PDA

View Full Version : Smith

Steelerlyn
08-27-2006, 07:27 AM
This guy confuses me! Recently, there was a piece in the PPG about how great Smith is. Year after year, I see a tackle that gets toasted by the leagues better speed rushers, but the press seems to love him. He is undeniably an incredibly hard worker, is almost always the last player on the practice field, and has improved his play over the years, but honestly, I don't see him as much more than slightly above average. Yeah, Faneca wiffed big on one as well. I had to yell at them....if they can't open holes for the running game in preseason because they're dogging it, fine.

JUST DON'T GET MY QB KILLED.

Steelx
08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Preseason is always hard to judge the veterans because I just dont think they care. Which is a shame because thats how players get injured

BBC
08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Our pass blocking was never impressive, Ben made it look impressive. He is very talented at evading the pass rush and making a play out of the pocket. Tommy Maddox is not talented at doing this. That would explain why Ben was sacked once every 11.6 attempts, while Tommy was sacked once every 8.8 attempts behind the same offensive line. Now, the Steelers run blocking is what makes them great, but the pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't have any problems with Marvel as our LT. I think he does a pretty good job. He started out as RT for us, then moved to LT. He and Max make for some really good bookends to protect Ben. They both did a really good job last year IMO. I agree the entire OL has been getting toasted by the blitz during the preseason and hasnt been the roadgraders we expect in the running game yet. Once the regular season hits we'll see how things change up and hopefully for the better. :cool: