PDA

View Full Version : WHIS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR MAX?

Friday133
03-31-2007, 10:41 AM
WHIS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR MAX?

There's talk in league circles of a possible trade between the Cardinals and the Steelers for tackle Max Starks. The rumor is that, if the deal would go down, the Steelers and the Cardinals would flip-flip first round picks.

The Cardinals hold the No. 5 overall pick, and the Steelers draft at No. 15.

But, as far as we can tell, the talk hasn't originated in Pittsburgh. Instead, the thinking is that the Cardinals are floating this one in an effort to bring a former Pittsburgh pupil of offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

It makes sense. The offensive line is the only weakness on the Cardinals' offense. And it is a glaring one.

Starks has played right tackle and left tackle for the Steelers. He currently is a restricted free agent, with a first-round tender offer. The Cardinals or any other team could sign him to an offer sheet, and if the Steelers choose not to match it the Steelers would be entitled to a first-round draft pick as compensation.

Granted its from Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) but to move up the 5th spot in the draft would be interesting. Thoughts?

House of Steel
03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
This might be a very tempting ordeal if you ask me. You realize the chances of nailing one of the Top 5 players in the draft. If Arizona signs Starks since he is a restricted free agent, and yes we would grab a first round compensation pick. This could very well benefit us greatly. I wouldn't mind this one bit.

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I can't believe that we would get their draft spot + their 1st round pick next year. That is way too much for an overweight tackle who has struggled with his weight. If we swapped spots with Arizona I believe that would be the only compensation we would get. We would not ALSO get their first pick next year. If they were stupid enough to offer that kinda trade we would be stupid not to take it. But I don't believe the 2 for 1 is the deal. Moving up 10 spots is the package. I would still do it for the chance to grab Gaines Adams! Take a seat Clark Haggans, Gaines Adams is here! Colon could fill in nicely for Starks as he has already done last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Whiz knows Max as well as anyone, there's no way this team gives up the 5th spot in the draft for an unpoven tackle, IMO. If you have the 5th spot and you want to trade down you better be getting more than a spot 10 picks later and an unproven player.

K Train
03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
The thing with max is, hes a giant man whos as strong as an ox....all the potential in the world....i'd give him up in a heartbeat for that pick, i'd throw in Clark haggans as well. I dont know if all you guys seen Adams at the combine but the guy was a beast and absoluty flawless, ran fast and was stronger than any other LB/DE. Colon could handle the job imo.

Mabye grimm or whiz would do it because they are having a love affair with that huge man, mabey running that franchise in the ground would be worth reuntiing them.....who knows lol

BBC
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Whiz knows Max as well as anyone, there's no way this team gives up the 5th spot in the draft for an unpoven tackle, IMO. If you have the 5th spot and you want to trade down you better be getting more than a spot 10 picks later and an unproven player.

I wouldn't call Max unproven.

I think he's proven to everyone that he isn't that good. He's a pretty good fun blocker, but he's hit or miss when he has to pass block for a quarterback (and more often than not, it's a miss).

If we could get this trade done, I'd be all for it. Even drafting someone like Levi Brown would be an upgrade from Starks. Hopefully Whiz has some sort of attachment to Max...

Koopa
03-31-2007, 04:26 PM
seeing it's from profootballtalk, just throws any dicussion right out the window, cause that site sucks ***

DIESELMAN
03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd be all for swappin 1st rounders in that deal. Starks has got the physical tools to be dominant, to bad he will never get his **** together.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-31-2007, 05:16 PM
seeing it's from profootballtalk, just throws any dicussion right out the window, cause that site sucks ***

They have been on the money more often recently koopa.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Yeah I don't usually put much stock in anything PFT puts out either. I think Starks has potential but the guy just doesnt use that huge body and super human strength to his full potential. There's no way anybody in the league should be able to get by him if he actually played the way that he's built.

Blitzburgh55
03-31-2007, 05:44 PM
I love this trade a dont like Max at all he gets too many false starts but this will never happen

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2007, 05:56 PM
False starts aren't his issue, his problem is that he get pushed around and bull rushed far too much for a guy his size and strength. The dude just doesn't seem to realize how big and strong he really is and how dominant he can be in this league.

K Train
03-31-2007, 06:02 PM
hes a mammoth, whos as strong as an ox.....but hes a big ****ing teddy bear

jasonbay
03-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmm they'd be willing drop down 10 spots for just Max Starks ? Isnt there like a points system teams have to follow for the first round or something, I swear I seen that somewhere.

K Train
03-31-2007, 07:11 PM
they dont have to follow it, there is a value put on everyone and every pick. its a recommended system to make things more equal and to make predictions based on it. but they way the system works out it would be like the 1st overall pick being equal to the entire 6th and 7th rounds.....personally i would think/hope you could find more talent with 64+players than just the top prospect lol

DIESELMAN
03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Hmm they'd be willing drop down 10 spots for just Max Starks ? Isnt there like a points system teams have to follow for the first round or something, I swear I seen that somewhere.

Back when Jimmy Johnson was HC at Dallas, he used to use a system called the Draft Value Chart, its used by many NFL teams in determining trades. The chart is considered a guideline, not an absolute rule.

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

BBC
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM

They don't have to follow it, but for the trade to be considered "equal" to the draft chart, the Cardinals would have to consider Starks equal to a 28th or 29th overall pick.

K Train
03-31-2007, 07:58 PM
i say starks+haggans and swapping 1st and second rounders sounds pretty good....they can have cocface to lol

BlitzburghNation
03-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I can't believe that we would get their draft spot + their 1st round pick next year. That is way too much for an overweight tackle who has struggled with his weight. If we swapped spots with Arizona I believe that would be the only compensation we would get. We would not ALSO get their first pick next year. If they were stupid enough to offer that kinda trade we would be stupid not to take it. But I don't believe the 2 for 1 is the deal. Moving up 10 spots is the package.

Agreed :popcorn: But it sure would be nice to have that 5th pick :crossfingers: Nothing against starks,he's a helluva guy,but i'd much rather have #5 :tt02: No way whiz & AZ would be that stupid :scratch:

K Train
03-31-2007, 08:13 PM
im tellin you...grimm was in the middle of a love tri...:scratch:....pentagon with out oline :lol:

TEEMONT
04-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Especially when they could just draft someone like Leonard Davis again........oh .....wiat.