PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Jon Beason, LB, U. of Miami

BlackGold4vr
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
By Ed Thompson
Scout.com
Posted Mar 23, 2007

Miami's Jon Beason is getting ready for his Pro Day on April 5th, and he took a few minutes to talk with Scout.com's Ed Thompson about what he'll be doing that day, his Combine experience and more in this exclusive interview.

Ed Thompson: What are you doing right now as you continue to prepare for your final steps into the NFL?

Jon Beason: As of today, I'm just training hard for my Pro Day on April 5th, which I'm excited about. The feedback I'm getting from my agent is that I really don't have to run the forty again, but I want to. I want to be able to do it healthy and put my best foot forward and show the clubs how fast I am.

ET: You've already shown them your great sideline-to-sideline speed during the season. Do you think you'll really gain that much running the forty again?

JB: I'm expecting to run it in 4.5, which is a big improvement from my Combine numbers. So it's really just for me and my well-being.

ET: You have great versatility with playing experience at all three linebacker positions. Where do you feel you fit best at the NFL level?

JB: I think in a 4-3 scheme, which is what we ran at the University of Miami, I could come in and contribute right away at the Will (weakside) or the Sam (strongside). I think the only challenge would be the terminology since everyone has their own terminology for what they call a certain blitz or a specific coverage. But besides that, I think I can come in day one and play at the outside. In a 3-4 scheme I'd probably be a Mike (middle linebacker). The 3-4 would probably take some time to get used to it, but at the same time football is football. And once you get a grasp for what they want you to do, the philosophy and what the call is, I think I can let my athletic ability and instincts take over.

ET: What did you enjoy about the Combine?

JB: Just being a junior, I was playing a lot of catch-up. Before the Combine I was just a name and a lot of guys didn't know who I was and the teams hadn't met me yet. I had 28 interviews and it was exciting to finally present myself and show them the face behind the name.

ET: You had 28 formal interviews where you met with the team privately?

JB: Yes, that's right. Just from guys I talked to, I don't think anybody had that many. I know I'm a junior, and I think that contributed to it. That many interviews was a little bit overwhelming, but at the same time a lot of fun. I just tried to relax and be myself, and I think I did a good job of displaying who I was and giving teams the opportunity to meet me. It was great.

ET: While meeting with head coaches did you ever find yourself thinking, "wow, I can't believe I'm here and sitting and talking with this guy" or were you able to just treat it like any other conversation?

JB: I'm not so much a star-struck person. But with a lot of the coaches, it was definitely an honor being in that moment, it's something you dream about. The whole process was just a lot of fun and I feel like I embraced it.

ET: I was very impressed with how you presented yourself during your Combine press conference. Have you always been comfortable talking in front of large groups of people?

JB: My mom always told me to speak my mind, and when asked just give clear answers and full statements. I had a great high school coach who really had those qualities and took them to the next level. I think when you grow into that leadership role you're almost forced into the media side of it. All through high school and college, whenever I had an interview, it wasn't something I was scared to do. And 9 times out of 10, the words came out the way I wanted them to.

Scout.com subscribers can read the rest of our interview with Jon Beason by clicking here. Find out who is showing interest in him so far, why he's so good at reading and diagnosing plays, how he'd fit into a Cover 2 defensive scheme, and more!

I haven't really seen Beason's name associated with the Steelers in too many mocks, so in my mind that means he has a chance of being a Steeler. :lol:
He projects out to be an inside LB but Miami has put some pretty good linebackers in the NFL. I am personally hoping that the Steelers pick up 2 linebackers in this years draft. A first round tweener to play OLB and maybe an ILB as well. Kick Rian Wallace to the curb. Other than seeing his name on the roster I wouldn't know who he was! Anyway, Beason's 40 times are pretty respectable and he might not be a bad 2nd or 3rd round pick.

:beer3: