PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on how this years camp has been

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2006, 02:07 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/68359/

With training over and the team back in familiar surroundings, what's your thoughts on how the 2006 camp has been? Players that stood out, good or bad? How's Ben been looking? Our draft picks turning out as good as you hoped they would so far?

Prosdo
08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
I think it went well. Two players that really stood out to me are Anthony Smith and Nate Washington. They both look like very good young players. I guess it's still early for the draft picks, but the two that impressed me were Anthony Smith and Willie Reid.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Willie Reid has made his case to get more playing time and it looks like he'll be the punt returner for us. Holmes has made strides and gotten each week after missing alot of practices and camp early on.

I agree Anthony Smith has definately turned some heads on special teams as well as Safety.

I think the first teams over all did pretty good considering they didn't play much this preseason, I would have liked to see the backups though make some more plays not so many mistakes.

AZ_Steeler
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Overall, the camp has been good primarily because there were no major or season ending injuries! To me that is the biggest obstacle to try and avoid and the Steelers did just that.

However, reading some of the reports coming from camp I was a little disappointed because it sounded like the team wasn't really focusing on execution and was going through the motions. Again, let me repeat, these are my interpretations from what I have read. Plus, I heard BC say at least 2-3 times a week that practice was bad. Hopefully, he just has really really high standards and the practices weren't all that bad.

First team offense and defense has looked sharp, especially the offense. The big question heading into preseason was Ben, but I don't think there is any question that Ben is going to be fine and he's looking good. I think he could of played more in the last game but that's the coaches decision not mine. The defense has looked good at times, however I'm still seeing an issue on giving up 3rd and longs. The D needs to step on these plays and shut em down!

What can you say of the draft picks... Anthony Smith has probably been the biggest standout and IMO should be given the green light to start! He's all over the field and looks a like a mini-me Troy sometimes, he just needs to grow his hair out ;) Reid is several weeks ahead of Holmes. If Reid gets the call over Holmes I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Holmes needs to hit the film room and study that playbook like his career depends on it. Jacobs... nothing to really say because he hasn't done a whole lot. Humes has been quiet, along with the other draft picks. Some will probably stick around for depth or be put on the PS, but at least 3-4 will be cut.