PDA

View Full Version : Athletes' To Babies for "Repair Kits?"

Hawk Believer
08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
From the article linked below. This is not a satire piece.

PREMIERSHIP footballers are storing stem cells from their newborn babies as a potential future treatment for their own career-threatening sports injuries.
They are freezing the cells taken from the umbilical cord blood of their babies as a possible future cure for cartilage and ligament problems. Stem cells can be used to regenerate damaged organs and tissue because they are the earliest form of cells.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C2087-2330444%2C00.html

Pretty wierd stuff. This practice will likely become standard for all newborns to have some back up cells to use for themselves. But using your kid's cells for yourself? I don't think thats a great precident for athletes.

Can you imagine the pressure this might create for elite athletes to have a baby if this became common? Not a great reason to start a family IMO.

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Hopefully they get some type of regulation on this before it gets to far out of hand. My wife and I thought about doing this for our baby when he's born, but I would never think about using it for myself. Would that even work using your own babies cells from the chord?