PDA

View Full Version : Faneca Trade a Possibility...

TEEMONT
04-27-2007, 11:00 AM
God this makes me sad.....

I know it's just rumors at this point...guess we will know within 24 hours.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6737832

It's the season of the trade rumor. And with the draft this weekend, separating fact from fiction is tough to do.

Here's a few deals we would make.

Alan Faneca to the Cardinals
Faneca, who I believe will be looked at as a potential Hall of Famer player when he retires, is a free agent at the end of the 2007 campaign. He currently isn't working out with his teammates in Pittsburgh. Faneca not only wants more money, he is still a bit raw that the club hired Mike Tomlin as opposed to his old position coach Russ Grimm or old offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Well, Whisenhunt is now coaching the Cardinals and brought Grimm along with him to turn around the Arizona offensive line.

And with guards now making tackle money the last few years in free agency (Steve Hutchinson, Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman), Faneca is going to get paid handsomely next year. And it's not the Steelers way to pay him.

It's a new era for Steelers football with Tomlin. And it's obvious that Faneca isn't thrilled to be a part. And with his contract up, combined with the market for guards, the chances are slim to none that Faneca plays for the 2008 Steelers.

I'd trade Faneca to the Cardinals for a second rounder this year and next year. With that high second-round pick, I'd take Ryan Kalil.

And from an Arizona perspective, it's time to win. You didn't hire Whisenhunt to rebuild. The talent is there. The deal would vastly improve the offensive line. And in talking to scouts, they believe Faneca has 4-5 years left playing at the clip he's at right now.

The Cardinals would be guaranteed to get either Gaines Adams or Joe Thomas in round 1, with an all-pro guard being their second-round pick.

Denver's Nos. 21, 56, 70 for Houston's No. 10I know Mike Shanahan is itching to deal. He was thrilled when we talked at the owner's meetings that he was able to get Travis Henry and Dre Bly without relinquishing a day 1 pick. And with the talent compiled by Shanahan and Ted Sundquist in Denver, they need an impact player as opposed to several bodies.

And Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker fits exactly what the Broncos are looking for. Shanahan could also pick Patrick Willis.

Denver would still have a third-rounder to add depth.

From a Houston standpoint, this would be a brilliant move. The Texans need those bodies and can collect important parts. At pick 21, they could draft Joe Staley. Or take a receiver (Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Dwayne Jarrett) opposite Andre Johnson. Or take Aaron Ross, who I think could end up being a better player than Leon Hall, who might just be the Houston selection if the Texans stayed at 10.

And with the extra picks, Houston could address the defensive backfield (Josh Wilson, Tanard Jackson), receiver (Sidney Rice, Jason Hill), offensive line (Ryan Harris, Doug Free, Andy Alleman), or defensive line (Tank Tyler, Quentin Moses) on day 1.

And remember, the Texans, as per the compensation for Matt Schaub, don't have a second-round pick.

This possibility was first reported in the Tuesday edition of the Denver Post and is starting to gain steam.

Michael Turner to Green Bay for No. 16
I've put a lot of thought into this. And I've talked to a lot of people in the league about it.

Between 2007 and 2011, Michael Turner will be a much better running back than Marshawn Lynch. And with his combination of hands, speed, and power, Turner is a perfect fit in the Packers system. And I have major questions about Lynch's durability and character.

Ted Thompson did a brilliant job in last year's draft and Mike McCarthy played a lot of the rookies, who will be very much ahead of the curve in 2007. If you trade for Turner, you have to sign him and the Packers have plenty of cap room. Right now Vernand Morency and Noah Herron top the depth chart at running back. That won't cut it.

If A.J. Smith could make this deal, he'd be a genius. The general manager would get a mid first-round pick for a player who won't be a Charger in 2008. And he could take a safety (Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson) or a receiver (Dwayne Bowe, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., Robert Meachem) at 16 and address the other position at the end of round one (Anthony Gonzalez, Steve Smith, Jarrett if he falls, Brandon Meriweather).

Josh McCown to Oakland for fifth-rounder
This will happen. And I still firmly believe that the Raiders will draft JaMarcus Russell. But McCown gives them experience at quarterback. He'd be a perfect fit in Greg Knapp's offense with his athleticism and rocket arm.

Friday133
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm all over trading Faneca to get something. If we don't he leaves next year and we don't get ****.

Forged in Steel
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Faneca is always bi***ing about something. In 2004 he sai something about Roethlisberger, and now he wants more dough.

House of Steel
04-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I called this Arizona trade of Faneca for draft picks either this draft or next year's draft. I knew I wasn't full of ****.

TEEMONT
04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Faneca is always bi***ing about something. In 2004 he sai something about Roethlisberger, and now he wants more dough.

How is he ALWAYS bitching about something...he has been here for almost 10 years, and we have 3 "quotes" of him "bitching".

AZ_Steeler
04-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I called this Arizona trade of Faneca for draft picks either this draft or next year's draft. I knew I wasn't full of ****.

Actually in this thread: All jokes aside....pick one (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5538&page=2) KTrain called this trade in post #30

because i guess grimm doesnt love starks as much a starks loves grimm....to be honest i would be willing to trade faneca and swap 1st and 2nd rounders with AZ...then get adams and blalock...that would be GLORIOUS

Adams is the calvin johnson of defense
Then you followed up in post #31 saying:

HEY YOU GOT A GREAT PLAN, damn why don't we just show up in New York and do the draft for the Steelers. LMAO. I would force Arizona to take that damn trade too.

:dunno:

TEEMONT
04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Actually in this thread: All jokes aside....pick one (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5538&page=2) KTrain called this trade in post #30

The you followed up in post #31 saying:

:dunno:

BUSTED!!! lol

PsychoWard
04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
well as much as i like feneca if he is not happy to be here trade his a$$!!!

House of Steel
04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I thought I did, maybe he did. I will shut up.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, rumors are rumors. If we trade him then I hope we get the chance to take a Guard with the potential to step in pretty quickly. The thought of going into 2007 with 4 out 5 new starters on the OL is not an appealing scenario for a team like us who's coming off a subpar year.

AZ_Steeler
04-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought I did, maybe he did. I will shut up.
I hope you don't think I'm calling you out because I'm not, just want to make sure the right person gets credit for calling it :bigthumb:

kgreen
04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Trade him and draft Grubbs!!!!!! I am tired of him crying that Grimm didn't get the job. Trade him because we could get great compensation.

BBG7
04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm all over trading Faneca to get something. If we don't he leaves next year and we don't get ****.

I couldn't agree more....trade him. He doesn't want to be here and we know he's as good as gone next year, so why not get something out of him this year!

Koopa
04-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Trade him and draft Grubbs!!!!!! I am tired of him crying that Grimm didn't get the job. Trade him because we could get great compensation.

**** that lol.

trade him and draft Blalock!!!!! :lol:

i'd hate to see faneca go, but might as well trade him, no need in prolonging his leave........and we'd get something if he walks, we'd get a pretty high compensation pick lol

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I saw a show on NFLN where Kevin Colbert was actually one of the experts there to lend his advice and they were talking about whether or not you could afford to pass on a franchise QB if one was available. Anyway, they strayed off that subject a little and were talking about critical fill positions like left tackle. Colbert himself said that you don't normally WASTE high draft picks on the guard position because they are normally plentiful on day 2. Also a reason that you shouldn't expect the Steelers to open the bank vault for Faneca. As much as I appreciate his service to the franchise, Steelers don't pay guards 7 mil a year.

TEEMONT
04-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I saw a show on NFLN where Kevin Colbert was actually one of the experts there to lend his advice and they were talking about whether or not you could afford to pass on a franchise QB if one was available. Anyway, they strayed off that subject a little and were talking about critical fill positions like left tackle. Colbert himself said that you don't normally WASTE high draft picks on the guard position because they are normally plentiful on day 2. Also a reason that you shouldn't expect the Steelers to open the bank vault for Faneca. As much as I appreciate his service to the franchise, Steelers don't pay guards 7 mil a year.

yeah, like I said at TSZ, the more I think about it, the more I accept it. I would much rather us be a competitive team than have a high-priced guard. He is my favorite player, but I just don't see him staying in any way.

BBC
04-27-2007, 04:30 PM

:plus1:

tony hipchest
04-27-2007, 08:00 PM

Then you followed up in post #31 saying:

:dunno:the trading of faneca talk has been going on for quite a while

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM

I watched that too, that was a very interesting show. Colbert really made alot of good points, especially when they were talking about how Heath Miller came to be with the team.

I don't want to see Faneca leave, I truely don't. If he's going to play at a high level then he should be doing it with us. Maybe he'll take less to stay here, maybe he won't, but at this point it's not looking too good.

I hate seeing such important franchise type players unhappy and looking to possibly get out of dodge...

AZ_Steeler
04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
the trading of faneca talk has been going on for quite a while

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711

Holy crap... that goes all the way back to the first part March! :lol: I stand corrected Thanks Tony! :bigthumb:

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2007, 11:15 PM

I agree.

Prosdo
04-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I couldn't agree more....trade him. He doesn't want to be here and we know he's as good as gone next year, so why not get something out of him this year!

I agree. As much as I like Alan Faneca I don't think he will resign with us. I say dangle him infront of Arizona.

Steelerlyn
04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
He would not have to pack his bags because they are already probably packed

steelcurtaingal
04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
He would not have to pack his bags because they are already probably packed

sadly youare probably right. even if he remains in Pittsburgh, his heart will be with the Cardinals. they should jsut let him go.

Prosdo
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I understand him being disappointed and everything but this seems like a big hissy fit in my opinion.

TampaSteelGirl
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Seems to me that Alan really wants to go. :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Seems to me that Alan really wants to go. :dunno:

Alan needs to turn his frown upside down.:lol:

steelcurtaingal
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Alan needs to turn his frown upside down.:lol:

:lol: thats funny. i do think he is being a little whiny, i mean he should not be so mad at the Steelers, just for hiring someone he desnt like as much as the other candidates. hes not beign very excutive IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 02:12 PM
:lol: thats funny. i do think he is being a little whiny, i mean he should not be so mad at the Steelers, just for hiring someone he desnt like as much as the other candidates. hes not beign very excutive IMO

Oh I agree and I'm not going to get started with Alan Faneca. If I do I won't stop.:lol:

steelcurtaingal
04-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Oh I agree and I'm not going to get started with Alan Faneca. If I do I won't stop.:lol:

i know what you are saying :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, Alan is a gamer... remember he was mad when Tommy didnt get his job back when Ben took over for him after that Baltimore game. He went public saying he had a problem playing for a rookie QB when we had Maddox (his buddy) But when be throws TD's who is the first person huggin him now... Faneca. This isnt the first time this happen, apparently he is a VERY loyal guy to his teammates and Coaches, but he always plays 100% and learns to adapt. Say what we want ( i woundnt mind seeing he delt if he is just gonna leave next year anyway) but dont be supprised if when he gets to camp and adapts to the new staff and surroundings, he is gonna be loyal to the ORGANIZATION now, I think in the end of camp they could possibly reach SOME KIND of deal.

Prosdo
05-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Good point Steel. I really like Faneca and I hope he does go into camp and adapt.

SteelersWoman
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree too Steel, and (along with Prosdo) sure hope that's what happens.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, Alan is a gamer... remember he was mad when Tommy didnt get his job back when Ben took over for him after that Baltimore game. He went public saying he had a problem playing for a rookie QB when we had Maddox (his buddy) But when be throws TD's who is the first person huggin him now... Faneca. This isnt the first time this happen, apparently he is a VERY loyal guy to his teammates and Coaches, but he always plays 100% and learns to adapt. Say what we want ( i woundnt mind seeing he delt if he is just gonna leave next year anyway) but dont be supprised if when he gets to camp and adapts to the new staff and surroundings, he is gonna be loyal to the ORGANIZATION now, I think in the end of camp they could possibly reach SOME KIND of deal.

This is what Ive been saying all along too, the dude is as loyal a teammate as you'll find. He has his opinions and they don't always mesh with what we think they should but the guy is as respected in that locker room as Porter, Jerome, Hines, or anyone else. He's a leader, a veteran, and a top 3 Guard in the league year in and year out. He may very well come into camp and not be happy, sooner or later he'll come out and tell us how he really felt..or he may come into camp and everything will be just like it always was and they'll work out a last minute deal just before the season starts.

I'll admit right now it doesn't look good and if it's absolutely true that he's not coming back next year then let's deal him and get some draft picks but if there's a reasonable chance he'll sign then lets see what happens.

25MVPKing
05-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't trade him anytime soon. Give him a chance to come to camp and see how business is being conducted. If it's just money he wants, he can go to AZ, because everyone knows the Steelers aren't big spenders. Most people who play really well for the Steelers, then go somewhere else for the money usually do nothing for the rest of their careers.

If he doesn't like the way the team is headed, trade him. I think he's a great player, but if he's not happy I don't want him. That being said, I'd take Marvin Harrison over Randy Moss any day of the week, and certainly on Sunday.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd take Marvin Harrison over Randy Moss any day of the week, and certainly on Sunday.

Ok, pure potential alone, if both guys came to the field strapped on the helmets and went 100% I'd take randy. Its hard to be unsatisfied when your team has been a playoff team and SuperBowl contender for the last 5 or so years like the Colts have. Its hard to be unhappy when your QB is Hall of Fame bound and taking you w/ him, Like Marvin is. Marvin Harrison has had a dream career from a Organization standpoint. When it came time to pay him the $$$ they did. When it came time to cut one of the big 3, his name was never brought up. Look at Randys career, he sent Cunningham off on a good note, made Culpepper a Pro-Bowl QB, and had minnesota in the hunt every year. It wasnt til they started losing until he had his problems. Oakland was never a good fit for him, and that was a mistake but they were one of the few teams that could match his salary so thats where he went. With that being said winnig cures all (unless your TO, LOL) i think if Faneca goes into camp and like what he see's he'll find a way to work out a deal... if not he'll play out his contract and walk, i doubt and hope he doesnt demad a trade this season!

steelcurtaingal
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't trade him anytime soon. Give him a chance to come to camp and see how business is being conducted. If it's just money he wants, he can go to AZ, because everyone knows the Steelers aren't big spenders. Most people who play really well for the Steelers, then go somewhere else for the money usually do nothing for the rest of their careers.

If he doesn't like the way the team is headed, trade him. I think he's a great player, but if he's not happy I don't want him. That being said, I'd take Marvin Harrison over Randy Moss any day of the week, and certainly on Sunday.

if moss were to give 100% I would actually pick him. but he has been with a losing team, and no amount of talent he had could ever change how oakland sucked. on that note, I am getting kind of tiired of faneca acting so whiny. he isnt the owner of The Steelers, Rooney is. so he has no reason to be giving the whole organization the cold shoulder.

Hawk Believer
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I sure wouldn't mind seeing him in some blue pants. That might be a step towards making up for the huge screw up the Seahawks made when they didn't franchise Hutch. Our O-line hasn't been the same since.

K Train
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Well him and hutch are pretty much the same person so.....

Hell if the hawks give a first rounder and a big contract for a scrub like Branch...imagine what we could get for the best guard in the league, which is an overpaid position even for the not even close to being the best players lol

Hawk Believer
05-01-2007, 08:04 PM
I am not sure we have much to trade away at this point. People out here are really fired up about them trading away Darrel Jackson for a 4th round pick...

K Train
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
well a week ago Julian Peterson wouldve sounded real nice lol

Hawk Believer
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, LBs are definately our deepest spot in the D. But people might riot if they got rid of Tatupu, Peterson, or Hill (in Seattle rioting means throwing empty latte cups (except when the WTO is in town)).

K Train
05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
ok strait up....walter jones for faneca lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Im still holding onto the fact that Faneca won't actually require that much money to resign and until I hear the words come out of his mouth directly that he is going to hold out, or that he wants a new deal similar to so and so..we'll just wait and see :crossfingers: :lol:

Hawk Believer
05-01-2007, 08:20 PM
ok strait up....walter jones for faneca lol
:lol: Thats like trading a queen for a bishop.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
:doh1: :doh1:

BlitzburghNation
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Im still holding onto the fact that Faneca won't actually require that much money to resign and until I hear the words come out of his mouth directly that he is going to hold out, or that he wants a new deal similar to so and so..we'll just wait and see :crossfingers: :lol:

:iagree:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 06:13 AM
A small tidbit from Bouchette on this issue...

Question: Ed, do you get the impression that the stalemate between the Steelers and Alan Faneca is based more on money or the fact Mike Tomlin was chosen over Russ Grimm to replace Bill Cowher? If the team offers close to Derrick Dockery or Eric Steinbach money, would that still be enough to keep him? Or would Faneca prefer not to play for Tomlin?

James Detlefsen, Lincoln, Neb.

BOUCHETTE: I believe money is the reason for the stalemate at the moment, and that it has nothing to do with the coach. I also think Faneca will turn out for the Steelers required minicamp May 11-13 and report to training camp on time. I'm putting 50-50 odds on the Steelers re-signing him. Yes, he liked playing for Russ Grimm, but coaches and players come and go in this business and he still has plenty of friends on the team. As long as the money's right, I think Faneca will stay. Remember also that the kind of money those other guards got came when they were free agents. Faneca won't be a free agent for one more year.

25MVPKing
05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Just to clear up my earlier comment about taking Marvin Harrison over Randy Moss:

I'm not talking about my choice in fantasy land :rofl: where Randy Moss is happy and gives 100%. In real world conditions, I'd take Harrison over Moss. :yesnod:

This takes into consideration their attitudes as well as skill set. Yes, Moss is the better athlete, but I was bringing up the point so as to say if Faneca wants to be all about the money like Moss or TO, he can walk out the door and I won't shed a tear.

OTOH, if he wants to leave to play for Grimm because he's so loyal :crossfingers: , I respect that. My attitude towards the Faneca situation is 100% based on his intentions. :bigthumb:

:towel:

SteelersWoman
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
"50/50"? Wow, Bouchette really narrowed THAT right down! lol

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my gut feelin is that he stays with us this year. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time lol So I'll http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2066/coffee2gb8.gifand wait :D

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
"50/50"? Wow, Bouchette really narrowed THAT right down! lol

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my gut feelin is that he stays with us this year. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time lol So I'll http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2066/coffee2gb8.gifand wait :D

aahh, coffee! I could use a cup about now :bigthumb:

SteelersWoman
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Help yourself TG--it's a never ending supply! lol