PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new name....Le'ron McClain, fullback

BlackGold4vr
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
This is another Jim Wexell article from SteelCityInsider.com and I will give you the readers digest condensed version. Le'ron McClain is a fullback from Alabama, who is considered as one in a vanishing breed, a punishing fullback who throws crushing lead blocks.

At 6'0 and 256 pounds, Kirby Wilson (our new RB coach) feels like McClain is one of the best blocking fullbacks that he has seen in a long time. This should get the juices flowing for some of you old-timers who love the physical 3 yards and a cloud of dust, smash mouthed football. Scouts have McClain tabbed as the best lead blocker in college football. The Steelers are VERY interested. Although he only carried the ball 11 times last season he is projecting out as a 3rd or 4th rounder. His nickname at Alabama was "Train".

With 30 year old Dan Kreider entering the last year of his contract, don't be surprised if McClain somehow manages to slip into the 4th round, to hear his name called for the Steelers. McClain says he watches the Steelers and loves our style of play. Obviously, the feeling's mutual.

:helmet:

TEEMONT
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Dude's a BEAST!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
This is another Jim Wexell article from SteelCityInsider.com and I will give you the readers digest condensed version. Le'ron McClain is a fullback from Alabama, who is considered as one in a vanishing breed, a punishing fullback who throws crushing lead blocks.

At 6'0 and 256 pounds, Kirby Wilson (our new RB coach) feels like McClain is one of the best blocking fullbacks that he has seen in a long time. This should get the juices flowing for some of you old-timers who love the physical 3 yards and a cloud of dust, smash mouthed football. Scouts have McClain tabbed as the best lead blocker in college football. The Steelers are VERY interested. Although he only carried the ball 11 times last season he is projecting out as a 3rd or 4th rounder. His nickname at Alabama was "Train".

With 30 year old Dan Kreider entering the last year of his contract, don't be surprised if McClain somehow manages to slip into the 4th round, to hear his name called for the Steelers. McClain says he watches the Steelers and loves our style of play. Obviously, the feeling's mutual.

:helmet:

Ok drafting a FB in the 4th round that just blocks would be a bad idea in my opinion. Especially considering that Dan Krieder wasn't even drafted. Plus the Steelers seem to always find that FB that just can block. Lets see Tim Lester and Jon Witman come to mind.

Another thing to think about with Bruce Ariens stating he likes using 4 WR's sets that could case the Steelers to start phasing out the FB position which is becoming more the norm across the NFL.

BlackGold4vr
03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Ok drafting a FB in the 4th round that just blocks would be a bad idea in my opinion. Especially considering that Dan Krieder wasn't even drafted. Plus the Steelers seem to always find that FB that just can block. Lets see Tim Lester and Jon Witman come to mind.

Another thing to think about with Bruce Ariens stating he likes using 4 WR's sets that could case the Steelers to start phasing out the FB position which is becoming more the norm across the NFL.

Simply sharing an article from a reliable source of Steeler news. The Steelers like this guy and apparently have spoken to him. They will probably speak to 30 or 40 players before its all over and we will pick 9 (potentially). Don't get too excited over this. Until we see what this new offensive scheme looks like in action....I am not banking on anything. Best blocking fullback in college football, IMO being the best at anything should be enough to get the guy some consideration. :clap:

House of Steel
03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
:iagree: I say we should seriously take a darn close look at this kid. He is a damn wrecking ball.

BB2W
03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
A new name to who?... this guy is a beast. I like him, but he might be gone by the time the Steelers would consider taking a fullback.

BlackGold4vr
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
A new name to who?... this guy is a beast. I like him, but he might be gone by the time the Steelers would consider taking a fullback.

He was a new name to me. And I hadn't heard any discussion at all about us looking at fullbacks. Dan Kreider is getting a little old. :scratch:

House of Steel
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Why couldn't he make a switch to Running Back and compliment Parker? Here we are talking a major possiblity of a damn good one-two tantrum. I sense he could open up a lot of holes for Parker using a two back set or interchanging them on offensive plays to confuse the defense like hell. This could compliment the passing game as well. I love how things work with this offense. We got weapons everywhere.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Simply sharing an article from a reliable source of Steeler news. The Steelers like this guy and apparently have spoken to him. They will probably speak to 30 or 40 players before its all over and we will pick 9 (potentially). Don't get too excited over this. Until we see what this new offensive scheme looks like in action....I am not banking on anything. Best blocking fullback in college football, IMO being the best at anything should be enough to get the guy some consideration. :clap:

Who is excited? I just offered my opinion and a response to this thread. I guess I did something wrong by doing that?:bluelol:

Like I said before Dan Kreider wasn't even drafted. You can find a FB that just blocks without wasting a draft pick on one. Now if the Steelers now with Tomlin planned on using the FB in the run game/pass game more then by all means draft one. But don't draft one if the plans are for him to be just a blocker.