PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben needs to hit the Books

Captcoolhand
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Among the many Pittsburgh Steelers attending voluntary off-season workouts this week is Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback who's on a major damage control mission.
Since Monday, he's been showing up faithfully in Mike Tomlin's get-acquainted program that basically consists of weightlifting, running and other conditioning drills.

While the program isn't mandatory, Roethlisberger has no choice but to be here. He's trying to regain the trust of his teammates, a trust he lost last season when he went from face of the franchise to culprit most responsible for an 8-8 disgrace of a Super Bowl defense.

In fairness to Roethlisberger, he had no control over several circumstances that contributed to his fall from grace - a near-fatal motorcycle accident in June, an emergency appendectomy in September and a concussion in October.

It also didn't help Roethlisberger that ex-coach Bill Cowher allowed Roethlisberger to play in two games (a Sept. 18 loss in Jacksonville and an Oct. 29 loss in Oakland) in which a healthy and capable Charlie Batch should have started.

But beyond that, Roethlisberger lost the trust of many of his teammates because of his nonchalant attitude and work ethic.

There is a perception, fueled by some in the Pittsburgh media, that Roethlisberger doesn't work hard enough at honing his skills. At least one newspaper reporter claims Steeler players and coaches question Roethlisberger's work ethic.

It's been pointed out that last year, Roethlisberger seldom stayed after practice to get in extra work like several other Steelers did. It's been suggested that Roethlisberger was usually one of the first players to leave the practice field.

Well, first of all, most of the Steelers head to the showers the minute practice ends. Granted, it's not unusual to see the likes of Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward or Marvel Smith remain on the practice field for extra work.

On the other hand, the likes of ex-Steelers Jerome Bettis and Joey Porter never put in extra practice time.

Quite frankly, Roethlisberger's work ethic last year was the same as it was two years ago when he became the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl.

In fact, Steelers insiders say there is no problem with Roethlisberger's work ethic when it comes to lifting weights or running or the amount of energy he exudes at practice. However, there is concern about Roethlisberger's study habits.

There are people in the organization who don't believe Roethlisberger puts in enough time in off-the-field matters, whether it's watching film or studying his playbook.

The Steelers don't necessarily want Roethlisberger to be a bookworm like Peyton Manning, who spends hour upon hour watching film. But they do hope Roethlisberger, who turned 25 earlier this month, shows more diligence when it comes to studying.

Perhaps that lackadaisical approach to the mental part of the game is what hurt Roethlisberger most last year when he threw 23 interceptions, which is three more than he threw in his first two years combined.

It was interesting to hear what wide receiver Hines Ward had to say a few days before this year's Super Bowl when asked about Roethlisberger.

"Physically, Ben looked good," Ward said. "But the mental part ... well, you'll have to ask Ben."After reading this story.IMO, tells me the story Ben put out earlier this weeek, is to gain confidence from his team mates and not just the fans. It's definitly double sided:yesnod: Plus Ben really needs a good coach that can point out to Ben what He's looking at when studying film and stuff like that.
If Ben was good being this Lackluster, imagaine what he could be if he applies more effort:yesnod: Maybe he should meet up with Payton. :lol:

steelcurtaingal
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
It isnt the fans he needs to worry about. we may bitch and complain, but he doesnt have to worry about us changing our fan base because we are mad at him. I hope he can build up the trust between him and his recievers and other team mates. I am glad to see he is working at that, and have faith that the team we will see on the field will be a closer knit team than the one we say last year.

LonghornSteelerzFan
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
After reading this story.IMO, tells me the story Ben put out earlier this weeek, is to gain confidence from his team mates and not just the fans. It's definitly double sided:yesnod: Plus Ben really needs a good coach that can point out to Ben what He's looking at when studying film and stuff like that.
If Ben was good being this Lackluster, imagaine what he could be if he applies more effort:yesnod: Maybe he should meet up with Payton. :lol:

With Porter gone, they are going to look for new leadership on and off the field. They are looking to Big Ben for this leadership and to do that he is going to have to lead from the front and set an example. Studying game film and staying after regular workouts is one way to get that done. This off season will give us a good indicator of what type of QB Big Ben is, whether he will step up to the challenge. I have a feeling he will!

TampaSteelGirl
03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm glad to see Ben stepping up! Says alot for him!! No excuses...he knows what he needs to do :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Ben is doing a very good thing right now, showing up and working out while beginning to get aquainted with the new coaches and playbook is only going to help in as time goes on.

Captcoolhand
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
With Porter gone, they are going to look for new leadership on and off the field. They are looking to Big Ben for this leadership and to do that he is going to have to lead from the front and set an example. Studying game film and staying after regular workouts is one way to get that done. This off season will give us a good indicator of what type of QB Big Ben is, whether he will step up to the challenge. I have a feeling he will!I couln't have said it better:bigthumb: :clap: Ben knows that he has to develope into a leader for this team and he's been here long enough to say "eough with the BS,let get down to Business."

BlitzburghNation
03-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I keep hearing good reports on Big Ben from sirius nfl radio :bigthumb:
Pat Kirwin was bragging on him just the other day,saying ben was the 1st in
and the last out :clap: So far so good :tt02: IMO Big Ben will open alot of people's eye's on what kind of QB he truly is this year :clap:
Cannot wait for season to begin :cabbagepatch: :tt02: :cabbagepatch:

introyitrust
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
This article is very encouraging for me.
There have been several articles written abouthis poor film study habits (some have said that he was found falling asleep while watching tape) and this definitely has to change if he wants to continue to grow as an NFL QB and lead this team to another Superbowl run.

DIESELMAN
03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
It isnt the fans he needs to worry about. we may bitch and complain, but he doesnt have to worry about us changing our fan base because we are mad at him. I hope he can build up the trust between him and his recievers and other team mates. I am glad to see he is working at that, and have faith that the team we will see on the field will be a closer knit team than the one we say last year.

:plus1: Can't think of anything else to say except.....HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Friday133
03-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Good find there Capt'n. Although I for one am tired of Ward's bitching and moaning. He should keep his mouth shut and say no comment when asked about other players.

TEEMONT
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Good find there Capt'n. Although I for one am tired of Ward's bitching and moaning. He should keep his mouth shut and say no comment when asked about other players.

So should you.

Bout time Ben steps up during an off-season.

Friday133
03-23-2007, 06:34 PM
So should you.

Bout time Ben steps up during an off-season.

:blah:

Oh I forgot you have a job with the Steelers and know everything there is to know about the team. How dumb of me, I should have asked you first.

TEEMONT
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
:blah:

Oh I forgot you have a job with the Steelers and know everything there is to know about the team. How dumb of me, I should have asked you first.

Thats the smartest thing you have ever said.