PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca

strong D
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
With Alan Faneca being a free agent after the 07 season why not try to trde him now word is that he is unhappy with the steelers unlikely to resign it would also cost a ton of money. I like alan he is one of the best if not the best at his position. All the more reason to trade him i would hate to see him stay then leave after the 07 season with us getting nothing in return. We have to think big picture not short term.

Just want tu see some replys' on what others think about this situation. :stirpot:

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
might be a little difficult to trade faneca. If he insists that his new team signs him to an extension. As part of any deal.

K Train
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
trade his *** along with our 15th, to AZ for there 5th overall pick adn second round pick.....then draft gaines adams and justin blalock

strong D
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
that would be really great if that happened

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 08:02 PM
We've talked about this topic extensively, you'll find members on both sides of the fence on this one. Nobody knows for sure yet if Faneca is unhappy, Alan has not said anything to anybody about being unhappy so we cannot assume that he is. He normally doesn't come to Pittsburgh for off season workouts until he has to, he prefers to get ready on his own.

Alan is a team player, and I want him resigned. He's got at least another 3 good years left if not 4. Sign him to deal for 4 years with the option for 5, give him a fat signing bonus and then structure it so he gets a fair amount but also gets some incentives in there too so we don't get burnt. If we offer him a fair deal I think he'll take it. Remember Alan hasn't demanded any type of dollar figure yet, it's just his agent talking and trying to power play for a big deal. The dude is the best guard in the league and a leader on our team. We already are going to have a new Center, probably a new RG and RT as well so any stability we can get, especially with a guy like Faneca is a plus for us. The dude has earned it.

tony hipchest
04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Alan is a team player, and I want him resigned. He's got at least another 3 good years left if not 4. Sign him to deal for 4 years with the option for 5, give him a fat signing bonus and then structure it so he gets a fair amount but also gets some incentives in there too so we don't get burnt. If we offer him a fair deal I think he'll take it. Remember Alan hasn't demanded any type of dollar figure yet, it's just his agent talking and trying to power play for a big deal. The dude is the best guard in the league and a leader on our team. We already are going to have a new Center, probably a new RG and RT as well so any stability we can get, especially with a guy like Faneca is a plus for us. The dude has earned it.NOOOOOOOOO!

for some reason "salary cap hell" just doesnt sound appealing. ive never seen faneca as a "leader", just a player who goes out and busts balls. if we push his poterntial signing money into the future we HAVE to cut him or hines, in order to sign ben, and that doesnt even address the huge money marvel smith, c. hampton is making, or what we do with simmons.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!

for some reason "salary cap hell" just doesnt sound appealing. ive never seen faneca as a "leader", just a player who goes out and busts balls. if we push his poterntial signing money into the future we HAVE to cut him or hines, in order to sign ben, and that doesnt even address the huge money marvel smith, c. hampton is making, or what we do with simmons.

signing Faneca to a long term deal doesn't mean salary cap hell is on the way. We've not been in salary cap hell in the last 15 years since Cowher has been here. We cut it close every year and use every penny but we get the players we want. Simmons sucks, get rid of him and his salary. Nobody says we'd have to cut Hines or Alan to sign Ben or Troy. Alan is a leader on the team, everybody respects him. He may not be the rah rah leader but he does his talking on the field. You don't know how much money it would take to sign Faneca, only what his agent thinks he should get. Hines agent said he wanted 50 million but he said for a lot less and it all turned out to be a power play move by his agent..I believe this is the case with Alan too, he knows our way of thinking and he like the Steelers. If he wants to resign he'll do it for a lot less than what everybody thinks.

Stlrs4Life
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I wish somebody would find me 1 qoute from Faneca stating he is unhappy with the Steelers. He made a comment that he wanted Grimm to get the HC job, he was kinda hurt that Porter was let go. But never said that he was unhappy with the Steelers. And anyhow, what goofy team would trade, when they know that they can sign him out right the next year?

tony hipchest
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
signing Faneca to a long term deal doesn't mean salary cap hell is on the way. We've not been in salary cap hell in the last 15 years since Cowher has been here. We cut it close every year and use every penny but we get the players we want. Simmons sucks, get rid of him and his salary. Nobody says we'd have to cut Hines or Alan to sign Ben or Troy. Alan is a leader on the team, everybody respects him. He may not be the rah rah leader but he does his talking on the field. You don't know how much money it would take to sign Faneca, only what his agent thinks he should get. Hines agent said he wanted 50 million but he said for a lot less and it all turned out to be a power play move by his agent..I believe this is the case with Alan too, he knows our way of thinking and he like the Steelers. If he wants to resign he'll do it for a lot less than what everybody thinks.

"if he wants to resign..."

thats a big if. the ONLY reason we havent been in salary cap hell during the cowher era is because we let people like faneca walk to greener pastures w/o batting an eye.

odonnell
brown
green
thigpen
kirkland
plaxico
etc.

all these players wouldve liked to remain a steeler. what has faneca shown you that he does not want to cash in on a huge payday? is it just a fans hope, or has he come out and say hes willing to take less than market value to remain a steeler? faneca is just like the hundereds of players before him, who have switched teams for a bigger payday. unless you see something that makes him SO different? please clue me in. maybe im missing something. :dunno:

tony hipchest
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I wish somebody would find me 1 qoute from Faneca stating he is unhappy with the Steelers. He made a comment that he wanted Grimm to get the HC job, he was kinda hurt that Porter was let go. But never said that he was unhappy with the Steelers. And anyhow, what goofy team would trade, when they know that they can sign him out right the next year?arizona could trade for him and sign him for a big contract and not worry about getting in a bidding war with seattle for his services. seattle is still regretting letting hutchinson go and tried to sign san diegos dielman for a huge deal. those are 2 potential teams with much more cap space than the steelers who are gonna drive up the price way beyond the budget the rooneys already have in mind.

if anyone doeant think the rooneys operate according to a budget, just look at what they were willing and unwilling to pay a sb winning head coach. or a veteran linebacker...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
"if he wants to resign..."

thats a big if. the ONLY reason we havent been in salary cap hell during the cowher era is because we let people like faneca walk to greener pastures w/o batting an eye.

odonnell
brown
green
thigpen
kirkland
plaxico
etc.

all these players wouldve liked to remain a steeler. what has faneca shown you that he does not want to cash in on a huge payday? is it just a fans hope, or has he come out and say hes willing to take less than market value to remain a steeler? faneca is just like the hundereds of players before him, who have switched teams for a bigger payday. unless you see something that makes him SO different? please clue me in. maybe im missing something. :dunno:

Sure players have the Steelers for greener pastures, it happens all the time but it happens a lot less frequently now than it used too. If Faneca wants to resign I believe he'll do it for a price that he knows the Rooneys can afford to pay him. If not and he leaves then so be it, but atleast we're making an effort to try and get him under a new deal. It's up to him to decide but Alan has not said one word either way about how much money he wants or what kind of deal he thinks he needs so until we get words directly from Faneca's mouth then we owe him the benefit of the doubt atleast.

jasonbay
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Id rather keep Faneca for at least 1 more season then worry about it after next season

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
How about us getting one more pro-bowl season out of him and then letting him go? He is still performing at a top level right now. Why shouldn't we benefit from that seeing how we are still paying him and he is under contract this year? IMO trading him would be sending the message out to the rest of the players that we are not in it to win this year. Play him and try to grab someone in the draft who will replace him next year and play the rook in some spot duty this year while learning the offense. Who knows another winning season and a run deep into the playoffs may help us keep him. (Unlikely but I like to dream big). :lol:

Dako
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd like to see him stay. But, we don't pay the big bucks and seem to do alright with replacing them. Must be a Pittsburgh thing about not wanting to pay for players. Let's hope Tomlin does as well as Cowher in keeping it going.

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd like to see him stay. But, we don't pay the big bucks and seem to do alright with replacing them. Must be a Pittsburgh thing about not wanting to pay for players. Let's hope Tomlin does as well as Cowher in keeping it going.

I am posting a link for you to go visit our salary cap situation. After you have reviewed the current Steeler salaries then come back and tell us all how cheap the Steelers are. I just get tired of hearing how cheap the Steelers are.......:cursin: We stretch our 109 million as well as anybody to retain MOST of our talented players. Nobody gets to keep em all! Look at how much the Colts have lost this post season. Happens to everybody. Don't look at base salaries, look to the far right column to see what the cap hits are counting the bonuses.

http://steelersalarycap.com/

Dako
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
reference was more in comparison to the Pirate's situation...hence the "Must be a Pittsburgh thing"...Steelers consistently field a quality team....

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
reference was more in comparison to the Pirate's situation...hence the "Must be a Pittsburgh thing"...Steelers consistently field a quality team....

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
If it came to having to choose between Troy or Faneca getting their extension, well duh I'd choose Troy because he's got more of his career still ahead of him, but Im not convinced we cant get Troy under contract as well as Alan this year yet, and sprinkle in Dan Kreider to boot.

Dan would be the easiest to resign IMO so why not get his deal done, he's a great FB and both Willie & Najeh have worked him already.

SteelerNation
04-03-2007, 11:15 PM
You got a really good point but when you do that you have to look at our cap . we are not in the best postion when it comes to cap room but i do see use geting a good Draft player i still think we need a power back to help willie out because he is a good back at the big holes and big yards we need a back who can produce on third and short or even medium but this is just my 2 cents theres lots of options on this.! but to make it short. trade him now!

K Train
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM
our cap is in excellent shape, its run so tight....just because you have a ton of money laying around doesnt mean you have a good cap situation....our guys run the cap perfectly and could sign an entire draft class with 100 bucks

SteelerNation
04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
our cap is in excellent shape, its run so tight....just because you have a ton of money laying around doesnt mean you have a good cap situation....our guys run the cap perfectly and could sign an entire draft class with 100 bucks

Ill keep u on that word if our FO spends only 100 dollars on our draft ill buy u a bar and all the beers for the rest of ur life. because i cant even fill my car with gas for that let along draft a football player for 100 dollars but ill hold you to it mate!:beer4:

jasonbay
04-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Am I the only one that think Aaron Smith is getting overpaid ?

K Train
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Ill keep u on that word if our FO spends only 100 dollars on our draft ill buy u a bar and all the beers for the rest of ur life. because i cant even fill my car with gas for that let along draft a football player for 100 dollars but ill hold you to it mate!:beer4:

not literally 100 bucks, but they run such a tight ship...paying everyone what the deserve and giving contracts extensions and cutting scrubs that it works perfectly....we overpay no one, how its been, how it will always be.

no aaron smith is not overpaid, locking him up was huge....hes the best 34 DE in the nfl and is extremely underrated, out d would struggle without him...then we would have to waste a pick on carriker which would be ****ed up

RckyMtnStlrFan
04-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Alan is a team player, and I want him resigned. He's got at least another 3 good years left if not 4. Sign him to deal for 4 years with the option for 5, give him a fat signing bonus and then structure it so he gets a fair amount but also gets some incentives in there too so we don't get burnt.
:bigthumb:

I haven't actually heard (or read) Alan say he's not happy. I think he wants a fair deal, but I also think he wants to retire as a Steeler. He has a few great years left in him so lets keep him!

He may be undecided about Tomlin, but I think once the season starts he'll realize Tomlin is as hungry as Cowher was before the Superbowl.

tony hipchest
04-04-2007, 01:54 AM
our cap is in excellent shape, its run so tight....just because you have a ton of money laying around doesnt mean you have a good cap situation....our guys run the cap perfectly and could sign an entire draft class with 100 bucksim sorry, but this is complete b.s..... i.e. "wishful thinking fan smack". i can barely even handle it.

if what you say was true, the steelers wouldnt be letting a player like j. porter walk and getting rejected by tully banta cain, while a team like the patrios lets tully banta cain walk and they land a player like adalius thomas.

the steelers cap situation is far from excellent. i suggest doing some research. as of today, they are one of the teams in worst shape as far as getting under the cap, having money for rookies, and having an extra mil for emergencies.

SteelerNation
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
not literally 100 bucks, but they run such a tight ship...paying everyone what the deserve and giving contracts extensions and cutting scrubs that it works perfectly....we overpay no one, how its been, how it will always be.

no aaron smith is not overpaid, locking him up was huge....hes the best 34 DE in the nfl and is extremely underrated, out d would struggle without him...then we would have to waste a pick on carriker which would be ****ed up

I agreee with you though about use always not overpaying players and yes it will always be that way. But still it would be a hell of a sight to see use sign a draft roster with 100 bucks and i know thats never going to happen im just saying would be a nice sight we would suck if we ever did that .. but im still holding you to the 100 bucks and a bar!:bluelol:

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
While we spectulate the future of Faneca. We beat the topic of we have to resign troy and ben to death. Unless I missed something. Doesn't one Marvel Smith's contract expire after the 2008 season. So when it comes down to it. Do you sign Smith or Faneca? I do not see both getting big salaries from the steelers.

K Train
04-04-2007, 06:43 PM
smith isnt considered a top olineman in the NFL he will come much cheaper than faneca....faneca is in the top 3 guards in the league and if he wants to leave he will command hutchinson money....probably from the cards

TEEMONT
04-04-2007, 06:47 PM
If the Steelers "make a choice" they would probaly go with Faneca. But I see them letting them both go, and just restocking the O-line. I hate letting Faneca go else-where, but unless he pulls a Bus, it's the right thing to do.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
While we spectulate the future of Faneca. We beat the topic of we have to resign troy and ben to death. Unless I missed something. Doesn't one Marvel Smith's contract expire after the 2008 season. So when it comes down to it. Do you sign Smith or Faneca? I do not see both getting big salaries from the steelers.

They'll worry about resigning Marvel during the offseason next year so we can get him under contract. Marvel is a damn good LT and he's responsible for Ben's blind side. There's not much worse in the league than breaking in a new LT so I'd rather not have to do it for quite awhile if possible.

K Train
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
whos the guy who went to the chargers in the second round to be rivers LT....he was a stud last year...why dont we get players like that

Stlrs4Life
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Saw this on KFFL:

Steelers | Faneca upset with contract
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:30:59 -0700
Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the reason Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl OL Alan Faneca skipped the first voluntary workouts of the offseason is because he is upset that his contract hasn't been renegotiated.

Also:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=193291 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=193291)

tony hipchest
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
whos the guy who went to the chargers in the second round to be rivers LT....he was a stud last year...why dont we get players like that
i like this line of thinking. marcus mcneil who had a pro bowl calibur season. the saints drafted a guard in the 4th who started all 16 games and d. joseph for the bucs was really good. the pats were plugging in rookies left and right on their line during their last sb run.

either the steelers have fallen so in love with their veteran line theyre afraid to make changes, or the coaching hasnt really done a good job scouting and developing all the young players. kemoeatu had potential 1st round grades if it werent for his anger management issues. i have no idea why he isnt a stud by now.

Koopa
04-05-2007, 08:36 PM
i like this line of thinking. marcus mcneil who had a pro bowl calibur season. the saints drafted a guard in the 4th who started all 16 games and d. joseph for the bucs was really good. the pats were plugging in rookies left and right on their line during their last sb run.

either the steelers have fallen so in love with their veteran line theyre afraid to make changes, or the coaching hasnt really done a good job scouting and developing all the young players. kemoeatu had potential 1st round grades if it werent for his anger management issues. i have no idea why he isnt a stud by now.

because cowher was his coach, and cowher loves old ppl..........

BlitzburghRockCity
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Chris K could still be a monster, we just don't know because the dude hasn't played much. Sure he's got a mean streak but we need more of that on our OL.

K Train
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
how good is that, an olineman with anger management issues....that should be a quality they look for lol. Colon is a badass too

BlitzburghRockCity
04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Chris K, Colon, Simmons, they're all nasty and tough so we should do well if we can get atleast 2 of those 3 on the field in a successful manor. An OL with an attitude is always a great thing.

Koopa
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
mean streak and anger management seems to be different, i don't want a dude with anger issues, cause he could end up costing us 15 yards and then end up getting thrown out and then we are left with nothing

K Train
04-05-2007, 11:08 PM
anger with self control, he just ****s up everyone when he gets pissed, but only from snap to whistle lol...thats what i want

Koopa
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
lol, but he has anger management issues so i doubt he can control it.........I SAID OVER EASY!!

TEEMONT
04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I think I am gonna send Faneca some youth serum, and then we can sign him to a life-time contract.

I don't wanna be one of those 50 year old guys (in 25 years) still wearing the jersey of my favortie player from back in the day.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-06-2007, 06:13 AM
I think I am gonna send Faneca some youth serum, and then we can sign him to a life-time contract.

I don't wanna be one of those 50 year old guys (in 25 years) still wearing the jersey of my favortie player from back in the day.

I think you might a Steeler fan or 2 that would disagree with you as they were their Bradshaw, Harris, or Lambert jersey ;)

Not that Im comparing Faneca to the legends like that but you see what I mean. :redcool:

SteelersfaninPhilly
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Is anyone really surprised?

Saw this on KFFL:

Steelers | Faneca upset with contract
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:30:59 -0700
Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the reason Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl OL Alan Faneca skipped the first voluntary workouts of the offseason is because he is upset that his contract hasn't been renegotiated.

Also:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=193291 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=193291)