Combine Results:
40: 4.67
225: 25
Shuttle: 4.33
3-Cone: 6.89
Vertical: 35"
Broad jump: 10'3"

OVERVIEW:

Timmons made the most of his only season as a starter, taking over strong side outside linebacker duties from departing All-American Ernie Holmes. Despite never starting a game on defense before his junior year, he was rated the 9th best OLB in college by ESPN before the 2006 season and named to Street and Smith's All-American preseason list.

In the 2005 season he was a terror on special teams. Registering 2 blocked kicks, 2 forced fumbles and recovering another. Playing behind Sims, he registered 35 tackles (17 solos) with 3 sacks and 3 QB pressures. Despite ranking tied for 14th in the nation and 2nd in the ACC with 18 stops behind the line of scrimmage, Timmons only received All Atlantic Coast Conference Honorable mention in 2006. He started every game at strong side linebacker, coming up with 79 tackles (42 solos), 5 sacks and 2 QB pressures. He also scored on an interception, fumble recovery and blocked punt return. Timmons also deflected 6 passes and blocked 2 kicks.

ANALYSIS:

Against the inside run: From the strong side, controls cutbacks and comes down the line aggressively to make tackles in pursuit. Takes on lead blockers and offensive linemen, holds his ground and clogs the hole. Does not use hands well to shed blocks.

Against the outside run: Holds the corner, forcing plays inside. Sheds the block, and makes the tackle. Is strong enough to jolt blockers with a hand punch and make tackles in the backfield. With a clear path, can chase down running backs before they turn the corner.

Blitz/coverage: Lacks experience as a blitzer. In college, usually lined up as a defensive end in passing situations. Can run around offensive tackles or beat them with quick, strong hands. Hits quarterbacks violently. In coverage, is polished and instinctive. Drops quickly and smoothly into zone coverage. Reads quarterbacks well, and closes quickly on the ball. Covers tight ends well man-to-man downfield. Shows the awareness to pick up tight ends on delayed releases after play-action fakes.

Run/pass recognition: Is almost always the last member of the front seven moving after the snap, but consistently reads the play. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection plays, and consistently sticks to his assignment.

Pursuit/tackling: Accelerates to full speed in a flash on runs away from him. Can chase down plays from behind. Does not move quickly through traffic. Consistently makes tackles, and can deliver violent hits. Does not always use good technique, missing some tackles.

Bottom line: Timmons, a junior, is the best strongside linebacker in the '07 class. Has good upper body strength and lower body muscle definition with adequate size and a frame that continues to mature. Possesses great athletic agility, loose hips and good suddenness closing on plays in front of him. Plays with quickness and balance to stay on his feet, showing good flexibility and range to make plays along the sidelines. Smooth open field runner who plays at a good pas level for leverage. Explosive hitter when he keeps his pads down and can work through trash. High energy type who can make plays all over the field based on his instincts. Still learning techniques and in play recognition but will not hesitate to step up and take on a lead blocker. Attacks the ball with a sudden burst but must learn to play with better control. Has the change of direction ability to turn and run after the ball with no wasted steps, showing balance and agility threading through traffic. Has the strength to reroute TE's and RB's on short area routes and when he keeps his hands in front of him he can control and get off blocks. More of a collision type tackler but takes good angles to close and uses his speed to finish a play. Quick coming off the edge with his hand on the ground and if given a small gap he has the suddenness to surprise and race past a slower offensive linemen. Shows the timing and quick feet to get a good jump on the blitz, comes off the edge with urgency and a second gear to close and push the pocket. Timmons can be effective in a 4-3 defense on the strong side or as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

BB2W
03-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Tomlin was at Florida States pro day today... It was his birthday too. He must like what he saw of Timmons on film.

New Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin knows exactly what kind of talent he'll be getting if he selects a former Florida State player in the NFL Draft.

“You always appreciate this program and how these guys work and do what they do,” said the 34-year old Tomlin. “It's the culture here where these guys love football or they can't be part of the program.”

The former Tampa Bay assistant said this was his sixth or seventh trip to Tallahassee for Pro Timing Day.

But even with four new offensive coaches on the FSU staff, Tomlin found familiarity on that side of the football.

“I worked with Jimbo (Fisher) at Cincinnati,” Tomlin said. “Jimbo is a heck of a football coach. Buckle up. They are going to be very successful. He has a passion for the game.”

link: http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/FSU0301/703150410/1002/SPORTS

K Train
03-16-2007, 01:44 AM
i like him alright

BB2W
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
LB Lawrence Timmons, who left FSU after his junior season, was hoping to improve on his pedestrian 4.6 40-yard dash time from the NFL Combine. But he reportedly ran a 4.63 on his first attempt and a 4.66 on his second. Timmons also participated in positional drills and looked good. However, he was obviously struggling to catch his breath in between repetitions, prompting an interesting post-workout exchange. Timmons' agent, Drew Rosenhaus (notorious for his most famous client, Terrell Owens) assured new Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin that Timmons would "be in shape by minicamp."

link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2007/03/meanwhile_back_.html

BB2W
03-31-2007, 12:38 PM
So much for rumors and innuendo.

The Steelers will leave the speculation and guesswork of next month's NFL Draft to prying media members and the team's vast legion of fans. The Steelers deal in facts, and the facts tell them Florida State linebacker Lawrence Timmons is a strong candidate to be taken with their first-round pick (No. 15 overall).

How much do the Steelers think of Timmons? Count the ways:

Steelers coaches, scouts and front-office staff observed Timmons at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert observed Timmons at Florida State's Pro Day on March 15.

Several general managers were present when Timmons worked out two weeks ago, but Tomlin was the only head coach to attend, and Tomlin and Colbert were the only head coach/GM tag-team there.

Oh, and did we mention that Timmons is expected to visit Pittsburgh to meet with team officials one final time prior to the April 28-29 draft?

Tomlin's presence at Florida State's Pro Day less than a month after the Combine is significant.

Tomlin could have simply gone back and watched more of Timmons on game tape or viewed his Combine performance until he needed a case of Visine, but he saw something that piqued his interest and made him want to see Timmons again in person.

Drew Rosenhaus, agent to the stars who represents Timmons, saw the same thing.

"The draft is very difficult to project. It's just too early to place Lawrence with a team. But it's always a good sign when the general manager and the head coach come and watch a player work out. It's exciting for us to see the Steelers' organization express that kind of interest in Lawrence," Rosenhaus said.

So, is the Steelers' interest in Timmons genuine, a smokescreen, or pure coincidence?

After all, the Steelers evaluate all of the top draft-eligible players thoroughly. They have to check out everybody, because you never know when a player you didn't expect to be available might fall into your lap.

However, for high-ranking members of the Steelers to schedule at least three visits with Timmons after the season -- not to mention also scouting his college games -- says a lot about Timmons as a player, and even more about the Steelers' having a legitimate interest in drafting him.

Last season, Timmons recorded 79 tackles (including 18 tackles for a loss), five sacks, one interception, one fumble recovery and two blocked kicks. He's a big hitter with the versatility to play the run, pressure the quarterback and drop into coverage.

He's comfortable playing in the 3-4 or 4-3 formation, which, coincidentally, is what the Steelers are expected to play under Tomlin.

Timmons told reporters attending the Combine that he played the 3-4 about 25 percent of the time at Florida State. He prefers the 3-4 because he can rush the quarterback from the end position.

Timmons, who left school with a year of eligibility remaining, would fill an eventual need at outside linebacker for the Steelers, who released Joey Porter and replaced him with James Harrison, who turns 29 in May.

Clark Haggans, the other starting outside linebacker, is 30.

Timmons turns 21 in May.

"Leaving early as a junior, most people still think you're a kid," Timmons said. "I just want to let them know I'm professional, and I can do anything and everything they want me to."

Tomlin seems convinced. Even after Timmons posted pedestrian times of 4.63 and 4.71 in the 40 and appeared winded between drills at Florida State's Pro Day, Tomlin came to Timmons' defense.

"The (game) tape is his walking-and-talking resume," Tomlin told the Tallahassee Democrat. "Sometimes people get enamored with workouts and things of that nature. The No. 1 thing is the tape. And his tape is his biggest ally."

No idle chatter, this.

link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_500438.html

Koopa
03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
tomlin could've been there for church too, church worked out at the pro day, and then we signed him a couple of weeks later...........

K Train
03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
now that ive read up on him, it seems he is actually a great edge pass rusher, he played some DE at FSU but was mainly used a LB due to his athleticism and playmaking ability.

BlitzburghNation
03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I believe in the front office :yesnod: We should get a stud at #15 ,,,,,,,,,

Timmons,Poz,Spencer :dunno: I still want "OKOYE":nahnah:

K Train
03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
damn get over okoye lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2007, 09:21 PM
No chance, even though there's no way he's there at 15 :lol:

DIESELMAN
04-01-2007, 09:20 AM
damn get over okoye lol

He talks about Okoye like you talk about Sepulveda :lol:

BlackGold4vr
04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I believe in the front office :yesnod: We should get a stud at #15 ,,,,,,,,,

Timmons,Poz,Spencer :dunno: I still want "OKOYE":nahnah:

Nah, ever since I read an article by Jim Wexell in the SteelCityInsider.com where he talks about Okoye going up against Dan Mozes, C, West Virginia and the article said the coaches had Dan working on some new blocking techniques. Also pointed out that they got some looks at Okoye when they played Pitt and he was nothing special. Said if we drafted him he would really have a difficult time beating out Chris Hoke on our depth chart for playing time. That kinda killed my Okoye buzz. I never saw him before the senior bowl and if you were to base your whole opinion on that........well, he was a total beast at the senior bowl. Looking at his whole body of work, he is good and he may even be great. But he is not what the Steelers need in this years draft. Our first pick should be on the best pass rushing linebacker/defensive end that we can get. If we cannot improve upon the pass rush that we had last year we could be in for a long season. Since we are staying in a 3-4 defense, I just don't see where a defensive tackle suited for a 4-3 defense will help us.

:2cents:

DIESELMAN
04-01-2007, 09:52 AM
We need an immediate impact player that can play on damn near every down. No situational players drafted on D!!!

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:20 AM
He talks about Okoye like you talk about Sepulveda :lol:
yeah but we have a legit need for sepulveda, and he is a superstar lol

BlackGold4vr
04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I am leaning towards Jon Beason, Patrick Willis and Lawrence Timmons. All 3guys are true linebackers, not converted DE's. They all have big time speed which you can't coach but there is nothing more disruptive for an offense than a guy who can beat the tackles around the ends. Beason can play inside or out. Willis is said to be suited for the inside, but I don't give much creedance to labels. Timmons is being projected as an OLB. All 3 guys have been projected as mid-first round picks. Scout.com has them ranked 16th, 22nd, and 24th. So I don't believe that any of these guys would be considered a reach for us. Spencer is still projected as a late 1st, early second round pick. No doubt, Spencer is bigger than these other guys and I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose Spencer. I just don't think they will pick him. Thats just my opinion. I believe he would have some problems dropping into coverage and covering backs or tight ends in the flats. It's April 1st so we have less than 4 weeks now until we know for sure.

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Timmons would be my pick, willis no i dont want him

BlackGold4vr
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with Posluzny either. He is a beast and he is going to be a future pro-bowler in my opinion.

K Train
04-01-2007, 11:52 AM
i would really prefer timmons over poz, timmons played alot of DE but he was to athletic to keep him there, so they moved him to OLB, he has pass rushing expirience. Poz would be a good coverage guy and run stuffer, but no one can run on us as it is, we need that guy who can disrupt the pocket

strong D
04-03-2007, 09:07 AM
I like patrick willis better than timmons i believe there is more upside there.