PDA

View Full Version : Faneca may not be in mini camp

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07110/779551-66.stm

Faneca may skip Steelers minicamp
Friday, April 20, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin conducts his first minicamp this weekend, starting today, and he could be confronted with his first real issue as Steelers coach:

Will Alan Faneca show up?

Neither Faneca nor his agent, Rick Smith, returned phone calls to answer that question. But there are indications the All-Pro guard will not be in Pittsburgh this weekend.

He has attended none of the voluntary workouts with his teammates that began March 19. He is known to be unhappy with his contract that has one year remaining and with the pace of talks toward a new one. Smith said last month that he would no longer talk publicly about Faneca and that any comments about the player would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."

Faneca is not yet required by contract to show up, even for this minicamp because it is voluntary. The first time Faneca or any other Steelers player must report is the weekend of May 11, when Tomlin continues his predecessor's practice of holding a required minicamp over Mother's Day Weekend. That's when a player can be fined for not showing.

Until then, the Faneca issue will fester. The Steelers have paid him a $1 million roster bonus that came due early in March.

There could be other Steelers who do not show today other than Faneca, but the turnout for their workouts the previous month generally has been good.

Tomlin will put his new team through two workouts on the field today, two more tomorrow and one on Sunday. No pads can be worn and, supposedly, there is to be no contact during the drills.

Now Im sure Alan isn't happy that he hasn't received a new deal, hell I would be too whether I know the business or not. Im still not going to start bad mouthing the guy because he doesn't show up since it's voluntary. Do I think he should be there this weekend, yes I do, most definitely. I think it's important to get all the time in he can with the new offense, new coaches, and get back together with his teammates. I think it's important to put your best foot forward in a season coming up like we have with all the changes we've made.

On the same token, the guys been doing this for a long time, he knows how to prepare and get himself ready for the season so if he's not here this weekend, it won't be the disaster that some think it will be, IMO. Until I hear Faneca say something about the issue, I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

AZ_Steeler
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
On the same token, the guys been doing this for a long time, he knows how to prepare and get himself ready for the season so if he's not here this weekend, it won't be the disaster that some think it will be, IMO. Until I hear Faneca say something about the issue, I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.
That's actually a pretty good approach to this little non-issue at the moment. When it comes down it, I think he'll be there when it really matters. It doesn't seem like the type to hold out because of a contract issue :dunno:

TEEMONT
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
If it was that important to be there....it would be mandatory.

Friday133
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
:blah: :blah: :blah:

I remember a few years ago when Burress didn't show up because it was voluntary and Steeler nation had a fit. Everyone should be treated equal, he's under contract to the team he should be there. If not, then he's no leader and really doesn't give a **** about this team.

BB2W
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I am reading conflicting reports... many sources are saying he is there, but he will not practice. :dunno:

TEEMONT
04-20-2007, 02:24 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah:

I remember a few years ago when Burress didn't show up because it was voluntary and Steeler nation had a fit. Everyone should be treated equal, he's under contract to the team he should be there. If not, then he's no leader and really doesn't give a **** about this team.

So if your company throws out a "voluntary" session of something or other, that you won't be docked pay for missing, you're going to go? Who cares? If he doesn't show up to the mandatory ones, then I'll get ******.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
It is voluntary, so therefore, it isn't a big deal. I will start questioning him, if he doesn't show for the mandatory, cause if that happens, I will say trade his *** to a team for some picks for next year's draft or a good prized player. Burress pissed me off when he pulled that stunt Mother's Day Weekend back a few years ago.

Prosdo
04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
If he doesn't show up to mandatories then I will be upset. Hopefully the Steelers and Faneca can get the issues resolved.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 03:01 PM
You know what the issue is, the question is, will he be man enough to put his stubborn attitude to the side and finish his contract with the Steelers?

Friday133
04-20-2007, 03:11 PM
So if your company throws out a "voluntary" session of something or other, that you won't be docked pay for missing, you're going to go? Who cares? If he doesn't show up to the mandatory ones, then I'll get ******.

I'd like to know your opinion on Burress when he did the same thing.

TEEMONT
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I'd like to know your opinion on Burress when he did the same thing.

As far as I knew, Burress did it during the mandatory mother's day workouts, so it was a dick move. If it was non voluntary, then who gives a ****?

Friday133
04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
The workouts around Mother's Day are voluntary. IMO if Faneca wants to be a leader he needs to act like one. Right now he's acting like a spoiled brat.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, Friday, before we pass judgement on Faneca, I would like to hear from him directly what the hell his problem is or if there is even one. His agent seems to be making false claims on his actions. YOu can't trust people anymore, I rather go right to the source before I make an action decision on a person.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I call bullocks on Alan Faneca for skipping this mini camp and he deserves any back lash he is going to get from any fans. I said from the jump since Tomlin was hired and Faneca was acting like a bitch that he should be traded. I want his punk *** even more traded now. **** this over-rated OG. He is a OG and replaceable. Yes he is an all-pro potential Hall of Fame OG but he is just a OG. Its not like replacing a franchise LT.

Ok for starters the Steelers are coming off an 8-8 season which distractions played a huge part in their 8-8 record. You look at being defending Super Bowl champs as a distraction, Ben's accident and the whole Cowher saga as distractions.

The Steelers as a team don't need anymore distractions this year and they as a team need to focus on this upcoming 2007 season. This whole Faneca issue could be a season long distraction which wouldn't be good. I say trade him now. Trade his punk *** to the Cards so he can go have a beer with his bud Russ Grimm.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties this morning??? DAMN MAN!!!!! I think that Arizona thing I was wishing for earlier could actually come to fruit. Now who is calling me crazy now?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties this morning??? DAMN MAN!!!!! I think that Arizona thing I was wishing for earlier could actually come to fruit. Now who is calling me crazy now?

Nobody...I'm just sick of Alan Faneca. Lets see he didn't like the hiring of Mike Tomlin since he wanted his drinking buddy Russ Grimm to get the HC job. Then he was upset about Porter being cut. Now he is un-happy with his contract. Plus back in 2004 he questioned and whined when Ben took over for an injuried Tommy Maddox. I jus think this dude is a bitch.:bluelol:

I have said in the last few months they need to trade him to the Cards are whoever will take him. I just feel coming off an 8-8 season and with a new HC thats its important for the whole team to be there and focus on the upcoming season. If Cowher was still the HC then I wouldn't care so much. This is a new start and there needs to be a new commitment. This isin't the time for rich spoiled athletes to act like bitches.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I have to admit, GREAT POINTS!!!! I say trade Alan Faneca and Max Starks for their First and Second Round Picks of this year's draft. Can you imagine the gold mine we would hit with this deal? Who wouldn't be drooling over the possibililty of the greatest draft day in Steelers History?

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 04:15 PM
WOW first of all ... we really don't need that many picks. Second stop putting faneca down becuase he's still soaking up what is the rest of his vacation. I dont know who went to the optional practice but i dont think ben or ward did does that me there a bitch and want to get traded. NOOOOO. Faneca is the best guard in the NFL and he doesn't need to optinally practice then doesn't have to give him a break, yes his best friend maddox was replaced, His role mode/father is gone, the guy that was like his brother went to the dolphins OBVIOUSLY your not going to come into an optional workout with a huge smile on your face. Dont get me wrong I hate it more than anthing when players want more money it basically ruined baseball for me I would play every game for the love of the game not the money when you have a 2 million dollar mansion and all you ever want why would you want more money. BUT FANECA NEVER SAID HE WANTS OUT OR MORE MONEY. so get your head out of your *** and give Faneca a chance to tell you what he's thinking. Him and Tomlin will talk and everything we be settled. if he wants to leave then fine good riddons but stop judging him because your pissed off about your life and you need to lash it out on somebody. AND THE CARDNALS WOULDN'T TRADE FOR FANECA BECAUSE IF THEY KNOW HE WANTS TO LEAVE THEY'LL PICK HIM UP NEXT YEAR. DDDUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH. now place a knife (kitchen, butcher, nothing smaller that a swiss army knife)in the middle of your living room and close your eyes lean forward and let gravity do the rest.

Friday133
04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
WOW first of all ... we really don't need that many picks. Second stop putting faneca down becuase he's still soaking up what is the rest of his vacation. I dont know who went to the optional practice but i dont think ben or ward did does that me there a bitch and want to get traded. NOOOOO. Faneca is the best guard in the NFL and he doesn't need to optinally practice then doesn't have to give him a break, yes his best friend maddox was replaced, His role mode/father is gone, the guy that was like his brother went to the dolphins OBVIOUSLY your not going to come into an optional workout with a huge smile on your face. Dont get me wrong I hate it more than anthing when players want more money it basically ruined baseball for me I would play every game for the love of the game not the money when you have a 2 million dollar mansion and all you ever want why would you want more money. BUT FANECA NEVER SAID HE WANTS OUT OR MORE MONEY. so get your head out of your *** and give Faneca a chance to tell you what he's thinking. Him and Tomlin will talk and everything we be settled. if he wants to leave then fine good riddons but stop judging him because your pissed off about your life and you need to lash it out on somebody. AND THE CARDNALS WOULDN'T TRADE FOR FANECA BECAUSE IF THEY KNOW HE WANTS TO LEAVE THEY'LL PICK HIM UP NEXT YEAR. DDDUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH. now place a knife (kitchen, butcher, nothing smaller that a swiss army knife)in the middle of your living room and close your eyes lean forward and let gravity do the rest.

Everyone is here in Pittsburgh for the workouts except Faneca, and Polomalu. Troy let the team know beforehand and has an excuse. Ben and Ward have been here most of the offseason.

TEEMONT
04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
It doesn't matter if Faneca shows up for voluntary wok outs, he is still going to be an all pro....thats all that matters to me.

Friday133
04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Steelers' Faneca boycotts voluntary minicamp
Friday, April 20, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Alan Faneca boycotted the first day of Steelers minicamp today and is not expected to participate in any of the practices under new coach Mike Tomlin this weekend.

This first minicamp is voluntary but the next one May 11-13 is mandatory.

Faneca is unhappy with his contract, according to several of his teammates. Faneca has one year left on his deal and also is not happy with the lack of negotiations on an extension.

Also missing from today's practice sessions were safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker Clark Haggans for personal reasons.

The Steelers practice twice today, twice Saturday and once on Sunday.

Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07110/779711-66.stm)

My bad Stillers#1, I thought the May workouts were voluntary.

Friday133
04-20-2007, 04:27 PM
It doesn't matter if Faneca shows up for voluntary wok outs, he is still going to be an all pro....thats all that matters to me.

Hopefully for another team. :bigthumb:

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 04:35 PM

That sounds like a threat to me, pal. You want to edit that before you get the boot or the flag for unsportsmanlike conduct???

Faneca being very unhappy about his contract and the talks for an extension,
Well that speaks volumes. I wonder what the threatening knife guy want to say about this one. Got a change of views now?

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I did know that. but i still stand by my opinion

and no i was not making a treat to anyone just giving some advice to people that bash Faneca for no apparent reason, untill they have a reason to then they can bash away if it makes them feel better.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 04:41 PM
and his agent talked for faneca because he wanted faneca to get more money like all the agents do so no my view is still rock solid

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I did know that. but i still stand by my opinion

and no i was not making a treat to anyone just giving some advice to people that bash Faneca for no apparent reason, untill they have a reason to then they can bash away if it makes them feel better.

that is no sound advice if you ask people in this room, that is a threat. Faneca is getting old, yes, he still has a few good years left in him, but he is on the decline. It is time to build for the future to get younger and faster. My point is, WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT FANECA?

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I GIVE A SHITE ABOUT FANECA. hes our best lineman IMO. if he leaves then i might agree with you but for now he has done nothing to make think he wants to leave (even though the no optional practice is a little sketchy). and I DID NOT say im going to make you fall on a knife. i just told him that he should, if i told some to kill themselfs doesn't mean im treating them. and anyways i never say i wanted whoever to fall on the knife to die on impact i did'nt even say i wanted them to get hurt just what happens hapens.

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I GIVE A SHITE ABOUT FANECA. hes our best lineman IMO. if he leaves then i might agree with you but for now he has done nothing to make think he wants to leave (even though the no optional practice is a little sketchy). and I DID NOT say im going to make you fall on a knife. i just told him that he should, if i told some to kill themselfs doesn't mean im treating them. and anyways i never say i wanted whoever to fall on the knife to die on impact i did'nt even say i wanted them to get hurt just what happens hapens.

I could care less, but the point of the matter is you said what you did and people are going to think of it as a threat. Also, you mention for someone to put the knife in the middle of a floor, shut your eyes, and let gravity do the rest. Now, preytell, how would you view that if someone told you that??? I would start having the walk on eggshell approach to posting now. That was a not cool thing to do. I DON'T GIVE A **** FOR FANECA RIGHT NOW cause we have a lot more talent that could plug that hole in. FANECA IS GETTING OLD, he is 31 if I am not mistaken, that is up there in age. It is time to get youth involved in this team. Players are going to come and go.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
i never wanted someone to be itimetaded to post, thats not at all the message i was trying to send at all. you know i just wanted you know a nice little knife falling is all. but i do apologize if i did affend anybody

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
It is cool, but you know lay off the weapons talks. You know we live in a society now where you say those words and it does induce panic. Call me nuts, but it is the darn truth, ask the law that one.

steelersgal86
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
:grouphug:

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Who cares? Faneca is on his way out. Plain and simple. Hell If I was colbert. I be on the phone with the cardinals right now. Looking to make a deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Im going to wait and see what happens with the May minicamps. If he doesn't show up for those then we know indeed he is making a public display of being unhappy with his deal and situation on the team right now.

I want him there as much as anyone but I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually doesn't show up for a mandatory camp or comes out tells the media something for himself.

Stlrs4Life
04-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, I can see everybodies point. But if Alan is a leader on the team, he should be leading by example. He should be there and get over the fact that the Steelers didn'thire his buddy to be the HC. And as far as I'm concerned, he is still under conteract and collecting a paycheck until after this season.

Friday133
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, I can see everybodies point. But if Alan is a leader on the team, he should be leading by example. He should be there and get over the fact that the Steelers didn'thire his buddy to be the HC. And as far as I'm concerned, he is still under conteract and collecting a paycheck until after this season.

:bigthumb:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 10:16 PM
just wait untill minicamp and we all see whats up with him. if hes being an *** we'll i will hate him with the rest of you but right now I still look at him as one of the greatest linemen in steelers history and I am am very proud to have him on this team.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Hey Bricktown Beast I can bash whoever the **** I want. Is this your ****ing site? No I don't ****ing think so. So **** off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I never said you CAN'T bash Faneca BASH. BASH AWAY

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 12:22 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn2:

Steelerlyn
04-21-2007, 12:50 AM

That is the most intelligent account I have read regarding #66 and his "holdouts"
:bigthumb:

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 12:57 AM
It is cool, but you know lay off the weapons talks. You know we live in a society now where you say those words and it does induce panic. Call me nuts, but it is the darn truth, ask the law that one.

You're nuts.

My bad Stillers#1, I thought the May workouts were voluntary.

It's all good, no worries, I read that same article earlier, I just didn't post it.

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Once again, having problems with me, if so, may I ask why?

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Once again, having problems with me, if so, may I ask why?

You said "call me nuts", I called you nuts.

House of Steel
04-21-2007, 01:21 AM
ROTFLMAO, OH I get it!!! sorry.

SteelerFan87
04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Ok, to the people who are pissed and want Faneca traded, do you realize how idiotic that is? As I've said before, when Faneca leaves, we WILL miss the playoffs. He's THAT important. Now, it's VOLUNTARY mini camp. I really don't care if he's not there. He wants a new contract. I don't have a problem with that. Were people demanding that Hines be traded when HE wanted a new contract? Faneca is a good guy. I'm sure that it's not a problem with Tomlin, just like it wasn't a problem with Ben 2 years ago. People make such a big deal out of what Faneca says. Why? Faneca speaks his mind. Oh no! Stop reading so much into it. Anyone who's "excited" to have his starting QB get hurt and have a rookie take over is an idiot, plain and simple. That's what Faneca was saying, not that he hated Ben. Someone asked him the question and he answered it truthfully. As for Tomlin, OF COURSE Faneca would have liked his friend Grimm to get the job. That doesn't mean he hates Tomlin, or the Rooneys, or that he won't do his job when it comes time to do so.

And for everyone so shocked that someone would dare not show up for such an important VOLUNTARY mini camp, guess what Troy's "personal reason" for not being there is? He's in Greece. On a trip. Obviously Troy would have made sure that was ok with the Rooneys and Tomlin. So if THEY don't think voluntary mini camp is enough of a big deal to tell Troy not to go on his trip, why do we think the sky is falling because Faneca didn't show up?

TEEMONT
04-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I agree with that guy

House of Steel
04-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Troy had an obligation of being at a Christan Camp according to Steelers.com

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Ok, to the people who are pissed and want Faneca traded, do you realize how idiotic that is? As I've said before, when Faneca leaves, we WILL miss the playoffs. He's THAT important. Now, it's VOLUNTARY mini camp. I really don't care if he's not there. He wants a new contract. I don't have a problem with that. Were people demanding that Hines be traded when HE wanted a new contract? Faneca is a good guy. I'm sure that it's not a problem with Tomlin, just like it wasn't a problem with Ben 2 years ago. People make such a big deal out of what Faneca says. Why? Faneca speaks his mind. Oh no! Stop reading so much into it. Anyone who's "excited" to have his starting QB get hurt and have a rookie take over is an idiot, plain and simple. That's what Faneca was saying, not that he hated Ben. Someone asked him the question and he answered it truthfully. As for Tomlin, OF COURSE Faneca would have liked his friend Grimm to get the job. That doesn't mean he hates Tomlin, or the Rooneys, or that he won't do his job when it comes time to do so.

And for everyone so shocked that someone would dare not show up for such an important VOLUNTARY mini camp, guess what Troy's "personal reason" for not being there is? He's in Greece. On a trip. Obviously Troy would have made sure that was ok with the Rooneys and Tomlin. So if THEY don't think voluntary mini camp is enough of a big deal to tell Troy not to go on his trip, why do we think the sky is falling because Faneca didn't show up?

Finally ! The few....the proud...the SA members who aren't wigging out over Faneca's situation right now :tt02: :greengrin:

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Why cause your just might be looking at Faneca's last season in black and gold. Trade him now if you cannot reach a contract extension. Instead of risk losing him for nothing later.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2007, 01:31 AM
But you know the Rooney's will never do it, it's not their normal protocol in a situation like this with a player like Faneca.

TEEMONT
04-22-2007, 01:34 AM
When Faneca leaves, it's going to be weird. For the first time ever a Steeler won't be my favorite player. I will def buy his jersey.

BlitzburghNation
04-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Why cause your just might be looking at Faneca's last season in black and gold. Trade him now if you cannot reach a contract extension. Instead of risk losing him for nothing later.

:iagree:

TEEMONT
04-22-2007, 01:36 AM

No one is going to give up a draft pick for a guy they can get next year by giving him a decent contract.

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-22-2007, 01:50 AM
No one is going to give up a draft pick for a guy they can get next year by giving him a decent contract.

Injuries that can change the bargaining power real quick.

SteelerFan87
04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Troy had an obligation of being at a Christan Camp according to Steelers.com

I wouldn't call it a Christian "camp", but that's somewhat close. Some people from my church and other churches in the area were going to go on a trip to Constantinople to visit the Patriarchate (somewhat like the Greek Orthodox version of the Vatican), and then visit a monastery in Greece. I'm sure Troy knew about the mini camp LONG before my priest told him about this trip. It was by no means something he had to do, but he decided to go because he wanted to. I'm sure if the voluntary mini camp was so important, he'd have stayed here and gone to mini camp.

TEEMONT
04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't call it a Christian "camp", but that's somewhat close. Some people from my church and other churches in the area were going to go on a trip to Constantinople to visit the Patriarchate (somewhat like the Greek Orthodox version of the Vatican), and then visit a monastery in Greece. I'm sure Troy knew about the mini camp LONG before my priest told him about this trip. It was by no means something he had to do, but he decided to go because he wanted to. I'm sure if the voluntary mini camp was so important, he'd have stayed here and gone to mini camp.

Exactly! It's cool so many guys ahve shown up, but not a huge deal when your all-pro's aren't there IMO.

House of Steel
04-22-2007, 03:57 PM
thanks for clearing that up, 87 :bigthumb:

SteelerFan87
04-22-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for clearing that up, 87 :bigthumb:

No problem HoS. Happy to provide any "inside information". :lol:

House of Steel
04-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Inside :eek: Hmmmmmm....well you seem to know a lot more than some of us here do. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2007, 04:31 PM
As long as you have prior approval from the team to miss a practice, or voluntary workout it's no biggie. As Stillers mentioned Troy is allpro, I think he'll be more than ready for the season when the time comes ;)

SteelerFan87
04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Inside :eek: Hmmmmmm....well you seem to know a lot more than some of us here do. :lol:

Well that's what happens when Troy Polamalu goes to your church. :lol:

House of Steel
04-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Must be nice, wonder if everyone leaves him at peace.

SteelerFan87
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Must be nice, wonder if everyone leaves him at peace.

Yeah, for the most part. He's really quiet and extremely polite, so after the initial "oh my God it's Troy Polamalu!" reactions, people kind of treat him as normally as you could expect I guess. :lol:

The funniest thing is when he starts playing with some of the little kids, and the ones old enough to know who he is just stand there in awe. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Dude, if Troy went to my church and started playing games with my son I'd be in awe too ! :lol: What a cool thing !