PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to deliver blitz, but no glitz vs. eagles..

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2006, 07:23 AM
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/football/nfl/philadelphia_eagles/15354660.htm

The flavor of football will still be vanilla, but the brand being served to the Eagles tonight at Lincoln Financial Field is the best the NFL has to offer.

In other words, this preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers is going to be a pretty good gauge as to where the Eagles are with two weeks left before the season opener in Houston.

"Pass-blocking and run-blocking doesn't change," Eagles safety Brian Dawkins said. "You can do fancy routes and fancy reverses, but blocking and tackling, that doesn't change. You can definitely tell a physical team in the preseason."

The Steelers, of course, are known as one of the most physical teams in the NFL on both sides of the ball.

"It's a blitz defense," coach Andy Reid said. "They are going to bring people and use zone coverage with man coverage behind it. The bottom line is they are bringing extra people and you have to be sharp up front. Their offense right now, they're keeping it vanilla, basically like we are, but at the same time it's good players against good players and they'll get good work in."

The Steelers have lost their first two preseason games, but they held Arizona to 57 yards rushing on 32 attempts in their exhibition opener and averaged 5 yards per carry in their second game against Minnesota.

This is a chance for the Eagles' offensive line, which wants Reid to run the football more this season, to prove it can clear holes against one of the best run defenses in the league last season.

"Coach Reid is going to place that opportunity on the offensive line's back, and if we don't get it done, he won't run the ball, and that will put pressure on us because we'll have to pass-protect on just about every down," guard Shawn Andrews said. "What we have to do as an offensive line is be concerned with our assignments, and they do several different blitzes that we feel comfortable taking on. We have to be in the right spot at the right time, and I think it's going to work out run and pass."

On defense, the Eagles want to show they can stop the Steelers' physical running game while putting pressure on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

You know you're the defending world champion when everybody gets up to play you...even in preseason.

AZ_Steeler
08-25-2006, 11:59 AM
It's going to be a good test! I am looking forward to seeing if BC's heart to heart had any impact on the team this week, plus how Duce responds to all of the talks surrounding him being traded or cut. Some very interesting things to keep tabs of tonight.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah there are alot of subplots to this game.. Duce, How Ben and the OL respond to the eagles blitz, how are rookie WR's will play against a good team, if we can stop the run tonight, get off the field on 3rd down....

AZ_Steeler
08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about the 3rd downs! That's another big one, this has seemed to plague the Steelers now going back to last season. They can't be giving up 3rd and longs, those are demoralizing to a defense!

Steelersfan
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Some great points you guys brought up. Now let's just hope some of them are answered tonight. I'll be at work so post up what's going on in the game for me. I enjoy reading these game threads when I get home.

AZ_Steeler
08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not going to be able to watch it either but it's scheduled to be recorded on the Tivo, so I'll get to disect it this weekend!

Steelerlyn
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
They are disecting the game on ESPN Radio right now. Not real thrilled about dem Steelers. They said that 43 is worried because Hope is gone because Hope made 43 good. I thought he was good before he got here.

AZ_Steeler
08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
They are disecting the game on ESPN Radio right now. Not real thrilled about dem Steelers. They said that 43 is worried because Hope is gone because Hope made 43 good. I thought he was good before he got here.

Troy and Hope had a relationship that extended off the field. They always knew where the other was going to be on the field which really gave Troy the opportunity to roam like he did. That special bond isn't there yet with Clark, Carter or Smith. That's why I say give the job to Smith now and let the bond start to grow, rather than try and get it with the other two only to have Smith take over in a couple of years.

Smith has has been very suprising this preseason!