PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose comes clean

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Rose admits to betting on Reds every night

Pete Rose revealed Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team and that the Dowd Report was correct when it said he did so.

ESPN Radio
Pete Rose
Rose
Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Pete Rose said he bet on the Reds to win every night while he was their manager because he believed in his team. Listen

Rose spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame. The exhibit will be on display for 11 months.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

Rose accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989, but denied for nearly 15 years that he bet on baseball. He finally acknowledged in his latest autobiography, published in January 2004, that he made baseball wagers while he managed the Cincinnati Reds.

Rose said he doesn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame anymore, but if he is reinstated, he hopes to manage again in the majors.
SportsNation
Should Major League Baseball reinstate Pete Rose?
Yes
No

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [Selig's] mind," Rose said.

Rose said he believes it should be up to each individual owner whether he should manage in the majors again.

"[It's] all about dollars, Dan and Keith. If I was ever reinstated. If an owner don't want to win and draw people, don't call my number," Rose said.

Major League Baseball's Hit King also said he thinks that Mark McGwire is getting a raw deal from the writers voting for the Hall of Fame. The reason he said he supported McGwire is because nothing has been proven and they're all "allegations."

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

McGwire wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot in January because of allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs in his career.

Rose admits he made a mistake in betting on baseball.

"I made a big mistake. It's my fault, It's nobody's else's fault," Rose said. However, he said he should be reinstated because "I'm the best ambassador baseball has."

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company.

The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a record 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Pete Rose said he bet on the Reds to win every night while he was their manager because he believed in his team.who knows if its true or not but someone please explain to me whats wrong with that? Theres a big difference in betting on your team to win or to lose, I realize its still gambling but its also a difference IMHO between getting banned from the game of baseball for life and maybe a suspension or being fired. If your betting on your team to win, as a manager you make the best possible decisions to help your team to win, hell thats what he was getting paid to do. So he had a great deal of confidence in his team that he bet on them to win, not to lose, to win. Now if he was betting on the Reds to lose, well thats a whole different animal right there. Rose as the manager can influence the outcome of a game more in a loss then in a win. He can make all kinds of calls that could hurt the Reds in trying to win the game. While we are on the subject of lifetime bans....whats the difference between betting on your own team and using steroids to gain an unfair advantage over your opponents?

Blitzburgh55
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Either way he should be in the Hall of Fame as a Player

Black@Gold Forever32
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I think Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson both deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

As the alltime hits leader yes Pete Rose should be in the Hall. He has paid for his "crimes" against baseball.

As for Shoeless Joe. I'm still trying to figure out how he played a part in throwing the 1919 World Series? He only hit .375 for the Series and hit the only homerun in that Series. If he was throwing those games damn. Just imagine if he wasn't?

floodcitygirl
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand a tremendous talent. He was great for Cincy as a player and great for the game of baseball....Charlie Hustle. But at the same time I look at it like some of these other pro athletes that break the rules that they clearly know about or break the law. They know it but do this stupid stuff anyway. It's like spitting on the natural talent that they've been given and all the hard work and sacrifice that they've put in....and alot of times the sacrificies of their families to get them there. It makes me feel like they don't deserve it.

Hard call. I can tell you the vast majority of people here in Cincy are absolutely passionate about the fact that Pete should be in the Hall.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand a tremendous talent. He was great for Cincy as a player and great for the game of baseball....Charlie Hustle. But at the same time I look at it like some of these other pro athletes that break the rules that they clearly know about or break the law. They know it but do this stupid stuff anyway. It's like spitting on the natural talent that they've been given and all the hard work and sacrifice that they've put in....and alot of times the sacrificies of their families to get them there. It makes me feel like they don't deserve it.

Hard call. I can tell you the vast majority of people here in Cincy are absolutely passionate about the fact that Pete should be in the Hall.

I agree, he should be in the Hall of Fame. I grew up watching The Big Red Machine roll!! Its sad to see such a great career be denied for something he did after his career as a player was over with. As far as these other athletes go, the only thing I can think of as far as them not being punished for much worse crimes (drugs, steroids) against baseball. Is they can still play, most of them are recognizable faces and can still give baseball an attraction (money!!!). Double standard at its finest...****ers!!!

MRS Steelerfan
03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I have one thing to say about Pete Rose--- He has the best Bar and Grill in FL-- well used to ..DJ's friend used to manage the place-- It was the best-- He used to do his radio talk shows from there..The FOOD ROCKED.. not to mention it was FREEE.. (haha , as I typed this his friend TOm who managed this place calls.From FL, nonetheless; wonder if his ears were burning...) lol

floodcitygirl
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree, he should be in the Hall of Fame. I grew up watching The Big Red Machine roll!! Its sad to see such a great career be denied for something he did after his career as a player was over with. As far as these other athletes go, the only thing I can think of as far as them not being punished for much worse crimes (drugs, steroids) against baseball. Is they can still play, most of them are recognizable faces and can still give baseball an attraction (money!!!). Double standard at its finest...****ers!!!I get what you're saying and it's true that he wasn't a player. But there seems to be alot of people that think he bet as a player too. And there is nothing to say that he didn't bet against the Reds. It can't be proved. Like I said, I'm torn. Most I know feel like you do though.

TEEMONT
03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Let him in....best player ever.

Steelerlyn
03-14-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree with Flood, I also have mixed feelings and am torn. But every baseball fan I know (well, MOST baseball fans I know) feel he should be in the HOF

BBG7
03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I don't think gambeling should keep him from that honor. He deserves it and has been punished long enough for it!

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-15-2007, 01:51 AM
But at the same time I look at it like some of these other pro athletes that break the rules that they clearly know about or break the law. They know it but do this stupid stuff anyway. It's like spitting on the natural talent that they've been given and all the hard work and sacrifice that they've put in....and alot of times the sacrificies of their families to get them there. It makes me feel like they don't deserve it.

Flood he should be in peroid. MLB players cheated yesterday. they will cheat the system today. They will cheat the system tomorrow. Hell players were taking roids in the 80's. So yes Rose should be in the hall of fame. He would just join other cheaters and betters that are retired in the hall of fame. Also active athletes that bet on pro sports.

Ambridge
03-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I have no sympathy for Pete Rose.
Supposedly there's been a mounted sign in every Major League Clubhouse stating "That betting on Baseball in any capacity is not permitted and is subject to being banned from MLB".
The sign was there when Rose played and he chose to disregard it.

Statistically Rose should be in the HOF but he commited the "Deadly Sin" in baseball and should never be allowed admission.

Had Pete Rose been as forthcoming and contrite from the beginning as he is now then he probably would have already been inducted into the HOF but he chose to Boldly proclaim his innocence and having done nothing wrong for quite a few years.
Can't have it both ways Pete!!

floodcitygirl
03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Many of these are the very reasons why I'm torn on this. I think both sides have very valid arguments. :dunno:

Stlrs4Life
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Either way he should be in the Hall of Fame as a Player

Exactly. Pete deserves to be in there for his play and hitting. Regardless.

House of Steel
03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I am for Pete Rose to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. You will never find a great hitter like this man. He was a dominant part of the Big Red Machine with Johnny Bench.

jasonbay
03-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont care if he bet or not but when someone makes the HOF when they used roids he should get in as well.

floodcitygirl
03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
For those who are interested, Pete Rose is on Jay Leno tonight.

Dako
03-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Lets see.....
first it was totally untrue and i believed him
next he gambled, but not on baseball....and i believed him
then he gambled, on baseball, but not on the reds.....i bought his book
and believed him
then he gambled, a few days a week on the reds to win.... and i
believed him
Now he gambled every day on his team to win......can't wait until the next revelation.......tired of being "charlie hustled"

Madden King
04-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I know this is kind of an old topic, but I just wanted to say what I felt about Pete Rose. I have always felt that he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame and I still do, for the most part. However, I have lost a ton of respect for him. I can't believe he waited this long to FINALLY come clean. Having said all that, his induction should come at some point and time. After all, he is the all-time hits leader! That is a record that will never be broken. At least, not in my lifetime.

DallasRules
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
i loved Pete Rose back in the day... he should be in the Hall of Fame too bad it will take a different commish, and he will be dead if it ever happens.