PDA

View Full Version : Curses!

Hawk Believer
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
OK, so my Seahawks supposedly have 2 big curses working against them this season. The Super Bowl loser curse and the Madden curse.

I honestly don't believe in curses but I think they are a fun part of American sports culture. So here is my question. What does Seattle have to achieve to officially break the curse?

1. Super Bowl curse - Make the playoffs? Or win a play off game?

2. Madden Cover Curse - Shaun Alexander must finish the season healthy? Rush for over 1000 yards? 1500? Its an extremely high standard to say he has to put up the same numbers as last year....

Anyway, just wanted to get some preseason thoughts on what the criteria is for the curses to be broken...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
We've been part of one curse or another all last year so we know how you feel :lol:

As far as the SB loss goes, the only way to break that is to win the super bowl IMO. When we played the cowboys in SB XXX we lost and it took us all this time to break that curse..we tried year in and year out and came close but no cigar till last year.

The problem with Alexander isnt the Madden curse..its the curse he put on himself for setting the standards so high last year..now granted the numbers he got last year aren't something you'll get every year out of him but if goes for between 1200 and 1500 yds and say 15 TD's I'd say you could consider that Madden curse a thing of the past.

Good luck ! :lol:

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure of the criteria for being the Super bowl losers ( I don't mean that to sound as negative as it does ), but for the Madden curse Alexander needs to just make it throught the season without getting injured.

Hawk Believer
08-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I just googled the SB curse. Apparently the last 5 runner ups have followed the Super Bowl with losing seasons. Hopefully we beat that standard.

I also learned that we now have a 3rd curse, the Chunky soup curse since Hasselbeck started reping for Campbells. But that would mean Ben would be going down with him!:dunno:

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I just googled the SB curse. Apparently the last 5 runner ups have followed the Super Bowl with losing seasons. Hopefully we beat that standard.

I also learned that we now have a 3rd curse, the Chunky soup curse since Hasselbeck started reping for Campbells. But that would mean Ben would be going down with him!:dunno:

Ben had his motorcycle accident so that fullfilled his chunky soup curse ;) :dunno:

Hawk Believer
08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Ben had his motorcycle accident so that fullfilled his chunky soup curse ;) :dunno:
Well, got to give Ben credit for getting that out of the way in the off season.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2006, 05:49 PM
As long as its not Donovan and his mom any more, I don't really care who does those damn chunky soup commercials !!!!

:lol:

Hawk Believer
08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Here is what Snopes has to say about the Chunky Soup and Madden Curse. The Madden link has a good timeline of each player and what happened to them. Thier conclusion with both curses is that the NFL is a rough league and its hard to stay healthy and on top. So when a player does well and gets endorsments, there is a good chance they won't do as well in the future irregardless of the endorsments.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/chunky.asp

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Here is what Snopes has to say about the Chunky Soup and Madden Curse. The Madden link has a good timeline of each player and what happened to them. Thier conclusion with both curses is that the NFL is a rough league and its hard to stay healthy and on top. So when a player does well and gets endorsments, there is a good chance they won't do as well in the future irregardless of the endorsments.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/chunky.asp

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

Those were some good reads! I guess Jerome broke his curse :D

Hawk Believer
12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Bump.

Was thinking about the whole curse thing the other day. I don't believe in them but I find it interesting to see if they seemingly work out each season...

Madden Curse - Shaun Alexander gets on the cover of Madden 06 - Ends up with a broken foot and missing over half the season. Hasn't been terriblel when he has played but hasn't come close to returning to the previous season's form. And had his single season TD record smashed in less than a year. Curse affirmed this year.

Chunky Soup Curse - Matt Hasselbeck and Ben Roethlesberger got to the SB and get the Campbell Chunky Soup contract. Ben gets into a motorcycle accident, gets appendicitis, and proceeds to have his worst NFL season ever. Matt starts off with a so-so season but misses 4 or 5 games with a knee ligament injury. Curse affirmed this year.

Super Bowl Loser Curse - Seahawks lose the SB and are supposed to not make the playoffs. Despite a heroic late season effort by the Seahawks to keep this curse's streak alive, the rest of the NFC West was just so pathetic that the Seahawks won the division and make the playoffs. Not that they deserve it. Course there are some grumblings amongst those bitter individuals who are still stuck on SB officiating conspiracy theories saying the SB loser curse is still intact... But alas, the record books will always say otherwise.

Captcoolhand
12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I know it's Madden,but don't forget Maddens game - Headcoach:scratch:
With madden, Players got hurt(if on cover) but with Headcoach, Our coach retires:dunno:

Hawk Believer
12-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I know it's Madden,but don't forget Maddens game - Headcoach:scratch:
With madden, Players got hurt(if on cover) but with Headcoach, Our coach retires:dunno:

How consistant is that curse in recent years?

steelcurtain09
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
it has been 100% for its entire existance :lol:

Hawk Believer
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Bumping an old thread here....

The SuperBowl Loser curse is back in effect this year after a 1 season hiatus. In fact, niether team from last year's NFC championship game will be in the playoffs. When was the last time that happened?

The Madden curse hasn't seemed to effect Vince Young. Yet. But Shaun Alexander, much to my dismay, really seemed to have solidified his position in Madden curse lore after his 2nd terrible season in a row following his cover shot...

GoBenGo
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Curses or conspiracies???
Somehow tied to the NFL's master plan to have NE go undefeated and save their network...the refs, Sports Illustrated, CHunky, Madden :yesnod: yeah, their all in on it...

Koopa
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
actually it did hit vince, he's missed games because of injury and his play has dropped off a lot, he isn't that good this year, last year he was the team, this year the team actually helped him get in the playoffs

Hawk Believer
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Curses or conspiracies???
Somehow tied to the NFL's master plan to have NE go undefeated and save their network...the refs, Sports Illustrated, CHunky, Madden :yesnod: yeah, their all in on it...

Kinda hard to keep track of the Chunky Soup curse... Seems like there are a lot of players doing those commercials these days.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Somebody needs to give this curse to the Pats :reddevil:

Koopa
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Somebody needs to give this curse to the Pats :reddevil:

they've been crused with a team that is to damn good

Hawk Believer
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I bet Brady is a pretty strong candidate for the cover of Madden next year....

Hawk Believer
04-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Looks like we can officially add Alexander to Madden curse since he got two years after being on the cover. Vince Young seems to have avoided the curse so far. Have they announced the cover for next year?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2008, 06:01 AM
You guys won't get out from under the curses until Mike Holmgren retires :lol:

Hawk Believer
04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I just saw that Brett Farve will be on the cover of Madden 08. So I guess the curse will continue. His career will definitely take a dive this year.