PDA

View Full Version : Steelers resign Chidi Iwuoma

BlackGold4vr
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
* The Steelers re-signed special-teams ace Chidi Iwuoma, 29, on the same day they lost another free-agent coverage ace, Sean Morey. The two players were special-teams co-captains during the Steelers 2005 championship season.

Iwuoma was cut by the team at the end of the 2006 training camp and the coverage teams slipped noticeably. He was re-signed Dec. 4 and played in two games before leaving the Carolina game with a wrist injury. Iwuoma was placed in injured reserve Dec. 20 and missed the final two games.

Terms of the contract have not yet been released.

Great news! I was hoping they would resign Chidi. Every team needs that crazy gunner who flies down the field on kick coverages and sacrifices his body for the good of the team. Thats our Chidi......a man possessed on special teams.

:touchdownrun:

House of Steel
03-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I think this is one of the best signings of the offseason thus far. :tt02: :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
03-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I think this is one of the best signings of the offseason thus far. :tt02: :tt02:

:plus1:

Probably a direct result of those hours watching game films. Anybody who watches Steeler football knows the value that Chidi brings to the table!

:postal:

BlackGold4vr
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
* The Steelers report that Chidi Iwuoma's deal is for one year. In 99% of these instances, the deal is for minimum wages, but the team pays the fully vested veteran more than what's counted against the salary cap.

Not really sure how they do that but as long as it's legal and as long as we have our crazed special teams demon.......all is well in Steelerland!

:banana:

steelcurtaingal
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Not really sure how they do that but as long as it's legal and as long as we have our crazed special teams demon.......all is well in Steelerland!

:banana:

exactly! he is a good playerr, and i am glad he will be around for another year!

AZ_Steeler
03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
With the departure of Morey it makes sense. Besides Chidi is better than Morey in my book :dunno:

DIESELMAN
03-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Thats great news!!! Why he was ever cut who knows, why did it take so long to bring him back after seeing how our special teams suffered is a bigger question. Tomlin obviously sees hes worth keeping on special teams, that should say alot.

Captcoolhand
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I'll save my comments but IMO Chidi is a bum

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
This is awesome, Im glad the dude is back. He's a wild man on the field on ST covering kicks, and a good leader out there. He knows his role on the team and does a great job at it.

BlackGold4vr
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM

There was an immediate impact last year when they finally let Duce Staley go and brought back Chidi! Our special teams improved immediately. Obviously after watching game films Coach Tomlin has seen what most of us already knew.....Chidi takes our special teams from below average to great. Between Chidi and Sean Morey we definitely kept the right one IMO.

:tt02:

K Train
03-16-2007, 12:13 PM

chidi is a bum if your talking about playing defense. mabey not even that, he is way undersized. he is probably borderline worthless on defense, but damn that little guy can get down the field on a kickoff, every team has a few career special teamers and im glad hes one of ours

Black@Gold Forever32
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Great news! I was hoping they would resign Chidi. Every team needs that crazy gunner who flies down the field on kick coverages and sacrifices his body for the good of the team. Thats our Chidi......a man possessed on special teams.

:touchdownrun:

I think keeping three special team aces for the kick coverage is a bit much but with Morey gone it was a great move to bring back Chidi. That was one mistake Cowher made early last season when he cut Chidi. Yes he was brought back late in the year. But Chidi shouldn't have been cut in the first place. I wasn't a big Morey fan and I always thought Chidi was better.

Captcoolhand
03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Morey is gone, so who else do they got to bring back that knows the system?Chidi ????????????Morey was a leader and ST captian, WR if we needed him; but Chili will be nothing more but a ST player at best. I never seen him as a WR.They resign lee mays before using him

BlitzburghNation
03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=BlackGold4vr;83610]Great news! I was hoping they would resign Chidi. Every team needs that crazy gunner who flies down the field on kick coverages and sacrifices his body for the good of the team. Thats our Chidi......a man possessed on special teams.

Well put B&G4vr :clap: