PDA

View Full Version : Why we need to draft Tony Hunt

BlitzburghRockCity
03-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Because he loves going to Chuck E Cheese ! :lol:

No really, I just saw a profile of him on NFLN, the dude is a big kid at heart who loves animals but even more loves going to places like Chuck E Cheese and hanging out playing games :lol:

hey, we had to inject alittle humor into this draft talk since we've analyzed everybody 9 ways to sunday and we still have a month to go before it gets here. :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
03-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I do want us to draft either Tony Hunt or Chris Henry. IMO These two guys are the 2 best power runners in the draft. I tend to lean more towards Henry because I think he has the speed to also be a game breaker. But I would be happy if we drafted either one.

:tt02:

BB2W
03-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Funny stuff. :greengrin:

I would love to see Tony in Pittsburgh... He put up some very poor numbers at Penn State's pro day, but I know he can run the ball.

It may have pushed him down on team's boards...

Hunt (6-1 5/8, 234) ran his 40s in 4.68 and 4.71. He also had a 31 -inch vertical jump, 9-foot-2 long jump, 4.72 short shuttle and a 7.39 three-cone drill.

jasonbay
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Because he would complement Willie Parker well, and he played at Penn St. which is a plus ...lol

House of Steel
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't mind either one of those guys. They both sound like they could boost our running game in a huge way. :bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
03-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Hunt would be good IF we can get him, gotta funny feelin we'll get someone off of our radar.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Stay away from penn state running backs.

jasonbay
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Stay away from penn state running backs.

O really Larry Johnson doing great, Curt Warner did pretty well, Just because rb's like Blair Thomas , Ki-Jana Carter , Curtis Enis flopped doesnt mean Tony Hunt will besides we wouldnt be using anything more than a 3rd on him anyways so why not

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
How long did it take Larry Johnson to develop? PSU players are overrated.

jasonbay
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Overrated can used if you want to generalize but that doesnt seal the fate for every Penn St. RB coming into the NFL , You say how many yrs it took him to develop lets not forget Priest Holmes was a top 5 Rb at the time and they werent going to just put Larry Johnson in there , but here is his stats

Rookie Season - 85 - 1td
2nd Season - 581 - 9 td
3rd Season - 1750 - 20 td
4th season - 1789 - 17 td

K Train
03-24-2007, 04:06 PM
i dont think LJ is that great

jasonbay
03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
i dont think LJ is that great

Why is this ? Top 5 in yds and tds last 2 seasons what more can he do ?

BB2W
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Franco... :helmet:

K Train
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
im sorry, i think he is a good runningback running behind a HOF oline, not so much a great runningback...jmo

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
im sorry, i think he is a good runningback running behind a HOF oline, not so much a great runningback...jmo

Ok Shields and Waters are two of the best OG's in the NFL. But I wouldn't call Kyle Turley and Jordan Black Hall of Fame quality.:bluelol: Now when Willie Roaf was playing with the Chiefs then your point is well taken. Just saying I don't think the Chiefs Oline is as good as it once was.

Koopa
03-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Ok Shields and Waters are two of the best OG's in the NFL. But I wouldn't call Kyle Turley and Jordan Black Hall of Fame quality.:bluelol: Now when Willie Roaf was playing with the Chiefs then your point is well taken. Just saying I don't think the Chiefs Oline is as good as it once was.

i think he's talking about franco harris

edit: nvm, i thought he was responding to bb2w

K Train
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
ok but when roaf was there is when he had his great year, last year was good, but when roaf there he was on pace for like 2500, he more in 8 games in 05 than he did in 16 in 06

Koopa
03-24-2007, 06:33 PM
ok but when roaf was there is when he had his great year, last year was good, but when roaf there he was on pace for like 2500, he more in 8 games in 05 than he did in 16 in 06

and this year he had a million carries just to do what he had, if willie parker would've had his carries he would've had more yards based on the yards per carry lol

K Train
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
and this year he had a million carries just to do what he had, if willie parker would've had his carries he would've had more yards based on the yards per carry lol

exactly, they way overworked his ***, partly because of trent green goin down, but even though the numbers are similar from 05 and 06, 05s production is far superior than that of last year...jmo...he was lucky to have that oline.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM

Dude LJ still had 1,789 rushing yards to go with 17 TD's this year without Roaf.lol Thats still a great year. I agree he has been lucky to run behind some very good Olineman in his young career. But that doesn't mean you should take anything away from what he has done. I'm not even a big LJ fan but he is clearly one of the best RB's in the NFL.

Plus maybe defenses were keying on him alittle more this year after he ripped it up in 8 games during the 05 season. One thing though he sucked in the play-offs against the Colts. Still trying to figure that one out.:bluelol:

K Train
03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Dude LJ still had 1,789 rushing yards to go with 17 TD's this year without Roaf.lol Thats still a great year. I agree he has been lucky to run behind some very good Olineman in his young career. But that doesn't mean you should take anything away from what he has done. I'm not even a big LJ fan but he is clearly one of the best RB's in the NFL.

Plus maybe defenses were keying on him alittle more this year after he ripped it up in 8 games during the 05 season. One thing though he sucked in the play-offs against the Colts. Still trying to figure that one out.:bluelol:

i know its a great year, but hes not a great RB, hes a good RB, he in the same situation as shaun alexander. BUT 1700+yards and 17 TDs in 16 games is weak compared to 1700+yards and 20 TDs w/roaf in half as many games. He was brutally forced to run the ball an set records with carries, and based on how "great" he is he should have had way more production than he did last year

BlitzburghRockCity
03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I was really hoping LJ was going to leave the Chiefs and maybe we'd make a run for him, but that was a pipe dream :lol:

LJ is a great back, the dude has been something special since he came into the league. He's got all the tools to continue to be productive. Although great is a relative term based on your own deductive reasoning as to what defines a great back.

As long as we get Willie some rest and somebody who can spell him and be productive at the same time we'll make sure that we have a fresh Willie Parker come January, not a worn out Willie.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:44 PM
i know its a great year, but hes not a great RB, hes a good RB, he in the same situation as shaun alexander. BUT 1700+yards and 17 TDs in 16 games is weak compared to 1700+yards and 20 TDs w/roaf in half as many games. He was brutally forced to run the ball an set records with carries, and based on how "great" he is he should have had way more production than he did last year

Ok I'm so glad you're the final judgement on greatness:bluelol: News flash you have to be good period just to make the NFL. I guess we should take Emmitt Smith's records and accomplishments away since he played behind an awesome OLine as well?:bluelol:

Captcoolhand
03-24-2007, 06:46 PM
We could of had LJ but moved up with KC to get Troy and KC took LJ so who would you rather have?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
We could of had LJ but moved up with KC to get Troy and KC took LJ so who wouyld you rather have?

Well Troy Polamalu for sure. I'm not a big fan of Larry Johnson but I do think he is one of the best RB's in the NFL. I can't name five RB's I rather have then LJ. After LaDanian Tomlinson who is clearly the best in the NFL then LJ enters the conversation.

DIESELMAN
03-24-2007, 06:50 PM
One thing though he sucked in the play-offs against the Colts. Still trying to figure that one out.:bluelol:
Thats cuz Sanders was back, hes the spark for the Colts.

Koopa
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
i agree with train

i think lj is a very good running back

but right now there's only one great running back and his name is LaDainian Tomlinson

BB2W
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
LJ is a great runner... he may have a good line, but he breaks a lot of tackles. Couple what he's done in the NFL with the fact he was the ninth player in NCAA history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season makes him a great runner.

He didn't have a great o-line at PSU... he just ran over everybody.

He's a beast... quit hatin. <>

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Thats cuz Sanders was back, hes the spark for the Colts.

Well if Bob Sanders means that much to the Colts team then he is the MVP of the NFL.:bluelol:Now I'm just kidding about the MVP talk.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:56 PM
i agree with train

but right now there's only one great running back and his name is LaDainian Tomlinson

No you don't agree with Ktrain. Train said good were you said very good.:bluelol: There is a difference.lol

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 06:57 PM
LJ is a great runner... he may have a good line, but he breaks a lot of tackles. Couple what he's done in the NFL with the fact he was the ninth player in NCAA history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season makes him a great runner.

He didn't have a great o-line at PSU... he just ran over everybody.

He's a beast... quit hatin. <>

Great post. Now I better check with Ktrain since he has the final say on greatness?:bluelol:

Koopa
No you don't agree with Ktrain. Train said good were you said very good.:bluelol: There is a difference.lol

lol, ok, i agree that he isn't great.........the only thing he's considered great at is for fantasy football.......but he's just a very good back.......

K Train
Ok I'm so glad you're the final judgement on greatness:bluelol: News flash you have to be good period just to make the NFL. I guess we should take Emmitt Smith's records and accomplishments away since he played behind an awesome OLine as well?:bluelol:

PLEASE RETHINK THAT STATEMENT!!!

and emmits records were obviously because he played for 16 ****ing years

DIESELMAN
03-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Well if Bob Sanders means that much to the Colts team then he is the MVP of the NFL.:bluelol:Now I'm just kidding about the MVP talk.

Without Sanders last season, everyone ran over the colts. As soon as Sanders played in the playoffs, all bets were off. Maybe not the MVP of the NFL but he shoulda been the MVP for the team. Without him playing the Colts would not have gotten to the SB (**** Manning).

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 07:00 PM
PLEASE RETHINK THAT STATEMENT!!!

and emmits records were obviously because he played for 16 ****ing years

Rethink what? Players have to talent to make the NFL. You don't make the NFL without having any kind of talent or being a good football player. I take it you never played the game at any level.

I played in high school and thats where my career ended since I wasn't good enough to play top level college ball let alone the NFL.:bluelol:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Without Sanders last season, everyone ran over the colts. As soon as Sanders played in the playoffs, all bets were off. Maybe not the MVP of the NFL but he shoulda been the MVP for the team. Without him playing the Colts would not have gotten to the SB (**** Manning).

Diesel did I ever say Bob Sanders wasn't any good? I agree he played an important rule and I agree **** Manning.lol I don't even know why I post here anymore. Can't even have a decent conversation anymore.

Steelersfan
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
32 and K....that is enough. Back on topic please.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I should have known my thread about Hunt going to Chuck E Cheese would get hijacked ;)

jasonbay
03-25-2007, 07:05 AM
This thread is crazy with hijacks , here's to hoping the Steelers get Tony Hunt .

MillerTime83
03-27-2007, 03:59 AM
Overrated can used if you want to generalize but that doesnt seal the fate for every Penn St. RB coming into the NFL , You say how many yrs it took him to develop lets not forget Priest Holmes was a top 5 Rb at the time and they werent going to just put Larry Johnson in there , but here is his stats

Rookie Season - 85 - 1td
2nd Season - 581 - 9 td
3rd Season - 1750 - 20 td
4th season - 1789 - 17 td

TRUE!! think about it... Start a rookie over a proven vet? I think not and now that Johnson has got his shot he has proven PSU backs are not busts.

I like Hunt I think he will fit nice.

BlackGold4vr
03-28-2007, 11:18 PM
There is a really nice article in SteelCityInsider.com about Tony Hunt. Basically the article talks about the Steelers needing a power back and references a conversation that coach Tomlin had where he talked about the NFL's top teams all utilizing 2 back systems with contrasting styles. The article talks about the fact that Hunt did not run at the combine and then really didn't run all that well at his pro-day. Believe he had a 4.68 and a 4.71 in his 40's at his pro-day. The article talked about that as a positive for the Steelers because if he had blown people away at his pro-day he would have ensured himself a first round spot. But because of his poor pro-day he may very well be available at the 46th pick. Article says Hunt is by far the best power runner available in this draft with plenty of game films to confirm that fact. Don't be shocked if you hear those words, "And with the 46th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers choose Anthony Hunt, running back, Penn State". I would be okay with that pick. Yes, we need O-line help but I think Hunt offers too much to pass on in the second round. He definitely wouldn't be there in the 3rd go around. He could bring back some power to our running game. :clap:

Koopa
03-28-2007, 11:37 PM
There is a really nice article in SteelCityInsider.com about Tony Hunt. Basically the article talks about the Steelers needing a power back and references a conversation that coach Tomlin had where he talked about the NFL's top teams all utilizing 2 back systems with contrasting styles. The article talks about the fact that Hunt did not run at the combine and then really didn't run all that well at his pro-day. Believe he had a 4.68 and a 4.71 in his 40's at his pro-day. The article talked about that as a positive for the Steelers because if he had blown people away at his pro-day he would have ensured himself a first round spot. But because of his poor pro-day he may very well be available at the 46th pick. Article says Hunt is by far the best power runner available in this draft with plenty of game films to confirm that fact. Don't be shocked if you hear those words, "And with the 46th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers choose Anthony Hunt, running back, Penn State". I would be okay with that pick. Yes, we need O-line help but I think Hunt offers too much to pass on in the second round. He definitely wouldn't be there in the 3rd go around. He could bring back some power to our running game. :clap:

i'd do a back flip lol..........we don't need oline help real real bad, it would be nice to get a good oline men there, but it's not a huge need, we got enough youth there for at least next year....

SteelerFan87
03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Funny stuff. :greengrin:

I would love to see Tony in Pittsburgh... He put up some very poor numbers at Penn State's pro day, but I know he can run the ball.

It may have pushed him down on team's boards...

Hunt (6-1 5/8, 234) ran his 40s in 4.68 and 4.71. He also had a 31 -inch vertical jump, 9-foot-2 long jump, 4.72 short shuttle and a 7.39 three-cone drill.

I don't like the overemphasis on pro days and the combine. Who cares about how much a guy can lift, or how high he can jump, or how much he weighs if he proves on the field that he can play or that he can't. The fact that a bad combine can do so much damage to a guy's draft status is ridiculous, if he's proven on the field that he can play.

BlackGold4vr
03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I don't like the overemphasis on pro days and the combine. Who cares about how much a guy can lift, or how high he can jump, or how much he weighs if he proves on the field that he can play or that he can't. The fact that a bad combine can do so much damage to a guy's draft status is ridiculous, if he's proven on the field that he can play.

:plus1:

I agree with you. However teams and coaches do like to obsess over those 40 times. Nobody is saying that Tony can't play. What they are saying is that he may have slid down peoples draft boards just a little because of his poor pro-day. At least that's what some of us are hoping for so that he may wind up on our team and not somebody elses. :crossfingers:

steelcurtaingal
03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
amusing, this thread was intended as a joke, but it gets all serious:lol: . tony hunt could be a good running back, but i dont think we will get him. we'll get someone under the radar like *coughs* willie parker.

BlackGold4vr
03-29-2007, 10:24 AM
tony hunt could be a good running back, but i dont think we will get him. we'll get someone under the radar like *coughs* willie parker.

The Steelers have drafted a running back out of Penn State that had some success in this league......Franco Harris. Just because we went under the radar with the Parker aquisition doesn't mean the Steelers won't snag a high profile RB. Hunt is a top 5 back on everybodies boards. What we don't know is how many backs will be chosen in the first round this year. Seems like WR might be the position that garners the most picks in the first round this year. As far as the Steelers go with a new coaching staff, this years draft is anybodies guess. :helmet:

steelcurtaingal
03-30-2007, 08:25 AM
The Steelers have drafted a running back out of Penn State that had some success in this league......Franco Harris. Just because we went under the radar with the Parker aquisition doesn't mean the Steelers won't snag a high profile RB. Hunt is a top 5 back on everybodies boards. What we don't know is how many backs will be chosen in the first round this year. Seems like WR might be the position that garners the most picks in the first round this year. As far as the Steelers go with a new coaching staff, this years draft is anybodies guess. :helmet:

Your right, but since we are looking for specifically a shortyardage back, i dont see us using a first round pick on a running back, or for that matter, even a second round pick.

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Your right, but since we are looking for specifically a shortyardage back, i dont see us using a first round pick on a running back, or for that matter, even a second round pick.

I don't believe the Steelers are looking for 'just' a short yardage back. I believe they are looking for a second 'feature' back who runs with power. Tomlin has emphasized this from early on, all the best teams in the league are featuring '2' backs, usually one with speed and the other with power. Well, as we all know, we have the 'speed' part covered. Don't be shocked if a second round pick goes to a power running back. It will all depend on who is still there when we reach that 46th pick. If Hunt is already gone then I believe that pick might be an O-lineman. If Hunt is still there I really believe that he will be wearing a black and gold ballcap on April 28th. We will see! :helmet:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 09:53 AM
How long did it take Larry Johnson to develop? PSU players are overrated.

LOL, i dont think PSU players are over-rated as much as i think they werent the best players coming out of highschool. Its more or less the program that PSU uses that keeps they're teams consistantly in the bowl mix (and a weak early season schedule EVREY YEAR) The big name talents dont go to Penn State as much as the "U", OSU, USC, UF and so on. Look at a guy like Michael Robinson, you cant tell me he wasnt a top ten Offensive player in the country in his final year at state. But he def wasnt recruited that highly out of highschool. The big ten in general isnt a great offensive conference ( minus o-linemen) but i def wouldnt say PSU players are overated. Some guys are just great in the NCAA, and never amount to having great pro careers. Look at DUKE b-ball.
Tony Hunt no earlier than 5th or 6th round for us though... i like him but we dont need him, i'd rather see them fill other needs and take a guy like Michael Bush late day 1 or early day 2. He'll pan out just like McGahee, and how do you pass up a guy who lead the nation in touchdowns in the year that Reggie Bush, Lindell White and Adrien Petterson had break out years!!

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Tony Hunt no earlier than 5th or 6th round for us though... i like him but we dont need him, i'd rather see them fill other needs and take a guy like Michael Bush late day 1 or early day 2. He'll pan out just like McGahee, and how do you pass up a guy who lead the nation in touchdowns in the year that Reggie Bush, Lindell White and Adrien Petterson had break out years!!

If that was the direction they chose to go in, I don't think too many people would have a beef with having Michael Bush on our roster. Although the pay-off for that selection might not come until next year. The only question mark with that draft strategy is that it leaves the Steelers vulnerable this year should something happen to Willie. Davenport is not going to carry the Steeler run game on his shoulders by himself. :dunno:

steelcurtaingal
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't believe the Steelers are looking for 'just' a short yardage back. I believe they are looking for a second 'feature' back who runs with power. Tomlin has emphasized this from early on, all the best teams in the league are featuring '2' backs, usually one with speed and the other with power. Well, as we all know, we have the 'speed' part covered. Don't be shocked if a second round pick goes to a power running back. It will all depend on who is still there when we reach that 46th pick. If Hunt is already gone then I believe that pick might be an O-lineman. If Hunt is still there I really believe that he will be wearing a black and gold ballcap on April 28th. We will see! :helmet:

parker is gonna be our almost-every-down back, i believe, so that leaves room for someone like the bus, for red-zone, just blow over the defenders kind of back. someone who can do the pushing, and come out on top. we may not use them alot, but they will be putting up prbably more touch downs then parker. i still belive that it will not be hunt, but time will tell.

House of Steel
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
parker is gonna be our almost-every-down back, i believe, so that leaves room for someone like the bus, for red-zone, just blow over the defenders kind of back. someone who can do the pushing, and come out on top. we may not use them alot, but they will be putting up prbably more touch downs then parker. i still belive that it will not be hunt, but time will tell.

I tend to agree and disagree at the same time. There are two options to this, one, like you said, using Parker as our every down back, and then having Dookie punch that ball into the End Zone like the Bus has done for us in the seasons past, or, like so many others hoping that we either draft Leonard, Bush, or an another decent pick, groom them to have a two back formation, or rotation to confuse the defense. There are all kinds of weapons and plans we can do with the amount of talent we have. There is no reason whatsoever in my mind why the Steelers can't be a Championship contending team year and after year with the amount of veteran players and the talents. This organization and the staff is Championship notch at its finest.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
i agree with train

Agree to disagree, LJ is a great back. LT is in the prime of his career and LJ still has not hit his prime he is only a second year starter.

LT-3rd year 1645 yards 5.3ypc 13 tds
-4th year 1335 yards 3.9ypc 17 tds
LJ-3rd year 1750 yards 5.2ypc 20 tds
-4th year 1789yards 4.3ypc 17 tds
in they're repsective 3rd and 4th years LJ has More yards, tds and yards per carry. And LT is working w/ a better fullback (Neal is one of the best blocking backs to play the game) and a much better def. and as steeler fans we all know a solid defense will always compliment a good running game. LT is great FOOTBALL PLAYER, receptions, passing he can do a lil bit of everything. LJ is a GREAT RUNNER. There inst anyone who can run over a linebacker and blow past safetys and corners on the same 50+ yard run accept LJ, plain and simple.

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Agree to disagree, LJ is a great back. LT is in the prime of his career and LJ still has not hit his prime he is only a second year starter.

LT-3rd year 1645 yards 5.3ypc 13 tds
-4th year 1335 yards 3.9ypc 17 tds
LJ-3rd year 1750 yards 5.2ypc 20 tds
-4th year 1789yards 4.3ypc 17 tds
in they're repsective 3rd and 4th years LJ has More yards, tds and yards per carry. And LT is working w/ a better fullback (Neal is one of the best blocking backs to play the game) and a much better def. and as steeler fans we all know a solid defense will always compliment a good running game. LT is great FOOTBALL PLAYER, receptions, passing he can do a lil bit of everything. LJ is a GREAT RUNNER. There inst anyone who can run over a linebacker and blow past safetys and corners on the same 50+ yard run accept LJ, plain and simple.

It is refreshing when someone actually does some research and backs up their opinion with some pretty solid evidense. Well done.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks when your born and raised in Pittsburgh and are a huge PSU fan you tend to follow your guys. I love Tony, he is a good fit for us, but i think we have too many needs and he will be gone b4 we can address running backs. I honestl;y think this Micael Bush thing will be a blessing in disguise for some team(hopefully us) if we could take him in the later rounds, it might not be a bad pick. Plus Veron Haynes is still rehabbing at Steelers facilities in Oakland, PA, and when he gets medical clearance he will be resigned. This is something the steelers do often ex: mike logan. Along w/ haynes, parker and Davenport. The steelers can afford to take bush and slowly work him in from injury and do it not wasting a 2nd round pick like people thought Bush would be b4 the combine.

House of Steel
03-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks on a lesson there, Steelcity. By the way, :welcome: You got some great points. I was impressed with your points with LJ and LT comparsions. Very well done.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks!!! Yeah, i try to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to talking football. I really would like to see us take a WR in the first round (yes another first round WR) or a REAL outside Linebacker (no college DE's to convert to OLB's) I think those are the 2 positions that are maybe the deepest but you will see a HUGE drop in quality after the early second round! I think a guy like Hunt will be gone in the 2nd or early 3rd and we shouldnt take any RB's that early! We have quite a few young DB's that we need to work out b4 taking a first round CB this year. There arent any 1st round worthy Centers or Gaurds (maybe Kahlil, Center from USC)so where else can the steelers go with the first pick? I say Robert Meacham of Tennessee or Jarrett USC in my opinion. Deal Wilson early and let Reid, Washington and The rookie fight for a spot on the depth chart between the 3,4,and 5 WR. Or a like a solid line backer ex: Beason-from the U, Woodly- Michigan, or Puz-PSU.

K Train
03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
We need a converted DE, Moss or spencer would be perfect for us, not poz or beason. While i would love to have meachem its not a screaming need for us like OLB. I wouldnt want jarrett, hes a pussy, great college WR but hes soft. I would want Bowe or Meachem over jarrett, hell i would take ginn over jarrett. Jarrett reminds me way to much of burress. But theres no way we wont get a guy we want with the 15th pick. We will take defense in the first round. Woodley i could possibly see, but no way with the 15th pick, he could very well be there in the second. I also think a RB in the second or third is not only necessary, i think it will happen. Haynes is garbage, say what you will about him being a ST contributor and a good team player, we dont need dead weight. Hunt/Bush/Leonard (mabey henry) would be good picks for us.

CB and Oline arent as big as a need as people think....CB never really was, but with mahan now we have plenty of guys that can play center or guard.

And LT>LJ by far, not even close...LJ gets more carries and had a HOF oline during his huge first year, LT has a mediocre oline and tears it up...you dont need to be a good olineman for LT to make you look great.

good stuff though, your posts are really thought out

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 04:38 PM
We need a converted DE, Moss or spencer would be perfect for us, not poz or beason. While i would love to have meachem its not a screaming need for us like OLB. I wouldnt want jarrett, hes a pussy, great college WR but hes soft. I would want Bowe or Meachem over jarrett, hell i would take ginn over jarrett. Jarrett reminds me way to much of burress. But theres no way we wont get a guy we want with the 15th pick. We will take defense in the first round. Woodley i could possibly see, but no way with the 15th pick, he could very well be there in the second. I also think a RB in the second or third is not only necessary, i think it will happen. Haynes is garbage, say what you will about him being a ST contributor and a good team player, we dont need dead weight. Hunt/Bush/Leonard (mabey henry) would be good picks for us.

CB and Oline arent as big as a need as people think....CB never really was, but with mahan now we have plenty of guys that can play center or guard.

And LT>LJ by far, not even close...LJ gets more carries and had a HOF oline during his huge first year, LT has a mediocre oline and tears it up...you dont need to be a good olineman for LT to make you look great.

good stuff though, your posts are really thought out

K-train I agree we need OLB bigtime. But I don't see the Steelers drafting Moss. Not saying that I wouldn't draft the guy but with him getting in trouble with weed might push the Steelers away from this guy. As for Spencer I wouldn't draft him at 15. You know how big of fan I'm of him but I think 15 is to early for Spencer. If the Steelers are going to draft Spencer then I say trade down and draft him.

If the Steelers stay at 15 then who knows who they will draft? Thats why I like drafting the best available player instead of drafting for need. That way you don't reach for a player. After Gaines Adams I don't think any of the other possible OLBs are worth drafting at 15.

So I wouldn't be against draft Woodley in the 2nd round if an DE/OLB isn't drafted in the first round.

I say this trade up to get Gaines Adams and throw Alan Faneca in the trade. Swap first round picks and maybe with Faneca in the trade then maybe the Steelers could get high enough to draft Adams.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-30-2007, 06:05 PM

CB isn't a need at all on day 1. OL would be a need on Day 1 at some point but certainly not in the 1st round IMO.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Can you name me a steelers line backer that ever played D-end in College. No, because a 4-3 d-end isnt built to be a 3-4 OLB. Now Adams may be the acception, but like we all think, he wont be around at 15. Gains is the ONLY guy worth drafting at our pick which is why i don think it will be wise to used that pick to get a Moss. Dont gt me wrong, they'res some great DE's in this draft but i really dont see us taking one. Look for the Steelers to try and shop that pick if they want a Linebacker and they will probley trade for a later 1st round pick and take a true linebacker. As far as Jarrett, hes tall (Ben like and needs that, he had repoted that Burress was always the first guy he looked for during the 15-1 season) he has a big frame (good for blocking) and setting records at USC as a receiver proves you are of good pedigree. He has been repeatedly reported as the best WR at goin across the middle in traffic, and w/ a 37" vertical going up for the ball is a mis-match. So your calling him a pussy tells me you didnt watch to many USC games this year because the guy is fearless when the ball is in the air. As far as shopping Faneca, forget about it. Worst case, he has a season just like porter last year. Threaten to hold out, show up ontime for camp, play out his contract, and take big money in Arizona to finish his careerw/ grimm and the Whiz.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Can you name me a steelers line backer that ever played D-end in College. No, because a 4-3 d-end isnt built to be a 3-4 OLB. Now Adams may be the acception, but like we all think, he wont be around at 15. Gains is the ONLY guy worth drafting at our pick which is why i don think it will be wise to used that pick to get a Moss. Dont gt me wrong, they'res some great DE's in this draft but i really dont see us taking one. Look for the Steelers to try and shop that pick if they want a Linebacker and they will probley trade for a later 1st round pick and take a true linebacker. As far as Jarrett, hes tall (Ben like and needs that, he had repoted that Burress was always the first guy he looked for during the 15-1 season) he has a big frame (good for blocking) and setting records at USC as a receiver proves you are of good pedigree. He has been repeatedly reported as the best WR at goin across the middle in traffic, and w/ a 37" vertical going up for the ball is a mis-match. So your calling him a pussy tells me you didnt watch to many USC games this year because the guy is fearless when the ball is in the air. As far as shopping Faneca, forget about it. Worst case, he has a season just like porter last year. Threaten to hold out, show up ontime for camp, play out his contract, and take big money in Arizona to finish his careerw/ grimm and the Whiz.

Yes I can name plenty of Steelers LB's that played DE in college. Well lets see Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, James Harrison. They all played DE in college. I guess you didn't know that the Steelers are famous for taking former DE's in college and turning them into OLB's for their 3-4 defense.

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes I can name plenty of Steelers LB's that played DE in college. Well lets see Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, James Harrison. They all played DE in college. I guess you didn't know that the Steelers are famous for taking former DE's in college and turning them into OLB's for their 3-4 defense.

:bigthumb: I was gettin ready to reply. you got it bro!!

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Nah, have to say i didnt know porter and haggans were FULLTIME DE's in Colorado State. If thats true that they never played OLB until the NFL, then i was ignorant to it. But NONE of those guys were a first round pick. If you want a guy to step right in and fill the void left by Porter, im not sure if i'd want a guy who has played a 4-3 d-end to start at linebacker. I know its reported to look for us to take a "hybrid OLB/ rush end" (like i believe Haggans and Porter were) i just hope it doesnt happen. Not in the 1st round.

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Nah, have to say i didnt know porter and haggans were FULLTIME DE's in Colorado State. If thats true that they never played OLB until the NFL, then i was ignorant to it. But NONE of those guys were a first round pick. If you want a guy to step right in and fill the void left by Porter, im not sure if i'd want a guy who has played a 4-3 d-end to start at linebacker. I know its reported to look for us to take a "hybrid OLB/ rush end" (like i believe Haggans and Porter were) i just hope it doesnt happen. Not in the 1st round.

its all good man......most of out OLB's have been DE's in college. We convert them into talented OLB's for our 3-4, works a whole hell of a lot better. Even Vrabel was a DE in college, well u know where hes at.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 07:12 PM

No problem just letting you know the Steelers are famous for drafting former DE in college and turning them into OLB at the NFL level.

As for you worrying about drafting a former DE in the first round and turning them into OLB. Well the Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware in the first round of the 2005 draft and he was a DE in college. They switched him to OLB for their 3-4 defense and he has started since his rookie year and is turning into a really good player.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, i try not to talk about what i dont know. But didnt Vrabel play OLB at OSU, now im damn near positive about that. This topic can be a bit confusing, because a 3-4 OLB will play D-end in a Nickle or Dime package. If im wrong im wrong, but i really tought those guys were all drafted as Linbackers. ANYWAY i really like us taking The best player left in the draft this year, and i really think, if hes still there, Jarrett will be the best of the rest. Or Marshawn Lynch but taking a RB first round would be an insult to Willie!!!

K Train
03-30-2007, 07:16 PM
K-train I agree we need OLB bigtime. But I don't see the Steelers drafting Moss. Not saying that I wouldn't draft the guy but with him getting in trouble with weed might push the Steelers away from this guy. As for Spencer I wouldn't draft him at 15. You know how big of fan I'm of him but I think 15 is to early for Spencer. If the Steelers are going to draft Spencer then I say trade down and draft him.

If the Steelers stay at 15 then who knows who they will draft? Thats why I like drafting the best available player instead of drafting for need. That way you don't reach for a player. After Gaines Adams I don't think any of the other possible OLBs are worth drafting at 15.

So I wouldn't be against draft Woodley in the 2nd round if an DE/OLB isn't drafted in the first round.

I say this trade up to get Gaines Adams and throw Alan Faneca in the trade. Swap first round picks and maybe with Faneca in the trade then maybe the Steelers could get high enough to draft Adams.

OMFG if we traded up to get Adams....i dunno what i would do....i would freak out, and then go buy an adams jersey lol. As for spencer, 2 months ago, 15 would have been a major reach, but his stcok has skyrocketed and i think he would be perfect for us. I love the idea of trading faneca for a higher pick and getting adams. Woodley would be a beast for us but i think Spencer would be a perfect fit for us and wouldnt mind using 15 on him. Moss has cleaned up his acta nd has done everything right thus far.....he is still a possibilty. Hes a great player who had great workouts so far and he showed up in a big way during the biggest game of his life. I think either him or Spencer would be a great pick at 15, mabey considered a reach by some, but if you think a player is gonna be great for you......reaching isnt a bad thing, all it is is insuring that you get your guy.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:19 PM
No problem just letting you know the Steelers are famous for drafting former DE in college and turning them into OLB at the NFL level.

As for you worrying about drafting a former DE in the first round and turning them into OLB. Well the Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware in the first round of the 2005 draft and he was a DE in college. They switched him to OLB for their 3-4 defense and he has started since his rookie year and is turning into a really good player.

Oh true, Ware and i BELIEVE Merriman was a DE in College (not 100% though) so yeah it is becoming a more common thing to do.

K Train
03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
With 90% of colleges running 4-3, and most of those DEs being to small to play DE full time at the pro level, we dont have much of a choice but to draft the best, most athletic "tweener" for our system because most 4-3 OLBs woul;d probably be MLB for us at the next level.....im not worried about it though, most guys are willing to make the change, thats where they are gonna make there money.....but like someone said, Ware, and most of our OLBs were all DEs, and you used to be able to get these guys in later rounds....not no more though, these types of players are grabbed up quickly nowdays.

And yes, merriman, another example

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
i really think were drafting LB's for a Depth pourpose. Silverback will start for porter this year

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh true, Ware and i BELIEVE Merriman was a DE in College (not 100% though) so yeah it is becoming a more common thing to do.

lol, Soloman Wilcox just said the same thing i did... The steelers are the Franchise of the Union or whatever on NFLN right now

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 07:29 PM
OMFG if we traded up to get Adams....i dunno what i would do....i would freak out, and then go buy an adams jersey lol. As for spencer, 2 months ago, 15 would have been a major reach, but his stcok has skyrocketed and i think he would be perfect for us. I love the idea of trading faneca for a higher pick and getting adams. Woodley would be a beast for us but i think Spencer would be a perfect fit for us and wouldnt mind using 15 on him. Moss has cleaned up his acta nd has done everything right thus far.....he is still a possibilty. Hes a great player who had great workouts so far and he showed up in a big way during the biggest game of his life. I think either him or Spencer would be a great pick at 15, mabey considered a reach by some, but if you think a player is gonna be great for you......reaching isnt a bad thing, all it is is insuring that you get your guy.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm big fan of Anthony Spencer as I started the whole draft Spencer talk. Its just there is other players I would draft at 15 other then Anthony Spencer. When I started the whole Spencer talk I was hoping we could have drafted him in the 2nd now that won't happen at all. Spencer will go in the first.

As for Jarvis Moss. I like Moss but I do think the Steelers will stay away from him with his weed troubles.

I want the Steelers to trade up for Gaines Adams bad.:bluelol:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh don't get me wrong I'm big fan of Anthony Spencer as I started the whole draft Spencer talk. Its just there is other players I would draft at 15 other then Anthony Spencer. When I started the whole Spencer talk I was hoping we could have drafted him in the 2nd now that won't happen at all. Spencer will go in the first.

As for Jarvis Moss. I like Moss but I do think the Steelers will stay away from him with his weed troubles.

I want the Steelers to trade up for Gaines Adams bad.:bluelol:

Trade a few Draft picks yes, trade a player NO NO NO. No trading Faneca.

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, i try not to talk about what i dont know. But didnt Vrabel play OLB at OSU, now im damn near positive about that.

COLLEGE CAREER: Vrabel set Ohio State career records with 36 quarterback sacks and 66 tackles for losses … Earned first-team All-America honors from Walter Camp and American Football Coaches Association as a senior … Also was named first-team All-Big Ten Conference and the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for second-straight season … Recorded 48 tackles (31 solos) and tied for team lead with nine sacks during senior campaign… Voted unanimous first-team All-Big Ten Conference selection and Big Ten Defensive Lineman of Year as a junior … Started every game at strong side defensive end and led the conference with a Buckeye season-record 26 stops for losses of 133 yards … Tied conference single-season record and broke his own school record with 13 sacks … Earned All-Big Ten Conference and Academic All-Big Ten first-team honors during sophomore season … Started every game at strong side defensive end … Set school season-record with 12 sacks … Served as a reserve defensive end but appeared in every game as freshman.

He did play at OSU. :lol: no sweat man, lots of people see OLB's playin in the NFL and figure thats what they played in college. :beer2:

K Train
03-30-2007, 07:39 PM
i would lOVE adams in black and gold....he was flawless at the combine and all he did was produce in college.......UGH we need him lol. Trade our 1st, 5th, 6th 7th and cedric wilson. Get Adams in the first, a RB/Blalock in the second, Best player in the 3rd, Sepulveda with our 4th and then we have extra picks in the 5th and 6th round....it would be amazing lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt be opposed to taking Spencer at 15, but if I know the Rooneys they'll never overpay for anyone that don't have too, especially in the first round so I'd bet they'll try and trade down if they want Spencer, maybe even down just a few spots. The fact that we need a player at his position just makes me hope we can snag him.

It really all depends on how much faith they have in Harrison and Haggans to be good starters and if they'll stick around.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Good Info Diesel. Hvae to say i didnt know Vrabel wa a D-End if you look at draft history it has him at LB from Ohio State. But yeah we can def deal wilson... if any one wants him, LOL

K Train
03-30-2007, 07:51 PM
i have all the faith in the world in Harrison, ive even read good things about arnold harrison, but i think Haggans is getting over the hill, he needs to show up in a big way or a rookie is taking his spot...jmo

steelcitysfinestXL
03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, if we did take Moss, Spencer, or by some stroke of luck Gaines Adams, isnt Haggans in his final year of his contract. i really think and would like to see Harrison start for porter this year and if we did draft one of those guys i'd like to see him phase out Haggans.

K Train
03-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Harrison can replace porters production easy, i think haggans will end up being the oddman out here, he'll play, hes making to much money not to play but a rookie will give him a run for his money, this isnt cowher, everyone has a shot here

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Trade a few Draft picks yes, trade a player NO NO NO. No trading Faneca.

You have think though that Faneca might not resign with the Steelers. I rather trade him and get something in return for him then letting walk next year without getting something in return.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Harrison can replace porters production easy, i think haggans will end up being the oddman out here, he'll play, hes making to much money not to play but a rookie will give him a run for his money, this isnt cowher, everyone has a shot here

Yes I think Harrison can replace Porters 7 sacks from last year no problem. But in the 3-4 you need your OLB's to get double digit sacks. I hope Harrison goes on and nets 12 sacks this year. I think he can do it but until he proves he can I will have some doubts.

As for Haggans he is ok but ok doesn't cut for an OLB in a 3-4 defense.

K Train
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
we would get SO much for him....*couch* cards *cough*, that way he could become the highest paid guard in history, continue his love affair with grimm, and we get the 5th overall pick.....thats a hardcore scenario...mabey trade up in the second as well to snag Blalock....could be an amazing deal

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
we would get SO much for him....*couch* cards *cough*, that way he could become the highest paid guard in history, continue his love affair with grimm, and we get the 5th overall pick.....thats a hardcore scenario...mabey trade up in the second as well to snag Blalock....could be an amazing deal

Adams,Blalock and Sepuldeva that would be the perfect draft.lol

K Train
03-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Adams,Blalock and Sepudelva that would be the perfect draft.lol

that would be my dream draft lol, mabey a RB, but we might not even need one with the best punter in the history of the world on our side, hes a truck he might even challenge willie for the job

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 09:19 PM

You are talkin bout BBC's lovin man there. He scans all messages looking for people talkin bout his boytoy Haggans. Don't you know that Clark Haggans is the heart and soul of our defense? Shame on you.........:hilarious:

:rofl: :jump1: :rofl:

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 09:23 PM
:popcorn:

BlackGold4vr
03-30-2007, 09:26 PM
:popcorn:

:popcorn2:

DIESELMAN
03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
:popcorn2:

:hilarious: No doubt! :hilarious:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-31-2007, 02:53 PM
You have think though that Faneca might not resign with the Steelers. I rather trade him and get something in return for him then letting walk next year without getting something in return.

I hear what your saying but we are thin at guard as is. If we keep him in his last contract year, you gotta think he is essentially interviewing for his next contract, and if he wants to earn bigtime money, hes gonna have to show he still has the play to back it up (note: Joey Porter did not do this last year, if so he might have landed an even bigger contract)We might see him play his best year yet!!! But for the right trade - top8 1st rnd and maybe a second... ok deal him!!!

K Train
03-31-2007, 02:59 PM
i think if we trade up in the first with faneca, trading up in the second is also neccesary to land a top olineman.....

if we traded faneca, mabey haggans, we free up a ton of cap from haggans since they would have to pick up the remainder of his contract.

it would be the perfect scenario

1st....Gaines adams
2nd....Blalock (mabey grubbs or staley)
3rd....RB/WR......Hunt/Henry/Bush might be there, or Gonzalas/Steve Smith
4th....DANIEL SEPULVDA