PDA

View Full Version : Ginn runs and impresses

K Train
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Although his stamina was less than ideal following months of rehabilitation for a sprained foot, Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. was still clocked in the 4.3s in the 40-yard sprint during a Wednesday workout for NFL scouts, a performance which likely strengthened his status as a top 15 selection in this month's draft.

Ginn, who was unable to work out at the NFL combine sessions at Indianapolis in February, and, thus, was viewed as a bit of a wild card in the first round, ran the 40 three times during Wednesday's campus audition. According to scouts present at the workout, Ginn's times were between 4.37-4.45 seconds.

Had he been healthy, Ginn hoped to challenge Deion Sanders' unofficial combine record in the 40-yard sprint, 4.29 seconds, but his injury precluded that. The Buckeyes' star recently has been running consistently in the 4.3s during training sessions, and his Wednesday times should have been more than satisfactory for scouts.

Overall conditioning remains a problem, however, for Ginn, who probably needs three or four more weeks to be back to optimum shape. Ginn suffered a left mid-foot sprain when teammates piled on him to celebrate his 93-yard touchdown return of the opening kickoff in the BCS championship game against the University of Florida more than two months ago.

The workout on Wednesday consisted of Ginn running the 40 and of going through a series of receiving drills. Scouts said Ginn caught the ball well and demonstrated a fluid running style but that, with his foot still not 100 percent, he was not as explosive in and out of his cuts as they project him to be when he is fully recovered.

Most teams rate Ginn the No. 2 wide receiver prospect in the draft, behind only Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, and some projections have him a top 10 choice. Beyond the foot injury, the only other concerns about Ginn revolve around his thin build. At the combine, he measured 5-feet-11 and 178 pounds.

In three seasons, Ginn was one of the college game's most dynamic playmakers, both as a receiver and a return man. He posted 125 receptions for 1,943 yards and 15 touchdowns in 37 games at Ohio State. Ginn averaged 14.1 yards and scored six times on 64 punt returns. He scored two touchdowns, and averaged 26.6 yards on 38 kickoff returns, and rushed 28 times for 213 yards and three touchdowns.

His six touchdowns on combined kick returns tied an NCAA career record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2833744

AZ_Steeler
04-12-2007, 02:15 AM
I've heard rumors of the Steelers going for a WR in the first round :dunno: again those are just rumors that I have heard... anyhow Ginn is a play maker and could drastically help the Steelers primarily in their return game! I think the Steelers getting Ginn is a stretch since drafting Holmes first round last year, but then again the Steelers had us all :scratch: last year :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Ginn is a beast, 4.3 speed is just blistering fast; the stamina will come back in time with training and workouts.

I still hope we don't go WR in the 1st round, definitely we take one in the draft late day 1 or early day 2 but good grief please don't go WR with the #15 pick Tomlin ! :eek:

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Ginn is a beast, 4.3 speed is just blistering fast; the stamina will come back in time with training and workouts.

I still hope we don't go WR in the 1st round, definitely we take one in the draft late day 1 or early day 2 but good grief please don't go WR with the #15 pick Tomlin ! :eek:

That could very well be possible. They could still grab someone like Woodley in the second round at OLB. I am not convinced that Ginn is a top 15 pick. Think I would rather have Bowe who is one of the bigger receivers in this draft. We already have small and fast. We need a big receiver who can outleap all those small cover corners IMO.

:yesnod:

strong D
04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I would hate to go wr with pick 15 also but just imagine the speed with Holmes and Ginn WOW:greengrin:

House of Steel
04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
robert meachem ring a bell??? :greengrin: This kid flat out impressed everyone at Tennessee.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
That could very well be possible. They could still grab someone like Woodley in the second round at OLB. I am not convinced that Ginn is a top 15 pick. Think I would rather have Bowe who is one of the bigger receivers in this draft. We already have small and fast. We need a big receiver who can outleap all those small cover corners IMO.

:yesnod:

WOW i finally agree with something you said!!!! LOL, just playing, though i wish they would draft that way... After Adams i dont see much separation in the rest of the LB/DE feild in the first 2-3 rnds. I like the idea of a WR that can make an immediate dif.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Jim Tressel has said he has seen him run hi 4.1's-low 4.2's... was he bullsh*tting.. who knows...

House of Steel
04-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Ginn should of stayed at Ohio State for another season, why?, First of all, bummed ankle is going to hurt his stock a little. Secondly, he can prove all the doubters about his abilities. He can flat out run like hell 4.15-4.24 I was told by my best friend who was able to watch him sprint last season. My best friend is a graduate of OSU. BIG TIME FOOTBALL FAN. He is devilish fast when he is at full strength. Be nice to get him on the return team at full strength. BONZAI!!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Ginn should of stayed at Ohio State for another season, why?, First of all, bummed ankle is going to hurt his stock a little. Secondly, he can prove all the doubters about his abilities. He can flat out run like hell 4.15-4.24 I was told by my best friend who was able to watch him sprint last season. My best friend is a graduate of OSU. BIG TIME FOOTBALL FAN. He is devilish fast when he is at full strength. Be nice to get him on the return team at full strength. BONZAI!!!!

It def wouldnt have hurt him in the experience factor, but maybe not finacially (which i dont think his family has a problem with!!! i think he is from a pretty financially stable family unlike some kids who do come out prematurely) i think he will be a top 20 draft pick maybe 2nd wr taken where as next year he would still most likely not be a top 5, but who knows... plus no anthony gonzales, pittman and no Heisman QB in Troy Smith, might as well leave in my opinion.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
we have ward and holmes and then we have Washington who will have more of Ben looking towards him Wilson carries his wieght and everyone forgot about Ried so I would strongly disagree with a reciever at all on day 1 I would go as low as round 5 for a WR. and the only reason I would want a WR is for Special teams, I wouldn't mind another ANTWAN.

BlackGold4vr
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
WOW i finally agree with something you said!!!! LOL, just playing, though i wish they would draft that way... After Adams i dont see much separation in the rest of the LB/DE feild in the first 2-3 rnds. I like the idea of a WR that can make an immediate dif.

It's those differences of opinions that give us something to talk about. If we all thought exactly alike this site wouldn't be interesting enough to bother with. I love to debate with people as long as they don't come across as though their opinion is right and everybody else's is wrong. In the end we are all part of Steeler Nation and are rooting for the same team!

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

strong D
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Remember after the 07 season Ward is due a roster bonus which i believe is at about $8 million i like hines but he is an aging wr unless he restructures i dont see the steelers giving him that kind of money so if the best player on the steelers board is a wr dont be suprised.

REMEMBER the steelers history with aging players whos play has slipped they dont keep them.
KIRKLAND
WOODSON
LAKE
PORTER
GREENE
ODONNEL
GILDON
THIGPEN
LLOYD
ERIC GREEN
EARL HOLMES
That is just some off the top of my head

BlackGold4vr
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Remember after the 07 season Ward is due a roster bonus which i believe is at about $8 million i like hines but he is an aging wr unless he restructures i dont see the steelers giving him that kind of money so if the best player on the steelers board is a wr dont be suprised.

REMEMBER the steelers history with aging players whos play has slipped they dont keep them.
KIRKLAND
WOODSON
LAKE
PORTER
GREENE
ODONNEL
GILDON
THIGPEN
LLOYD
ERIC GREEN
EARL HOLMES
That is just some off the top of my head

The thing that I don't like about negotiating contracts is that people always expect it to be based on past performance and not what a player projects to do in the future. Hines is definitely a fan favorite but with a roster bonus of 8 mil due I wouldn't want the Steelers to pay that either. He is on the downside of his career and IMO if he wasn't willing to redo his contract and taper off his salary then he should go somewhere else where a team agrees with him on his worth and value. It's a business and its a team sport. No team can afford to allow 1 man out of 53 to eat up 9 or 10% of the cap. Any aging veteran who wants to remain with the organization and fans that they spent most of their career with should be willing to taper his salary off as his skills diminish. Teams that are known for overpaying players of lesser value are not the teams normally associated with winning.

strong D
04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree thats why i say dont be suprised if we do draft a wr with our first pick

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
The more i think about Ginn the more i like him at that pick... the latest mocks have him dropping to be avail. at 15. I like this pick cause he wont be coming in to try to compete for the #1, Hines has that in the bag. He will have to seriously impress to work his way to outseat Holmes at #2. So in all likelyhood he will be #3 and returner. He wont have the pressure of trying to be "the guy" like plex did. Ward wont have to be offended like he was when we drafted plex cause this kid is gonna be groomed to be an eventual number #2 behind Santonio. We could use another WR. LB's are so deep we can get a guy in round 2, who if he would stayed a extra year in school he would of been a top 15 pick in '08. I like the thought of this pick alot... great upside he is a somewhat local Kid (Ohio) whos OSU WR teammate was last years number 1. Kinda all fits when you think about it...

okiesteeler
04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Yes and if he has hands (unlike Holmes) and does not fumble (like Holmes did every time he touched the ball last season) then it would be a great addition to the team and then we could use him on special teams and not lose as many games due to fumbling (once again Holmes) inside the 20 and giving the ball to the other team

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Holmes is gonna be a beast... just wait. I like the posibilty of having the following
WR depth Chart
1. Hines Ward
2. Santonio Holmes
3. Ted Ginn Jr.
4. Willie Reid/Nate Washington

KR
1. Willie Reid
2.Ted Ginn Jr.
PR.
1.Willie Reid/Ted Ginn Jr.

We would have SPEED EVERYWHERE!!!!

House of Steel
04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Sounds great, but I don't see this happening.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Sounds great, but I don't see this happening.

me either but imagine... 3 WR set, Holmes and Ginn Jr outside, Ward motioned to the slot. Miller flexed off tackle with parker as the back. If you leave 6 in the box we run all day. If you try to put 7-8 in the box you're leaving a LB or safety on ward and unless you got ed reed on him its a wrap. Plus you have a LB on Heath, +1 for Heath. i just like the match up we could create spreading the field and working short paterns and draws to match work past blitzes!!! not to mention the damage we could do w/ Reid and Ginn jr returning. SPEED KILLS

Black@Gold Forever32
04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I rather have Bowe or Steve Smith then Ted Ginn. Hell I like Anthony Gonzalez just as much as Ginn. There are other WR sin this draft like Jacoby Jones and Laurent Robinson that I really like. Plus you wouldn't have to spend a first round pick on a WR. I'm not against a WR in the first round just saying there is some depth at WR in this draft as well.

okiesteeler
04-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Talk about changing the dynamic of a team, we would definently become a passing team then, of course we would still run, but not near as much. I like it

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2007, 02:44 PM
this is true. but i really think because we have our 1 and 2 basically cemented for the next 2 seasons, if we do take a WR might as well take a proven kick returner. I like the baylor kid but he isnt offering much else besides return game. Ginn could easily become the #3. I like bowe and jarett but again they will be #3 wrs and offer nothing in the return game. Heaven forbid willie reid gets hurt in preseason and we have Colclough and Holmes fielding punts again... i like ginn cause he can fill 2-3 starting roles RIGHT NOW. I aswell like gonzales more and more...

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Talk about changing the dynamic of a team, we would definently become a passing team then, of course we would still run, but not near as much. I like it

Well not so much, it gives us options... im tired of being in 3rd and 8 and saying "oh sh*t" because lord knows whats gonna happen when we get in 3rd & long w/ the squad we had last year. We can still line up in that proform and pound the ball... but now we have another weapon... i def dont want to see us try that "run and gun" that yeilded us a 6-10 record a few years back!! No matter who we draft first roud our 1st options should and will be run the ball.

K Train
04-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Ginn has hand unlike holmes? your kidding, homes makes tough catches and did not drop passes last year. Ginn doesnt have great hand, mostly because he was recruited to OSU as a standout high school corner. Holmes had early troubles with fumbling, but that was on KRs...he had a solid rookie year at WR.

K Train
04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Anyway, Ginn would be amazing with holmes, thats seriously stretching the field with speed, everytime either one of them touch the ball it could be a score with that speed, plus willies speed, and hines isnt a slow guy either...it would be crazy.

I would want ginn over Jarrett, but not over bowe or meachem

strong D
04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Ginn wouldnt be my first pick but just imagine 3wr sets ginn and holmes on the outside and ward in the slot we can run the ball then when they bring their saftey up you got ginn and holmes 1 on 1 with their corners and ward with a saftey i would take that matchup over any team in the nfl ginn and holmes both run go routes and ward runs a 20 yard post try to stop that

BlackGold4vr
04-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't mind if we shift slightly and do a little more passing. But I do not want the Steelers to become a version of the Colts or the Eagles with a pass first mentality. The style of offense that the Steelers are famous for "5 yards and a pile of dust" running game, is what punishes and wears down the opponents. Ask an offensive lineman which style of blocking is more fun for them, pass blocking or run blocking. Run blocking gives the offensive lineman a chance to punish D-lineman and linebackers. How many of you loved the stat that was repeated often about what the Steelers winning percentage was going into the 4th quarter with a lead under Bill Cowher? I don't want that to change. That is another reason why we do need a power back like a Tony Hunt so that we can play a ball control power running game when we have a lead in the 4th quarter. The running game will always be the best way to control the clock and eat up time of possession. The best defense is a good offense. Other teams offense can't do much if they watch most of the game from the sidelines.

:helmet: :steelersrule: :postal:

okiesteeler
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
That is very true, we need a back like Bettis was, Najah is not going to cut it in that role, in my opinion. We need the big bruising back for 3rd and shorts and goal line stands, and to just punish the defense, and open it up for fast willie to tear down the field.

K Train
04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
the dreams of another bettis needs to stop, bettis was a special player and there wont be another one like him. He just had something about him, he got the job done. big backs dont mean they are like bettis, not alot of big backs can grind out a defense like you would expect them to. Guys like Marion Barber, MJD, Michael Turner should be the kind of player we seek....not bettis because its not happening. i think the best pickup for us this year outside of Lynch in the first round would be Hunt....he runs with pure hatred which is why hes been successful.

BlackGold4vr
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
the dreams of another bettis needs to stop, bettis was a special player and there wont be another one like him. He just had something about him, he got the job done. big backs dont mean they are like bettis, not alot of big backs can grind out a defense like you would expect them to. Guys like Marion Barber, MJD, Michael Turner should be the kind of player we seek....not bettis because its not happening. i think the best pickup for us this year outside of Lynch in the first round would be Hunt....he runs with pure hatred which is why hes been successful.

I am not thinking of another 'Bus' We have had other great backs who can pound the ball. Remember Barry Foster? Was he not a power runner? Tony Hunt fits the mold as well. A big back who enjoys pounding the ball up between the tackles and does not look to bounce everything to the outside. A north/south runner who likes to punish linebackers. Thats what I would like to see us get. And there aren't a lot of those available in this years draft so we may have to settle with what we got. We'll see in 11 days.

K Train
04-17-2007, 04:57 PM
We'll see in 11 days.

oh man, will we ever...i just cant wait...i hoe i dont end that day disappoiinted lol

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-17-2007, 09:01 PM
If we do get a RB a I want a guy like Hunt who pounds the ball, the we can have POWER, then SPEED and Wille gets stronger every year so he'll start to punish some defenders. Tomlin says he wants a run first team and belives in two solid backs to do the job, I would actually be surprised if we didn't pick up another Rb in the draft or a sleeper in free agency. I think Najeh is good but not as good as Hunt. if we get Hunt I will be estatic.:danceshout:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I say Bush! I like tony but i think he will be taken earlier than we all expect say late 2nd... if thats the case i say we take Bush in the early 4th. He is coming along better than expected and at worst we can get him in on 3rd downs/ passing formations cause he is an excelent reciever. When he gets to full strength, we have a bonified stud as a back up to fast willie!!!! if you have ever seen bush run the pill you know what type of offensive fire-power we could be capable of!!!!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
id rather have Hunt, but Bush would also fit nicely. He actually changed from QB to RB hard to believe

steelcitysfinestXL
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, the upside to Hunt is no matter what (barring an injury in the future) he would be able to start working immediately, where as Bush nobodys really sure. I think Hunt will have a steady/solid career as a back-up back in the NFL... i hope im wrong and he ends up being a GREAT back no matter who he plays for cause i am a fan!!! But i think Bush has the chance to be the best in this draft class, yes even better than AP or Lynch, just my .02

House of Steel
04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
both of you have a great debateful points.

okiesteeler
04-19-2007, 06:02 PM
AP plays for the best college in the known universe and will be by far the best running back in the draft and one of the best in the nfl within a few years, depending on who drafts him

House of Steel
04-19-2007, 06:09 PM
God Forbid, it would be Cleveland.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
heres a link to rivals.com's video page for this yeas rb class...
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/viewprorank.asp?ra_key=61

watch Bushs to see:
-How he finishes runs
-How he finds the wholes
-How he see's the cutback lanes
-How he cuts
-AND HOW HE THROWS
lol, pretty cool vid...

steelcitysfinestXL
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
AP plays for the best college in the known universe and will be by far the best running back in the draft and one of the best in the nfl within a few years, depending on who drafts him

AP is SICK, i luv'd watching him in that game when his fater got out of prison and watched him play, sucked he got injured but he ran possesed until then... but OU still sucks, lol sorry im a PSU fan i cant stand for that, LOL! Imagine your team last year if your '05 QB wasnt an idiot!?!?!?
:banging:

K Train
04-19-2007, 11:54 PM
lol...best college in the known universe....lmao

They lost in the greatest game in the history of the universe against that super powerhouse boise state....what a game....man that was a game