical tools and he's got good pass rush skills, or he did, but he just couldn't seem to take advantage of his opportunity to shine with Joey getting all the double teams.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I was happy when we originally resigned Clarke to a new deal because all indications were that he was going to be a beast working with Joey..just didn't happen though :nonod: He's got all the physical tools and he's got good pass rush skills, or he did, but he just couldn't seem to take advantage of his opportunity to shine with Joey getting all the double teams.

Well here is my take on Clark Haggans. I think he more effective as backup instead of a fulltime starter. I remember back in 2002, Clark Haggans had 6.5 sacks as a part time player. So hopefully the youth at OLB will help Haggans out. I expect Haggans to start but I think we will see Timmons and Woodley on the field. So Clark shouldn't have to take most of the snaps every game. That could keep him fresher as well along with James Harrison. Now if one of the young guys can show they're able to start by mid/late season then that could push Haggans back to his backup role. Which he is better suited for.

BlackGold4vr
05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Well here is my take on Clark Haggans. I think he more effective as backup instead of a fulltime starter. I remember back in 2002, Clark Haggans had 6.5 sacks as a part time player. So hopefully the youth at OLB will help Haggans out. I expect Haggans to start but I think we will see Timmons and Woodley on the field. So Clark shouldn't have to take most of the snaps every game. That could keep him fresher as well along with James Harrison. Now if one of the young guys can show they're able to start by mid/late season then that could push Haggans back to his backup role. Which he is better suited for.

If Haggans was willing to take a HUGE pay cut then that might be possible.

His 2007 salary is just under 2.5 mil and he has a roster bonus of another 1.5 which takes his total cap hit up over 4 mil for this season. No doubt that there are many LB's throughout the league who perform at a higher level for less money. Nobody pays backups that much money.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Those stats as a part time player were what got me so excited to see him in the starting role but he hasn't been the same really since. I agree he'd make an outstanding backup but I can't imagine he'll take that big of a paycut when there's teams in the league that could use him and would pay him atleast that much to leave us.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
If Haggans was willing to take a HUGE pay cut then that might be possible.

His 2007 salary is just under 2.5 mil and he has a roster bonus of another 1.5 which takes his total cap hit up over 4 mil for this season. No doubt that there are many LB's throughout the league who perform at a higher level for less money. Nobody pays backups that much money.

I was talking about this year. I don't see Haggans in the plans next year at all not unless if he does take a huge paycut.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Those stats as a part time player were what got me so excited to see him in the starting role but he hasn't been the same really since. I agree he'd make an outstanding backup but I can't imagine he'll take that big of a paycut when there's teams in the league that could use him and would pay him atleast that much to leave us.

Some players are just better suited for part time roles. I would say Cowher should have known that but hey he is gone so no need in bringing him up anymore. I focused on the future of this team.

As for Haggans next year. I was talking about his year and don't really see him in the plans for next year. I think the drafting of Timmons/Woodley was the writing on the wall for Clark Haggans.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I think so as well, with that salary cap hit and his under achieving play unless he has a pro bowl year he'll probably not be back.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
TIMMONS
FOOTE
FARRIOR
WOODLEY