PDA

View Full Version : Run difficulties plague Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2006, 03:11 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_467948.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 27, 2006

When a quarterback leads the team in rushing in two of three preseason games, as Shane Boyd has for the Steelers, something's amiss.
But, to center Jeff Hartings, the true character of the Steelers' ground game has yet to be revealed.

"We're not where we want to be, that's for sure," Hartings said. "Individually, I'm not where I want to be, that's for sure. (The starters) haven't had a whole lot of playing time, and we're not going to get a lot of playing time this week, either.

"Miami practice week is going to be the most important week in a long time, considering coming off being Super Bowl champs and wanting to get off to a good start."

The Steelers conclude the preseason Thursday night against Carolina.

The regular season opens Sept. 7 against Miami.

The Steelers gained 108 yards and averaged 3.6 yards per carry on 30 rushing attempts in Friday night's 16-7 preseason loss in Philadelphia, but 39 of those yards were accounted for by Boyd.

Coach Bill Cowher said he was "a little concerned" afterward, and that "it's not just the backs" that have been responsible for the running game's sputters.

Those concerns don't extend to starting halfback Willie Parker, who was close to breaking a couple of long runs and to scoring a touchdown on a screen pass against the Eagles before slipping and falling to the turf.

Parker attributed his near misses to "unorthodox balance," to wearing the wrong cleats and to "trying to make too much happen, because I knew I was going to play just a little bit."

Im still not really worried about this, we couldn't run much last preseason either. The OL is used to blocking for Willie but they aren't using to blocking for Duce or any of our other backs yet so that will take time to develop a rapport. Now if we get through Sept. and we still cant run, then I'll get worried.

Steelersfan
08-27-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm a little worried about the o-line but not too much. I think they will gel soon. They blocked for both Bettis and Parker last year so that is not really an excuse to me. They just aren't blocking well right now. That goes for run or pass plays. I'm guessing it may be more of the play calling during the preseason than anything.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm not worried about any of this PERIOD. The Pre-Season just for getting back into game form and to see what teams have. These games mean nothing. The Steelers will be fine and playing in January for their run to Miami.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
We've always had one of the best OL's year and year out. Russ Grimm knows what he's doing. Ive got faith in him to pull the troops together.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep, by September 7th they'll be there good ol dominant selves.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
The running game will come around for both the RB's and the OLine. My worry is the damn pass blocking. I always thought we had one of the best Oline's for the running game but I thought our Oline was an average pass blocking line. This pre-season the short time Ben has been there. He has taken some shots.

PemPgh14
08-27-2006, 04:05 PM
The running game will come around for both the RB's and the OLine. My worry is the damn pass blocking. I always thought we had one of the best Oline's for the running game but I thought our Oline was an average pass blocking line. This pre-season the short time Ben has been there. He has taken some shots.
I agree. The pass blocking needs to practice. To many sacks.:cursin:

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 02:43 AM
My main concern is how is Staley going to respond to the trade rumors? I'm not worried about Willie he has looked good.

I just had a thought... what if the Steelers are sandbagging the preseason to make the target on their backs smaller :dunno:

Steelersfan
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
They could be AZ but that won't keep everyone from wanting to beat us during the season. Every team gets up when the play the champs!

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2006, 12:19 PM
They could be AZ but that won't keep everyone from wanting to beat us during the season. Every team gets up when the play the champs!

I know they probably aren't it was just a thought on my part. I was digging for an excuse besides the fact that our backups haven't been performing all that great and it's been a little disappointing to see them not win a preseason game yet. Even though it's preseason you know come the 4th quarter the competitive juices start flowing and the teams really want to pull out a victory... It would be nice to see them beat the Panthers this week... a good way to start off the season!