PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the odd man out?

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Let's say we draft our next Jack Lambert. Who by the way was the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1974. If we draft a stud linebacker, which of the current linebackers should sit so that the new guy can dominate?

Koopa
03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Let's say we draft our next Jack Lambert. Who by the way was the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1974. If we draft a stud linebacker, which of the current linebackers should sit so that the new guy can dominate?

isn't it obvious??? it's haggans of course............

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Damn, I didn't see this coming.....:hilarious:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 10:46 PM
There was talk on NFL Network today of the Steelers drafting Patrick Willis and shifting Farrior to the OLB. Kind of interesting to me.

House of Steel
03-30-2007, 10:46 PM
As Koopa said, This is a dumb question to ask. :lol: No seriously, it is Haggans.

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Damn, I didn't see this coming.....:hilarious:

:stirpot:

Koopa
03-30-2007, 10:47 PM
There was talk on NFL Network today of the Steelers drafting Patrick Willis and shifting Farrior to the OLB. Kind of interesting to me.

i wouldn't mind willis at all, i love what i've read on him......... i wonder if farrior would do good on the outside :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 10:50 PM
i wouldn't mind willis at all, i love what i've read on him......... i wonder if farrior would do good on the outside :dunno:

Dude I like Willis alot to. So there will be no complaints from me as well. As for Farrior he started as OLB with the Jets. Of course that was in a 4-3 though but remember the play-off game against the Colts you saw Farrior line up outside some in that game. One of his sacks in that game came from the outside.

K Train
03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
i think farrior would be a beast at the outside....but hes a beast on the inside....so why bother?

Koopa
03-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Dude I like Willis alot to. So there will be no complaints from me as well. As for Farrior he started as OLB with the Jets. Of course that was in a 4-3 though but remember the play-off game against the Colts you saw Farrior line up outside some in that game. One of his sacks in that game came from the outside.

i didn't even notice, i have the game on dvd, so i'll watch it tomorrow to see lol

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
i think farrior would be a beast at the outside....but hes a beast on the inside....so why bother?

The only reason I mentioned it was discussed on NFL network today on their NFL Access show. I don't look for it to happen but you never know.

Koopa
03-30-2007, 10:53 PM

because willis would be a beast for years to come from the start while farrior only has a couple of years left in him

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
As Koopa said, This is a dumb question to ask. :lol: No seriously, it is Haggans.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't alone in my thoughts on this topic. I'm like you though, I believe this question is a no brainer. We'll have to see if 'you know who' doesn't receive all the votes. I don't want to sway anybodies opinions. :hilarious:

:rofl:

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
:stirpot:

:bigthumb: :banana: :banana: :banana:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Haggans make a good chunk of change and he's had 2 subpar years. He's on the hotseat to perform. Harrison is the upstart guy with all the potential. Foote and Farrior are solid.

Haggans is the odd man out if we hit the jackpot at drafting an OLB.

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I seriously doubt Willis will make it to us, if he does will we scrap plans for a DE/OLB? Man oh man this draft has endless possibilities for us.

Koopa
03-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Haggans make a good chunk of change and he's had 2 subpar years. He's on the hotseat to perform. Harrison is the upstart guy with all the potential. Foote and Farrior are solid.

Haggans is the odd man out if we hit the jackpot at drafting an OLB.

i'm not sold haggans will be back this season, there's still a second round of cuts that happen in june, i think he's being held for insurance, but if we can draft a stud in the first round, and he shows he can play in mini camps, i think haggans will be cut loose.........

K Train
03-30-2007, 11:03 PM
i think haggans wins this poll with an overwhelming majority lol

Koopa
I seriously doubt Willis will make it to us, if he does will we scrap plans for a DE/OLB? Man oh man this draft has endless possibilities for us.

i read he could also be a good olb, so i think if willis is there, we should take him, best available and feels a need somewhat

K Train
thats a big cap hit just to cut him, mabey if he wants to stay with us, he should take a paycut, if not...its his loss

BBG7
going with haggans!

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 11:06 PM
i read he could also be a good olb, so i think if willis is there, we should take him, best available and feels a need somewhat
Thats cool....how is he in coverage?

Lacks top lateral range, struggles in coverage and does not possess a quick break to the throw.

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 11:14 PM

There was a great article on SteelCityInsider.com about Jon Beason from the University of Miami. According to Jim Wexell (who has been handicapping the chances of who we draft in the first round) the Steelers new #1 prospect is Beason. According to the article the 40 times Beason ran at the combine were with an injury. He will run again at his pro-day and is predicting 4.5's. He can play inside or out which would could all but ensure Clark a nice seat on the bench. Also New England insiders are said to be very high on Beason. They also tend to have a great eye for talent up there and it would be great to steal one from Belichick. :bigthumb:

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 12:10 AM
It appears that fans agree, Haggans could help the team out the most by watching games from the sidelines. That's where the low impact players belong. Just doin the job of making sure the gatorade stays cold for the 'big hitters'

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

K Train
03-31-2007, 12:31 AM
not alot of haggans love lol

Koopa
03-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Thats cool....how is he in coverage?

i read this

Patrick Willis is the complete package at linebacker. He has the toughness, instincts, and run stopping ability to play inside, but the athleticism, speed, and cover ability to play outside. He is quick to react to the play, and flies to the ball carrier with authority. Willis also shows the ability to play in space and read the quarterback, and the cover ability to stick with backs and tight ends. He is a mature football player, and a team leader.

TEEMONT
03-31-2007, 01:32 AM

Farrior was an OLB with the Jets....I can't remember if he was Pro-Bowl type.

I dunno though, if we draft an MLB, I kinda have a feeling Farrior will be done.

Koopa
03-31-2007, 01:34 AM
Farrior was an OLB with the Jets....I can't remember if he was Pro-Bowl type.

I dunno though, if we draft an MLB, I kinda have a feeling Farrior will be done.

but that was in a 4-3 system........

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Prospects by: OVERALL RANK | Position | College | Home State | Name
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pos Overall
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
WR 1 Calvin Johnson JR 6-5/239/4.37 Georgia Tech Tyrone, GA
QB 2 JaMarcus Russell JR 6-5.5/265/4.90 LSU Mobile, AL
OT 3 Joe Thomas SR 6-6.5/310/5.01 Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
RB 4 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/217/4.44 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
DE 5 Gaines Adams SR 6-5/258/4.67 Clemson Fork Union, VA
CB 6 Leon Hall SR 5-11.5/202/4.38 Michigan Vista, CA
S 7 LaRon Landry SR 6-0.5/213/4.36 LSU Boutte, LA
DE 8 Jamaal Anderson JR 6-5.5/288/4.80 Arkansas Little Rock, AR
QB 9 Brady Quinn SR 6-4/232/4.75 Notre Dame Dublin, OH
OT 10 Levi Brown SR 6-5.5/323/5.39 Penn State Norfolk, VA
DE 11 Adam Carriker SR 6-6/296/4.91 Nebraska Kennewick, WA
TE 12 Greg Olsen JR 6-6/254/4.45 Miami (FL) Wayne, NJ
DT 13 Amobi Okoye SR 6-2/302/5.02 Louisville Huntsville, AL
WR 14 Ted Ginn JR 5-11.5/178/4.35 Ohio State Cleveland, OH
CB 15 Darrelle Revis JR 5-11.5/204/4.50 Pittsburgh Aliquippa, PA
MLB 16 Patrick Willis SR 6-1/242/4.53 Mississippi Bruceton, TN

We pick 15th so according to these ranking we wouldn't be reaching for Willis.

K Train
03-31-2007, 01:48 AM
leon hall at 6???????? GARBAGE

TEEMONT
03-31-2007, 02:00 AM
but that was in a 4-3 system........

Which is why I feel Farrior will be done with us if we go MLB, although, it shows how much versatility he has by making the switch from OLB in a 4-3 to MLB in a 3-4.

Who knows......

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Which is why I feel Farrior will be done with us if we go MLB, although, it shows how much versatility he has by making the switch from OLB in a 4-3 to MLB in a 3-4.

Farrior led our team in tackles last year by a lot (37) more tackles than the second guy which was Larry Foote. Most people wouldn't choose the guy who led your team in tackles to sit the next year. :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Farrior still has 1 more good contract left in him before he starts to get to that point in time of his career when Steeler LB's usually become expendable. I'd imagine he'll stay regardless and let a potential draft pick at MLB learn and then take over in a couple years.

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I no longer think Anthony Spencer is sitting atop the Steelers list. I believe that Patrick Willis and Jon Beason are now the top 2 guys the black and gold are looking at. Either one could contribute right away IMHO. All the questions will be answered soon enough.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

TEEMONT
03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Farrior led our team in tackles last year by a lot (37) more tackles than the second guy which was Larry Foote. Most people wouldn't choose the guy who led your team in tackles to sit the next year. :scratch:

I dont think any of them are sitting in 07, I'm talkin about 08. Foote is still relatively young, especially compared to Farrior. I think he has 1 or two good years left in him, before Foote passes him up.

Not too many people would choose to cut our best LB, but you saw how that worked out.

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Not too many people would choose to cut our best LB, but you saw how that worked out.

Good point! :lol:

K Train
03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
at this point i just want a badass linebacker, i would like his name to be Gaines Adams but thats only a dream

steelcitysfinestXL
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Farrior is the only backer we had last year or this year that can play any of the 4 linebacker spots. He is n ANIMAL. But i still think i would like to see Woodly or Poz in there before Willis for a real linebacker pick (as apposed to converting a D-end) Although Willis is a stand-out player... I wouldnt be upset!!!

Koopa
03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Farrior is the only backer we had last year or this year that can play any of the 4 linebacker spots. He is n ANIMAL. But i still think i would like to see Woodly or Poz in there before Willis for a real linebacker pick (as apposed to converting a D-end) Although Willis is a stand-out player... I wouldnt be upset!!!

willis is an insidelinebacker so there's no converting there

woodly is a DE that would be converted

and poz isn't a pass rusher we need so the hell with him

steelcitysfinestXL
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
willis is an insidelinebacker so there's no converting there

woodly is a DE that would be converted

and poz isn't a pass rusher we need so the hell with him

Yeah i Know all that, But we were saying guys to put at Middle Linebacker for us and i like poz and willis for that. And i just like the talent of LaMar Woodly to play in a zone plitzing system more then say most other d-ends. Beason wouldnt be bad either , speed kills thats for sure!!!

BlackGold4vr
03-31-2007, 04:30 PM
And apparently everybody here knows it because he is the ONLY one not to receive any votes to ride the pine if we get a great rookie LB. As of right now I do think that Harrison stands to be the most disruptive player of our pass rushers. Hopefully we can add someone else who can be a disruptive force on the other side. :yesnod:

K Train
03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Harrison is a beast and he has waited long enough

Stlrs4Life
04-05-2007, 10:41 PM

We will never be able to draft another Jack Lambert. None of these players play with the heart like he did.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
And apparently everybody here knows it because he is the ONLY one not to receive any votes to ride the pine if we get a great rookie LB. As of right now I do think that Harrison stands to be the most disruptive player of our pass rushers. Hopefully we can add someone else who can be a disruptive force on the other side. :yesnod:

:plus1: I think Harrison is going take advantage of this opportunity and unleash the pass rushing rage on the opposing offense as well; I just hope he can stay healthy :crossfingers: , that's my main concern with him.

Koopa
04-06-2007, 12:05 AM
:plus1: I think Harrison is going take advantage of this opportunity and unleash the pass rushing rage on the opposing offense as well; I just hope he can stay healthy :crossfingers: , that's my main concern with him.

he needs to come out in a plastic bubble, and bubble wrapped so he doesn't get hurt before he gets to play on an actual drive

jasonbay
04-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I said Farrior simply because of his age.

BlackGold4vr
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
We will never be able to draft another Jack Lambert. None of these players play with the heart like he did.

You cannot make a statement like that because it is not accurate! While I am certainly not qualified to point out which guy is the next 10 time pro bowler and lock for the pro football HOF, surely there WILL be more players like that. There will be HOF players from every era and all of them will have played with a lot of heart to get there. While Lambert was the prototype middle linebacker of the 70's, Mike Singletary and Lawrence Taylor (OLB) played with equal zest after Lambert was gone. I grew up watching Jack Lambert play and he is one of my favorites too, but I know that there WILL be more great players who come through the NFL that will impact their era of football just like Jack did his! :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-08-2007, 12:09 PM
he needs to come out in a plastic bubble, and bubble wrapped so he doesn't get hurt before he gets to play on an actual drive

:lol: I know right ! :crossfingers:

If the dude stays healthy he can be the next in line of great Steeler linebackers.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2007, 12:43 PM
:lol: I know right ! :crossfingers:

If the dude stays healthy he can be the next in line of great Steeler linebackers.

I think James Harrison is one of the keys for the 2007 season. Lets face it if he struggles the Steelers will be hurting this year on defense. But if he has a very good/great season then the Steelers defense will be fine. Really Harrison needs to have 9-12 sacks this year. Hopefully Haggans can have a better season.