PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 1st Round Pick - 2007 - Lawrence Timmons LB FSU

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the Black N Gold !! We've got our new great OLB !!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Check out the homepage for a link (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/timmons_lawrence) to his bio..

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I really like this pick.

House of Steel
Lawrence Timmons WELCOME TO THE BURGH BABY!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Koopa
**** yeah, i am so f'king happy, we got who i wanted down the stretch, and who i've said for the last couple of weeks that he's a lock.......

tomlin starts off on the right foot

BB2W
Welcome to Pittsburgh Timmons... he was on most of our radars. :redcool:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
This is awesome, we got our LB in round 1 !

Blitzburgh55
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Woot Im Glad we didnt get Spencer:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
The Steelers reached for a need. They could have traded down and drafted Timmons. Plus get ready for a hold out Steelers Nation from a Drew Rosenhaus client. His first round clients are known to holdout.

I just hope Timmons becomes a beast. I hope he gets his *** in camp on time and can contribute from the jump. That is going to be huge for this upcoming year. We need big improvement in our pass rush and Timmons is now a key for that. So here is to a great career and I hope Lawrence Timmons becomes the next great Steelers LB. One good thing though there shouldn't be any coverage concerns since Timmons is a true LB. When drafting former DE and turning them into LB there is always coverage concerns with them.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM
The main thing he's going to need to work on is getting that separation in traffic and being able to shed blocks. If he can upgrade his game there he'll be damn good!

Koopa
04-28-2007, 04:32 PM
i don't think it's a reach, it's not so easy to trade, ppl act like it is, but some teams are dick heads and want to **** you on a trade, and the steelers were probably trying to **** someone or where going to get ****ed.......so it's easier said then done.......... and it isn't a reach, timmons is a great talent......and you put to much stock in his agent, you act like we've never had a player with drew as his agent............

Iron City South
04-28-2007, 04:55 PM
NFL bio shows him at 6'3" which is a flat out lie. Timmons is 6'1" 232 lbs.

Hburg
04-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Good, I am happy to hear the D-line is getting built up with another addition.

BuFu

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Lawrence Timmons
Height: 6-07/8 | Weight: 234 | 40-Time: 4.59

Official Bio

Strengths:
Outstanding natural athlete...Great speed and quickness...Explosive with a burst to close...Has the frame to get add weight and he plays big...An outstanding pass rusher...Has fluid hips and is excellent in coverage...Versatile and could play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme...Vicious hitter and tackler...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Is physical and aggressive...A playmaker who is always around the ball...Still has a ton of potential and there is really no telling just how good he may ultimately be.

Weaknesses:
Has only one year of starting experience...Raw and needs work from a technique standpoint...Has some trouble shedding blocks and he doesn't use his hands all that well...May lack ideal instincts and awareness due to inexperience...Needs to continue bulking up and getting stronger...Will get by on his athleticism at times.

Notes:
Was overshadowed by the likes of Ernie Sims, Buster Davis and A.J. Nicholson for most of his college career...Finally got a chance to start in '06 and made the most of the opportunity...Rare physical specimen who just might eventually be a better player than Sims, a former #9 overall pick...Upside is the key word because he is not a finished product but if he lives up to that promise this guy could be special.

Link: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/lawrencetimmons.html

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
i don't think it's a reach, it's not so easy to trade, ppl act like it is, but some teams are dick heads and want to **** you on a trade, and the steelers were probably trying to **** someone or where going to get ****ed.......so it's easier said then done.......... and it isn't a reach, timmons is a great talent......and you put to much stock in his agent, you act like we've never had a player with drew as his agent............

We never drafted a player in the first round represented by Drew Rosenhaus. His track record of first round picks holding out speaks for itself. We had Verron Haynes and Dookie Davenport represented by Rosenhaus. Not earth shattering names there Koopa. How much leverage do players like Dookie and Haynes have? Not much since they're not big name players.

Teams trade down all the time so they could have done it if they wanted to and selected Timmons. Its just my opinion which I'm entitled to. I didn't blast the pick and say **** Timmons like you do when you don't always agree with something.:bluelol: **** so get off my back.

Just thought I would put some input on what I thought could be some question marks on this pick. I like the pick overall and think he has talent. I never said he didn't have talent. Just felt the overall value didn't match the 15th pick.

Koopa
04-28-2007, 05:09 PM
who would've you have taken then??? like i said it's easier said then done to trade.....maybe the steelers want to keep all their picks so didn't want to trade...... so who would you have picked there to get value????? i just think brining in his agent is a dumb thing to do even if it is your opinion.......... i didn't see anyone on the board that would have been better for us...........and again a trade is easier said then done

BB2W
04-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I gotta say... I'm not thrilled with having a guy represented by Drew Rosenhaus. :2cents:

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Ditto BB2W, but I think it will work out.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
who would've you have taken then??? like i said it's easier said then done to trade.....maybe the steelers want to keep all their picks so didn't want to trade...... so who would you have picked there to get value????? i just think brining in his agent is a dumb thing to do even if it is your opinion.......... i didn't see anyone on the board that would have been better for us...........and again a trade is easier said then done

Trade down and the Steelers get more picks and still draft Timmons. Thats a win situation to me. Getting the player you wanted and adding draft picks. Bringing his agent into it isn't dumb. Teams all the time look at a players agent when looking how easy it will be to sign that player. The Steelers are going to be in some interesting conversations with Rosenhaus. It could be a long and nasty holdout. Hopefully not but Rosenhaus track record speaks for itself.

I'm done with this topic. I'm not going to change my mind and you're not going to change yours. I don't want to try to change your mind. I just said my piece on this. I just hope Timmons gets his *** in camp on time and has a kick *** year. We need him bigtime. He is key for this year even as a rookie. I know that sounds crazy but I'm not thrilled with the pass rush on our team and Timmons can help that bigtime.:bigthumb:

BB2W
04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
If Timmons turns out to be a heck of a player... we won't be able to re-sign him at the end of his first contract. The fact that he's from a Florida school and he is represented by Drew Rosenhaus will raise his price beyond what the Steelers are going to be willing to pay.

:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 05:37 PM
If Timmons turns out to be a heck of a player... we won't be able to re-sign him at the end of his first contract. The fact that he's from a Florida school and he is represented by Drew Rosenhaus will raise his price beyond what the Steelers are going to be willing to pay.

:2cents:

I agree totally he won't resign with the Steelers after his rookie contract is up.:bigthumb: At least that won't be until 5 or 6 years down the road though.

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 05:37 PM
That does worry me a bit.

Koopa
04-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Trade down and the Steelers get more picks and still draft Timmons. Thats a win situation to me. Getting the player you wanted and adding draft picks. Bringing his agent into it isn't dumb. Teams all the time look at a players agent when looking how easy it will be to sign that player. The Steelers are going to be in some interesting conversations with Rosenhaus. It could be a long and nasty holdout. Hopefully not but Rosenhaus track record speaks for itself.

I'm done with this topic. I'm not going to change my mind and you're not going to change yours. I don't want to try to change your mind. I just said my piece on this. I just hope Timmons gets his *** in camp on time and has a kick *** year. We need him bigtime. He is key for this year even as a rookie. I know that sounds crazy but I'm not thrilled with the pass rush on our team and Timmons can help that bigtime.:bigthumb:

again, not so easy, who was there for ppl that was worth moving down?? you're not thinking this through, cause the packers didn't pick anyone worth moving down, the jags moved up and the broncos moved down and got a player not worth moving to the 15th, the titans didn't get someone worth moving down for and so on and so on........... so it's easier said then done, cause there was no player worth it for other teams to lose picks to move to the 15th spot

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 05:51 PM
We're not afraid to pay LB's in the prime of their Career, look at the money Porter got in his last 2 deals. If Timmons works out and he wants to stay with us, it's not impossible for us to sign him. Once he gets into the Steeler mode and sees how much fun our defense is to play in and how great the city is that may change but we got him now and we need to get him in camp Pronto !!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Jamie Dukes on NFLN thinks Timmons is a great pick for us, calling him the best all around LB in the draft ! :woot:

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Can find video highlights here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft;_ylt=AlvFvZTGN1tAiLXtiL37yOhDubYF

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Jamie Dukes on NFLN thinks Timmons is a great pick for us, calling him the best all around LB in the draft ! :woot:

Oh, I agree he is a very good player and has a ton of talent. He just needs to ditch his agent.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 06:04 PM
That's it, ok already, I'll be his agent :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Video footage of Timmons..

Thanks Prosdo for the link... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft;_ylt=AlvFvZTGN1tAiLXtiL37yOhDubYF

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
In 5-6 years we'll have found his replacement, damn dude ain't played one down yet and I'm looking for someone to take his place. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 06:14 PM
In 5-6 years we'll have found his replacement, damn dude ain't played one down yet and I'm looking for someone to take his place. :lol:

Hey I always have an eye for the future of the Steelers. You can't just look at short term. You have to look at long term effects to.lol

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
With the way Timmons performed at his pro day and Rosenhaus apologizing to Tomlin saying he would be ready to play by camp, I wouldn't worry to much about any holdouts. :bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey I always have an eye for the future of the Steelers. You can't just look at short term. You have to look at long term effects to.lol

You're right bro, its never to early.

Prosdo
04-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I didn't think Saints would go WR.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I didn't either at first but it makes sense since Joe Horn is gone and Colston is really all they have now.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 06:22 PM
With the way Timmons performed at his pro day and Rosenhaus apologizing to Tomlin saying he would be ready to play by camp, I wouldn't worry to much about any holdouts. :bigthumb:

Dude, I like the pick overall. Never said I didn't. I just tend to look at all aspects of the pick. I hope he is a badass from the jump. We need him bigtime. We need to strike fear into the other teams QB and fix that pass rush.

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't think Saints would go WR.

I didn't either...I figured they would try and toughen up their secondary.

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Dude, I like the pick overall. Never said I didn't. I just tend to look at all aspects of the pick. I hope he is a badass from the jump. We need him bigtime. We need to strike fear into the other teams QB and fix that pass rush.

I know you like him, that **** just popped in my head about his pro day and the agent talk, figured I'd throw it out there. lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I know you like him, that **** just popped in my head about his pro day and the agent talk, figured I'd throw it out there. lol

I know Diesel. I'm just saying and trying to make it clear for the rest of everybody out there that I like Lawrence Timmons and hope he is the next great Steelers LB. I actually can't wait to watch the guy play ball this year.

DIESELMAN
04-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I know Diesel. I'm just saying and trying to make it clear for the rest of everybody out there that I like Lawrence Timmons and hope he is the next great Steelers LB. I actually can't wait to watch the guy play ball this year.

:plus1: I can't wait either!!

House of Steel
04-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I am with you two on this. I think Timmons is going to be a huge household name for us in Pittsburgh. I am excited.

bigrod
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I like both picks so far. I also like the quote I heard Tomlin say that he looks for guys that love the game and are not just players.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Here's what the Steelers are saying about Timmons..

Steelers Draft Notebook

Timmons was a target

The Steelers got a player they had been targeting when they took linebacker Lawrence Timmons in the first-round with the 15th pick overall in the NFL Draft.

"We had a group of about four or five guys with every mock draft that we went through, where it came down to those four or five guys that we came back to," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "We then took that group and prioritized them and it was unanimous that Lawrence Timmons was going to be that pick, if we got that group to pick from and we are very excited."

Timmons, who came out of Florida State after his junior year, is mainly an outside linebacker, but also can play inside and played on special teams in college.

"He is a guy that loves the game," said head coach Mike Tomlin. "He is very versatile. His skill set defies scheme, which is one of that things that have talked about. He is an outside backer, who is capable of playing off the line of scrimmage. He is capable of playing on the tight end. He has pass rush capabilities, but he also has the R-H factor. He is a runner and hitter and he is a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Tomlin likened some of Timmons abilities to those of Derrick Brooks, who played linebacker with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during Tomlin's time there.

"Brooks is one of the best linebackers to ever come from FSU," said Timmons. "He's a good athlete, and it feels good to have a comparison like that."

Timmons, who was watching the draft with family and friends, also impressed the Steelers with his off-field demeanor.

"He has a quiet confidence about him," said Colbert of the 20-year old. "He presents himself as a mature person, particularly from a football standpoint. He's a very grounded young man."

BB2W
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I love the selection of Timmons... I'm just curious how Woodley fits into the mix. I hope he plays with his hand down to help our hybrid. If not we are grooming two stud 3-4 outside linebackers.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I think either way it works out well for us. If they can both play in the 34 and 43 we can use them in multiple roles, but it would appear that Timmons would be a tad more suited to the 34 and Woodley a bit more for the 43. Bring on the Hybrid scheme :woot:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I think either way it works out well for us. If they can both play in the 34 and 43 we can use them in multiple roles, but it would appear that Timmons would be a tad more suited to the 34 and Woodley a bit more for the 43. Bring on the Hybrid scheme :woot:

Actually at Michigan Woodley was very good at rushing the passer at OLB in a 3-4. So either scheme he should be able to rush the passer at least. I would worry about his coverage skills. But hey the guy can develop those skills over time.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
That's what we like to see in our LB's, versatility. Both of these guys are fast and tough so hopefully we made the right choices.