PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will not be openiong up on a Mon night

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5952

Monday night lights (again) By GEOFF HOBSON
March 26, 2007

Updated: 3:45 p.m.

PHOENIX, Ariz. — The Bengals won’t waste any time getting national exposure at Paul Brown Stadium. A league source confirmed here Monday at the NFL meetings that Cincinnati opens the season in its first-ever national-television opener in a Monday night game on ESPN against defending AFC North champion Baltimore.
"That is something that pleases us very much," said Bengals President Mike Brown after emerging from a morning meeting at The Arizona Biltmore where the owners were told the schedule of the opening weekend. The entire schedule is to be released April 5.
The Sept. 10 opener is also the Bengals’ first home Monday night game nearly three years to the day since a 16-13 win over Miami Sept. 19, 2004. And it is the first night opener since the club’s first game ever in San Diego, a 29-13 loss.
It’s also a rematch of the last prime-time game at PBS, when the Bengals blanked the Ravens until the final 61 seconds of a 13-7 victory last season played on a Thursday night NFL Network game.
Also Monday, the Bengals and Jaguars were the two teams to vote against a revenue-sharing plan that was adopted for the next four years. Bengals president Mike Brown said the club is one of 15 teams that is going to get money from the NFL, but he doesn’t know when or how much.
He knows it will be 44 percent less than what it could have received because one of the qualifiers docks the Bengals because they are a team that has been in a new stadium for less than 10 years.
But Brown is against the plan because he doesn’t feel it goes far enough to combat the inequities the big-market teams have in the current system.
“Nobody is happy, but the main thing is we’re all united," said Texans owner Bob McNair. “We’ve all compromised and none of us are happy. So maybe it’s a good deal.
“Does it offset everything? No. Is it more than some clubs can afford to pay? Yes. Some clubs are paying more than they really can afford. Other clubs that are recipients are saying I’m not getting as much as I really need, and there in lies the compromise.”
Brown says the current system has put the league economically out of whack and that the revenue sharing plan isn’t enough to ward off problems down the road.
“We subsidize teams for different reasons and that has unbalanced the economics of the league dramatically,” Brown said. “I do think that’s what needs to be addressed on a more thorough basis than what we’ve done.” The Bengals said their $2 million take in revenue sharing last season was a wash because of other contributions. The entire pool is set for $100 million this year and $110 million each for the next three years.

DIESELMAN
03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
The Bengals won’t waste any time getting national exposure at Paul Brown Stadium. A league source confirmed here Monday at the NFL meetings that Cincinnati opens the season in its first-ever national-television opener in a Monday night game on ESPN against defending AFC North champion Baltimore.

This is just me but since the Bungholes have brought negative exposure to the league why reward them with giving them primetime on MNF? If the team can't control their players then the league needs to control the team.

House of Steel
03-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I think this is sending the wrong message. :wtf:

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
This is just me but since the Bungholes have brought negative exposure to the league why reward them with giving them primetime on MNF? If the team can't control their players then the league needs to control the team.

Rumor has it that America's Most Wanted has stepped up and offered quite a compensation package to the league. To sponsor the monday night opener.

Ambridge
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
........and the Steelers get to open the Pre-season with the HOF Game!?!?!?
:scratch: :willybs:

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Gotta play those nationally televised games before the police line-ups start. I don't think that some of their players can help themselves. I would not look for the Bengirl legal problems to end until they are able to weed out all of the bad seeds that are rotting the organization from the inside out.

:bengalssuck:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I hear it's following a special airing of America's Most Wanted ! :lol:

House of Steel
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
actually I heard before that game, it is a special edition of Cops in Cincinnati. :greengrin: :tt02:

K Train
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
we might open the sunday night game in AZ...kinda like the manning bowl did last year

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
we might open the sunday night game in AZ...kinda like the manning bowl did last year

The sunday night opener is slated to be the gaymen and cowgirls.

floodcitygirl
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
This is just me but since the Bungholes have brought negative exposure to the league why reward them with giving them primetime on MNF? If the team can't control their players then the league needs to control the team.I completely agree. How can the NFL think that highlighting that team does anything for its image????

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2007, 10:48 PM
This year I really don't care if we have any primetime games, we need to make sure our guys stay focused and hungry, and not get caught up in themselves again . We had a downright bad year in 2006 so we don't deserve to be in the spotlight until we prove we can bounce back, IMO.

BBG7
03-27-2007, 03:07 AM
who cares....this way the rest of the nation can watch them fall on their ***. If they lose their first game...they will fall back into the gutter like they have always been. I will agree though, the NFL should have really thought twice about rewarding their off field problems with an opening day prime time appearance. As for the Steelers....let's not worry about Prime Time.....let's just win!!!!!

Ambridge
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
This year I really don't care if we have any primetime games, we need to make sure our guys stay focused and hungry, and not get caught up in themselves again . We had a downright bad year in 2006 so we don't deserve to be in the spotlight until we prove we can bounce back, IMO.

:yesnod: That's it right there.

8-8 teams don't deserve any kind of spotlight.

floodcitygirl
03-27-2007, 09:49 AM
This year I really don't care if we have any primetime games, we need to make sure our guys stay focused and hungry, and not get caught up in themselves again . We had a downright bad year in 2006 so we don't deserve to be in the spotlight until we prove we can bounce back, IMO.I get what you're saying here TG. I'm not saying that the Steelers deserved it or even that it would be good for them. But certainly, not the Bengals. They had the same record as us AND all of the arrests. Wrong choice, IMO.

steelcurtaingal
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
they must figure that the bengals need more "positive" publicity. too bad these two teams wont just annihilate eachother.

AZ_Steeler
03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Plus now we know the Steelers won't be playing the Cardinals Sunday night opening weekend as well because the Cards are playing the 49ers.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
The steelers will be on the road. Pirates are at PNC. Opening weekend of the NFL season.

Cleveland, or the meadowlands, st louis. Denver I doubt. Cause the rockies play at home that afternoon. Forget NE. I think that will be a primetime match up.