PDA

View Full Version : King Size Sleeper

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 01:25 AM
The Steelers have been watching Jason Capizzi all season, and have not been disappointed.

Jason Capizzi might be the biggest sleeper prospect in draft history. He is the biggest player in IUP history, and the 6'9, 324-pounder easily caught the eye of the Steelers this past season as a D-2 All-American.

"From what I can tell, the Steelers are pretty interested," he said. "They had an individual meeting with me to see how much I know about football. I thought it went well. I'm a film rat. I love the game and I think I understand it pretty well. Their assistant offensive line coach was there and I think he was impressed."

Capizzi has been a lifelong Steelers fan. His father has had season tickets since Three Rivers Stadium opened in 1970, and Jason knows nothing would make his father more proud than to watch him play for the Steelers. Then again, Capizzi's played football in Western Pa. his entire life. A change of scenery might do him some good.

This could be that sleeper pick that the Steelers land this year. What I didn't mention was that he played for Pitt at one point and after getting in trouble for an underage drinking incident, he was blackballed by the coach. He transferred to IUP the next year. The only other team who has shown interest in him so far besides the Steelers were the Eagles. He ran a 5.2 40, did 26 reps with his 34 inch arms. His hands measured 11.25 inches, which topped the largest hands at the combine by half an inch. Capizzi was a former basketball player which he credits for his excellent footwork. The dude could be a beast and he grew up a Steeler fan. Gotta love that! Oh yeah, he's a left tackle!

:beer3:

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

Koopa
04-03-2007, 01:31 AM
wtf??? why would you want a 6'9 linemen??? ben is only 6'5, he ain't gonna be able to see of the big dude..................

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 01:45 AM
wtf??? why would you want a 6'9 linemen??? ben is only 6'5, he ain't gonna be able to see of the big dude..................

Most of the time an O-lineman is in a crouched position with his knees bent. With his incredibly large hands and long arms he would have a huge advantage with leverage over his opponents. Why do you think Joe Thomas is considered the best O-lineman in this years draft? Leverage. Joe T. is 6'6.5 and 310 lbs. At that height, 324 pounds isn't even a lot of weight. Haven't seen the guy but I'll bet he is on the lean side. He could probably carry another 25 pounds comfortably. How would you like to face off 60 times in a game with someone who is 6'9 and 350 pounds? :hail:

BB2W
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
He's a BIG boy... I'd be willing to take a flyer on him. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Just tell him to count to 3 after the ball is snapped and then duck ! :lol:

jasonbay
04-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Just tell him to count to 3 after the ball is snapped and then duck ! :lol:

That made me LOL ....I say if he is there in the later rounds take a shot I mean why not most of the time the 2nd day guys dont do squat anyways why not take a chance and he only got in trouble for underage drinking when he was over 18 , offtopic I still say you should be to drink legally at 18 .... you can vote , die for your country but you cant kick back a drink a brewsky or down a shot with them as well ...just isnt right in my eyes.

DIESELMAN
04-03-2007, 04:08 AM
I dug this up on Capizzi.

Scouting Report
Overview: Jason is a Pitt transfer who will be questioned thoroughly about his brief stay with the Panthers and his reasons for transferring to IUP. Jason Capizzi was named to American Football Coaches Association and Daktronics Division II All-America first team. Capizzi was also named to the Associated Press Little All-America second team, which encompasses Divisions II and III and the NAIA, and was a national finalist for the Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year award.

Strengths: Very tall. Packs a powerful punch when he connects. Decent in the run game. Has some tools to work with.

Weaknesses: Almost too tall. Loses his balance at times. Has a hard time getting back with speed rushers, even at the DII level. Misses too much. Work ethic is up and down.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM

plus Ben, as we all know, is a righty, so when he takes his drop this guy is gonna be blocking the blineside of Ben. He will be forcing edge rushers up field like a good tackle should,essentially behind Ben. Look at Drew Brees, its all about passing lanes you dont have to be able to see over your o-linemen. This guys is a Beast my cousin worked out w/ this dude at IUP. My cousin is 6-5 300 and he said he was dwarffed by this dude. Plus in not a huge fan of Marvels pass blocking as of late (or Max for thaty matter) so any competition is good imagine having Max(playing to his potential) and this dude at Tackle. Talk about BOOKENDS!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Weaknesses
: Almost too tall. Loses his balance at times. Has a hard time getting back with speed rushers, even at the DII level. Misses too much. Work ethic is up and down.

That height could be such a dominating part of his game, if he can harness and use it to his advantage he'd be virtually a brick wall that no pass rusher could get by.

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I think the guy has got tremendous upside. You know that in 5 years this guy will have gained a ton of strength and put on some weight. So he could be a moving mountain for edge rushers to get around. And with those big paws of his, if he got his hands on ya, you aint goin nowhere! I also love that he grew up a Steelers fan, so putting on the black and gold uni would mean something to this kid. Won't be surprised at all if this kid is a late day 2 pick. :yesnod:

House of Steel
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
GET THIS ****ING GUY ON OUR TEAM!!! We could have ourselves a Godzilla in Pittsburgh!!!

rainman
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
i like his size and i love to see him in our black and gold and also was thinking how dominant he could be on the d line rather than the o line

Prosdo
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers giving this guy a chance. He looks like he could be a solid in the future.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I read about his kid recently and now you posted this so thanks man. I agree this kid has the size to dominate the NFL. But so does Max Starks and he has been very inconsistent so far. Part of Max's problem he doesn't get leverage and has poor footwork. This kids back round in basketball should mean he has better foot work then Max.

K Train
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
ok he could be jonathan ogden...or he could be max starks.....

K Train
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
this dude get drafted?

DIESELMAN
04-29-2007, 07:38 PM
No he didn't get drafted.

House of Steel
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
We could sign him to the league minimum and see if he would get a roster spot. Worth the gamble don't you think?

K Train
04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
i dunno, i guy this big doesnt usually slip through 255 picks if hes talented

Friday133
04-29-2007, 09:30 PM
The Steelers signed him tonight as a free agent.

Former Pitt QB Palko signs with Saints as free agent

Sunday, April 29, 2007
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Pitt quarterback Tyler Palko did not get chosen in the NFL draft, but he did sign as a free agent with the New Orleans Saints.

Another former Pitt player also signed a free agent contract. Jason Capizzi, who began his career at Pitt and finished up at Division II IUP, signed with the Steelers. Capizzi played at Pine-Richland High School.

Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07119/782096-100.stm)

House of Steel
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
WHOOHOOOO!!!! Well I'll be damned. Let's hope he makes the squad.

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
lol thats crazy

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 10:23 PM
lol thats crazy

I guess thats why Tomlin also didn't address the Oline to much in this draft. This guy has the size to dominate thats for sure. But hey there are reasons he wasn't drafted. But its worth the risk to at least bring this guy in as a undrafted FA.

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
lol i want to know more....this is a tossup thing, but i mean if we signed him just like that...we mistve liked him all along

House of Steel
04-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Like I said, I would darn hope he makes the squad. This would be something to watch him man handle three guys all at once and couldn't move the mountain an inch. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 10:29 PM
lol i want to know more....this is a tossup thing, but i mean if we signed him just like that...we mistve liked him all along

I'm sure the Steelers had an interest all along. I'm just not expecting to much since he did go undrafted. Yes I know players like Rod Smith, Donnie Shell and Willie Parker were not drafted. But at the sametime I'm not going to get to excited about this guy yet. He has the size and potential so hopefully he becomes a player.

K Train
04-29-2007, 10:30 PM
6-9 320 is ridiculous lol

Overview and Analysis

Capizzi transferred from Pittsburgh three years ago and since then has been one of the best linemen in the PSAC. He has been a starter since the spring of 2004. Capizzi earned All-PSAC honors each of the last two seasons and has All-America potential for this season. He is also the tallest player in the history of IUP and because of his size and athletic ability he has the attention of scouts. He has the potential to be a late 7th rounder or a PFA.

2005 Season

Started all 10 games at left tackle and was selected second team All-PSAC West for the second consecutive season.

2004 Season

Started all 10 games at split tackle...named second team All-PSAC West and was a second team All-Northeast Region selection by D2Football.com.

BlackGold4vr
04-30-2007, 01:20 AM
I guess thats why Tomlin also didn't address the Oline to much in this draft. This guy has the size to dominate thats for sure. But hey there are reasons he wasn't drafted. But its worth the risk to at least bring this guy in as a undrafted FA.

He originally was at Pitt on an athletic scholarship and would have played for Pitt were it not for an underage drinking incident that got him kicked off the team. So he was playing Div I until his incident. Then he transferred to IUP which is not exactly the mecca for NFL talent. I'm rooting for the kid to make the squad. And remember that he is still growing into that frame. At 6'9 320 lbs is actually lean for that height. When he fills out in the next few years he could probably carry 350 without a problem.

Another plus for the kid is that he also played basketball and he says it has helped him a lot with his footwork. LT's need quick feet.

K Train
04-30-2007, 01:23 AM
with the right coaching he has the tools to be dominate

SteelerSteve
04-30-2007, 01:36 AM
the one disadvantage to size imo is that some really big guys may not have the best work ethic because they have managed to get by because of their size, just my:2cents:

BR7
04-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Nick name.. PorkChop? :lol:

Hope he pans out though.. he could be a beast.

K Train
04-30-2007, 01:45 AM
hes not fat at all, hes beastly though....i have a pic but i dont feeling likie uploading it so **** you guys lol

okiesteeler
04-30-2007, 04:01 AM
We have King Kong on our team.