PDA

View Full Version : Paul Posluszny for #1 pick?

RckyMtnStlrFan
04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
What does everyone think of Posluszny for our first round pick? I haven't heard that the Steelers are interested but I think he'd be a perfect fit and he'd fill a void at OLB depth.He twice won the Bednarik award for the nations top defensive player and he won the Butkus award for the nations best LB. Jack Ham (one of the best LB's ever!) said he was the best LB to ever play at Penn State. Plus, he has a great off-season workout program and an excellent work ethic.

I think we need to draft an OLB for our first pick. I haven't really seen him in action much, but from what I've read he seems perfect for the Steelers. I'd like to hear everyones pros and cons.

K Train
04-20-2007, 03:09 AM
hes hardly perfect for us other than hes a tough player, he would be a good MLB for us, but hes better suited as a weakside lb in a 4-3....i would love to have him, but we have bigger needs. the only way i would draft him in the forst is if we traded our 15th for the pats 2 late first rounders

jasonbay
04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I would love to have him , before his injury he was tackling crazy, But I would shy away from him for the 15th pick , when he moved to the middle last year and had the knee brace he wasnt even close to what he was like when the Nittony Lions made the Orange Bowl run.

RckyMtnStlrFan
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok, so it doesn't seem as though you guys think he's not as good as I thought. Like I said I was mostly going off what I read about him.

So the new question is who do you think will be the best available LB at #15? And, do you think that's the direction we will/should go?

House of Steel
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't think we should even consider Pols. I would be better off picking up a pass rusher, Anthony Spencer or Amobi Okoye (I found out Okoye is born on the same day I was, that is freaky)

BB2W
04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Poz is a heck of a player... but he doesn't have the pass rush ability off the edge that we need. He would be better off in the middle in the 3-4 and outside in a 4-3. Don't get me wrong... I'd be very happy if they drafted him.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
yeah I think he would be great at any LB in our 3-4 I'd want him to move to middle and Farrior to go to rolb . wow thats would be so nice. but a pass rusher is smarter and a pick we should get. I just dont want Poz to go to the Patssies and I dont want Brian Leanord to go to the Giants. but when Farrior leaves i hope there another Poz in the draft for us.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2007, 06:42 PM
The dude is a hell of a player, he's as tough as they come, I just think he fits the needs we have to justify a 1st round pick on him.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Still ... a part of me wants us to draft him

strong D
04-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Great player but like someone already stated we need a pass rusher he would fit well in a 4-3 or even move to middle lb he kinda reminds me of urlacher

RckyMtnStlrFan
04-21-2007, 02:24 AM
It's good to see people pullin' for him. I agree that we need a pass rusher, but I think he would make a great Steeler. Like Brick said we could move Farrior to the outside. I think Farrior would be good outside. After researching some more and seeing what everyone else has posted I still wouldn't be upset if we got him.

I admit that I'm not very educated about the draft class, probably due to the fact that, in my younger years, I thought it was more important to be a drug addict than go to college(what an awesome decision that was!). So I don't follow college ball as much as I should. So, what are the pass rushing prospects that might be available. The only prospect that I've seen posted is Okoye and the "experts" are predicting he'll be drafted before #15.

Here's a cool vid of Puz stopping a run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTh3DlLr20I

Koopa
04-21-2007, 02:36 AM
i really like poz, i think he's gonna be a very good nfl player, and i would love him in black and gold, but i think we have much more needs, if we draft him, fine, lets get woodly in the second, but i want anthony spencer, or timmons in the first round......

BB2W
04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
i really like poz, i think he's gonna be a very good nfl player, and i would love him in black and gold, but i think we have much more needs, if we draft him, fine, lets get woodly in the second, but i want anthony spencer, or timmons in the first round......Whoa!... Koopa backing three PSU players in one draft (Poz, Hunt, and Brown)!!! Why do I think you don't like PSU players... am I wrong?

This year I think you are like me... you respect them all, but can only justify Hunt. Poz and Brown are prolly both locks but not really a need/fit for us.

Factoid: If junior cornerback and high school blue chip recruit Justin King comes out as a junior in 2008 he will be the best corner in the draft... if not, he will be as senior. Watch for Derrick Williams too... but he has some work to do.

Koopa
04-21-2007, 02:52 AM
:lol: i've never had a problem with psu players or the school, i may talk **** just to yank you chain, but other then that i don't have a problem with them because they ain't a threat to anything my longhorns do

BB2W
04-21-2007, 02:54 AM
:lol: i've never had a problem with psu players or the school, i may talk **** just to yank you chain, but other then that i don't have a problem with them because they ain't a threat to anything my longhorns doFunny, someday your Longhorns will hit a lull like Penn State did... I hope. :greengrin:

MillerTime83
04-21-2007, 03:12 AM
watching more and more film from poz last year I definatly see him as a ILB im going to have to see some film on him as a OLB because he defenatly got me sold on him being a ILB. I like Poz a lot and I wouldnt mind us taking him high. Very much Urlacher like.

RckyMtnStlrFan
04-21-2007, 03:15 AM
watching more and more film from poz last year I definatly see him as a ILB im going to have to see some film on him as a OLB because he defenatly got me sold on him being a ILB. I like Poz a lot and I wouldnt mind us taking him high. Very much Urlacher like.

And there isn't a team in the NFL that couldn't use an Urlacher.

BB2W
04-21-2007, 03:18 AM
watching more and more film from poz last year I definatly see him as a ILB im going to have to see some film on him as a OLB because he defenatly got me sold on him being a ILB. I like Poz a lot and I wouldnt mind us taking him high. Very much Urlacher like.He played outside up until last year... of course that was outside in a 4-3. Poz will make plays all over the field no matter where he lines up. Shaw played middle until getting moved to defensive end.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Poz, can def play OLB or MLB the problem is he isnt a great blitzer, yet! He's such a great athelete i think thats something he can improve on. I think he is the safest defensive pick in his draft, by far!!!

SteelersWoman
04-25-2007, 10:02 PM
For those who are "pro Poz", here's a story you'll wanna read....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_504204.html

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1407/0424posbch3.jpg
By Sam Ross Jr. (sross@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paul Posluszny's dream is to trade the blue and white of Penn State for the black and gold of the Steelers.
"I'd love to play for the Steelers," Posluszny said by cell phone from the airport in New Orleans, where he'd been for a pre-draft interview with the Saints. "I'd absolutely love to."
But Pittsburgh is not a likely destination for the linebacker from Aliquippa. He's visited the Saints, San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos. A sampling of mock drafts has him going to Carolina, the New York Giants, Saints or New England, all in the first round Saturday. If the Steelers, who have the No. 15 pick, go the linebacker route, they are expected to look elsewhere. "I talked to them at the combine, a sit-down interview," Posluszny said of the Steelers. "Other than that, at our pro day at Penn State, they had a couple of scouts, but nothing real major.

"Other teams had me talk to their linebacker coaches on the phone, or they'd come to Penn State and sit down and watch film. I'm hoping (the Steelers) know all they need to know."

At Penn State, Posluszny was the consummate leader, leaving with the school's all-time tackle record and multiple All-America recognitions, both athletic and academic, in addition to winning the Butkus Award as a junior and the Bednarik Award as a junior and senior.
Former Steelers and Penn State linebacking great Jack Ham, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, labeled Posluszny as the best linebacker ever to play at Penn State during his junior season.
Yet there is a wide variance in the assessments of Posluszny's pro prospects.
"I know some teams in the league that have him graded in the third or fourth round," said Mike Mayock, the draft expert for the NFL Network, who despite that, expects Posluszny to be selected from the 22nd pick to the 32nd of the first round.
"One of those playoff teams is going to sit there and say, 'Hey, smart, tough, fairly instinctive, clean off the field.' He can come in on day one -- the 4-3 team -- and play the weak outside linebacker and be a good player, but not a great player."
Posluszny had toyed with the idea of declaring for the NFL draft after his junior season, but a knee injury suffered in the Orange Bowl helped guarantee his return to Penn State. He played with varying knee braces last season, although the injury did not require surgery.
"I don't think he's a top-10 pick, but he'll go somewhere between 20 and 30," said Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys personnel man who analyzes the draft for NFL.com. "He's good, and he'll play a long time."
Brandt mentioned a flaw in Posluszny's game that others have identified -- problems in pass coverage.
"He didn't look good at the Senior Bowl in man coverage, and I asked him about it, and he said they're zone coverage people at Penn State," Brandt said.
ESPN analyst Merril Hoge praised Posluszny's run-stopping skills.
"He's very good in the box, his hands, he gets off (blocks ) well, he's got good feet," Hoge said. "He's not a very good cover guy. He gets beat a lot. That's an area where you can improve, though."
Posluszny plans to spend the first day of the draft at home with his parents and family.
"I'm sure I'll be nervous and live and die with every pick," he said. "I definitely want to keep it low key. But I know I'm going to get a chance. I'm looking forward to that, and I'm going to make sure I do the most with it."

Sam Ross Jr. can be reached at sross@tribweb.com (sross@tribweb.com) or (724) 838-5144.

BlitzburghNation
04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Really like pozy :bigthumb: I think i like spencer even better :greengrin:

Everyone knows my 1st choice is okoye,but he's gonna be gone :banging:

So Pozy or spencer will be fine with me :popcorn:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Ok so we trade Faneca for the chance to get Poz & Spencer ! :lol: ok maybe not...

BlitzburghNation
04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok so we trade Faneca for the chance to get Poz & Spencer ! :lol: ok maybe not...

Good ideal TG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelersWoman
04-26-2007, 01:09 AM
....Everyone knows my 1st choice is okoye...

I really like that kid. I saw him do part of the NFL show with Rich Eisen during the Super Bowl, and he's quite impressive. Very nice, well educated and spoken, exceptionally talented.

K Train
04-26-2007, 01:21 AM
dude **** okoye......we dont need him and although he has this great "upside" he also has the biggest bust factor in the draft. we dont need a NT, we have one of if not THE best one...if tomlin drafts okoye (wont happen) he'd be running us into the ground with that huge hole at OLB

Koopa
04-26-2007, 01:25 AM
dude **** okoye......we dont need him and although he has this great "upside" he also has the biggest bust factor in the draft. we dont need a NT, we have one of if not THE best one...if tomlin drafts okoye (wont happen) he'd be running us into the ground with that huge hole at OLB

we might be over estimating the hole there, haggans will start, and harrison will start............ the rookie will get a chance, but not sure if tomlin will go with a rookie early........ there is a lot of pressure for tomlin to win and win right out the gate..............

K Train
04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
yeah but what happens when haggans sucks ***....rookies are more pro ready every year....and we had a coach with no faith in them so this could be a completely different story...maybe timmons is ready to go day one or spencer....whoever...christ this is a long *** week

Koopa
04-26-2007, 01:41 AM
or maybe with this being a contract year, and haggans having a pre mature baby will motivate him, and he'll be beastly :dunno:

i hope we address our OLB need, however, i think a lot of us have been over estimating it..........

damn this has been a long wait, i've gone up and down like a mothersucking roller coaster on who i want

i'm just ready for saturday.........

K Train
04-26-2007, 01:46 AM
to be honest i think i'll be ok as long as its not hall or carriker....and dont you go back on that.....stand by that one no matter what lol

Koopa
04-26-2007, 01:51 AM
:lol:, yeah i'll be pissed if we get a corner or carriker......... i rather us draft the punter from baylor..........

SteelersWoman
04-26-2007, 02:44 AM
....this is a long...week

... this has been a long wait...

i'm just ready for saturday.........

Yes,
yes, and
me too! :cabbagepatch: