PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Big Ben, Cowher had problems

Koopa
04-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Ben Roethlisberger blurted the worst-kept secret around the Steelers into the open yesterday: He and coach Bill Cowher did not quite see eye to eye.

"Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The most glaring instance of the strain on that relationship came in 2005 when Cowher became aware that his young quarterback was riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. Cowher talked to him and advised him to be responsible and wear one. That same day, Roethlisberger told the media he would continue to ride without a helmet.

Other instances occurred when the coach sharply disagreed publicly with Roethlisberger that he had played the AFC championship game in his rookie season with broken toes. There were other disagreements over perceived injuries that caused frustration for Cowher.

Roethlisberger hopes to get off to a better start with new coach Mike Tomlin.

"Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense, so I think we will have a better relationship,'' Roethlisberger said.

Taylor back with first team

Cornerback Ike Taylor regained his spot on the first-team defense, at least for yesterday. He ended last season having lost his job and virtually in the coach's doghouse. He and veteran Deshea Townsend worked with the first unit.

"Right now, I am just happy to be back out there," Taylor said. "The offseason was fast. The season is approaching, We have a new head coach, new coaching staff. I am glad to be back playing football."

Not a center yet

Starting right guard Kendall Simmons does not see himself competing at center with newcomer Sean Mahan and seven-year veteran backup Chukky Okobi, no matter what his coaches said.

Simmons was at right guard and Okobi at center when the first unit took the field yesterday. Simmons will practice some at center, but does not expect it to be full time. Marvin Philip also made the roster last season as a rookie center.

"We have Chukky, Sean and Marvin here," Simmons said. "I want to be good enough at it and continue to get reps so if something happens I can do it."

Gardocki still here, but ...

Punter Chris Gardocki, still on the roster despite the team's attempts to replace him, attended minicamp. Gardocki, 37, has a $1 million salary due this year. The Steelers signed restricted free agent Andy Lee, but the 49ers kept their punter by matching the contract. Punter Mike Barr is on the preseason roster for the fourth consecutive year, and the Steelers have taken closer looks at a couple of college punting prospects.

New policy

Tomlin ended a long-standing Steelers tradition of open policy when he barred newspaper photographers from most of practice.

He will permit the still photographers to work the early part of practice when players basically run and stretch, but not when the team moves to group drills and practice.

Tomlin explained that he's trying to protect players while they compete for jobs.

"Sometimes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and some people are going to be in some compromising positions that maybe they don't want to see themselves in," Tomlin said.

So far so good

Tomlin's first two practices as Steelers coach were run crisply on a warm day, and he said he was happy with them.

"Just the overall atmosphere for what we're looking for, the tempo, the attention to detail. I wanted to hear the guys coach. I wanted to hear the guys talk to one another, teach one another. The overall camaraderie is what I was looking for. We got a lot of that today. It was a great, upbeat tempo, a positive attitude. It was a very positive day from that standpoint."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07111/779926-66.stm

AZ_Steeler
04-21-2007, 01:48 AM
That's interesting to hear about Ben and Cowher. I always wondered what was up especially when the broken toe report came out. Things didn't always seem to jive just and someone always came out looking like a liar.

SteelersWoman
04-21-2007, 05:41 AM
If our QB is happier, he'll play better.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2007, 06:10 AM
It was no secret that there was something going on behind the scenes with Bill and Ben. I don't think any of us could have known how big or problematic the situation truely was but it all boils down to the fact that they worked together to get us our 5th Super bowl, and for that we can always be thankful.

I hope Tomlin & Big Ben can work well together and stay on the same page in all instances so we keep a strong relationship between Coach & QB, which will only benefit us in the long run.

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Great to hear about Tomlin's feelings of how everything went yesterday. That is a great sign.

kgreen
04-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I am not suprised at all by this. Cowher was not QB's best friend.

BBG7
04-21-2007, 04:10 PM
When I heard this last night, I had to rewind it to make sure I heard it correctly. I guess I kindof knew there was some stuff between the two of them, but never really thought it was anything that serious.

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
So basically what you all are saying is that it's ok that Ben obviously didn't like Cowher to the point where it affected his play, but it's not ok for Faneca to dislike (reportedly) Tomlin and it won't affect his play.

Hypocrites.

BBG7
04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
So basically what you all are saying is that it's ok that Ben obviously didn't like Cowher to the point where it affected his play, but it's not ok for Faneca to dislike (reportedly) Tomlin and it won't affect his play.

Hypocrites.

The difference is Ben didn't skip workouts and whine to the media about Cowher and his relationship, which is exactly why we are just finding out that there was more going on behind closed doors than we knew.

On the other hand, Faneca is skipping workouts, hasn't even given Tomlin the chance because Grimm was his drinking buddy. Tomlin has done nothing to him, except take his buddy's job.

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 05:00 PM
The difference is Ben didn't skip workouts and whine to the media about Cowher and his relationship, which is exactly why we are just finding out that there was more going on behind closed doors than we knew.

On the other hand, Faneca is skipping workouts, hasn't even given Tomlin the chance because Grimm was his drinking buddy. Tomlin has done nothing to him, except take his buddy's job.

Has anyone here even tried to put themselves in Faneca's shoes? You work at a job, and a buddy of yours, a good buddy, is up for promotion the be the head guy. He is reportedly told the job is his, only to have some other guy come out of nowhere to take the job. To top it all off, your buddy doesn't even work with you anymore. I'm sure all of you would be estatic, it's so easy for everyone here to bitch about Faneca (funny aren't you birching abotu his bitching?), but not one person has even thought to put themselves in his siuation. Yeah he gets paid millions of dollars to play a game, I know. Once again it's voluntary workouts, Ben obviously needed/needs to be there, Alan doesn't.

You are all making a big deal about Faneca, but this won't affect how he plays, he will still perform at a pro-bowl level. Ben couldn't do that, not only could he not do that, but when he ****ed up (05 AFCCG) he makes up injuries when he doesn't perform well.

I'm sure Alan is woking out and staying in shape, and he will be there in May, if not, then you all can bitch and moan. Until then I will just watch our hard-working QB participate in mini-camp, and then go back on the semi-celebrity tour and punish his liver for being a bad-boy.

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
This really isn't new, there were statements last year that they didn't really get along real well.

steelcurtaingal
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Has anyone here even tried to put themselves in Faneca's shoes? You work at a job, and a buddy of yours, a good buddy, is up for promotion the be the head guy. He is reportedly told the job is his, only to have some other guy come out of nowhere to take the job. To top it all off, your buddy doesn't even work with you anymore. I'm sure all of you would be estatic, it's so easy for everyone here to bitch about Faneca (funny aren't you birching abotu his bitching?), but not one person has even thought to put themselves in his siuation. Yeah he gets paid millions of dollars to play a game, I know. Once again it's voluntary workouts, Ben obviously needed/needs to be there, Alan doesn't.

You are all making a big deal about Faneca, but this won't affect how he plays, he will still perform at a pro-bowl level. Ben couldn't do that, not only could he not do that, but when he ****ed up (05 AFCCG) he makes up injuries when he doesn't perform well.

I'm sure Alan is woking out and staying in shape, and he will be there in May, if not, then you all can bitch and moan. Until then I will just watch our hard-working QB participate in mini-camp, and then go back on the semi-celebrity tour and punish his liver for being a bad-boy.

wow, you seem pretty pissed off at Big Ben. you seem to forget that it wasnt just Ben that sucked this past year, it was our o-line, and defense too. maybe faneca needs to be there just as much as big Ben

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Hypocrites.

When was ever brought up that Ben's let his play be effected since his relationship was rocky with Cowher? I didn't read that. The article just pointed out they had a rocky relationship. Not earth shattering really. Hell Bradshaw and Noll hated each other in the 70's.

SteelerSal
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
This is just soap opera bullcrap and I'm glad to see that both Cowher and Ben did'nt kiss each others ***.
Not seeing eye to eye on a few things is healthy and normal.

Hell Bradshaw and Noll hated each other in the 70's.

:plus1:

BlitzburghNation
04-21-2007, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=SteelerSal;99809]This is just soap opera bullcrap and I'm glad to see that both Cowher and Ben did'nt kiss each others ***.
Not seeing eye to eye on a few things is healthy and normal.

I agree-------:popcorn:

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I am not suprised at all by this. Cowher was not QB's best friend.

Don't know about that, he was stuck on Kordell for a long time.

BBG7
04-21-2007, 08:22 PM

You are the one that brought Faneca into this subject....this is the first I have said about him in a while, because I'm pretty much sick of him. I have tried to put myself in his shoes....but first and foremost this is a business and you have to be able to move on and quite whining about it. Now I'm dropping this subject because there are enough Faneca threads...this one is supposed to be about Ben and Bill.

okiesteeler
04-21-2007, 08:25 PM
At least their disagreements were minor and did not effect the team as a whole. I hope that Tomlin and Rothlisberger get along and that they can have as productive a relationsip as Cowher and Ben. I look forward to the team winning their 6th Lombardy

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
As long as they can say at the end of the day that they were able to accomplish the goals of the team then that's all that really matters. Nobody is going to get along all the time so having some diverse opinions on how things should be done can be a good thing indeed.

Bill and Ben may not have always gotten along; Tomlin & Ben will have their problems too but overall as long as they work together and stay on the same page, they'll be fine.

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
wow, you seem pretty pissed off at Big Ben. you seem to forget that it wasnt just Ben that sucked this past year, it was our o-line, and defense too. maybe faneca needs to be there just as much as big Ben

Last I checked he was at the Pro-Bowl last year, and a USA Today All-Pro. Ben is an above avg QB at best, this "feud" with Cowher is just another excuse. If he tanks again this year, is he going to blame it on Tomlin this time?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Last I checked he was at the Pro-Bowl last year, and a USA Today All-Pro. Ben is an above avg QB at best, this "feud" with Cowher is just another excuse. If he tanks again this year, is he going to blame it on Tomlin this time?

Dude he didn't blame his rocky relationship with Cowher as a reason for his poor play last year. Where in the hell did that come from? All he said he had a poor relationship with Coach Cowher.

You can bash Ben all you want but if wasn't for that above average at best QB the Steelers don't even make the Super Bowl. As for Faneca he is a vet and supposed to be a leader on this team but instead he is acting like a bitch.:bluelol:

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Stillers, Faneca is the offensive voice and leader of the Steelers, if he is a leader, no matter what, mandatory or voluntarily, SET A DAMN EXAMPLE for other and show up at mini-camp. He is being a whining dick about this damn Grimm ****. He needs to move on and play like a man cause he is under contract with the Steelers. He is pissing me off cause he can't seem to get over it. If he is damn unhappy in Pittsburgh, I say trade the stupid moron. WE CAN PLUG IN A PLAYER AND BE FINE WITHOUT HIM. That is the Steelers Tradition. I don't care what your *** says about Faneca. Your getting pretty nasty with your attitude lately anyhow. Man, wise up and respect others opinion instead of calling us dicks.

As far as Ben is concerned, your a trip. If it wasn't for Ben, we wouldn't had won the one for the thumb.

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Dude he didn't blame his rocky relationship with Cowher as a reason for his poor play last year. Where in the hell did that come from? All he said he had a poor relationship with Coach Cowher.

You can bash Ben all you want but if wasn't for that above average at best QB the Steelers don't even make the Super Bowl. As for Faneca he is a vet and supposed to be a leader on this team but instead he is acting like a bitch.:bluelol:

Dude, Ben is Jake Delhomme at best, if he puts the weight back on, then he has a chance to be a Pro-Bowler.

He didn't come right out and say the reason he had bad season was b/c off his "rocky" relationship with Cowher (they sure looked happy in 05), but you know everyone is like, "Ohhhhh so thats why he sucked so bad last year." This is just a latent excuse, why else would he even bring it up?

If I'm Ben, (which I'm not, he can't drink to save his life lol), I'm not bringing up **** from last year, I would let *******es like me do that on message boards. He needs to focus on getting the job done and giving Steeler fans a reason to say he is a better QB than Carson Palmer, not bringing up **** from last year.

I want Ben to be good, I really do, but he just seemed to let the Super Bowl go to his head, I really hope last season grounded him. He has all the potential in the world, but so did Troy Edwards.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I want Ben to be good, I really do, but he just seemed to let the Super Bowl go to his head, I really hope last season grounded him. He has all the potential in the world, but so did Troy Edwards.

Everybody let the SB go to their head, Ben wasn't the only one, they all had a crappy year and they were all to blame, including BC, for a subpar 2006 season.

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
He needs to focus on getting the job done and giving Steeler fans a reason to say he is a better QB than Carson Palmer, not bringing up **** from last year.

I want Ben to be good, I really do, but he just seemed to let the Super Bowl go to his head, I really hope last season grounded him. He has all the potential in the world, but so did Troy Edwards

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. THE MAN WON A SB. HE PROVED HIMSELF!!! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??? The man is going to have a bad season or two, but damn it, he is a champion no matter what.

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Stillers, Faneca is the offensive voice and leader of the Steelers, if he is a leader, no matter what, mandatory or voluntarily, SET A DAMN EXAMPLE for other and show up at mini-camp. He is being a whining dick about this damn Grimm ****. He needs to move on and play like a man cause he is under contract with the Steelers. He is pissing me off cause he can't seem to get over it. If he is damn unhappy in Pittsburgh, I say trade the stupid moron. WE CAN PLUG IN A PLAYER AND BE FINE WITHOUT HIM. That is the Steelers Tradition. I don't care what your *** says about Faneca. Your getting pretty nasty with your attitude lately anyhow. Man, wise up and respect others opinion instead of calling us dicks.

As far as Ben is concerned, your a trip. If it wasn't for Ben, we wouldn't had won the one for the thumb. Get your head out of your ***. Yeah, I am starting to get nasty cause I am sick of you tearing people down lately.

Steelers tradition is, we almost always have at least one future HOF'er on our O-line. Faneca is nont doing anything wrong right now, if these mini-camps were that important for him, he would be there.

He has a right to be pissy, the Steelers also TRADITIONALLY talk about extending contracts when there is a year left on the original deal. No talks yet with him. I know the chnces of re-signing him are slim, but to not even bring anything to the table is insulting.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. THE MAN WON A SB. HE PROVED HIMSELF!!! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??? The man is going to have a bad season or two, but damn it, he is a champion no matter what.

Ben won it on his own huh? He was huge in the playoffs, I will give you that, but he did everything in his power to lose the SB. I would wager to say that if we didn't have any one of the following: ARE, FWP, or Hines, we lose the SB. The coaching was also huge in the playoffs, so don't act like Ben did it all on his own.

kgreen
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM

Great points there. Ben was on fire in the 05 playoffs. I don't feel good about Faneca, he's been acting wierd since Tomlin was hired. I hope he gets his act together or we may have to start looking at Guards this year in the draft. Maybe Ben Grubbs. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Last few posts of this thread will be edit'd for content....

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Keep this thread kosher or it's gone....

SteelerFan87
04-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm troubled by this. What did Ben expect? That a coach who's been here as long as Cowher had, had had (lol@ the 3 hads) as much success as Cowher had, and had been to a SB before would move over for his rookie QB's ego? Cowher doesn't treat players differently, so it seems to me Ben expected it to be otherwise. From what we hear, Ben was also lazy. And he obviously didn't take Cowher's advice to wear his damn helmet, and look what happened? Ben, take your ego, shove it up your ***, and start doing the work you have to do to been an elite QB and get this team another championship. I mean, I'm a big Roethlisberger supporter, and I think he can be a truly great QB, but I don't like what I hear with this whole thing.

And see, the difference between this and Faneca, is that Faneca NEEDS A NEW CONTRACT. He has one year left. It's about damn time to start talking to him about an extension, whether it's likely or not. Faneca isn't skipping camp because he's all pissy about Tomlin, he's skipping camp because the Steelers aren't offering him an extension. Who wouldn't be pissed about that? Ben however, was a rookie who seemingly came in here with a huge ego and then got pissed when Cowher didn't care, or at least that's what it sounds like.

steelcurtaingal
04-23-2007, 08:10 AM

dude, i never heard Big Ben say once that this was Cowhers fault. As a matter of fact, i always heard him say how he was underperforming.. the entire team, save parker, did not earn their salary last year. it was not just big ben.

TampaSteelGirl
04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
In one aspect I do have to say that I agree with Cowher's dislike of Ben riding without his helmet..I'm sure he was furious when he heard that! See what happened to him?? :scratch:

Ambridge
04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm troubled by this. What did Ben expect? That a coach who's been here as long as Cowher had, had had (lol@ the 3 hads) as much success as Cowher had, and had been to a SB before would move over for his rookie QB's ego? Cowher doesn't treat players differently, so it seems to me Ben expected it to be otherwise. From what we hear, Ben was also lazy. And he obviously didn't take Cowher's advice to wear his damn helmet, and look what happened? Ben, take your ego, shove it up your ***, and start doing the work you have to do to been an elite QB and get this team another championship. I mean, I'm a big Roethlisberger supporter, and I think he can be a truly great QB, but I don't like what I hear with this whole thing.

And see, the difference between this and Faneca, is that Faneca NEEDS A NEW CONTRACT. He has one year left. It's about damn time to start talking to him about an extension, whether it's likely or not. Faneca isn't skipping camp because he's all pissy about Tomlin, he's skipping camp because the Steelers aren't offering him an extension. Who wouldn't be pissed about that? Ben however, was a rookie who seemingly came in here with a huge ego and then got pissed when Cowher didn't care, or at least that's what it sounds like.

IMO That's the best Damned Post in the whole thread!! :bigthumb:

Ben's statement really sounds arrogant if that's the way he was feeling back then and I think he's out-done himself with stupidity for even bringing it up now. I like Ben and hope he plays well but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he runs himself out of town with his stupid comments, some more questionable activities along with more mediocre quarterbacking.

TEEMONT
04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
dude, i never heard Big Ben say once that this was Cowhers fault. As a matter of fact, i always heard him say how he was underperforming.. the entire team, save parker, did not earn their salary last year. it was not just big ben.

Yeah but he always has some sort of excuse ready as to why HE is underperforming. Whether it's a 104 degree temp, broken toes, herpes.....wiat, he never used that one....or Cowher. He won't come out and say Cowher was why he had a rough time last year, but now we all think it.