PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming pre draft visits.....

DIESELMAN
04-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Ikaika Alama-Francis-DE-Hawaii is scheduled for monday to visit with us. Here is some of what he did at Hawaii's pro day. He ran his 40s in 4.85 and 4.88 seconds. He also had a 35-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-6 broad jump. He also ran 7.31 in the cone drill and 4.62 in the short shuttle, but slipped and didn't want to run again after he stretched his groin. Alama-Francis looked outstanding in positional workout drills. And as part of Francis' workout, he did tight end drills as well and really looked good.

Dwayne Jarrett-WR-USC is scheduled for some time before the draft. Some of his pro day results are, ran his 40s in 4.67 and 4.62 seconds ( For the 40-yard dash, they started from one of the goal lines and ran to the 40. The first couple of yards had a slight incline. There were some gusts of wind, but it is believed they did not affect the times.), the short shuttle in 4.20 and the three-cone drill in 7.28. He also had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump.

K Train
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Jarrett is gonna be a hell of a player, i just wish he wasnt such a pussy and would get physical.....hes soft

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Jarrett is gonna be a hell of a player, i just wish he wasnt such a pussy and would get physical.....hes soft

I like Jarrett but the thought of Mike Williams just enters my mind with Jarrett.:bluelol:

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:40 AM
which is a shame, because he is a hard worker and a good player, USCs past players shouldnt **** his stock up. But he did run a 4.6, but he plays faster than that, and he is weak....he needs to bulk up and get physical, he has the potential to be great

TEEMONT
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I thought Jarret was pretty big.....but I do kinda remember watching him play ladst year, he plays tall, not big.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
which is a shame, because he is a hard worker and a good player, USCs past players shouldnt **** his stock up. But he did run a 4.6, but he plays faster than that, and he is weak....he needs to bulk up and get physical, he has the potential to be great

Oh trust me Train I'm not saying Jarrett will be the next Mike Williams. But the comparisons are there with them. Slow 40 times and knocks of both being soft.

I hope Jarrett becomes a player since I do like this guy and like watching him play.

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:44 AM
hes like 6-4, he plays like hes 6-10.......they guy can be electrifying but he can also me manhandled

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh trust me Train I'm not saying Jarrett will be the next Mike Williams. But the comparisons are there with them. Slow 40 times and knocks of both being soft.

I hope Jarrett becomes a player since I do like this guy and like watching him play.

yeah i hope hes successful because he is a hard worker and is very motivated, im just not sold on him being anything but a great college WR yet

TEEMONT
04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
hes like 6-4, he plays like hes 6-10.......they guy can be electrifying but he can also me manhandled

lol...he plays like he is 6-10 120 lbs.

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
lol...he plays like he is 6-10 120 lbs.

lol exactly, i wouldve said 98lbs but i see where your goin lol

TEEMONT
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
lol exactly, i wouldve said 98lbs but i see where your goin lol

I think we could safely call him a tall Troy Edwards.

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
is he still alive???????

TEEMONT
04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
is he still alive???????

I thought someone said he was plaing AFL ball.

K Train
04-01-2007, 02:45 PM
didnt read anything about that, lol thats a good place for him

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2007, 02:57 PM
We've taken WR's in the draft recently, I don't see us taking another one early on at all. We've got 2 solid starters in Hines and Holmes, and between Reid, Wilson, Washington, Walter Young and anyone else who might join the team I think we need to see how much these guys are going to pan out and pay off the dividends we need them too.

That being said if Jarrett were to come to the black n gold I certainly wouldn't bitch about it :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 02:59 PM
We've taken WR's in the draft recently, I don't see us taking another one early on at all. We've got 2 solid starters in Hines and Holmes, and between Reid, Wilson, Washington, Walter Young and anyone else who might join the team I think we need to see how much these guys are going to pan out and pay off the dividends we need them too.

That being said if Jarrett were to come to the black n gold I certainly wouldn't bitch about it :lol:

I personally would want Bowe or Steve Smith over Jarrett at this point. Plus I like the kid from Tenn. alot to. But if Jarrett was to slip in the 2nd and the Steelers drafted him in the 2nd that would be sweet.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Agree, I certainly wouldnt complain about getting a potential game breaker and impact player like Jarrett..the more weapons Ben has at his disposal the better. Im just not sure we'd go WR on day 1 at all just yet; but I guess that depends on how much Tomlin thinks of our reserves at this point :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Agree, I certainly wouldnt complain about getting a potential game breaker and impact player like Jarrett..the more weapons Ben has at his disposal the better. Im just not sure we'd go WR on day 1 at all just yet; but I guess that depends on how much Tomlin thinks of our reserves at this point :bigthumb:

Oh I agree there are bigger needs then WR. But I like drafting best player available instead of drafting for need. That way you never reach for a player.

K Train
04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
heres my WR rankings at least about the ones i care about

Calvin Johnson-the only person in the draft who deserves first overall
Tedd Ginn jr- Game breaking abilty
Dwayne Bowe-VERY PHYISICAL, tall and strong
Robert Meachem-Will be a great player at the next level
Dwayne Jarrett-Just not sure about him, obvious talent, mabey he was just a great college WR
Sidney Rice-Has the speed, size and potential to be great
Anthony Gonzalas-Very smart and crisp route runner, runs a 4.3 and was overshadowed his whole career at OSU by ginn and the bengal slayer
Steve Smith-Very tough, has bulked up and improved his speed....hes been overshdowed his entire career too, solid play if you ask me.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
heres my WR rankings at least about the ones i care about

Calvin Johnson-the only person in the draft who deserves first overall
Tedd Ginn jr- Game breaking abilty
Dwayne Bowe-VERY PHYISICAL, tall and strong
Robert Meachem-Will be a great player at the next level
Dwayne Jarrett-Just not sure about him, obvious talent, mabey he was just a great college WR
Sidney Rice-Has the speed, size and potential to be great
Anthony Gonzalas-Very smart and crisp route runner, runs a 4.3 and was overshadowed his whole career at OSU by ginn and the bengal slayer
Steve Smith-Very tough, has bulked up and improved his speed....hes been overshdowed his entire career too, solid play if you ask me.

Nice list and I would agree with most of that list.:bigthumb: I think I would have Smith higher and I also like Bowe alot. As for Rice he has the size and the talent I just hope he isn't another Troy Williamson (another South Carolina product).

As for Anthony Gonzalez he is a very under-rated player and wouldn't mind him being a Steeler at all.

K Train
04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
the only reason Smith and gonzalas are so low is because the talent is stacked this year, johnson puts them all to shame but the other spots can be pretty interchangable.

i think bowe is a ****ing beast, he just has "it", hes a huge guy with speed and really destroys corners at the line of scrimmage. hes inexpierienced and raw but the potential is endless

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2007, 03:21 PM
the only reason Smith and gonzalas are so low is because the talent is stacked this year, johnson puts them all to shame but the other spots can be pretty interchangable.

i think bowe is a ****ing beast, he just has "it", hes a huge guy with speed and really destroys corners at the line of scrimmage. hes inexpierienced and raw but the potential is endless

Yea Calvin Johnson is a step above every WR in this draft. I like Bowe alot and then Ginn. Yes Bowe is a ****ing beast plus he likes to block.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I like this visit and at 15 i LOVE this pick... with out trading up i dont see us taking a more TALENTED player in this first than Jarrett. He and Johnson both have the frame to bulk up and not loose speed. You guys were right about him playing alot faster than what his 40's showed. And the guy is an animal when the ball is in the air, and i really think thats what Ben needs someone who he just has to put the ball in his direction and let him fight for it. Alot of recievers have a problem getting off the line in bump-and-run coverage... thats something that Tomlin and Arians can and would fix in his first year. PLUS he would most likely be fighting for a 3-4 spot on the depth chart which means he will be matched up more with safetys and i LOVE that match up. Great pick and i have been saying that since i saw where we ha pick 15. Arians has stressed he'd like to spread the field more this year w/ more 4 wr sets... i not in love with this but if its gonna work Washington and Wilson at 3 and 4 WILL NOT work out.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Bowe is also a beast, and maybe more of a steelers type reciever, but not a #15 pick, i also like Meacham... Gonzales is good but i really dont see him having 1/4 of the production or receptions in the pros as he had in OSU.

K Train
04-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Steve smith has something about him that reminds me of hines ward, i dont think jarrett is worth 15

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Steve smith has something about him that reminds me of hines ward, i dont think jarrett is worth 15

I dont know why you think that really, at the possitions we need help at G, LB, and WR he is pobley gonna be the best player available and thats usually how we pick. Smith is a talent but really not the style of WR Ben needs imo. We need someone big to stretch the field and go up and get the ball and i think thats Jarrett or Bowe.

K Train
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I dont know why you think that really, at the possitions we need help at G, LB, and WR he is pobley gonna be the best player available and thats usually how we pick. Smith is a talent but really not the style of WR Ben needs imo. We need someone big to stretch the field and go up and get the ball and i think thats Jarrett or Bowe.

personally i think jarrett is not the kind of receiver we need, i think bowe or meachem are that type of guy...meachems stock has skyrocketed as of late. I understand why you like jarrett, he was amazing in college, i just dont think hes pro material yet...shouldve stayed at school. Ginn isnt at that big guy your talking about, but he would be badass too, thats some intense speed on the field with holmes....but i would prefer the physicality that bowe brings to the table.

Earlier you mentioned you like the matchup of jarrett on a safety????????? i would NOT send that man over the middle of the field...he would be murdered out there...but i would send bowe or meachem.....they could handle a safety, jarrett definetly couldnt.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I like the size of Jarrett for the sole reason that ben has told reporters many times that he liked having burress because of his ability to be a mach up problem at 6'5 against most defenders. at 6'4 with better hands than burress i think Jarrett would be great for him. I really only watched like 5 USC games this year but i didnt see Jarrett as affraid to go across the middle. His problem is going getting off press coverage by NFL DB's which i think you can credit to the fact the PAC-10 had a pretty weak cornerback presence this season. Plus this is somthing that i think can be taught to a talented athelete like Jarrett fairly easy and probley as early as pre-season. Michigan was one of the best defenses in the nation. Jarrett went for 200 yards in the bowl game gainst them (mainly Hall as i believe you reminded me in another post)

K Train
04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
going over the middle against UCLA or CAL isnt exacly going over the middle against ed reed or sean taylor. I understand why ben liked burress, but burress would get physical and block down field(despite how we might feel about him now...he did), jarrett is kinda weak. i could be completely wrong about him, he might be a superstar in the NFL, im just not so sure we are complete enough to take that chance at this point.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Oh i was and still am a big plex fan, but he was just like what people are saying Jarretts going to be. He didnt want to block, he didnt go hi across the middle an he didnt have BLAZING speed like a Calvin Johnson. He larned to block in his last 2 seasons playing w/ward and el. Which i think Jarrett can do also. Blocking is a want to thing, you dont have to be born a great blocking WR. Blocking i contageous onc young guys see ward doing it they start to want to do it them selves. El did it, Plex, Holmes started to do it last year and i think who ever we bringin will learn to do it.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
That's what's so great about having Hines on the team. Sure he may not be the fastest guy in the league but he's for damn sure the toughest WR in the league hands down. I'll take a 4.6 40 WR with the toughness and hands of Hines over a speed guy with "potential" any day. We got burnt with Plex so the team has been careful ever since about drafting WR's.

K Train
04-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Hines is clutch and his game speed is WAY faster than his timed speed, remember when he schooled d hall 85 yards with one shoe? d hall is supposed to be the fastest man in the NFL, your fast when your being chased lol. But, even though he knows how to get open and is bens go to guy.....i like the idea of holmes opening things up with that 4.3 speed, and i really like the idea of miller opening it up with that 6-5 height and beastlyness. lol

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Im not to sure we got burnt by plex so much as we didnt pass enough for him to be overly affective. he only had 2 seasons with us with over 60 receptions. in 2 seasons with NY he has had over 60 receptions. In all those seasons he has avg'd close to 1200 yards. We just dont pass enough for a guy like burress to be effective. He isnt a game changer until he gets 8-10+ plus receptions. I think Jarret, Meachem and Johnson are the tyes of guys who can change the outcome of a game with less than 10 catches a game.
Here are the rankings from last year. Look at the amount of catches vs. yards to figure out YPC.
4. Robert Meachem, Tennessee
13 games 71rec. 1298 yrds 11 tds 99.85 YPG

14. Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
14 games 76rec. 1202 yrds 15 tds 85.86 YPG

15. Dwayne Jarrett, Southern California
12 games 70rec. 1015 yrds 12tds 84.58 YPG

K Train
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
we got burnt by plex because hes an *******.....he wouldve been so good for bens development in his second year, we managed without him but it couldve been great, heath plus burress in the redzone would be amazing, not to mentio hines is always open in the back of the endzone. we didnt pass that often bens rookie year and for good reason....plax couldnt handle not being the star of the show i guess

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah i hope Arians can find a way to get miller as involved as possible. He is a probowl quality guy. he'll have a hard time making it there w/ Gonzales and Gates but he can still be a ProBowl caliber player. Hines is just a gamer, i dont think any WR's in the NFL can smell the endzone like him. I F***in love that guy!!!

K Train
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah i hope Arians can find a way to get miller as involved as possible. He is a probowl quality guy. he'll have a hard time making it there w/ Gonzales and Gates but he can still be a ProBowl caliber player. Hines is just a gamer, i dont think any WR's in the NFL can smell the endzone like him. I F***in love that guy!!!

miller can get those kinds of numbers if we would just ****ing use him they way he should be used. Ive said before...i want shockey numbers damnit

steelcitysfinestXL
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
we got burnt by plex because hes an *******.....he wouldve been so good for bens development in his second year, we managed without him but it couldve been great, heath plus burress in the redzone would be amazing, not to mentio hines is always open in the back of the endzone. we didnt pass that often bens rookie year and for good reason....plax couldnt handle not being the star of the show i guess

EXACTLY, He wants to be "THE GUY" which shows his lack of intelligence when he goes to a team w/ shockey and Barber, MORON... i still like the guy but he just never really fit in here. Local fans HATED him, he hated it here, i think one more season w/ ben (not to mention a SBXL ring) might have helped him see the light!

jasonbay
04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Speaking of Hines and his greatness him willing to block and being good sets him apart from the typical great WR as well.

BB2W
04-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Antonio Pittman was in town for a visit today...

link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/news/s_500782.html

K Train
04-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Pittmans alright.....3rd/4th rounder

TEEMONT
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
miller can get those kinds of numbers if we would just ****ing use him they way he should be used. Ive said before...i want shockey numbers damnit

Mille rleads the damn league in rec. every year on Madden....he is the champ of the 5 yard pop pass.

K Train
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
miller runs a vicious post, send willie out into the flats as a second option, throw it over millers shoulder and you have something special

BB2W
04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Runningback Dwayne Wright from Fresno St. will visit the Southside tomarrow...

link: http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=18&a=216

K Train
04-15-2007, 01:46 PM
1. LB Jon Beason U of Miami (April 19-20)
2. DE Ikaika Alama-Francis Hawaii (April 2)
3. DE/OLB Lamar Woodley Michigan (April 10)
4. WR Dwayne Jarrett Southern Cal (April 14)
5. CB Chris Houston Arkansas
6. RB Antonio Pittman Ohio State (April 2)
7. DE Ryan McBean Oklahoma State (April 3)
8. RB Dwayne Wright Fresno State (April 4)
9. WR Sidney Rice South Carolina
10. DE Justin Hickman UCLA
11. FS Roderick Rogers Wisconsin (April 11)
12. OT Levi Brown Penn State (April 3)
13. CB Leon Hall Michigan
14. CB Marcus Hamilton Virginia (Week of April 9)
15. WR Jacoby Jones Lane College
16. DE Adam Carriker Nebraska
17. WR Steve Smith USC (April 11)
18. WR Laurent Robinson Illinois State
19. LB Lawrence Timmons Florida State (April 11)
20. NT DeMarcus Tyler NC State (April 11)
21. LB Jamaal Anderson Arkansas (April 13)
22. NT/DE Alan Branch Michigan (April 13)
23. DE Justin Harrell Tennessee (April 13)
24. LB Tim Shaw Penn State (April 13)
25. LB Brian Robison
26. LB Anthony Waters (April 13)
27. LB Antwan Barnes FIU (April 12)
28. OT Ryan Harris Notre Dame (April 12) (Waste of a Trip... )

Locals:

1) Darrelle Revis
2) Tyler Palko