PDA

View Full Version : Let's keep the PRESEASON in perspective...

suitanim
08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Last year at this time, there were actual fights on message boards about whether or not Tommy Maddox should be the starting QB due to incredibly poor play from Ben in the PRESEASON. The defense looked bad in the PRESEASON. Ike was questioned heavily, so much so that people were predicting he'd be lit up play after play last year in the PRESEASON, or actually hoping he'd be cut or we'd trade for or pick up an overpriced big name has-been CB. Many, MANY Steelers fans wanted Bettis cut last year in the PRESEASON. People were pissed at Ward last PRESEASON for holding out of camp. The offensive line was, if it's possible, more maligned than it has been this PRESEASON. About half the Steelers fans wanted Bill Cowher fired last year in PRESEASON.

What conclusions can we draw from all this? Don't Panic! It's PRESEASON in Pittsburgh. And that has exactly NOTHING to do with how the regular season Steelers are going to look...

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I couldn't have said it any better suitanim! At this time last year I was an avid reader on msg boards but never really posted anything. I got tired of reading about everything you just mentioned which is what prompted me to join my first board.

As much as I would like to see the Steelers win a preseason game, I know it doesn't mean much except maybe the Steelers backups are better than the other backups in the league, so I try not to get to worked up over it and focus on Sept 7! That's when the true test and the Steelers title defense will commence!

Steelersfan
08-29-2006, 02:30 AM
I do like that we seem to be pretty healthy compared to last year coming out of preseason.
I think we will be fine when the games start counting!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Im not in panic mode by any means and I think we have a very good team this year with a definately opportunity to repeat as SB champs......the main thing as SA mentioned is that we are pretty healthy and the starting offense and defense did some good things. Im concerned about our backups though at some positions so we'll just see how it pans out. Preseason is where all the young guys and backups stake their claim for a roster spot and while some have stepped up and played well, others have not; which is par for the course yes, but still I'd like to see some more players taking control of roster spots as backups..especially at safety, 3rd QB (assuming we carry 3), and at the other CB backup spot.

The main goal is to stay healthy with the starters and we've managed that atleast so far.

Steelersfan
08-29-2006, 04:17 AM
You got it BRC! We managed to stay healthy and now it is time to step it up! That first game will be big. The Fins have improved and won't be an easy game. Actually our first 5 games will be a good test to see where we are.

Prosdo
08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Excellent post Suit. I have heard a lot of Steelers fans freaking out. It's preseason. Just a time to evaluate our young talent and give the vets a little practice.

House of Steel
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Wait til Sept. 7th. You will see this offense open the gates wide open and catch Miami offguard in a big way. I can see Willie rumbling through the Miami Defense on the way to pay dirt. I can see Ben having a big game. I am not worried, I am ready for the regular season to hit. We are going to have a wild ride this year on our way to MIAMI and SUPER BOWL XLI.

suitanim
08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
That's a good point about the OL and depth. We were in a bad way depth-wise last preseason. With Okobi back, Kemo and Essex getting reps and stepping up, I think we are much more solid this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Chris K and Trai Essex are 2 tough as nails guys that can really help us. Especially Chris K, that guy is just flat out mean and tough, I like that kind of attitude on the O Line.